• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleep advice for third shift working?

Power Pro

I'm starting up a new position at a hospital closer to home which I'm pretty excited about, and since I'm a bit of a night owl, I figure third shift would suit me well. That being said, even a night owl like me...I tend to still fall asleep around 4 or 5am. With my new job, I'm gonna have to work til 7am, but fortunately I can be home in like 5 minutes.

If there are any other third shift workers here, any suggestions on what time of day I should sleep? I don't know if I should sleep right when I get home, or sleep later in the afternoon and plan to get up before going to work. I'd like to try to have a productive day still.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
So you're doing an 11 pm to 7 am shift? I would suggest getting some blackout curtains or something and trying to sleep around 2-3 pm; this way, you have the morning hours to do whatever you need; since most places are open, you don't have to worry about anything being closed in the evening.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Yeah, should have mentioned it's 11pm to 7am. Gonna be a pretty slow shift too, so I'll still probably be on here while I'm working lol. Kinda wish I had a gaming laptop even, cuz I work in an office by myself.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I preferred to sleep when I got home, for the years I worked graveyard. However, this makes the dreaded period between 02:30 and 04:30 even harder to stay awake. If you're busy at work though, that's not as much of an issue.

GeekyDad

...If there are any other third shift workers here, any suggestions on what time of day I should sleep? I don't know if I should sleep right when I get home, or sleep later in the afternoon and plan to get up before going to work. I'd like to try to have a productive day still.
Most of my work is during the wee hours. For me, diet is probably the biggest factor in aiding my sleep. Coffee or other natural caffeine beverages (in moderation) at the beginning of your day is fine, but then cut yourself off, nothing but water after that -- absolutely NO energy drinks ever. Cut yourself off from eating at least three hours before you plan to lay down, perhaps even five if you don't mind it.

Stay regimented. It will take a while if you're not used to it, but hang in there and do the best you can until your body slides into a more smooth sleeping rhythm. Try not to overeat on those days you aren't able to get enough sleep. Whatever time you do decide to be bedtime for you, keep that time each day -- try not to deviate. Take naps whenever you're tired (optional, as I'm not sure if that could keep you up at night; try it, see if it works).

At the end of the day, though, you can only do the best you can do...because life fucking happens whenever it decides to come in like a drunken sailor and wreck your whole place.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Invest in ear plugs.

Them summer days when you need to sleep and everyone is outside making as much noise as they can 12 hours a day gonna break you in half. Especially if it’s roasting and you have to have windows closed because of the noise.

Last edited:

Lasha

I used to do that shift back in the day. Your body naturally falls into the rhythm if you don't have other commitments. Otherwise, you need to head to bed by noon at the latest. Don't drink coffee at first since it will screw with the shift. Put a blanket over the windows or sleep with a mask on. Noise cancelling ear protection can help but generally only if you're a back sleeper.

Toots

Gold Member
All the advice you need is right here

Providing you're an undocumented forklift operator working to pay studio sessions of course

More seriously i spent a few summer doing the night shift in a retirement home when i was a student, and i can attest to the other advices. Do what you need to do for your sleep to be as tranquil as possible, and develop a routine that you stick with. You'll get used to it in no time.
Have fun at your new place !

Renoir

I work 7pm to 7am. I know what you mean.
When is about 3:30 I drink a prework out. At 4:00 I hit the lil make shift gym they have at my job. By the time I'm out I'm pepped up and can be up till I get home.
Getting some black out shades for your room ,so you can get deep sleep during the day is crucial as well, as you wont feel well rested, and will feel like napping anytime there is down time.

Cyberpunkd

I preferred to sleep when I got home, for the years I worked graveyard.
Working graveyard you say?

sarah michelle gellar love GIF

Mohonky

I reverse my sleeping pattern , so I would wake at 10 for an 11pm start.

As I'm getting older I am finding it harder and harder to do. I feel like I've heard my head kicked in for the next 2 days after, especially now it's summer where the days are longer and it's so hot I can barely sleep. I finish night duty on Monday morning and it's Wednesday night now and I feel like ass still

Jsisto

Yea blackout curtains are absolutely essential. I’d recommend them even if you’re not on third shift. You dont want any light whatsoever coming through your windows, it’ll improve your sleep quite a lot.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

If you shift is slow enroll in online courses or something while at work so you can also improve yourself while you get paid to do it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Third shift should be forbidden I remember working that for a security job it wasn’t an ideal job.

*Nightwing

After you stop sleeping, and both logical reasoning and the individual characteristics that make up your personality disappear, plus you feel like a zombie, you will have achieved 3rd shift flow and your body runs on autopilot

Top Bottom