• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

I have been super careful - I didn't think I had even touched the dock edges - and yet, here, on the side on the bezel and slightly into the screen, is a scratch on the screen protector. I have the Nintendo official one, which I applied horribly - bubbles and crap under it - but yeah, it's a scratch on it. I peeled it up to check if the switch was damaged, and thankfully not.
I have a tempered glass protector coming soon, so i can get this ugly POS off the screen, but I'm not taking it off now given the dock is clearly hitting the screen and could potentially cause damage.

Tiamant

I have been super careful, made a guetto solution with the plastic that came with the Switch and YET I have two scratches on my screen. First time this happens to me in any electronic device.

Whoever designed this needs to go back to design school asap.

Based on the test video earlier and the pictures of deep scratches, there has to be something very wrong with some docks. Like some kind of very sharp edge somewhere along the rails. Those who has gotten scratches should take their finger along the inside of the dock and see if there is something sharp that could have caused it.

yeah, it makes sense.

I wonder if this is like micro scratches on most phones where the actual screen isn't scratched but the oleophobic coating they put on top.

Edit: I'm obviously not talking about the deep scratches. Something is wrong there, but the lighter scratches.

Vitacat

I have been super careful - I didn't think I had even touched the dock edges - and yet, here, on the side on the bezel and slightly into the screen, is a scratch on the screen protector. I have the Nintendo official one, which I applied horribly - bubbles and crap under it - but yeah, it's a scratch on it. I peeled it up to check if the switch was damaged, and thankfully not.
I have a tempered glass protector coming soon, so i can get this ugly POS off the screen, but I'm not taking it off now given the dock is clearly hitting the screen and could potentially cause damage.
Good that you were smart enough to use a screen protector. Your story is exactly why they're necessary. It's a lot easier to deal with a scratched $8 screen protector than scratching the device screen itself.

I'm loving the Switch. Love the controllers, the games. But the dock is garbage.

lutheran

I put a strip of black electrical tape on my dock rails and it has worked fine for me. Not even a hint of a scratch while checking with a flash light. Then again my dock is straight, not bent in.

Sevenfold

This was actually done a few days ago (I also did the same after seeing it).

It's relatively easy, you just need a long tri bit screwdriver and one normal philips screwdriver. You can see the size of the screws on the back of the dock.

Yeah starting to see a few solutions today (I've been in a Z hole hah) not going to remove the front from mine at the moment because the tablet has been in the dock permanently. That said, as soon as someone prints a low profile folding stand/dock I'm in for probably two or three. Ninty massively fucked the dock. I can't fathom. I mean Saab gave us this years ago.
73988577-d533-4fa3-a038-233a0d1b444c.gif

Surely the innovators could've crafted a more elegant solution given the tablet is the jewel. the dock hides it FFS. Bizarre.

Good that you were smart enough to use a screen protector. Your story is exactly why they're necessary. It's a lot easier to deal with a scratched $8 screen protector than scratching the device screen itself.

I'm loving the Switch. Love the controllers, the games. But the dock is garbage.

I actually didn't at first, hence why there's fuzzies under the protector, but before I used the dock, I applied the screen protector.

Agreed the dock is garbage. System is fantastic. I'm absolutely loving it. The dock pisses me off.

Do you all think Nintendo will offer a solution to this?

they should just ship all consoles with a screen protector

--

i know this dock design isn't the best but i think they really needed it to cover the screen to communicate that it wasn't the wii u again.

the screen being completely covered while docked conveys immediately that you cannot use it while it is docked, which effectively communicates the hybrid concept.

Slaythe

But apparently some bad docks can damage even the protectors.

We haven't heard about glass ones getting damaged though. (I don't see how this plastic would damage glass but it's possible if the dock is completely bent... )

PSFan

But apparently some bad docks can damage even the protectors.

We haven't heard about glass ones getting damaged though. (I don't see how this plastic would damage glass but it's possible if the dock is completely bent... )

What glass ones? All Switches have plastic screens.

AllenShrz

I got a bent dock.

I glued a screen protector before ever sliding the switch in it, surprise surprise, the screen protector got some scratches.

Taker666

I hope that everyone here who is getting scratches...

... is actually contacting Nintendo about it and not just sounding off on NeoGAF.

They won't do or say damned thing about it unless they see a load of complaints/a bunch of returns.

Bluenoser

Finally got to use my Switch to play Zelda last night, and still no scratches. In some cases, something appeared that looked like a minor scratch but it wiped away with a bit of effort.

However, I did get to experience the de-sync joycon issue, and it's bad. Anything at all obstructing the line of sight from the left joycon to the switch dock will cause it, and putting the joycons in the grip weakens the signal. Unacceptable Nintendo. This could be a costly fix for them, and the longer they wait the worse it will be. Look what MS had to do once they waited for millions of 360's to be out in the wild.

shiyrley

Banned
Boggles my mind you put so much effort into something so useless. What you are saying is that people are purposefully lying. Why don't you make a thread about that, instead of trolling this one?
- The dock will inevitably scratch the screen
- I made a test doing some extremely rough docking/undocking and it doesn't scratch, I don't understand how this is happening
- YOU ARE A TROLL

????????
Actually doing tests instead of discussing based on a picture is trolling? What is wrong with you?

Kaibutsu

I was hoping that this smart cover coming out in Japan in April would be a good solution while docked but it looks from the official pictures the cover goes over the outside of the dock :(

61JkYUeaPsL._SL1000_.jpg

61emi%2BVWX0L._SL1000_.jpg

Still a pretty cool looking cover

vgamer1

After 24 hours of book stretching, I tested this morning and the dock now has a small 1-2mm gap between the front rails and the screen!

If you have a bent dock, stretch it with a book! I left the book out today, I'll test again tonight.

After 24 hours of book stretching, I tested this morning and the dock now has a small 1-2mm gap between the front rails and the screen!

If you have a bent dock, stretch it with a book! I left the book out today, I'll test again tonight.

Mine was fine on launch day, but it shows a slight curve now. So eventually I think it's going to bend back.

I am going to just charge it and not dock it. Will be emailing Nintendo later today regarding this, they need a solution because this thing will be slid in and out of the dock hundreds of times over the next few years. This is not acceptable.

PSFan

I was hoping that this smart cover coming out in Japan in April would be a good solution while docked but it looks from the official pictures the cover goes over the outside of the dock :(

61JkYUeaPsL._SL1000_.jpg

61emi%2BVWX0L._SL1000_.jpg

Still a pretty cool looking cover

Yeah it is. Is this going to come out everywhere or stay in Japan?

So, how much of a gap do people have when it sits in there?

Mine isn't bent from what I can see, but I certainly have more than 1 to 2mm of space between the screen at the dock.

I probably have between 4 and 5mm. I'm worried that it feels a bit too wobbly if I'm honest.

Letep

Smart!

So, how much of a gap do people have when it sits in there?

Mine isn't bent from what I can see, but I certainly have more than 1 to 2mm of space between the screen at the dock.

I probably have between 4 and 5mm. I'm worried that it feels a bit too wobbly if I'm honest.

That's some book smarts right there! What was the book? Sadly, I don't think I actually own a book... at least not one wide enough.

Mine was fine on launch day, but it shows a slight curve now. So eventually I think it's going to bend back.

I am going to just charge it and not dock it. Will be emailing Nintendo later today regarding this, they need a solution because this thing will be slid in and out of the dock hundreds of times over the next few years. This is not acceptable.
I stretched mine with a wallet a couple of days ago and it looks like it did bend back to its original shape when I checked last night. I'm really not surprised at all, the grade of plastic that Nintendo chooses to use for its accessories has always been terrible. I know that they had to cut corners somewhere to raise the margins on these things but cheapening out on the dock was an awful decision. Even before these issues came to light my initial reaction unboxing it was "Ewwww". It's just feels like the worst kind of knockoff crap and drags down the entire feel of the package. It's a shame because everything else in the box feels pretty great, even the almost as cheap joycon grip.

Slaythe

On the plus side, the plastic is so bad that you can easily use a blow dryer then a book inside, to get a more permanent "bending".

On the plus side, the plastic is so bad that you can easily use a blow dryer then a book inside, to get a more permanent "bending".

I have a book in there now, havenet tried blow dry in it yet though lol...

We will see, I have a y000 but on the way to remove the front, my dock was severely bent when I received it at the top.

Xdrive05

I went ahead and ordered the amFilm tempered glass screen protectors on Amazon. The search listing reported availability on March 15th, but then the product page showed March 23rd. Then one time I opened it, the product page showed the 15th like the listing so I one-clicked it. Who knows when it'll actually ship lol.

Anyone here already get the amFilm one? If so how is it?

ACE 1991

Okay, so what USB c extender do I need to buy so I don't have to put the switch in the dock? Just male to female? Still a little unsure how that setup works.

Since the dock is largely hollow plastic, have you all tried gently bending the plastic cover out from the Switch? Seems like if it's bent you should be able to do that.

Hm... just reporting in once again after about 4 days with the Switch. I dock it at night and undock in the morning to play some Zelda before work. No scratches thus far and I can't seem to find any evidence of them happening via my screen protector. I've even gone to the extent of looking at it with a flashlight just to make sure.

I don't carelessly slap my Switch into the dock, but I'm not treating it super delicately either. Seems like I might just have a good dock and have nothing to worry about! Will report back in a week or so.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah starting to see a few solutions today (I've been in a Z hole hah) not going to remove the front from mine at the moment because the tablet has been in the dock permanently. That said, as soon as someone prints a low profile folding stand/dock I'm in for probably two or three. Ninty massively fucked the dock. I can't fathom. I mean Saab gave us this years ago.
73988577-d533-4fa3-a038-233a0d1b444c.gif

Surely the innovators could've crafted a more elegant solution given the tablet is the jewel. the dock hides it FFS. Bizarre.

I'll admit i've been watching this gif for longer than i'll admit....so smooth....

I was going to get a screen protector non the less for the switch anyway tbh I always do with handheld screens. hell even my smartwatch has tempered glass.

newarrior

Based on the test video earlier and the pictures of deep scratches, there has to be something very wrong with some docks. Like some kind of very sharp edge somewhere along the rails. Those who has gotten scratches should take their finger along the inside of the dock and see if there is something sharp that could have caused it.

That's what I was thinking. I looked at mine, and they're totally smooth. No scratches of any kind, and I've been taking it out at least once a day.

That's what I was thinking. I looked at mine, and they're totally smooth. No scratches of any kind, and I've been taking it out at least once a day.

Same here! I think I've just got some smudging at most. I think there's a hairline scratch on the light gray plastic (not the black screen bezel) but that must be from something else... maybe. I'm now using the screen protector that came with the official carry case, but will be replacing it with the tempered glass protector when it arrives next week (hopefully)

Is there an Amazon link for this?

Top Bottom