• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Swap-Force announced! (Fall 2013): New dev, new 2-part figures,...

wrowa

and how long do i have ot wait to become a full member ?

The rule is three months of membership and/or 200 posts or something like that. But don't worry, you're longer around here than that, you've got over a thousand posts and you opened quite a few threads in the past. You've been a full member once -- but apparently you've got juniore'd. :p

Activision announces Skylanders SWAP Force for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Wii and 3DS, releases on October 13/16 in US & EU. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Oh man, my kid is going to be enjoying the october holidays. This out mid october, Lego Marvel is out the end of October, and the new scribblenauts game is rumoured to be out the end of Setember. It's going to be a good time for him. He loved the Wii U skylanders game.

tajd

Banned
The rule is three months of membership and/or 200 posts or something like that. But don't worry, you're longer around here than that, you've got over a thousand posts and you opened quite a few threads in the past. You've been a full member once -- but apparently you've got juniore'd. :p

i dont wanna starts thread no more just post which i can . but be nice to be a full memeber

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but for you all you gaffers with mini gaffers out there. Xmas is upon us soon. I don't want to spend heaps of money on both this and Disney Infinity, which one are you guys planning to get (or if you aren't, which would you get in my shoes)?

My kid has both skylanders games and a lot of figurines, but I can't help but think he's a bit bored of it and would like to try something new. The extra levels with figurines bought sounds great with Infinity, gives him more a reason to do his chores! (We usually buy him one or two a month depending on how he's done).
Thanks in advance!

Daffy Duck

Me and my gf have decided not to bother with this for our boys.

We have both old games with loads of figures and all the giants, we just can't help think this will cost a lot with the swappable characters.

Me and my gf have decided not to bother with this for our boys.

We have both old games with loads of figures and all the giants, we just can't help think this will cost a lot with the swappable characters.
Yeh I'm leaning the same direction. I can't see the value in the new figures compared to the Disney ones which seem almost like DLC. I just feel as though all those current figures he has will go to waste.

:Edit: I'm only junior so can't start a new thread. But could someone do this on my behalf? I can't help but think a lot of impressions with people who have infinity will get lost.

I own the first skylanders and all its figures, plus Giants and most of the figures (> 40). My 5 years old son love to play it.

When Disney Infinity was announced I decided to follow it and not to buy Swap Force, since I have strong ties to Disney franchises and always thought the Skylanders design a little bit too generic.

I bought all wave one DI figures and playsets. While I enjoy it (I was something disappointed as well, I would like more classic Disney than Pixar), my son only played it for like one or two days, and mostly only the Incredibles playset. He continues to talk Skylanders all days. He likes it a lot, and barely remember DI. So this week I took the pill and ordered the Swap Force Starter Pack (shipped today). I do not know if I will get more figures for it, maybe some swap characters (since you can use the old ones and I have almost 80 of them).

ghostmind

My son doesn't care much for Disney characters, so we are skipping Infinity. We are dialing it back though on Skylanders... just the Dark Edition bundle and whatever Legendary versions they put out this time around.

I asked the wee one which interests him more the other week, Disney characters or Skylanders and he went Disney hands down. Hmm hmm hmm, decisions decisions!

Slermy

I'm surprised there's no official thread yet. I've yet to jump into Skylanders, but have thought about dabbling in this one. The jumping and swap mechanic are appealing.

My son doesn't care much for Disney characters, so we are skipping Infinity. We are dialing it back though on Skylanders... just the Dark Edition bundle and whatever Legendary versions they put out this time around.

I looked for the Dark Edition, but it would be too expensive for me (shipping). It would cost me around US$ 180 while the normal starter pack costed my US$ 95. Hard to justify the difference. Plus I think the dark characters are kinda of ugly.

ghostmind

I looked for the Dark Edition, but it would be too expensive for me (shipping). It would cost me around US$ 180 while the normal starter pack costed my US$ 95. Hard to justify the difference. Plus I think the dark characters are kinda of ugly.

Yeah would be pricey - as it is I'm looking at only a $25 price difference, and it gets me 2 additional figures. I kind of like the more colorful standard versions myself, but my son prefers the Dark or Legendary versions.

RobbieNick

Anybody know when the release date for the PS4 version is? I saw some video and the graphics look incredible on that system, but they have improved overall so I could just get the Wii U version.However, I hear the PS4 version isn't until next year but I'm not sure.

Anybody know when the release date for the PS4 version is? I saw some video and the graphics look incredible on that system, but they have improved overall so I could just get the Wii U version.However, I hear the PS4 version isn't until next year but I'm not sure.

It is a launch day confirmed for Xbox One (Nov 22nd) so the PS4 version should be on the same day or a week earlier.

But about the graphics, despite possible being 1080p everything else should be the same as on 360/PS3, since the lead for the engine is the 360 this time (previous games was the Wii and the game looked the same on 360/PS3).

I need to pick up the Swap-specific figures this Sunday without the game (buying the PS4 version), but am surprised I haven't heard about any deals yet. Generally TRU/Target/Wal-Mart have BOGO or something of the like for these kinds of things.

Hawk269

From what I have heard, the PS4 version will be out when the PS4 launches. So Nov. 15th is the day you are waiting for.

The one thing about Swap Force is that the game itself looks really good and with the jump ability they added platforming to the game which was really needed. The previous games were based around the Wii version and ported to the other consoles, so it will be nice to have this new one with a fresh new engine.

BTW...Toys R Us is having a Buy 1 Get 1 40% on all Skylanders Figures and accessories...so if you are jumping in, TRU is the place to check out.

I just feel as though it's lacking the value that infinity offers, but if that value is boring (as pointed above), then there's no point.

I've concluded that Infinity is shit. It lacks a major attractor for someone like my 5 year old - the ability to use any character anytime. Infinity lacks that direct ease of use that Skylanders has in spades.

I've concluded that Infinity is shit. It lacks a major attractor for someone like my 5 year old - the ability to use any character anytime. Infinity lacks that direct ease of use that Skylanders has in spades.

I bought into it and really want to enjoy it but I just don't. The individual games seem pointless despite being pretty lengthy for what they are, it just doesn't have the pick up and play value that Skylanders does.

Popped in Giants for the first time in months last night to finish off PS trophies and played for 2 hours like it was nothing. Can't wait for Swap Force, my wallet will be on its death bed after midnight on Sunday.

U2NUMB

I bought into it and really want to enjoy it but I just don't. The individual games seem pointless despite being pretty lengthy for what they are, it just doesn't have the pick up and play value that Skylanders does.

Popped in Giants for the first time in months last night to finish off PS trophies and played for 2 hours like it was nothing. Can't wait for Swap Force, my wallet will be on its death bed after midnight on Sunday.

I think this is why I just do not feel the drive to go back to Infinity. I wish they had Tron or some Marvel type sets which I think I would enjoy more. But not being able to play in different universes seems like such a massive miss on a very cool concept that could have been.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
We'll probably get the game for christmas and a handful of the figures. My daughter loves the pink haired vampire roller blade girl, and the mer princess.

Lan_97

I usually have an unreasonable amount of fun with these games, so I'll be picking up the 3DS and PS4 versions. Though, I'm not really crazy about the swap gimmick, the general price hike introduced with Giants, or lack of online modes.

Oh wow so you can't hot swap characters? That sucks

I think this is why I just do not feel the drive to go back to Infinity. I wish they had Tron or some Marvel type sets which I think I would enjoy more. But not being able to play in different universes seems like such a massive miss on a very cool concept that could have been.

You can swap characters at will on Toy Box mode, but that is a sandbox mode that lacks the objectives of a proper campaign.

In the playsets you can only use and swap characterers belonging to that playset (i.e. only Incredibles can play in the Incredibles playset). That limits the swap-anytime appeal, plus some of the playsets have limited characters. What is the point of switching characters in Lone Ranger Playset, specially if you are playing co-op? There are only 2 figures... It looks like a normal game to me, not a toy-based one.

Plus even inside the playsets there is no reason to switch characters other than opening some vaults. There is no specific area acessible by just one characters, characters do not level up or gain powers/characteriscs and, specially IMO, there is no penalty for death. You characters just fall apart and remounts itself. In skylanders, if you loose your health either you have to start the level again or use a different figure, thus contributing to the switching mentality.

GulAtiCa

For those with young children, what is the youngest age your child, or that you recommend, for the Skylanders series?

I would love to get this game for Christmas for my niece. She will be 1 year and like 3 months by then. Do you think she is too young? Or would she be close in age to handle it at Christmas or with like 6 or so months?

Opinions?

For those with young children, what is the youngest age your child, or that you recommend, for the Skylanders series?

I would love to get this game for Christmas for my niece. She will be 1 year and like 3 months by then. Do you think she is too young? Or would she be close in age to handle it at Christmas or with like 6 or so months?

Opinions?

It depends on the child but I would say that is too young, my lil one wasn't remotely interested in games until he was 3 1/2, even then it took a while to hold his attention. He is now 4 3/4 and is hooked on Lego Star Wars and Skylanders.

Bog

Junior Ace

Opinions?

A 1 year old? Just admit it's for you, man. This is a no judgment zone.

Amneisac

Does anyone have any idea which version will perform best between 360 and WiiU? I know people talked up the Giants on Wii U (which I bought), but I felt like the frame rate was pretty bad. I also prefer the 360 controller to the WiiU pro controller. (and the whole A/B buttons being swapped thing is a little annoying)

Any idea on this?

Obviously I know the PS4/X1 versions will be best, and I think I might re-purchase it on PS4 at launch as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71ypmg0iRo

Seeing footage like the above, though, and that being 360 footage, makes me think I'm going 360. It isn't that hard to pause the game to see the objectives.

gbvgbv

Neo Member
It depends on the child but I would say that is too young, my lil one wasn't remotely interested in games until he was 3 1/2, even then it took a while to hold his attention. He is now 4 3/4 and is hooked on Lego Star Wars and Skylanders.

I would second this. Mine started playing around 4. Lego Star Wars was certainly one of the first games we played too!

Recently went through a load of old games to trade in, and could not part with that one, even though we will probably never play it again anyhow.

Dragoshi1

Gonna see if I can take advantage of Gamestop deals to buy it, like the 2 for 9.99 deal. It's above 60 bucks, though, so I'm gonna have to wait and call in to ask about it, probably differs by store too.

And probably only picking up Slobbertooth, as I still have the TONS of other Skylanders from the previous games.

First in line at Toys R Us. I forgot my jacket and wore sandals. I've made a huge mistake. Plus, I was all set to wait for the next gen version for the game, but the reviews, chill, and very little sleep I got to wake up so early are making me question waiting.

First in line at Toys R Us. I forgot my jacket and wore sandals. I've made a huge mistake. Plus, I was all set to wait for the next gen version for the game, but the reviews, chill, and very little sleep I got to wake up so early are making me question waiting.

Please post impressions! Still sitting on the fence between this and Infinity, but heavily leaning towards this.

A little surprised at the good reviews so far. I just don't have the money to sink into this right now but I may pick up the PS4 version when it releases. Hopefully there will be some good Black Friday deals.

Maybe too OT but honestly I'm upset that I spent so much on DIsney Infinity when there just is no real draw to the game aside from the Play Sets. The only other play set coming is Toy Story which I'm sure will be fun, but other than that I see no reason to keep collecting any of the figures.

They're releasing a Mickey figure in January...but why bother? You can only use it in the Toy Box mode. Same with all the other upcoming characters aside from Woody/Jessie/Buzz. Pretty frustrating when it could have been so much more.

Top Bottom