• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sky: Children of Light launches today (December, 6th) on PS4/PS5

MaKTaiL

X7TjqGVEUQU9SL2sLDZn6k.jpg
Sky-Children-of-the-Light-1024x576.jpg

From creators of Journey and Flower:

They will also be making a live concert of AURORA in-game after The Game Awards!

I always wanted to play this game but I don't like playing anything on a phone. Can't wait to see how the graphics will look like on PS4/PS5.
The PS Store page is not up yet. They said on Twitter that it will launch later today.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I played a bit of this on my phone and didn't find it nearly as engrossing as Flower or Journey. Maybe BECAUSE I was playing on my phone, don't know.

Will try the PS5 version when it hits PS+. Lol.

MaKTaiL

I played a bit of this on my phone and didn't find it nearly as engrossing as Flower or Journey. Maybe BECAUSE I was playing on my phone, don't know.

Will try the PS5 version when it hits PS+. Lol.
The game is free to play. Also yeah, I hate playing anything on a phone. The controls are terrible too. I'll certainly connect more with it on console.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The game is free to play. Also yeah, I hate playing anything on a phone. The controls are terrible too. I'll certainly connect more with it on console.

Ah, will maybe give it another go then. Unless your progress is gated by microtransactions. I hate that more than anything, don't tease me with a "free" game and then pull that shit.

MaKTaiL

Ah, will maybe give it another go then. Unless your progress is gated by microtransactions. I hate that more than anything, don't tease me with a "free" game and then pull that shit.
I think only cosmetics are being sold through microtransactions at the moment. I might be wrong though. I'll find out later today.

EDIT

When they released the game on Switch they said Sky was "Free to start". I'm not sure what that means TBH.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
About time, always should have been on as many platforms as possible, it's a free to play GaaS for Christ sake!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think only cosmetics are being sold through microtransactions at the moment. I might be wrong though. I'll find out later today.

EDIT

When they released the game on Switch they said Sky was "Free to start". I'm not sure what that means TBH.

That usually means the first few levels are free, then you have to pay to unlock the rest of the game. I.e. a demo.

MaKTaiL

The AURORA concert was awesome! It is really an unique experience, I recommend anyone to try it out. The concert will repeat every 4h up until January, 2nd. My session had 3900 players simultaneously. Some screenshots I took on PS5:

K1nAjS0.jpg
LhgI5t4.jpg

Some from the AURORA concert (yes, each avatar is an ACTUAL player in this photo):

Zd0cOPV.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The AURORA concert was awesome! It is really an unique experience, I recommend anyone to try it out. The concert will repeat every 4h up until January, 2nd. My session had 3900 players simultaneously. Some screenshots I took on PS5:

K1nAjS0.jpg
LhgI5t4.jpg

Some from the AURORA concert (yes, each avatar is an ACTUAL player in this photo):

Zd0cOPV.jpg
huh, interesting. Looks pretty cool.

Played the game. Then went to the subreddit to see what is worth trying and got some mixed reviews. First. it seems a majority of the players agree to get to what is called Eden to be the highlight of playing Sky. Second, there is a huge discontent among players towards ThatGamingCompany approach and focus on microtransactions (everything so far seems to be only cosmetic, I think. So it doesn't really bother me since I got over most FOMO tactics from the games I played). Third, there are a lot of complaints about the game being riddled with bugs and performance being shaky on platforms like the Switch.

In conclusion.

The good, the game seems to be Journey but F2P with an evolving world and asynchronous matchmaking (just like Journey) but on a larger scope and with a passionate community.

The bad, the developers seem too focused on profit and are leaving key areas like story and platform support on the sidelines. I've heard FOMO is real and players get bombarded with limited-time events that don't give enough in-game currency to buy event items in an attempt to force players into buying the Battle Pass or game currency. Grinding is a chore, and developers basically nerfed every way of passive/afk farming. Switch and Mobile players (mostly android) are getting shat on for numerous bugs. Playstation seems to already have shipped with some old-time bugs that were fixed in later mobile/switch patches.

I've played for a total of 5+ hours to grasp the gameplay loop and to see if the is for me. I liked what I saw mostly for the Journey nostalgia factor, so I'll play till current story events and bailout for most limited-time events cause I don't really care about the cosmetics I saw. The only thing I find funny is that the developers wanted to create a game with no toxicity and bullying but from what I saw players like to ignore others who don't have the latest cosmetics hahaha.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Played the game. Then went to the subreddit to see what is worth trying and got some mixed reviews. First. it seems a majority of the players agree to get to what is called Eden to be the highlight of playing Sky. Second, there is a huge discontent among players towards ThatGamingCompany approach and focus on microtransactions (everything so far seems to be only cosmetic, I think. So it doesn't really bother me since I got over most FOMO tactics from the games I played). Third, there are a lot of complaints about the game being riddled with bugs and performance being shaky on platforms like the Switch.

In conclusion.

The good, the game seems to be Journey but F2P with an evolving world and asynchronous matchmaking (just like Journey) but on a larger scope and with a passionate community.

The bad, the developers seem too focused on profit and are leaving key areas like story and platform support on the sidelines. I've heard FOMO is real and players get bombarded with time-limited events that don't give enough in-game currency to buy event items in an attempt to force players into buying the Battle Pass or game currency. Grinding is a chore, and developers basically nerfed every way of passive/afk farming. Switch and Mobile players (mostly android) are getting shat on for numerous bugs. Playstation seems to already have shipped with some old-time bugs that were fixed in later mobile/switch patches.

I've played for a total of 5+ hours to grasp the gameplay loop and to see if the is for me. I liked what I saw mostly for the Journey nostalgia factor, so I'll play till current story events and bailout for most limited-time events cause I don't really care about the cosmetics I saw. The only thing I find funny is that the developers wanted to create a game with no toxicity and bullying but from what I saw players like to ignore others who don't have the latest cosmetics hahaha.
I've beaten the game once and now I'm doing sidequests, finding secrets in the world, etc. So far my experience has been awesome. People are very helpful in the discord and the players I meet in the game world has always aided me when I needed. The game is basically a live service Journey and I couldn't ask for more. The grind for 100% is real though but I don't mind it since I plan on keep playing it for the forseeable future. The side content and secrets are literally amazing in this game. You will love the ending section as well (the Eden part you mentioned). What happens in it totally cought me off guard. Also make sure to attend one of the AURORA shows before January 2nd.

acVrvV5.jpg

Last edited:
Odd there's no PC version.
I've heard the developers might launch a PC version next year. Their release schedule so far has been quite predictable: 2019 (iOS/mac), 2020 (Android), 2021 (Switch), 2022 (PS4/PS5 with no dedicated PS5 app), 2023 (PC?).

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I've heard the developers might launch a PC version next year. Their release schedule so far has been quite predictable: 2019 (iOS/mac), 2020 (Android), 2021 (Switch), 2022 (PS4/PS5 with no dedicated PS5 app), 2023 (PC?).
Fair enough, I do like those kind of games.

I've beaten the game once and now I'm doing sidequests, finding secrets in the world, etc. So far my experience has been awesome. People are very helpful in the discord and the players I meet in the game world has always aided me when I needed. The game is basically a live service Journey and I couldn't ask for more. The grind for 100% is real though but I don't mind it since I plan on keep playing it for the forseeable future. The side content and secrets are literally amazing in this game. You will love the ending section as well (the Eden part you mentioned). What happens in it totally cought me off guard. Also make sure to attend one of the AURORA shows before January 2nd.

acVrvV5.jpg
I still didn't have the time to sit through to play the game properly. Still in the woods region because I stop a lot just to help other players. This friday will be the first day where I'll sit and play it till its entirety.

Finished my first run yesterday. What a journey! (no pun intended)

I've played mostly alone with some help from randoms and helped others myself until midway through the game, then I've met a person. This person guided me through the early parts of Golden Wasteland and we decided to stick together. It was incredible because it seemed we both were new to the game so it felt tense to go through the last few areas where there are enemies. Eye of Eden was terrifying because losing felt meaningful and real, my new-found partner and other players tried to reach the furthest we could but our fates our sealed in the mot******* last stretch, which I don't think there is a way to get to the "end". The last area after Eye of Eden was breathtaking, it's hard to describe how magical it felt and I'm glad I decided to stick with the game until the ending. I don't know if I'll keep playing long-term but I've heard the second journey unlocks more areas so I might check out the Aurora event that's going on currently.

MaKTaiL MaKTaiL Thanks for not spoiling the Ending my dude. It was an incredible experience to play this game.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Finished my first run yesterday. What a journey! (no pun intended)

I've played mostly alone with some help from randoms and helped others myself until midway through the game, then I've met a person. This person guided me through the early parts of Golden Wasteland and we decided to stick together. It was incredible because it seemed we both were new to the game so it felt tense to go through the last few areas where there are enemies. Eye of Eden was terrifying because losing felt meaningful and real, my new-found partner and other players tried to reach the furthest we could but our fates our sealed in the mot******* last stretch, which I don't think there is a way to get to the "end". The last area after Eye of Eden was breathtaking, it's hard to describe how magical it felt and I'm glad I decided to stick with the game until the ending. I don't know if I'll keep playing long-term but I've heard the second journey unlocks more areas so I might check out the Aurora event that's going on currently.

MaKTaiL MaKTaiL Thanks for not spoiling the Ending my dude. It was an incredible experience to play this game.
Congrats! Now the real journey begins! Many new areas will open up for you (including many sidequests) and many new seasonal spirits will be available for you to unlock as well. Have you tried the AURORA concert yet?

Agent X

The AURORA concert was awesome! It is really an unique experience, I recommend anyone to try it out. The concert will repeat every 4h up until January, 2nd. My session had 3900 players simultaneously.

I went to the initial showing last week (right after The Game Awards concluded), and I agree, it was excellent! I'd love to see more events like this in the future.

By the way, those are some great screen shots that you've posted!

Congrats! Now the real journey begins! Many new areas will open up for you (including many sidequests) and many new seasonal spirits will be available for you to unlock as well. Have you tried the AURORA concert yet?
I'm planning on helping another player today adn then we'll watch the Aurora concert. I might move on from the game in a few days but I'm thinking of buying the Journey pack as a token of appreciation for the game. I enjoyed my experience with Sky.

I hope to play it occasionally to see new areas and events but I need something more tangible of a progression system to hook me up long term.

Last edited:
So we are now exited about almost 3 year old mobile game releasing on consoles? This forum is sooooo confusing /s
I'm sure am. I legit didn't know the company behind Journey had done this game at all. Didn't even know it existed until last week when I tried it out, so it was a pleasantly surprise.

MaKTaiL

I'm sure am. I legit didn't know the company behind Journey had done this game at all. Didn't even know it existed until last week when I tried it out, so it was a pleasantly surprise.
The Little Prince sidequest once completed offers a new ending to the game. You should check out, I just finished it! The entrance to his sidequest area can be located right at the start of the Vault of Knowledge.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The robe, the call, the colors of a kindred traveler—carry on the spirit of those who once crossed desert sands.

The Journey Pack celebrates Sky’s arrival on PlayStation™, where our roots began. Its cape, hood, and mask each carefully recreate the designs originally featured in Journey, and can be worn separately or as an ensemble. Wearing the mask also gives your Sky child the traveler’s voice when you call.

Sky has arrived on PlayStation™. The Journey Pack is available exclusively on PlayStation™ and the PlayStation Store™.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sky: Children of the Light is an event where players can embrace the start of spring with new experiences, sights, and items. The event takes place over four phases where life will emerge from the sands and grow into a lush, vibrant meadow full of life. Players can head to the Forgotten Ark in the Golden Wasteland to experience all the Days of Bloom event has to offer. Sky: Children of the Light Days of Bloom 2023 event runs now through April 9 on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, iOS, and Android.

Impotaku

EDIT

Nothing on switch needs to be bought to play main game plus every single event and level can be played with no money changing hands the only mtx stuff is all purely cosmetics.

Weird it took so long to come to other consoles been out absolutely ages on switch & mobile.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Nothing on switch needs to be bought to play main game plus every single event and level can be played with no money changing hands the only mtx stuff is all purely cosmetics.

Weird it took so long to come to other consoles been out absolutely ages on switch & mobile.
Yeah, I've been playing non-stop ever since it released on Playstation. Trying to get the last trophy for summoning all Elders at the end (2 more realms to go).

Famipan

I think Sky:COTL is so underrated.
A natural downside on playing on console is that playing music on instruments is practically impossible with a controller compared to on smartphone. On smartphone/tablet you can connect a DualShock4/DualSense and a bluetooth keyboard which helps a lot. But the input lag when using a controller is REAL compared to touch controls —now I finally get how input lag feels and going from playing with touch controls on iPhone to playing on PS4/5 was a real chock!

A huge PSA/warning to anyone interested in this game is to start it on iOS or Android first BEFORE even booting it up the first time on PS4/5.
It seems to be impossible to connect a current PS-account to the iOS account, while the opposite is possible.If you accidentally started the game on PS4/5 now, you have to to delete the PS Sky-account and wait 30 days before you can sync an iOS account to PS.

However, I found out that on LG C1 you can easily cast the iPhone screen to the TV very quickly, but I still only play in 30fps since 60fps-setting can overheat/crash the game after a while if casting it to TV (iPhone SE 2nd Gen 2020). So far (40+ hours) I just play on the phone and got pretty used to it. There are some cases where you can touch stuff on the screen far away from your character and that doesn't work so well with a controller.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

I think Sky:COTL is so underrated.
A natural downside on playing on console is that playing music on instruments is practically impossible with a controller compared to on smartphone. On smartphone/tablet you can connect a DualShock4/DualSense and a bluetooth keyboard which helps a lot. But the input lag when using a controller is REAL compared to touch controls —now I finally get how input lag feels and going from playing with touch controls on iPhone to playing on PS4/5 was a real chock!

A huge PSA/warning to anyone interested in this game is to start it on iOS or Android first BEFORE even booting it up the first time on PS4/5.
It seems to be impossible to connect a current PS-account to the iOS account, while the opposite is possible.If you accidentally started the game on PS4/5 now, you have to to delete the PS Sky-account and wait 30 days before you can sync an iOS account to PS.

However, I found out that on LG C1 you can easily cast the iPhone screen to the TV very quickly, but I still only play in 30fps since 60fps-setting can overheat/crash the game after a while if casting it to TV (iPhone SE 2nd Gen 2020). So far (40+ hours) I just play on the phone and got pretty used to it. There are some cases where you can touch stuff on the screen far away from your character and that doesn't work so well with a controller.
I started on PS5 first. You can connect accounts as long as don't have an active Sky account on both at the same time. I connected my PSN account to Steam (using the Android app) and I'm able to play the Steam Demo with all my progress from PS5 just fine. You cannot link accounts from the Playstation but you can do it from Android/iOS (you just have to login with your PSN account there). I constantly jump from PS to Phone to PC depending on where I am.

As for Sky itself, I agree it might be a bit underrated, but it's a niche game, not everyone will stick with it specially considering the grind post-game. I currently have 1 year and a half playing daily since it launched on PSN and just yesterday I finally managed to hit 200 light. I few weeks ago I also got all Tier 2 capes which amounts to an insane amount of hearts. I feel like I finally hit the "Veteran" status after all this time.

I don't plan to stop anytime soon since it's a relaxing game I like to play at the end of the day. I do the dailies, candle runs, Season Passes and the events when they popup for an hour or two and then I go play something else.

This is me 😄

k7fEn1v.jpg

Last edited:

Famipan

I started on PS5 first. You can connect accounts as long as don't have an active Sky account on both at the same time. I connected my PSN account to Steam (using the Android app) and I'm able to play the Steam Demo with all my progress from PS5 just fine. You cannot link accounts from the Playstation but you can do it from Android/iOS (you just have to login with your PSN account there). I constantly jump from PS to Phone to PC depending on where I am.

As for Sky itself, I agree it might be a bit underrated, but it's a niche game, not everyone will stick with it specially considering the grind post-game. I currently have 1 year and a half playing daily since it launched on PSN and just yesterday I finally managed to hit 200 light. I few weeks ago I also got all Tier 2 capes which amounts to an insane amount of hearts. I feel like I finally hit the "Veteran" status after all this time.

I don't plan to stop anytime soon since it's a relaxing game I like to play at the end of the day. I do the dailies, candle runs, Season Passes and the events when they popup for an hour or two and then I go play something else.

This is me 😄

k7fEn1v.jpg

Yeah, so you can’t sync the PSN account to iPhone if you already started an account on iOS which I did just to ”try it it out on smartphone”.

The Steam version is still not released and I wonder if it’s a matter of server costs and that the revenue currently can’t support an upgraded server park. Or maybe it’s fear of hackers being detrimental to everyones experience?

I think the game is underrated because it does a new take on the MMORG genre and taking inspirations from Dark Souls, Journey and Abzu but they aspired to create a game for people like Jenova Chen who didn’t like World of Warcrafts loop. But I think all the focus on getting stuff and emotes can easily become materialistic and elitistic in Sky too. It’s an interesting social experiment.
But gaming in general can also become an addiction and be detrimental to players health.

To me the experience grew a lot after watching some interviews and keynotes with Jenova Chen and watch and summaries of Journey on YT.

My goal with the game is to grind a little and befriend a lot of people, letting them lead a lot and trying to loosen my stress over not being able to go where I want. Give lots of encouragement and love and just being kind to people, goofing around, playing music and reach higher cape level and try to reach end of EOE.

My friend takes me on exciting off map trips bit I’m a bit worried that could get us banned. edit. There’s no risk getting banned for glitching out of map aka OOB = out of bounds

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Yeah, so you can’t sync the PSN account to iPhone if you already started an account on iOS which I did just to ”try it it out on smartphone”.
You can still login with your PSN account on your Iphone and play with your character there. If you still want to link your Apple ID to your PSN account then you can request to delete your Sky account linked to Apple ID (it takes a month to complete the deletion process). Then when the account is fully deleted you can link your Apple ID to the Sky account linked to your PSN. I was in a similar situation but with Google Play ID instead and it worked great.

CamHostage

Sad that this game seems to have so little awareness impact (i wonder if it would be different if they stuck with Sony, or if that time where this type of game broke through on a macro scale is over?) But I really like seeing this get bumped and re- considered every once in a while.

Last edited:
Top Bottom