• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sledgehammer’s Call of Duty is “Next-Gen First”

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Indeed. Ghosts look great on the PS4 at 1080p. It's also one of the few non-sports games (if not the only one) that achieves both 1080p and 60fps on the system. And yet, it gets called out on the graphical department? Give me a break.

It is able to maintain 1080-60 because that engine is archaic. Ghost does not stand anywhere in visual department against the likes of BF, AC or other AAA games.

I don't really think we'll see any improvement in graphics fidelity this year as well, and this will prove to be a bullshit claim just how they did with Ghost PC version. That game looks mediocre, and most importantly runs even shittier.

Arc

I'm pretty sure this is another upgraded CoD4 engine. I'd imagine Treyarch is building the brand new engine thus getting an extra year of development. I would expect Activision wants the more impressive CoD in 2015 anyways.

Archpath1

What can they really do to surprise us? Lets think about it guys, besides the usual more guns/killstreaks

Co-op campaign?
New modes?
New setting?
Maybe a map editor?

SMZC

It is able to maintain 1080-60 because that engine is archaic. Ghost does not stand anywhere in visual department against the likes of BF, AC or other AAA games.

AC? That game is not a technical marvel by any standards. Plus, it's 30fps. Battlefield 4 looks good, sure, but (talking about the PS4 version) it runs at 900p, and it rarely ever reaches 60fps in Conquest mode, which is the mode people buy that game for. Say what you will about the engine in Ghosts, but the game runs at 1080p at a buttery smooth 60fps (unless you count the instances where it goes over 60fps causing issues, which would easily be solved with v-sync if only IW gave a damn about that problem, but that's a different story). Few other games on the PS4 achieve that, and it's not something to be dismissed by claims of the engine being "archaic".

Matriox

What can they really do to surprise us? Lets think about it guys, besides the usual more guns/killstreaks

Co-op campaign?
New modes?
New setting?
Maybe a map editor?

Unless this will be stuck to local mp, I highly doubt the bold will ever come. Sledgehammer's entry into CoD has me worries and excited. They could play it safe because they're new to the title and just cut and paste as CoD has been for years now or they could innovate which I am hoping for the latter. Honestly, it would probably make me happy if they'd just update their graphics and keep the same gameplay, but I doubt that will happen so lets hope for innovation.

Unfortunately, Activision isn’t quite ready to talk specifically about what Sledgehammer’s Call of Duty will be like, only saying, “the proof will be in the pudding,” adding, “When you see it, hopefully, you’ll see what I’m talking about.”

CoD Pudding Wars confirmed w/ ADS (aim down spoon).

"Chocolate. Vanilla.

PICK A SIDE

November 2014"

scoobs

Can't wait to see how they've spruced up that same ol' engine theyve been using since CoD4. Seriously though... is anyone expecting them to develop a new engine for this generation or just keep on trucking with that ugly one theyre using now

I have extreme Call of Duty fatigue. I played the hell out of Blops2 and really enjoyed it, but I got bored of it before I hit master prestige. Ghosts on the other hand killed all interest I had in the series. They removed exactly what I enjoyed about COD which is fast paced action in small to medium sized maps.

I assume I'm not the only one that is bored with COD. If Titanfall 2 comes to PS4 in 2015 I'll give it a shot. Or maybe my fatigue will wear off and I'll give Treyarchs entry a shot.

Sledgehammers upcoming COD release has not raised my excitement in any way shape or form.

kdash7

On one hand after the sledgehammer news I'm sad that a CoD that I am almost guaranteed to like (by Treyarch) is not coming out this year (really hate Ghosts), on the other hand, it could result in a completely awesome CoD next year.

The only CoD games I liked were 4, Blops 1 and Blops 2.

Oh and Sledgehammer + Treyarch, please bring back 4 player splitscreen. That was one of the biggest missteps (imo) with Ghosts.

Holy shit THIS!!! We need to 4 player splitscreen ASAP!

nOoblet16

I don't really think we'll see any improvement in graphics fidelity this year as well, and this will prove to be a bullshit claim just how they did with Ghost PC version. That game looks mediocre, and most importantly runs even shittier.
Actually no, you are wrong Ghost uses most modern tricks seen in other games. There's tessellation, displacement maps, POM, Screen space reflections (BF does not uses it, or even Ryse), Sub surface scattering, etc etc the list goes on. The game is quite heavy on shaders and polygons but it has a simplistic lighting engine, one that isn't doing calculations in linear space and the rendering is not physically based...all because of the fact that using a fundamentally different method to compute lighting would cause issues with contents when they transfer it for use on the 360/PS3 version. Black Ops 1 and Black Ops 2 already use linear space lighting because Treyarch realised it a long time ago that it was better.

The engine is NOT an issue here, people need to understand engines don't get archaic unless they are limited by the architecture themselves (like Source, where you can't do more than 1 shadow casting light source per scene), but even then with modifications you can get around it. Case in point? Splinter Cell Blacklist which was one of the best looking games from 2013 and it uses UE2.5, but it looks better than most UE3 games and has real time lighting and shadowing which almost every UE3 game lacks. Or how about comparing a game using new UE3 like Gears of War Judgement or Bioshock Infinite to the old UE3 games Gears of War 1?

If the COD studios labelled their engine with a name and called the one in Ghosts Engine 2.0 or 3.0 something like that people would not even talk about this at all. No one writes an engine from scratch. I wrote the exact same thing in a past I made in the previous page.

prag16

Banned
OK Hirshberg. Jenniferlawrenceokay.gif

I expect the same copy paste bullshit we've had since at least MW2 with a little tinkering around the edges as usual.

Looking forward to seeing what this looks like on WiiU.
image.php

Ambient80

Cautiously optimistic about this. It could very well make or break CoD for me, as Ghosts nearly caused me to give up on the franchise. Something fresh though would be nice.

cafemomo

Do they make a profit off of it on the Wii U? Because as long as it cracks a profit they might still do it.

Who knows, but do you think Activision will go to the trouble again to have Treyarch help port the game to the WiiU just to have >70K sales?

a916

Actually no, you are wrong Ghost uses most modern tricks seen in other games. There's tessellation, displacement maps, POM, Screen space reflections (BF does not uses it, or even Ryse), Sub surface scattering, etc etc the list goes on. The game is quite heavy on shaders and polygons but it has a simplistic lighting engine, one that isn't doing calculations in linear space and the rendering is not physically based...all because of the fact that using a fundamentally different method to compute lighting would cause issues with contents when they transfer it for use on the 360/PS3 version. Black Ops 1 and Black Ops 2 already use linear space lighting because Treyarch realised it a long time ago that it was better.

The engine is NOT an issue here, people need to understand engines don't get archaic unless they are limited by the architecture themselves (like Source, where you can't do more than 1 shadow casting light source per scene), but even then with modifications you can get around it. Case in point? Splinter Cell Blacklist which was one of the best looking games from 2013 and it uses UE2.5, but it looks better than most UE3 games and has real time lighting and shadowing which almost every UE3 game lacks. Or how about comparing a game using new UE3 like Gears of War Judgement or Bioshock Infinite to the old UE3 games Gears of War 1?

If the COD studios labelled their engine with a name and called the one in Ghosts Engine 2.0 or 3.0 something like that people would not even talk about this at all. No one writes an engine from scratch. I wrote the exact same thing in a past I made in the previous page.

This guy obviously gets it... but we'll still have the ignorant posts of "omg, it's a 15 year old engine, new graphixzx please!!!"

People also need to realizes that engines are built of older engines all.the.time.

Top Bottom