• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sky: Children of Light launches today (December, 6th) on PS4/PS5

John Bilbo

Sad that this game seems to have so little awareness impact (i winner of our would be different if they stuck with Sony, or if that time where this type of game broke through on a macro scale is over?) But I really like seeing this get bumped and re- considered every once in a while.
I tried the game out last night and had a wonderful time chatting with a Japanese player.

There is a somewhat hidden auto translate feature in the chat log that allows players from different countries to chat with each other with their mother tongue.

I've never seen this feature in a multiplayer game. For me it was the highlight of the game easily.

Famipan

Sad that this game seems to have so little awareness impact (i winner of our would be different if they stuck with Sony, or if that time where this type of game broke through on a macro scale is over?) But I really like seeing this get bumped and re- considered every once in a while.

IDK if what you wanted to say exactly but I have been thinking if Sky could have grown bigger if TGC got more support from PS marketing it on PSN. But it’s still a game more popular and more easy accessible on mobile/tablet.

Famipan

I tried the game out last night and had a wonderful time chatting with a Japanese player.

There is a somewhat hidden auto translate feature in the chat log that allows players from different countries to chat with each other with their mother tongue.

I've never seen this feature in a multiplayer game. For me it was the highlight of the game easily.
Nice! I have had problems typing in Japanese on PS5 and it sucks you can’t easily switch ENG/JPN on the kb AFAIK but have to use the controller…

I love checking all Japanese and other language’s left notes/memories and the wonky translations that comes with it!

My recent wholesome experience is improvising on musical instruments or playing musical sheets together with a Japanese player and 6 other I don’t know. My friend there seems to mostly be into playing music and they use a mobile. For me playing music with a controller is immensely difficult and not that fun at all unfortunately.

Tablet + controller must be the best way to enjoy this game.

CamHostage

IDK if what you wanted to say exactly but I have been thinking if Sky could have grown bigger if TGC got more support from PS marketing it on PSN. But it’s still a game more popular and more easy accessible on mobile/tablet.

Heh, my phone ate my words...

Should have been, "...(I wonder if it would be different if they stuck with Sony, or if that time where this type of game broke through on a macro scale is over?) "

And I don't know the answer. Maybe? For sure, if Sony put a push on it and made it clear that the Journey creators had something which should speak to those who loved that game, it could have connected. But then again, Journey is over 12 years old (egads!!) and that era where an indie game could catch version of the monoculture purely from being good and interesting is seemingly gone. Also, Sky came to mobile first, so it gets dismissed for that, and also it's meant to be played with others and has a bit of a GAAS concept to it as a long-tail release, so that makes hardcore gamers cranky too, also is multiplatform now and the PS release isn't special other than familiarity (Switch is probably a more comfortable platform to play it on.)

So, I don't know what could have changed, it just feels like this is a different era for ThatGameCompany. (And also, I don't know that it's been a problem for them anyway? Supposedly the mobile release of Sky did well, so they may well be coasting on fair finances and don't need an influx of people who don't enjoy it the way that the audience this game has cultivated does right now.)

John Bilbo

Nice! I have had problems typing in Japanese on PS5 and it sucks you can’t easily switch ENG/JPN on the kb AFAIK but have to use the controller…

I love checking all Japanese and other language’s left notes/memories and the wonky translations that comes with it!

My recent wholesome experience is improvising on musical instruments or playing musical sheets together with a Japanese player and 6 other I don’t know. My friend there seems to mostly be into playing music and they use a mobile. For me playing music with a controller is immensely difficult and not that fun at all unfortunately.

Tablet + controller must be the best way to enjoy this game.
The ease of typing on PC is great, but the interface of the game is not designed or optimized for PC atleast yet.

I play the game on a controller and chat with a keyboard. I wonder if I will be able to play the instruments on my keyboard as well. That could make them more accessible.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I absolutely loved Journey, among my favourite games ever, is this one worth checking out, I remember playing it on the phone but didnt get very far into it

John Bilbo

The ease of typing on PC is great, but the interface of the game is not designed or optimized for PC atleast yet.

I play the game on a controller and chat with a keyboard. I wonder if I will be able to play the instruments on my keyboard as well. That could make them more accessible.
You can actually play the instruments with your keyboard which is somewhat close to playing on a real life piano.

Famipan

You can actually play the instruments with your keyboard which is somewhat close to playing on a real life piano.
You can but playing with a BT Apple keyboard or Dualshock 4 on PS5 didn’t feel that good to me. Game Mode on TV-setting might improve it but the input lag was noticeable compared to iphone. Just moving your character on iphone with touch controls is also lower input lag than on PS5 although I’m used to PS5 now and I love how it looks and feels on a big LG C1 OLED screen in 4K 60fps in Normal Mode on TV-setting with extra motion smoothing added (smoothens occasional dips) but adds some more input lag obviously.

If anyone here is interested in practicing instruments there are a couple Sky-related apps/website apps dedicated fpr instrument practice on smartphone/other devices

Last edited:

John Bilbo

You can but playing with a BT Apple keyboard or Dualshock 4 on PS5 didn’t feel that good to me. Game Mode on TV-setting might improve it but the input lag was noticeable compared to iphone. Just moving your character on iphone with touch controls is also lower input lag than on PS5 although I’m used to PS5 now and I love how it looks and feels on a big LG C1 OLED screen in 4K 60fps in Normal Mode on TV-setting with extra motion smoothing added (smoothens occasional dips) but adds some more input lag obviously.

If anyone here is interested in practicing instruments there are a couple Sky-related apps/website apps dedicated fpr instrument practice on smartphone/other devices
Yeah playing an instrument with input lag doesn't sound too appealing. PC has luckily no noticeable input lag.

I put the tabulatures on my second monitor and learned to play the Tetris theme today.

John Bilbo

I have to say the monetization in this game is horrible. The Journey skin costs 30€ alone. I would have been willing to support the devs if it was 3 - 5€.

I think I can get Journey the game for far less even without sale than the Journey skin in this game.

Also the game is buggy as hell. Thatgamecompany might have delved in too deep a water with this one. Five years since launch and even basic functionality is not there yet.

Still it is cozy as fuck with a lots of helpful players. My impression of the other players is quite wholesome.

Famipan

I have to say the monetization in this game is horrible. The Journey skin costs 30€ alone. I would have been willing to support the devs if it was 3 - 5€.

I think I can get Journey the game for far less even without sale than the Journey skin in this game.

Also the game is buggy as hell. Thatgamecompany might have delved in too deep a water with this one. Five years since launch and even basic functionality is not there yet.

Still it is cozy as fuck with a lots of helpful players. My impression of the other players is quite wholesome.
Yeah I haven’t bought anything yet (except rebuying Journey on iOS for a few quid) but might support them by buying a IAP instrument (violin, electric guitar, aco guit with unique skin) OR buying merch such as that nendoroid.

My main concern now is how bad QOL/UX-experience it is to type and switch between JPN/ENG on PS5.
AFAIK you can’t switch input language on an external KB without going to system settings and changing external KB input language.
– Come on Sony, give me a key command!!

Also, the dictionary/option for Japanese kanji conversion is lacking compared to iOS.

Top Bottom