• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Character vote | The Campaign united us, The Voting will destroy us

Chindogg

Sorry, I like the game but I don't like cutesy "moe" characters. I don't like Annie's, Minette's, or Aeon's look or design. That's my opinion. If I wanted characters like that, I'd play Arcana Heart.

Chindogg

what is moe

Moe in a nutshell:

Wikipedia said:
According to Patrick W. Galbraith it means "a rarefied pseudo-love for certain fictional characters (in anime, manga, and the like) and their related embodiments."[1][2] notes that it is a pun derived from a Japanese word that literally means "budding," as with a plant that is about to flower, and thus it can also be used to mean "budding" as with a preadolescent girl.[3] Since this word is also a homonym for "burning" pronounced moe (燃え?), there is also speculation that the word stems from the burning passion felt for the characters.[4] The word has come to be used to mean one particular kind of "adorable", one specific type of "cute", mainly as applied to fictional characters.

Moonlight

Banned
Moe in a nutshell:
N8Zm12u.gif

Dresden

Moe in a nutshell:

For a more historical perspective.

Moe is bound up with visual image (there is an interesting analysis and discussion of this aspect on the Heisei Democracy blog) but not restricted by it. Character and story function are more powerful. The ‘budding’ aspect of the term requires that a character attracting moe should be in an emergent or transitional state, hence younger and less powerful even than the one the audience identifies with. The character’s potential is undefined, although hints of some past mystery, enormous potential power or talent are often present. But whatever gifts the beautiful infant may possess, its entire life will be defined and determined by its relationships, and its protective father or big brother, though quite possibly insignificant in every other way, will thus be the central figure in its story.

Chindogg

That differs from person to person.

Exactly, its a more complicated word than simply "cute." Similar to "nakama," there's no real direct translation for "moe." I was merely trying to explain it without being insulting and snarky (due to my distaste for the whole archetype.)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Exactly, its a more complicated word than simply "cute." Similar to "nakama," there's no real direct translation for "moe." I was merely trying to explain it without being insulting and snarky (due to my distaste for the whole archetype.)

That means you find Minette cute lol :p

Annie is not "moe", a pissed girl that's a badass is not moe at all. I guess Minette can be considered moe because of her design and supposed personality.

Not like I have any problem with moe crap, I just want any of them in the game

A question that plagues the best and brightest of animeGAF.

Getting a good answer here is something not even worth thinking about.

Actually, the two definitions linked were pretty good IMO.

Annie is not "moe", a pissed girl that's a badass is not moe at all. I guess Minette can be considered moe because of her design and supposed personality.

Not like I have any problem with moe crap, I just want any of them in the game

The way I see it, anything can be considered "moe". But nothing is inherently "moe". You as a viewer see a character and possibly make that decision, if that's something you're interested in doing.

I mean, there's the marketing/common artstyle traits of characters where the artist is intending for you to hopefully find said character(s) "moe", but it's always going subjective based on the viewer.

By the same token, character art merely intended to have certain traits i.e. "cute" can now be interpreted as the artist possibly intending for you the viewer to find the character "moe" if you're into that sort of thing, and it's understandable if people are turned off by that. But they're not mutually inclusive.

Even considering all of that, people can just not like the stuff commonly used to sell a character as "moe" in the first place. I think that's where Chindogg is coming from.

It freaks me out when people see someone in anime pillows or a sexually suggestive tone when I don't or when the creator never intended such a thing. Sorta how some straight guys freak out whenever a gay guy is near them like they're obviously willing to bonk any Joe six-pack that comes near.

What is that? It's an honest question. Not trying to stir anything up. I can see the freaky in Valentine, but Minette and Annie? Really weird how things go from 0 to 60mph in a split second there.

Top Bottom