• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Maximo

Damn, the Nintendo apologists are out in force today. Jesus guys, criticisms railed against the Switch isn't an attack on it. People don't seem to get this.

But one of the greatest games to ever grace us is on the Switch!

Anyway im happy to wait a few years for hopefully a hardware revision few glaring issues.

It isn't a plastic screen. It's glass. No need to spread misinformation.
Do you have any actual sources for this? Because as it is, your post seems very ironic. The story in the OP says the screen feels like plastic.

But maybe you have better sources?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
To be honest, it definitely feels like this thing is gonna get scratched when I slot it in the dock. I think a screen protector is necessary. Understandable though as I wouldn't use a phone without one either.

Jacce

Banned
Do you have any actual sources for this? Because as it is, your post seems very ironic. The story in the OP says the screen feels like plastic.

But maybe you have better sources?

The official specs from Nintendo say it's glass. It's not gorilla glass but it's glass.

EricB

They did the exact same thing with the first 3DS run. They don't test.

I have a regular New 3DS and the bottom still leaves a mark on top screen from closing it. It just seems like an issue that Nintendo is unable—or unwilling more likely—to solve

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
7F588FA7-55F5-48D9-B892-50EA80C4D684.png

Gaz_RB

I'm literally scraping my switch across the inside of the dock trying to scratch it and I cannot reproduce the scratches in the OP (or any scratches at all). There's just not a way to arrange the switch in a way that causes scratches.

I think this may be a case of misinformation on the part of glixel, and the emotional reaction to shoving a plastic/glass screen along something hard. Sliding it in feels like it should scratch, which is why I think this glixel story is getting so much traction. When I first saw that there was no soft lining I was worried too--but really guys, I don't think this is an issue.

After seeing the Digital Foundry video of the hardware testing, I don't feel so bad waiting on a different iteration. It seems that Nintendo has the right concept and design choices in some areas for the Switch but forgot to address it in some areas like how there should be felt where you slide in the tablet into the dock.

RedFyn

I'm literally scraping my switch across the inside of the dock trying to scratch it and I cannot reproduce the scratches in the OP (or any scratches at all). There's just not a way to arrange the switch in a way that causes scratches.

I think this may be a case of misinformation on the part of glixel, and the emotional reaction to shoving a plastic/glass screen along something hard. Sliding it in feels like it should scratch, which is why I think this glixel story is getting so much traction. When I first saw that there was no soft lining I was worried too--but really guys, I don't think this is an issue.
Thanks for testing it. I wouldn't be able to do that.

sanstesy

Can you do an endurance test and upload a video?!

HardRojo

Tempered glass is the best solution, I wonder if there's some available for the Switch now, they're great on phones.

Gaz_RB

Thanks for testing it. I wouldn't be able to do that.

Well if it scratched I wouldn't keep it. Honestly if my Switch got scratches from sliding into the provided dock, it was going back to the store for being defective. It'd be incredible if somehow such a basic thing got past testing, especially so soon after launch/reviews.

Waji

Why would anyone listen to you when they have this perfect picture on the first page and a topic that says otherwise.
Whether they buy screen protectors or just bash the system for fun just let them do.

You're not the only one having tried/check the dock and all and not seeing this "issue" as big as they make it seem to be.

Well if it scratched I wouldn't keep it. Honestly if my Switch got scratches from sliding into the provided dock, it was going back to the store for being defective. It'd be incredible if somehow such a basic thing got past testing, especially so soon after launch/reviews.
The first released 3ds had a worst problem so I don't think that works.

But here it's a matter of proportion. most people don't bother checking more than just taking the first post as the undeniable truth.
And if you question it you're a Nintendo fanboy blah blah, as always.

I'm certainly not buying a screen protector.

Gaz_RB

Why would anyone listen to you when they have this perfect picture on the first page and a topic that says otherwise.
Whether they buy screen protectors or just bash the system for fun just let them do.

You're not the only one having tried/check the dock and all and not seeing this "issue" as big as they make it seem to be,

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. People can do whatever they want, I'm just contributing my view.

Gamerman1

I guess it doesn't use Gorilla Glass. That would have made too much sense to have the screen able to withstand the perils of portable use.

tiijj

There's an official tempered glass protector. 15 euros I think.

Do you know the brand? I was looking for the licensed or "official" ones but most of the ones that I see are either plastic film (licensed product) or 3rd party tempered glass screen protector (unlicensed product).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm pretty sure, but not 100%. Somewhere along the way we got some 1600x900 Switch screens which seemed native res.
Thanks, good to know. Is that screengrab feature functioning yet?

Waji

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. People can do whatever they want, I'm just contributing my view.
I guess the way I typed it makes it feel like I'm asking you not to do something but it's just the wording.
I'm just saying : "It's good that you bothered checking/trying, but it feels like only very few people will really care".

The first thing I personaly did was to see how it was working with a friend, not shouting "Nintendo is sh** have to buy a screen protector asap".

newsguy

Well, if the wife ever wants to play a game with me I'll put on the protector and dock it. Until then, this thing will never see the dock.

Gaz_RB

I guess the way I typed it makes it feel like I'm asking you not to do something but it's just the wording.
I'm just saying : "It's good that you bother checking, but it feels like only very few people will really care".

I agree with you there.

But hey, people just spent 300+ bucks and people are telling them regular use is going to damage their console. I can see why people are jumping to conclusions.

Typical launch mania--but I'm sure glixel is loving the amount of clicks they're getting right now.

Shiggy

People is among many things about Switch today

What? So is it now suddenly glass and is everyone wrong with it being plastic? Or is it the next big alternative fact after My Nintendo being the achievement system of Switch and Nintendo having announced cloud saves for Switch?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Did people really think this wasn't going to happen though?

Never thought about it to be honest. I haven't used a screen protector on any phone/system I've owned, and never scratched any of them.

This is a case of using something in the intended fashion and having it get scratches. How should that be expected?

Has Nintendo just stopped giving a shit about build quality? I don't remember my SNES, GBP, and GBC having any build issues.

My last Nintendo device, the 3DS XL had a wobbly right trigger.

btrboyev

If people are super worried about this, I have a solution for you.

Take some tape, doesn't matter what kind. And tape along the inside of the front of the dock.

I don't think you need to worry though.

Illucio

Banned
Actually I just bought a screen protector because of this thread. The same exact screen protector shown in the picture actually. The protector itself easily scratches and the scratches stay.

Quoting myself but with tests!

I tried testing out the screen protector and dock to try to see if I can make similar scratches. I couldn't. No matter how shit this protector is and how easy it was to make scratches with my nails, the dock itself wasn't scratching the terrible cheap ass plastic (the Hori one to be exact) which the article was so suspiciously convenient to underline in the article.

This news article was probably purchased by Hori trying to convince people to buy their COMPLETELY AWFUL scratch protectors. (They got me)

THE DOCK IS PERFECTLY FINE / CLOSE THREAD this is false information.

TrojanAg

Welp, just bought a screen protector for this. I was extra careful putting it in the dock because there isn't some sort of buffer or padding protecting the screen when you slide it in and out.

molnizzle

Screen Protecters exist for a reason.

You shouldnt be surprised if you have damage without protection.

That reason was plastic screens. We haven't had to worry about those for quite a long time now in consumer tablets and smartphones.

People expected the Switch to have a glass screen.

Top Bottom