• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Character vote | The Campaign united us, The Voting will destroy us

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I kinda stopped following the drama of voting after the accursed footwear got eliminated, but I guess I better get ready to fight the good fight in round two.

Vote socially responsible footwear. Vote arch support. Vote anybody but Beowulf.

only one man could drive me to insanity right now
image.php

I kinda stopped following the drama of voting after the accursed footwear got eliminated, but I guess I better get ready to fight the good fight in round two.

Vote socially responsible footwear. Vote arch support. Vote anybody but Beowulf.

you have my vote

even if I'll be the happiest motherfucker in the world if Annie/Minette wins, #TeamPenis could win round 2 and I'll just be like w/e

Beckx

Does vote 2 start monday?

I think I have to stay up tonight to see the salt fest. The condemnations of the fanbase of the winning character will be glorious.

Round 2 I am probably going to carry on with PF, Beowulf, Isaac and Stanley. I think most people, even those who got a character they wanted, are going to stay in the same general field, rather than switch.

I think the current top four will also make a re-entrance into the next top 4, though, and Beowulf will almost certainly fill the gap. So we'll be voting for Beowulf or one of the ones we can already vote for.

Nah, it's Annie. People dig her cute looks, her power cosmic theme, and the story potential she provides. A lot of people don't mind her. Most likely to win.

I'M LIKE 95% sure it's freaking Eliza, and god damn, I hope I'm wrong and you're right

If it's Annie I'll just celebrate like crazy, these last 4 weeks would have a great ending, and yet, I like Eliza, she has great gameplay potential.

NEO0MJ

If we list the voted characters into main features they provide:

Story: Annie, Aeon, Eliza
Cuteness: Annie, Aeon, Minette
Badassery:Annie, Eliza
Gameplay: Aeon, Eliza, Minette

The only thing missing from Annie is gameplay as her fight style seems relatively simple compared the others , but because most players are casual (at least that's what the data from the poll tells us) yeah she's the winner.

If we list the voted characters into main features they provide:

Story: Annie, Aeon, Eliza
Cuteness: Annie, Aeon, Minette
Badassery:Annie, Eliza
Gameplay: Aeon, Eliza, Minette

The only thing missing from Annie is gameplay as her fight style seems relatively simple compared the others , but because most players are casual (at least that's what the data from the poll tells us) yeah she's the winner.
That is a good thing in a game like Skullgirls. Commentary was talking about this at last night and how she would be one of the most approachable characters in the game.

I need simple because Squigly and Big Band are definitely going to be more technical.

Edit: At Salty, not last night.

That's why I really don't like her. Sword-wielding characters are very overdone and boring, she's a trope-defying magical girl, which isn't very interesting, and her gimmick is astral stuff that hasn't been explained. Compared to the other three, she's very uninteresting!

It doesn't help that she'd be the fifth character to feature a short skirt, the third parasite user, and the second child character. She just isn't interesting.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That is a good thing in a game like Skullgirls. Commentary was talking about this last night and how she would be one of the most approachable characters in the game.

Actually the whole most players are casual would be more of a push for minette than annie imo.

Though annie would benefit that player base in general and be a good introduction character to the series *because it doesn't really have one*

Even if Minette doesn't win both Big Band, Robo Fortune, and Squiggly are characters I would play so it's not like I lost out on anything in the long run. I just really like minette :D

Actually the whole most players are casual would be more of a push for minette than annie imo.

Though annie would benefit that player base in general and be a good introduction character to the series *because it doesn't really have one*

Peacock and Cerebella. Also, Valentine.

No and No

Peacock can be played successfully by just focusing on her zoning tools and doing easy combos when you get hits. Cerebella is a versatile grappler with great normals and easy combos.

EDIT: And Valentine has nice simple stuff too.

The problem with the game in regards to "starter characters" is that Fillia was the first character shown, she's referred to as the shoto-alike and she's more difficult to use than several other characters (and she was also bottom tier at launch, which didn't help).

NEO0MJ

That is a good thing in a game like Skullgirls. Commentary was talking about this last night and how she would be one of the most approachable characters in the game.

That's a nice way to approach how her fight style would be relatively simple is actually a positive for her.

Well, there's Filia, but yeah most characters are a bit too quirky. And while a lot of casuals love how adorable Minette is, her fight style doesn't seem beginner friendly at all.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well, there's Filia, but yeah most characters are a bit too quirky. And while a lot of casuals love how adorable Minette is, her fight style doesn't seem beginner friendly at all.
I really really don't consider Filia's real bnb combos beginner friendly
Peacock can be played successfully by just focusing on her zoning tools and doing easy combos when you get hits. Cerebella is a versatile grappler with great normals and easy combos.

EDIT: And Valentine has nice simple stuff too.
and just because you think basic zoning is easy after a certain point you just get ran over hard unless you get very smart with it.

Cerebella being the type of character she is is why I dont consider her new player friendly even with easy combos

and I already said I consider Valentine borderline

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I wonder if Annie is as green as she is, has anything to do with

1092142584_resLettuce.gif

being Alex's favorite on Tokyo Mew Mew or something... XD

Anyway, I'll be well distracted by Toonami over night, so I'll get some time to think about my reactions to the winner, before letting it all loose. Even if the winnder ends up as my personal least-favorite, I'll still be happy for fans of Annie XD

No matter what happens, I know I'll stick with Molly and Roxie in the start of Character Round 2... would be wild to see either of them make it into top 4.

If I thought it possible, I'd totally support team Adam; especially if the Egrets he fought beside + he all had some unique designs and moves. Having a character that works with the ratio system of the Gundam Extreme VS series in a 2D fighter sounds pretty refreshing, really.

and just because you think basic zoning is easy after a certain point you just get ran over hard unless you get very smart with it.

Yes, but we're talking about people that are new to fighting games/Skullgirls. You'll get run over even if you're playing a braindead character if the opponent is better and the game is balanced...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yes, but we're talking about people that are new to fighting games/Skullgirls. You'll get run over even if you're playing a braindead character if the opponent is better and the game is balanced.

Well that's the thing with shoto-likes, even if the other player is vastly better you always have some basic tools to help you vs them. The closest to that in the game right now is Ms.Fortune imo but her head mechanic might be really fucking weird to new players

Edit: Parasoul is a good example as well and a better one in some cases
v

Filia is not simple and Valentine is one of the worst when it comes to execution. The former has some awkward BNBs that look sweet as hell when pulled off and the latter has some weird hitstun once you launch characters.

Parasoul would be the easiest(and absolutely bonkers) if she didn't have charge moves.

NEO0MJ

I really really don't consider Filia's real bnb combos beginner friendly

I doubt most casuals will bother learning the more technical combos. She has good and simple to use mobility, a nice set of easy to use normals with no command normals/target combos, and basic, as well as efficient specials. While she's no Ryu, she's as close as this game got to a beginner friendly character.

Parasoul would be the easiest(and absolutely bonkers) if she didn't have charge moves.

That, and her projectiles are pretty difficult to use well. Plus, egrets.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I doubt most casuals will bother learning the more technical combos. She has good and simple to use mobility, a nice set of easy to use normals with no command normals/target combos, and basic, as well as efficient specials. While she's no Ryu, she's as close as this game got to a beginner friendly character.

Only if you consider Millia Rage a beginner friendly character

NEO0MJ

So who is the most simple character in the game?

I'm sticking with Filia, but I think we found out that none of them are really easy to use.

It couldn't get easier than fireball motions. The egrets having different functions would probably throw people off.

But her fireballs have the timer/detonator thing going for them. Most beginners can't use regular projectiles easily, so how are they supposed to use those with timers?

I don't see the problem with having a easy to play character, she could still have some crazy combos.

I'm just saying that the hardcore might be more interested in a character's potential playstyle than her design.

Loona

Peacock and Cerebella. Also, Valentine.

Grapplers are never starter characters, and ranged characters are too lacking close up, so none of them qualify.

Valentine's the closest to having a bit of both IMO, and even then she's got her own specific mechanics with the poisons, revival of allies and counter super.

Azure J

^_^ A perfect way to spend these kinda long hours of waiting too! I´ve lost a few Saturdays to Wii U + Toonami takeovers now... SG Voting results have been a nice bonus!

ToonamiGAF is the best. I'm still salty that I missed Excalibur-gate last week with the crew.

Top Bottom