• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls delisted, becoming Skullgirls Encore (see post #288 for latest updates)

ArjanN

No articles, but people commenting. Like Shoryuken and facebook comments on some game pages. They keep mentioning Mike Z is bad and etc. Any reasons for this or just bad people wishing him the worst? :/

Sounds like basic youtube comments level stuff. Ignore as always.

El Sloth

Banned
No articles, but people commenting. Like Shoryuken and facebook comments on some game pages. They keep mentioning Mike Z is bad and etc. Any reasons for this or just bad people wishing him the worst? :/
Their logic is possibly, "this is what he deserves for making such a shit game," or something.

Mista Koo

I'm conflicted. I haven't bought the game yet and I've always wanted to but kept putting it off, however, the issue is this. My PC isn't a gaming PC, it's a 7 year old desktop that's used for internet browsing. So my only recourse to buy the game is PS3 but I don't want to give Konami money for their bullshit actions here.

If I wait until it's delisted, is there a chance it'll be relisted later without Konami or am I screwed here?
I've run it on my Surface tablet.
. . because my laptop couldn't run it.

Skullgirls should work on prettty much any desktop computer with a dedicated graphics card, unless it's mega ancient.

Laptops are a bit harder--- it won't work on your average laptop from 3+ years ago unless it has a non-integrated graphics card, but all the newer ones should run SG fine without a graphics card(thank you, HD3000/4000).

If it's Windsagio, he really doesn't like Mike. No idea the reason.

Windsagio is some sort of game designer now(I think, not sure), but before that he was a pretty active theorycrafter on SRK forums(he may still be, idk). In the months leading up to Skullgirls' launch he was a pretty vocal detractor of Skullgirls' MVC2-inspired design in general--largely because he felt that imitating the older games to that degree was creatively bankrupt, IIRC.

He was also a vocal doubter of the IPS, and dead certain it could be 'broken' in a way that defeated its purpose; at some point he and Mike exchanged words over it, and Mike Z called him out because all of his criticisms were based on theory and not any form of testing or implemented design he'd done himself. I think they weren't big fans of each other up until that point(or at least in Windsaigo's case; not sure if Mike had read his stuff until then or not), but that was where it seemed to cross over into 'beef' territory to me.

I remember this because I encouraged that discussion to happen; Windsaigo or 'xes' as he was named back then was someone I thought was pretty bright and consistently willing to take up smarter(if pure-theory-driven) arguments versus the SRK old guard, who literally thought copy-pasting Capcom/SNK design philosophy was the only way to make a fighting game. So maybe you can blame me for the bad blood, heh.

For the record, I still think the guy is very smart, and will probably make something very interesting one day if he continues to apply himself.

Anyway, tldr is that Mike Z is a guy who doesn't mince words, so he sometimes makes enemies like that.

I'm sorry for the devs, but this is what happens when you deal with
Konami. I don't think I've bought any Konami games in years, and I'll happily keep ignoring them.

petran79

Banned
thats the issue with consoles.

Sony and Microsoft wouldnt like to damage relations with their big friend Konami

Lets see them do that to a Konami game.....

Kenneth

Neo Member
The game's trash IMO but damn, Konami is ruthless. There has to be some behind the scenes feud we OENO about

Conan-san

Are you really surprised? Their first response to legitimate criticism is to shut off an entire vector of PR just to spite one reviewer.

Granted that person IS Jim Sterling and as such I was mildly surprised he didn't draw X-pac heat before that but good god.

Sorry to the SG devs, and I hope it all works out. :( Komani is such a pile of hot trash, I haven't played anything they've put out since PS2 days. They can't even get Suikoden II up on PSN so heck 'em.

Ravidrath

Mike and I met Windsagio at Evo, and he was... surprisingly pleasant? Like completely the opposite of how he acts online.

Mike wasn't going to let him get away with his constant trolling in person just because he was being nice, but he thanked him for being nice.

The guy is smart, but definitely has an attitude problem online. Go, go internet anonymity, I guess.

Ravidrath

There has to be some behind the scenes feud we OENO about

It's just bad blood from the DefJam Rapstar legal saga. Konami wants nothing to do with Autumn Games any more, and the feeling is mutual.

We just expected that we'd get some heads-up so we can transition the game without impacting our customers. But Konami seems pretty intent on shitting on them, too, I guess.

Hey, saw this break and realized I should have probably got ahead of this a while ago.

What I can say about the really tense situation is that there is definitely one side of the story being told here. Unfortunately, based on how this company/industry operates, we'll be lucky to hear the other side one day.

This whole thing comes down LEGALLY to Konami vs. Autumn, not Konami vs. LZ. I personally have been an adamant supporter of trying to go above and beyond in pushing the title on our official Social Media channels. I've been a big supporter of the title and a big fan of everything they've accomplished (and I type this while wearing my Peacock shirt). [Edited for legal reasons.]

And if you do wind up coming onto our social media sites to vent, so be it. But we're a little above interns. It'll be my inbox that gets filled up with it. I understand this frustration better than most will ever know. It's a shitty situation and we're all trying to get through it.

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
What I can say about the really tense situation is that there is definitely one side of the story being told here. Unfortunately, based on how this company/industry operates, we'll be lucky to hear the other side one day.

Are you able to tell us anything at all about Konami's side of the story?

And for the record, I'll only be buying used copies of Konami games from now on.

Ravidrath

This whole thing comes down to Konami vs. Autumn, not Konami vs. LZ.

And if you do wind up coming onto our social media sites to vent, so be it. But we're a little above interns. It'll be my inbox that gets filled up with it. I understand this frustration better than most will ever know. It's a shitty situation and we're all trying to get through it.

While we obviously have some issues with Konami, but I've always tried to make it clear that Konami isn't directly taking action against us and we're caught in the crossfire between Konami and Autumn. But since ultimately it does fall to us to fix it, it has obviously created a bit of a crisis for our team and is going to result in some delays on IGG work, etc.

We also made a point from the start to ask people not to yell at Konami on Twitter, etc. because this is all coming from high-up, and it won't solve anything. So I hope you guys aren't getting too much blowback from it.

That said, I think Konami should've seen this coming and taken steps to avoid it. Not so much for PR reasons, but for the customers that gave them money when they purchased the game. Because in the end, the store downtime and transitional stuff is going to hurt them far more than it hurts Autumn or Lab Zero.

Silky

Banned
Hey, saw this break and realized I should have probably got ahead of this a while ago.

This whole thing comes down to Konami vs. Autumn, not Konami vs. LZ. I personally have been an adamant supporter of trying to go above and beyond in pushing the title on our official Social Media channels. I've been a big supporter of the title and a big fan of everything they've accomplished (and I type this while wearing my Peacock shirt). However, I, nor any other of the many fans at the company are in the position to change the official outcome of this (so you can imagine where this comes from).

Sounds right enough to me. Here's hoping for the best.

Silky

Banned
relax and try to read cautiously.

Imagine if they removed MGS5 from the list

Then they would have to, because that's their choice as a publisher. MS and Sony have no say of what can be /removed/ from the Marketplace, especially if it's content they don't own like a third party title. There's no underlying scene in this scenario.

I wouldn't put it past Konami to do something as moronic as removing MGS from the Marketplace.

Ravidrath

Didn't see it posted, so figured I would...!

When Skullgirls comes back to the stores, it'll be called "Skullgirls Encore!"

We're just trying to differentiate the game from the Konami era, in your Trophy list, etc. And it fit with that being the console intro of the IGG content.

Same game, slightly altered name.

We're just trying to differentiate the game from the Konami era, in your Trophy list, etc. And it fit with that being the console intro of the IGG content.

Trophies will be changed with the new name or will it become a seperate list?

TDLink

So if I already own the game on PSN, when the "Encore" version gets listed I'll just be able to download that, right?

In a roundabout way it's like we ended up getting Super Skullgirls anyways, if you compare the list of changes between vanilla Skullgirls and the one that's going to drop on consoles with Encore. Also kind of funny how having to send a remaster is going to work out in LZ's favor (I think?) with regards to the 360 version's patch size.

Ravidrath

Trophies will be changed with the new name or will it become a seperate list?

As far as PSN is concerned, this is an all new game. So you'll have Skullgirls and Skullgirls Encore entries in your Trophy list.

So if I already own the game on PSN, when the "Encore" version gets listed I'll just be able to download that, right?

We're still waiting to hear from Sony exactly how this will work, and I've been asked not to comment on the exact mechanics until things are further along. But I think you're on the right track.

In a roundabout way it's like we ended up getting Super Skullgirls anyways, if you compare the list of changes between vanilla Skullgirls and the one that's going to drop on consoles with Encore. Also kind of funny how having to send a remaster is going to work out in LZ's favor (I think?) with regards to the 360 version's patch size.

We don't need to remaster the 360 version, so that's going to stay the same.

The PS3 version should be like half the size of the original game, though.

Ravidrath

Small update.

After weeks of wrangling, we finally got Konami to agree to delay the PSN deactivation until 12/31.

So there will still be some store downtime in January, most likely, but this should help keep it to a minimum.

Ravidrath

Good to know that I won't have to rebuy the game. So when can we expect more new DLC? Will the DLC also be crossbuy?

Big Band is getting pretty close. Hopefully we have have him out within a month or so of the transition.

And cross-buy on new DLC? It's only compatible with Encore.

joe2187

Banned
I mean crossbuy as in PS4/PS3/Vita, my bad.

SG is only available on PS3/360/PC

I would quadruple dip on a Vita version though.

SG on dat OLED

lordofthefiles_homer-drool.gif

Replicant

Weird. The game is still on PSN now but even though I've purchased it, it no longer shows that I've purchased it. It now has the pricetag of $14.99. My purchase is still registered in the download list though. Is this because of the Konami dispute thing? Will the new version solves the issue?

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
Weird. The game is still on PSN now but even though I've purchased it, it no longer shows that I've purchased it. It now has the pricetag of $14.99. My purchase is still registered in the download list though. Is this because of the Konami dispute thing? Will the new version solves the issue?
If I had to guess, I'd say it was delisted and now re-listed. Meaning the game listed today is technically a different game.

thelastword

Banned
Will this game get a platinum trophy? I've already bought the game just wondering if you guys would make it more appealing trophy wise.

Ravidrath

Will this game get a platinum trophy? I've already bought the game just wondering if you guys would make it more appealing trophy wise.

No, it won't.

This is just a relisting / new version of the existing game. It all happened so quickly that even if that had been an option, there wouldn't have been the time or money to implement and test a whole new suite of trophies.

Top Bottom