• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SkyTV and Xbox, megaton for UK/Ireland 360 owners.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Interesting that they're putting Box Office on there as well. That means come Autumn, if I understand this correctly, we could have three video services on Xbox Live:

Marketplace, Zune Store and Sky Box Office.

Bloody hell.

And for the new page:
NekoFever said:
Screens:

sky_home-420-90174.jpg

sky_livetv-420-90823.jpg

sky_epg_2-420-90728.jpg

sky_sports-420-90273.jpg

:lol @ the avatars watching the football.

I don't have Sky but my parents have the full package, so I might have to see if I can 'borrow' their account details when this comes out.

Linkified

NekoFever said:

Nice I would sure watch more footie with my mates. Didn't MS US say that they were going to do that with Netflix in the US last year at an E3 roundtable.

But still this is awesome if my £40 goes to them doing and striking up more of these deals in the UK I will happiliy keep paying.

Linkified

cjelly said:
Interesting that they're putting Box Office on there as well. That means come Autumn, if I understand this correctly, we could have three video services on Xbox Live:

Marketplace, Zune Store and Sky Box Office.

Bloody hell.

And for the new page:

Video Marketplace is going to be rebranded as Zune Marketplace. ;)

Actually if the Zune HD came out over here it would be awesome say you paid a nominal fee, lets say 100 MSP, to transfer a match you have watched to the the device. That would be totally rad. :D

Edit: I guess we'll find out on Monday.

Kowak

Banned
I have to admit it does look nice but is just pointless if you dont get all the channels. might as well just pay for sky proper.

Kowak

Banned
Linkified said:
Video Marketplace is going to be rebranded as Zune Marketplace. ;)

Actually if the Zune HD came out over here it would be awesome say you paid a nominal fee, lets say 100 MSP, to transfer a match you have watched to the the device. That would be totally rad. :D

Edit: I guess we'll find out on Monday.

i dont think the premier league would allow that.

Linkified

Kowak said:
I have to admit it does look nice but is just pointless if you dont get all the channels. might as well just pay for sky proper.

Well you get all the on demand stuff which you have to be a subscriber for or pay £0.98-£1.50 for content. And they will bound to add channels over time.

For those who didn't see that game it ended 4-4. Arshavin single handedly kept Arsenal in it over and over again... he only had 4 shots and scored all 4.

If Peter Moore was still at Microsoft he'd of had a more flattering Liverpool game feature in these screenshots!

NekoFever said:
I don't have Sky but my parents have the full package, so I might have to see if I can 'borrow' their account details when this comes out.

If the login works like the skyplayer website, you can. Ask them to register on the sky website, they'll need to confirm via their set top, but then you can use their login details on the skyplayer.

I watch Sky Sports this way despite being 180 miles away from my parents house :p

Zutroy

I hope they'll be adding more channel and not just have the ones they have on Sky Player.

If they do, I can see me using it a lot.

Not really megaton but I can definitely see the typical pub going, sky sports watching, 360 owning bloke mentioning this to all his mates as a huge plus. Could do great business.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well that is pretty large news for UK/Ireland and it helps establish another 3rd even more rotten class of xbox user, the mainland europe/aus/NZ kind.

Yay, we all get relatively poorer except UK!

Ramenman

$h@d0w said:
As it gets closer to E3, misuse of the term 'megaton' begins.

Misuse of the term megaton is a lot worse in the 1UP PS3 thread.

Wtf, this is like the HOME theater (except you actually see what's on the screen). I hope there's a way to go full screen or else this sucks.

spwolf

Linkified said:
Nice I would sure watch more footie with my mates. Didn't MS US say that they were going to do that with Netflix in the US last year at an E3 roundtable.

But still this is awesome if my £40 goes to them doing and striking up more of these deals in the UK I will happiliy keep paying.

well i would personally never watch footie in small screen so i can see avatars :).

But yeah, the fact that its there is really cool... seems really customized for xbox and thats nice. I would assume you could voice chat during the game too.

Too bad its SD only, and hopefully pricing wont be bad... At the end, it is still nice to have actual sky box but why not have this for the bedroom for instance (if it is free, as sky charges extra for extra receiver service)

Ramenman said:
Wtf, this is like the HOME theater (except you actually see what's on the screen). I hope there's a way to go full screen or else this sucks.
There is (read the Eurogamer preview). You can still hear the others in your party if you want to in that mode too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
MrNyarlathotep said:
Oh dear.

apologies for thread necromancy, but I just got a 360 newsletter about this

Wait holy shit megaton

xbox.com said:
You don't have to be a Sky subscriber
No dish, Sky box or annual contract is required - you just need broadband and you can subscribe online.

Chittagong said:
Wait holy shit megaton

It's just Skyplayer, being used on your XBox.
i can watch Sky player from any PC i want.

It needs Microsft Silverlight to run which is why i guess its on XBox and not PS3 or the little fella

Neil

DefectiveReject said:

It needs Microsft Silverlight to run which is why i guess its on XBox and not PS3 or the little fella

From my understanding, Skyplayer on the internet is only available to Sky Subscribers?
On the Xbox 360, you don't need to be subscribed to Sky. Just have a Gold Live account.

pswii60

DefectiveReject said:

Sky Player used Flash right up until a few months ago. No coincidences there I don't think.

They're advertising this on TV etc now but there's still no release date!

painey

Neil said:
From my understanding, Skyplayer on the internet is only available to Sky Subscribers?
On the Xbox 360, you don't need to be subscribed to Sky. Just have a Gold Live account.

If you are already with Sky you get the same deal as you currently get with PC Sky Player, if you aren't with Sky you either have to sign up or pay per view.

painey said:
If you are already with Sky you get the same deal as you currently get with PC Sky Player, if you aren't with Sky you either have to sign up or pay per view.

So whats the current deal, been a sky sub for years and years early 90s ish but never bothered with skyplayer before.

Danj

Does the Sky Player have any good channels on now? Last time I looked at it, all you could get were bundles of all the crap channels, all the crap channels plus a couple of sports channels, or all the crap channels plus a couple of movie channels.

RaginRoss

supermackem said:
So whats the current deal, been a sky sub for years and years early 90s ish but never bothered with skyplayer before.

If you're a Sky subscriber, just go here;

http://skyplayer.sky.com

Create an account(I think you might need some details like a serial # from one of the viewing cards in your Sky box) and you can then stream all the channels you subscribe to from any PC.

It's pretty cool.

pswii60

Danj said:
Does the Sky Player have any good channels on now? Last time I looked at it, all you could get were bundles of all the crap channels, all the crap channels plus a couple of sports channels, or all the crap channels plus a couple of movie channels.
No, still shit. No Sky1, FX or Sci-Fi which are the only reasons I'd even consider subscribing.

Mash

So could I just log into the Sky Player on the 360 using the same account I use for the PC version? Or am I going to have go through a registration process again which if I remember was a pain in the arse.

Gowans

Just saw the ad on tv, make out like it's out now.

They should have said coming soon or waited till it's out.

Wonder if the updates next week?

So what exactly are the online/360 packages.

pswii60

Gowans007 said:
Just saw the ad on tv, make out like it's out now.

They should have said coming soon or waited till it's out.

Wonder if the updates next week?

So what exactly are the online/360 packages.
There's small writing on the bottom of the advert saying "service launching soon".

They already said the packages will be exactly the same as the current Sky Player ones, ie a waste of time. The movie one is decent but certainly not at £32/month! Maybe at a third of that I'd consider but otherwise Lovefilm is a far superior alternative!

If they keep the Sky Player lineup of live TV that they have for the website thing, it's pretty shit, you might as well spend a tenner on a freeview box if you want more channels.

Microsoft should have worked with BBC, ITV and C4 to bring iPlayer, 4OD and ITVPlayer to 360 as priority rather than this. How often will you realistically get a group of people to sit in a virtual room to watch the football?

Dunno what the Sky Player VOD is like though in terms of library.

pswii60

JonathanEx said:
If they keep the Sky Player lineup of live TV that they have for the website thing, it's pretty shit, you might as well spend a tenner on a freeview box if you want more channels.

Microsoft should have worked with BBC, ITV and C4 to bring iPlayer, 4OD and ITVPlayer to 360 as priority rather than this. How often will you realistically get a group of people to sit in a virtual room to watch the football?

Dunno what the Sky Player VOD is like though in terms of library.
The VOD library is pretty awful. They do have some Sky1 stuff like House but this isn't included in the Sky Player subscription, so you'd have to pay per episode. Stuff keeps going missing too, like Fringe and Lost has disappeared altogether from the library. There's no FX or Sci-Fi content on there at all.

Have a browse for yourself: http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/page/default/home.do

Movie and sports aside, the TV selection pales in comparison to the on-demand stuff you'd get on subscription IPTV services like Virgin, Tiscali and BT Vision. I think Sky should have sorted their shit out before 'jumping in'.

Gowans

JonathanEx said:
Microsoft should have worked with BBC, ITV and C4 to bring iPlayer, 4OD and ITVPlayer to 360 as priority rather than this.

100% agree, wasn't it rumoured that the BBC stopped talks with MS was they wanted too much control that their remit couldn't allow.

iPlayer on PS3 is really great, sure they will get the others soon too.

http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/page/tvListing.do

That's it? so its sports and movies really

Probably only a bonus for already sky subscribers (they need a trial).

pswii60 said:
There's small writing on the bottom of the advert saying "service launching soon".

They already said the packages will be exactly the same as the current Sky Player ones, ie a waste of time. The movie one is decent but certainly not at £32/month! Maybe at a third of that I'd consider but otherwise Lovefilm is a far superior alternative!

I didn't notice it, yeah defo not worth it at full sky sub cost, you don't get half of the channels or the freeview stuff.

pswii60

Gowans007 said:
100% agree, wasn't it rumoured that the BBC stopped talks with MS was they wanted too much control that their remit couldn't allow.

http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/page/tvListing.do

That's it? so its sports and movies really

Probably only a bonus for already sky subscribers (they need a trail).
iPlayer is indeed great on PS3 and a real missed opportunity for MS. To be fair though, all iPlayer is on PS3 is an improved browser with hardware acceleration for Flash. As the 360 doesn't have a browser, they'd have to get the BBC to interface with the NXE, which is probably the issue.

Gowans007 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/04/wii.html
Reading between the lines it would seem Microsoft was unwilling to work with the BBC unless it was given more control over how the content was accessed and presented inside Xbox Live, its walled garden online service.

My personal guess, and this isn't based on much factual, is that one element could have been MS insisting it was Gold users only, and BBC didn't like that? Could also be branding issues etc.

iPlayer on Wii has a decent interface, but I still think they should make an iPlayer channel rather than relying on the Wii Internet Channel.

besiktas1

Pretty sure this skyplayer includes iplayer. The one on pc has iplayer library so pretty sure this will too.. So what this means is ALL xbox live gold users will have BBC iplayer library.... I can't wait. Also I think the reason why pc skyplayer uses silver light is becase it allows for drm unlike flash. could be wrong on that one though.

JonathanEx said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/04/wii.html

My personal guess, and this isn't based on much factual, is that one element could have been MS insisting it was Gold users only, and BBC didn't like that? Could also be branding issues etc.

iPlayer on Wii has a decent interface, but I still think they should make an iPlayer channel rather than relying on the Wii Internet Channel.

Possibly. The BBC is/should remain free to UK customers as we pay for it via the TV licence anyway.

iPlayer is operated by the BBC proper not BBC Worldwide (the commercial arm of the company) and so is covered by the Licence regulations. While iPlayer is not covered by the licence itself (the TV licence is only for watching live broadcast television) the regulations are such that it would need to be freely accessible to all or the BBC would be in breach.

I can't see Microsoft relaxing their Gold only push for services like this so we probably won't see it any time soon.

JonnyBrad

cultofweaver said:
I can't see Microsoft relaxing their Gold only push for services like this so we probably won't see it any time soon.

As retarded as this is its the most likely explanation. Good for Sony and Nintendo i guess.

Goron2000 said:
You also need to pay an extra £10 a month for a multiroom sub on top of your Sky and Gold.

Its free for broadband max subscribers, which every Sky subscriber should have anyway, considering its the best internet package available in the UK atm. £10 for a trully unlimited "upto" 20mbps connection.

If your a student living away from home and your parents are Sky subscribers, its a great way to get Sky Sports for cheap/free.

brain_stew said:
Its free for broadband max subscribers, which every Sky subscriber should have anyway, considering its the best internet package available in the UK atm. £10 for a trully unlimited "upto" 20mbps connection.

How unlimited? I one time used around 100GB of bandwidth in a month alone and never got a second look from my ISP.

brain_stew said:

If your a student living away from home and your parents are Sky subscribers, its a great way to get Sky Sports for cheap/free.

If your house already has multiroom it doesn't cost anything. You just register the home account on the Sky website and login on the player. My parents are in Liverpool and I use their account to watch Sky in Bath.

I prefer this to the BBC iplayer (the only programs that interest me on the BBC player are top gear and Horizon) because you can easily get that programming as its free to air and everyone with a tv in their bed room can pick it up .

This sky deal really interests me because all the latest shows from the states start on Sky 1 and you can watch them,on demand on Sky player as well as the documentary channels which finish at 6pm on freeview (for some inexplicable reason).

I doubt whether i'll watch football in bed (although might watch soccer am) but I could watch the odd movie and the movies on Sky are far ahead of BBC ITV C4 etc.

As a Sky HD subscriber and a XBL gold subsciber as far as i can see its free to me? i have a 20mb cable line which normally gets me 18mb so I cant see how this wont be totally awesome for me whileI could not justify the extra £15 a month for the additional sky box in my room I dont mind buying another 360 for <£200 if it works as intended for no extra cost than i'm paying

pswii60

mr_bishiuk said:
I prefer this to the BBC iplayer (the only programs that interest me on the BBC player are top gear and Horizon) because you can easily get that programming as its free to air and everyone with a tv in their bed room can pick it up .

This sky deal really interests me because all the latest shows from the states start on Sky 1 and you can watch them,on demand on Sky player as well as the documentary channels which finish at 6pm on freeview (for some inexplicable reason).

I doubt whether i'll watch football in bed (although might watch soccer am) but I could watch the odd movie and the movies on Sky are far ahead of BBC ITV C4 etc.

As a Sky HD subscriber and a XBL gold subsciber as far as i can see its free to me? i have a 20mb cable line which normally gets me 18mb so I cant see how this wont be totally awesome for me whileI could not justify the extra £15 a month for the additional sky box in my room I dont mind buying another 360 for <£200 if it works as intended for no extra cost than i'm paying
You have to pay for an additional multiroom subscription if you are an existing Sky subscriber, so no, not free to you! EDIT: Seems it may be different if you are unfortunate enough to have Sky Broadband.

Top Bottom