• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim mod lists are pretty awesome and break the vicious modding circle

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Long time mod enjoyers of Skyrim mods know the drill. It tends to go a little something like this:

1. Wow, I haven't played Skyrim in a while. I wonder what kind of new mods they got. Why did I stop playing again?
2. Browse mod lists. See a bunch of awesome stuff. Spend hours getting them up and running.
3. Launch game.
4. Game crashes because of mod conflicts.
5. Give up
6. 1 year later: Wow, I haven't played Skyrim in a while. I wonder what kind of new mods they got. Why did I stop playing again?

Well, not anymore, or at least, not as much. I discovered Wabbajack a while ago which is a collection of Skyrim mods (hundreds) that are tested for compatibility and stability. There are many modlists with several attempting different things. The Phoenix Flavour for instance tries to mostly maintain vanilla Skyrim but with much needed graphical enhancements and other QOF such as improved UI, character creation, races, etc. You also have others that are complete gameplay overhauls with survival elements such as Wildlander that use Requiem as a basis and offer a completely new experience.

If you're like me and don't have the time to fiddle around with mods for hours only to be met with a CTD, then you should definitely give Wabbajack a look. One thing though, downloading all of the mods at once requires a premium Nexus subscription which is a bit of a bummer but it's the premier website for PC mods so supporting them doesn't bother me at all. There are also mod lists for other games such as Cyberpunk, Fallout, and many others.

I'm currently playing The Phoenix Flavour Dragon Edition and it's awesome. There are honestly some mods that are some damn well implemented that I wonder if I didn't simply miss them from the base game. It looks much better visually, has tons of professional-level content, companions, perks, etc, and really breathes some new life into Skyrim.

Anyway, I hope this post isn't banned because I'm promoting Wabbajack but it really is awesome.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
819.png

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Is there something like this for a Steam Deck?

I'm enjoying PC gaming on Steam Deck more than on my PC now. And I'd like to (someday) play Skyrim again. Every time I've started it, I'd just quit it in an hour or less.

Matt_Fox

Yes, curated / bundled mod packs make a lot of sense - mods that are stability tested and compliment each other rather than overlap.

...but then you're always going to cherry pick a few additional other that you want, because individual choice is part of why people mod. Welcome back CTD! :messenger_grinning:

Gaiff

Is there something like this for a Steam Deck?

I'm enjoying PC gaming on Steam Deck more than on my PC now. And I'd like to (someday) play Skyrim again. Every time I've started it, I'd just quit it in an hour or less.
You can get the mod lists to work on the Steam Deck, yes, but the process is a bit more involved. Do remember that some of these lists can be quite performance intensive. I Also, those mod lists tend to be huge, especially given the fact that most feature uncompressed texture packs so you're often looking at 50GB+ mod lists in addition to the base game. The one I'm using right now is over 100GB for instance.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
...but then you're always going to cherry pick a few additional other that you want, because individual choice is part of why people mod.
It's always Lydia

4ReY5bP.gif

Gaiff

It's always Lydia

4ReY5bP.gif
Speaking of, the list I'm using has changed her appearance and replaced her voice actress (which doesn't bother me because she sounds like a generic a few other characters). The voice acting is on point and she says a ton more and even reacts to quests and the environment.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Mods for Skyrim VR are simply mind-blowing and turn a dogshit VR port into one of the best VR experiences out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom