• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs HD outed by Shopto? PS4/Xbox One/PC

Is the gaming industry really so creatively bankrupt and risk averse that all we get are remakes of existing titles and endless sequels? What happened to creating new classics?

It's mostly to fund those future 'new classic' you speak of.

Look at ''The Last of Us'' PS4. It's there to keep Naughty Dog alive so they can create more new, original titles.

I'm hurting to wonder what they could possibly do to this game on PC. If they just release on PC and call it HD that won't go over. I hope it just a GOTY thing. At any rate I'm gonna stick to my game I guess I got 4xSGSSAA going so screw it.

BokehKing

Banned
I think, imo this is the only game were I really really enjoyed the driving.

Every title since I've been trying to do wheelies off the back of cars

stryke

It's mostly to fund those future 'new classic' you speak of.

Look at ''The Last of Us'' PS4. It's there to keep Naughty Dog alive so they can create more new, original titles.

I don't think ND are in a situation where they need TLOU on PS4 to stay alive.

They're doing it because they know they can capitalise on an audience that wants it.

Boss Mog

I don't see the problem with HD re-releases. Nobody is forcing you to buy them. But for those that never played these games or those that loved these games and want more definitive console versions, let them have it.

Plus it doesn't cost the devs that much to port them to the x86-based systems so it's win win for everybody and who knows something like this could help fund Sleeping Dogs II.

Personally I would love to see a HD re-release of Splinter Cell: Blacklist as it launched rather late in the gen and I was saving for a PS4 at the time.

Pudge

If I get it free or for a few bucks on Steam, I'll check it out, I don't think I ever finished that game. But I thought it was already looking pretty nice on PC. It even had an HD Texture Pack you could download.

Interesting. Hopefully they improve the car models and building textures. The buildings really just looked like cardboard. I was never impressed with this game as much as others were (visually... gameplay was great).

8659463236_b9a31f0106_o.jpg

8658657613_37853d4fb2_o.png

I don't think ND are in a situation where they need TLOU on PS4 to stay alive.

They're doing it because they know they can capitalise on an audience that wants it.

Oh no, it's not like they're in a dire situation, but it helps to validate their original efforts to create long-lasting new IPs like The Last of Us.

DJIzana

Hopefully more people experience this game. A true gem and my game of the year in 2012 and one I constantly love to replay. Ugh... this makes me want Triad Wars even more now. =(

Some Nobody

Jack & Jill, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Looney Toons, I don't know. I just don't feel that Sleeping Dogs is in the same quality as GTA5 or TLoU. I think those games are getting remakes simply because they came out so close the launches of the new consoles. Sleeping Dogs is alright but not GTA5

You're right. It's better. Like, way better.

Sounds like a good game. It's a shame that the first impression I get when I go to buy it digitally is an enormous list of dlc that mostly looks mediocre and overpriced.

That's on you, though. If Square has to do all that crap to make money off a game that's actually unique and interesting? Then good luck to them. As long as the main game and it's side material is untouched, I'm not bothered in the least.

Interesting. Hopefully they improve the car models and building textures. The buildings really just looked like cardboard. I was never impressed with this game as much as others were (visually... gameplay was great).

Actually, the building textures could use some improving. Every time I see a HQ pic of Sleeping Dogs from some PC version I realize how much crappier the buildings look when you can see them that well.

Jimrpg

Which game looks better? Yakuza 3 / 4 or Sleeping Dogs?

If you're asking between the PS3 versions, I can't say for sure because I played the PC version of Sleeping Dogs.

But even on medium settings, Sleeping Dogs PC is miles better than Y3 and Y4 on PS3.

Everyone should be playing Sleeping Dogs on PC.

lame that shopto are still banned. If I recall correctly a certain Japanese console manufacturer allowed a far worse breach of customer details.

either way it was five years ago. It looks like they use sagepay now, so they won't be storing card details anyway.

I just prefer to use retailers that pay taxes and it's lame that one of the best ones out there is being punished for something for so long.

One of my favourite games from the last five years, the pc port was amazing and you can find the complete edition for pretty cheap, is on sale frequently, loved the driving even with keyboard.

It's gonna be hard to justify getting this one. I just played through Sleeping Dogs on 360 earlier in the year, and while this will certainly look and play better I just can't see myself spending money on this when I played the original for free from Games with Gold.

Cubed

Probably the first PS3 to PS4 remake/remaster I'll skip.

I love the game, but it's really a play once and done kind of open-world game; not enough content in the world to keep your interests past the main story and a few collectibles. Very few open-world games hold my attention past the story. They need the right kind of layout/geography and physics systems in place to make exploring and causing chaos fun to keep coming back to.

Red Dead Redemption had it, GTA IV and V had it, and Watch Dogs seems to have it so far. Sleeping Dogs doesn't.

Xater

Even with all DLC included I would not pay full price for it and I haven't even played it before. 30 bucks and I would bite I think.

Malcolm9

Easy money really, and it's probably not that hard to use the extra grunt of the new consoles to make the game look and run better.

Replicant

Maybe it's not actually called "Sleeping Dogs HD" and it's just a complete edition with all the DLC on PC.

I hope it gets a Tomb Raider-like makeover, though.

Thumbs up on both points. I wouldn't mind double-dipping but this version MUST have all the DLCs along with graphical improvement.

Khrno

So is this going to be the same old PC version with the Hi-Res texture pack I already played?

I don't get it.

Recall

If you're asking between the PS3 versions, I can't say for sure because I played the PC version of Sleeping Dogs.

But even on medium settings, Sleeping Dogs PC is miles better than Y3 and Y4 on PS3.

Everyone should be playing Sleeping Dogs on PC.

I'm more surprised people haven't played them already. Not sure why people have waited.

Top Bottom