• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylake review thread

see5harp

It uses laptop components. Dunno. At least Macbooks have high quality components, reliability and super battery life. Can't think of the benefit of having an underpowered iMac for the premium price.

How about a 5K monitor and a footprint smaller than a damn blender.

Tech media have been very lenient with Intel and this launch. Compared to Haswell, Skylake is massively disappointing.

5% performance gain over flagship Haswell = zero real-world performance advantage. Gaming performance is even more shocking. Instead of creeping forward, Intel are now going backwards.

Tovarisc

Tech media have been very lenient with Intel and this launch. Compared to Haswell, Skylake is massively disappointing.

5% performance gain over flagship Haswell = zero real-world performance advantage. Gaming performance is even more shocking. Instead of creeping forward, Intel are now going backwards.

They aren't going backwards when looking at gaming benches where CPU+RAM are actually benched instead of dancing with GPU bottleneck.

Have look at http://hothardware.com/reviews/inte...chipset-review-skylake-for-enthusiasts?page=8 and/or http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/05/intel_skylake_core_i76700k_ipc_overclocking_review/6

Can't wait to enter the modern era of computing: upgrading from an archaic Conroe processor and DDR2 tech!

Here I come Skylake, DDR4 and USB 3.0/3.1!

The only thing thats shocking to me about this is how many people seem surprised. All of the info I had seen leading up to this release indicated we were going to get yet another 5% "tick" from Intel. Which is exactly the case. Its actually more like 2.5% if you count Broadwell. The one upside to all this is people can save some money. Unless you're on a very old CPU there's very little reason to upgrade. Hopefully Zen will meet expectations. If so then AMD will be within shouting distance for the first time in years (perhaps within ~10%). If that happens & AMD offers the better price/performance option then Intel might actually have to get off their ass & come out w/ something that gives a big jump in performance to justify the price premium.

StereoVsn

Zen promises 40% improvement over Excavator, not piledriver, on 14nm.

I am hoping for a miracle that Zen hits it out of the park and just freaking delivers. It's probably not going to happen, but something got to light up fire under Intel's rear. They have been coasting for years.

Meh, Skylake looks underwhelming.

I am hoping for a miracle that Zen hits it out of the park and just freaking delivers. It's probably not going to happen, but something got to light up fire under Intel's rear. They have been coasting for years.

AMD has been out of miracles for a number of years now. I'm not expecting anything from Zen and I still feel like I might be disappointed.

As far as Skylake goes, I'm still on Nehalem and I've waited long enough. I'm upgrading goddamit and no one here can stop me.

The only thing thats shocking to me about this is how many people seem surprised. All of the info I had seen leading up to this release indicated we were going to get yet another 5% "tick" from Intel. Which is exactly the case. Its actually more like 2.5% if you count Broadwell. The one upside to all this is people can save some money. Unless you're on a very old CPU there's very little reason to upgrade. Hopefully Zen will meet expectations. If so then AMD will be within shouting distance for the first time in years (perhaps within ~10%). If that happens & AMD offers the better price/performance option then Intel might actually have to get off their ass & come out w/ something that gives a big jump in performance to justify the price premium.

People wanted to believe that Skylake would bring a massive performance increase, so they believed the 30% rumor despite all evidence to the contrary.

AMD has been out of miracles for a number of years now. I'm not expecting anything from Zen and I still feel like I might be disappointed..

Zen physically can't. AMD promises 40% IPC improvement over Piledriver.

That still puts them behind Haswell by 15% at best. AMD have yet to deliver on their promises since the bulldozer disaster.

What AMD can offer with Zen is better price for performance and features. They can't come close to INtel's absolute performance in 2016/2017.

40 Percent over excavator would put it about on par with ivy (aka within a few percent of haswell and within 15 percent of skylake)

They also announced they'll have 8 cores again, so you'll have an 8 core AMD zen cpu this time with actual full and big cores that can compete with intel IPC wise.
If nothing else it should mean that intel will start having to sell 6-8 core cpus (at i5-i7 prices)

Ask anyone at the time the 2500k released and they all would have told you that by 2014-2015 8 core intel cpus would be mainstream.
Then the bulldozer disaster happened and competition stopped.

Intel just keep churning out low end cpus for mainstream (quad cores) while in the server space they already have 18 core cpus.

FLAguy954

I still would recommended Sandy Bridge owners to upgrade anyways. No, the improvements per generation aren't in the double digit percentages but their is a noticeable improvement in minimum frame times in gaming. The motherboard improvements are another thing to consider.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So basically my 2500k it's going stay on for like, the next 3 years?
I should get around and overclock the thing, but barely any game pushes it... Maybe next year.

I swear, after having a toaster for about 12 years, I would have never thought that my new PC would last almost 8 years.

mkenyon

Banned
So basically my 2500k it's going stay on for like, the next 3 years?
I should get around and overclock the thing, but barely any game pushes it... Maybe next year.

I swear, after having a toaster for about 12 years, I would have never thought that my new PC would last almost 8 years.
Some interesting benches for you.

Civ, which is n-threaded

civ-99th.gif

civ-16ms.gif

Project Cars, which is notoriously CPU heavy

pcars-99th.gif

pcars-curve.gif

pcars-8ms.gif

For 120Hz gaming, I'd say Skylake is finally a worthy upgrade to Sandy for the performance and features.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

Civ, which is n-threaded

http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/civ-99th.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/civ-16ms.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/pcars-99th.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/pcars-curve.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/pcars-8ms.gif[IMG]

For 120Hz gaming, I'd say Skylake is finally a worthy upgrade to Sandy for the performance [I]and[/I] features.[/QUOTE]

If only I was playing at 120hz.

I'm not saying that Skylake is useless, but it's not earth shattering right now if you don't want 120hz or more.

And honesly I'm ""hoping"" that in the next two years my 2500k is going to become obsolete, but that's up to game developers.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh yeah. I mean, it's still not even really worth it to upgrade from Ivy Bridge. Haswell-E will be good to go for at least 4 years, probably longer.
If only I was playing at 120hz.

I'm not saying that Skylake is useless, but it's not earth shattering right now if you don't want 120hz or more.

And honesly I'm ""hoping"" that in the next two years my 2500k is going to become obsolete, but that's up to game developers.
Well, even in the Civ stuff, it's the difference between staying well above 60fps and having issues maintaining it. It's not the difference between "playable" and "not playable", but it's a good performance boost.

Servbot24

Banned
It uses laptop components. Dunno. At least Macbooks have high quality components, reliability and super battery life. Can't think of the benefit of having an underpowered iMac for the premium price.

It's not really a premium price considering what you're getting. It's the best value of any Apple product.

Much more powerful than MacBooks too, not sure where that notion is coming from.

Tovarisc

I'm running a i5 750 (Lynnfield) . Have I waited long enough or should I wait for the E line or whatever is after Skylake?

Just skip anything Skylake and wait for that next thing...

If you feel that it's time to upgrade then go for upgrades. If you adopt thinking that "Maybe I should wait, some cool stuff comes out within next 12 months" then you will never upgrade because there is always next cool thing around corner to wait for. I'm upgrading from i5 750 to i5 6600K now and I can't wait to see that performance and platform upgrade.

Civ, which is n-threaded

http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/civ-99th.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/civ-16ms.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/pcars-99th.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/pcars-curve.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://techreport.com/r.x/skylake/pcars-8ms.gif[IMG]

For 120Hz gaming, I'd say Skylake is finally a worthy upgrade to Sandy for the performance [I]and[/I] features.[/QUOTE]

Would be nice to see how OC'd sandy bridge looks in these benchmarks, probably makes a noticeable difference.

Xenus

Just skip anything Skylake and wait for that next thing...

If you feel that it's time to upgrade then go for upgrades. If you adopt thinking that "Maybe I should wait, some cool stuff comes out within next 12 months" then you will never upgrade because there is always next cool thing around corner to wait for. I'm upgrading from i5 750 to i5 6600K now and I can't wait to see that performance and platform upgrade.

Yeah I got into that routine. I'll wait for ivybridge-E then Haswell-E then Skylake_E until my computer finally forced my hand earlier this month. Now I'm deciding between Skylake and Haswell-E for my computer to replace the dying Q6700. Either one will be a huge boost to my compiling and videogaming but I'm leaving towards skylake for the higher single process advantage over needed the extra cores for anything beyond compiling at this point.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Come on AMD, this is your chance.

I feel like it might be soon time to put my 2500K platform to rest, but these "improvements" just don't encourage me to upgrade. Considering how much a mobo+ddr4+cpu is going to cost and how little extra performance it's going to bring me at 4K I might as well just wait for 16 nm GPUs before I make the jump to a new platform entirely. Might even wait for Zen, though I'm fully ready for yet Another Massive Delay and ultimately disappointing performance from the red team. Still, it might poke some life into Intel. All I've seen since SB is steadily increasing prices and <5% performance improvements. While 2500K was a great buy back in the day, I'm not exactly rejoicing over the fact that performance development has practically stopped.

amrod

My 2600k is stock, not even overclocked and everything seems to run fine with the 980 ... The mobo's usb ports are acting up, might just have to find another LGA1155 mobo after reading the reviews for new chips

gatti-man

Yeah this is a joke. I haven't felt the need to upgrade my cpu in 5 years.

Man, Intel just made the i7 too damn good, the gains is just not worth it with costs (new motherboard for the processor with newer memory) that I can set aside for a better GPU for greater gains.

I'm going to ride out my current i7 processor for a long ass time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It seems like intel's efforts have been easily in the notebook space. Lots of advancement in low voltage and low TDP chips, and improving the integrated graphics a lot. Going from sandy bridge mobile chips to skylake mobile chips would be a much bigger Juno than the equivalents in the desktop area.

Jiraiza

No reason for me to upgrade from my i7-5930K is there? Not that I would yet since it hasn't even been over a year since I got it!

VertPin

I just want to know if I should wait on getting a laptop until Skylake reaches.

Good battery life is an absolute MUST for me.

Meh, I just think it's impressive that my 2nd PC with a X5670 is still viable being 5 years old.

My 5820K is going to last me a very long time.

NoPiece

Man, Intel just made the i7 too damn good, the gains is just not worth it with costs (new motherboard for the processor with newer memory) that I can set aside for a better GPU for greater gains.

I'm going to ride out my current i7 processor for a long ass time.

I got my i7 860 in 2009, for what seemed like an expensive $289. Four video cards later, it is still chugging along, and rarely a performance bottleneck. Kinda cool, kinda lame..

CloudNein

Just bought a 4690k today. With what the overall meager improvements and the DDR3L/4 memory issues (Carrying over my current DDR3 to the new mobo) I think I made the right choice.

I've had an i5 750 since 2010. Is this a big enough leap? I had to replace my busted gpu, but not sure if I should upgrade cpu/mobo

pestul

Still on a 4.2Ghz i7 920 from 2009. Yes it's a power hog, but it still impresses me to this day with how fast it feels (SSDs help a ton too). Still waiting...

Man my 2600k is gonna last for many years more. Only if one really needs the mobo features or if their current system dies dead would Skylake matter. If the most a PC does is gaming, GPU upgrading is all that matters. And to think DX12 will add more life to Sandy Bridge. I miss the wild days of huge ticks and tocks.

My i7-2600k + Asus P8Z68-V Pro is probably the best 1-2 combo in PC building I've ever purchased. I've had them going on 4 years and, like you, simply had to upgrade the graphics card. Amazing value.

My motherboard is slowly dying, and it pains me to think how much I'm going to have to spend for such a little performance improvement over my current Ivy Bridge setup. I can't believe we won't see the next real stop up in performance until almost 2018.

This no competition thing sucks balls. Just like it did in the 90s.

Oxn

I got a 3570K 3 years ago. Will probably upgrade to a 8930K whenever that gets released.

Hopefully its an 8 core by then.

Top Bottom