• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Sorry for the people that don't think they need to have screen protectors...

south-park-s15e11c04-not-the-feegans-16x9.jpg

And you can avoid drowning if you just wear a life vest at all times!

killatopak

Or its not a big deal because it's a high quality screen after all? Never had any issues with my Vita screen yet we will have people on this topic acting as if they are using OG Gameboy screens because they read plastic xD

It's because there's this other thread where people thought the panel was glass and was skeptical why the screen was scratching on the dock. Then a revelation comes in with the panel being plastic after all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349599

Jumpman23

Have you seen all the broken "super strong glass" iPhones? I'm glad they went plastic. I'll take a scratch over a shattered screen any day of the week.

Skyzard

Banned

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You're also not sliding your Vita into a dock against hard plastic railings.

...reviewers had the Switch for a couple of days and it hasn't been a issue.. We have one person scratching the lower part of the screen setup in a single day and now everyone acts as of that's the norm.

Blueblur1

Wow, the bad news (albeit not incredibly horrible) keeps coming. Will definitely wait for the New Nintendo Switch. So glad I cancelled my pre-order at the last minute.

I find this suspect for the reasons already mentioned and for the fact that you can see gouge marks on the actual plastic casing near the screen edge that doesn't even touch the dock unit. This looks like someone took some keys and went to town on it.
Didn't even notice those. Yeah...

AdanVC

Holy shit so it's just cheap plastic?? Plenty sure it was going to be glass, at least some kind of cheap glass, but glass in the end...

$299 USD.

They had the audacity to charge that much for this thing.

$480 here in Mexico and almost $700 on Argentina. Wow. GG, Nintendo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I believe it has to be glass since it's capacitive. WiiU's was plastic since it was resistive.
No, you can have plastic covered capacitative screen. OLED Vita has such a screen. I believe the Switch screen is similarly covered with plastic (based on some reports I've read online, I haven't got one in my hands yet to confirm).

Get a tempered glass protector you guys. The $10 tempered glass screen will be infinitely better quality than the plastic Nintendo put on the switch, in clarity, in durability, and in tactile smoothness.

It was also this exact case with the Vita.

killatopak

...reviewers had the Switch for a couple of days and it hasn't been a issue.. We have one person scratching the lower part of the screen setup in a single day and now everyone acts as of that's the norm.

Read the article. They scratched theirs as well within 24 hours.

Instro

$299 huh? I mean I know the Vita had a plastic screen, but that wasn't going in and out of a dock. Might need to look into a tempered glass protector.

I'd love to find out what their margins are on this device though. They must be great.

Quonny

Less shatter, more scratching. It's a trade-off. Not sure how I feel about it though

Had the dock had soft rails or felt rails, totally fine tradeoff.

It's not fine when your slide it into a dock with hard plastic and if you get any sand/dirt/dust on those rails it has the potential to really scratch the screen.

A brand new dock isn't going to have dirt/sand/dust on it. Of course this isn't a big issue for a brand new dock.

RowdyReverb

"super-tough glass". "iPhone or iPad". Heh.

Doesn't glass break easier? Look at the amount of iPhones with broken screens

In what universe do the iPhone and iPad have "super tough" glass?

Have you seen all the broken "super strong glass" iPhones? I'm glad they went plastic. I'll take a scratch over a shattered screen any day of the week.
Glass on Apple devices is hardened, meaning more scratch resistant, but not necessarily resistant to impact damage
Strong may have been the wrong word choice though

I feel like we might need a dedicated thread to keep up with all the Switch issues,

-Left Joy-Con desync.
-Spotty Wi-Fi & can't access public Wi-Fi if a web browser is needed for user agreement.
-Screen gets scratched by poor dock design.
-Frame-rate worsens in docked/TV mode.
-Charging trouble/confusion - poorly indication on when the battery is being drained and when it's properly being charged.

Seems like Nintendo really rushed this bad boy out of the door.

Griss

Wow, this is not good. I had just assumed...

How did we only find this out now? My Vita got scratched to hell and back, I was looking forward to not having that problem with Switch. This is actually a serious negative point for me.

Skyzard

Banned
I find this suspect for the reasons already mentioned and for the fact that you can see gouge marks on the actual plastic casing near the screen edge that doesn't even touch the dock unit when slid in. This looks like someone took some keys and went to town on it.

lol, pls

None of the launch issues have really bothered me, but a plastic screen? What the fuckis Nintendo doing?

This shit is $300 and it has a plastic screen. I'm speechless. I don't want to go out again in buy a shitty $10 screen protector.

Get a tempered glass protector you guys. The $10 tempered glass screen will be infinitely better quality than the plastic Nintendo put on the switch, in clarity, in durability, and in tactile smoothness.

It was also this exact case with the Vita.

Link? Probably the best option.

I've watched a Wii U Gamepad bounce across a hardwood floor with no screen damage.

I've had a phone slip off my lap and shatter...

Nintendo did the right thing, here.

Just put a screen protector on it. You get scratch and shatter resistance.

I don't know who in their right mind would try to frame this as a negative.

I don´t know about you guys, but all my electronics are in perfect condition even after more than 10 years of use. I do handle things with CARE. That is the key. My 3DS is like brand new after looots of hours of use. Damn! Even my original Game Boy is almost brand new! I have been wearing the same watch for at least 5 years now and there is no single scratch on it....so I am not worried at all. I will just use the dock properly and carefully, like I do with all my stuff.

CronoShot

It does make some sense. Plastic doesn't shatter like glass. It's probably better with kids involved.

Still, I would personally prefer glass.

goldenpp72

So you suggest kids not play with it? Sure an adult will take care not to just ram the thing in there but kids just want to play as soon as possible and not think about taking care not to scrape the inside of the unit.

Yeah and kids always have shit that is broken and jacked up. They also don't give a crap if a screen has some scratches when their controllers are broken and screwed up from misuse. No device can stay cosmetically pretty under the stress some people put on them.

None of the launch issues have really bothered me, but a plastic screen? What the fuckis Nintendo doing?

This shit is $300 and it has a plastic screen. I'm speechless. I don't want to go out again in buy a shitty $10 screen protector.

Link? Probably the best option.

Has any single gaming portable ever had a glass screen? Including PSP and Vita?

sanstesy

This is such an oversight. What the fuck?

There is no problem at all with a plastic screen but design the hardware around it.

I feel like we might need a dedicated thread to keep up with all the Switch issues,

-Left Joy-Con desync.
-Spotty Wi-Fi & can't access public Wi-Fi if a web browser is needed for user agreement.
-Charging trouble/confusion - poorly indication on when the battery is being drained and when it's properly being charged.

The screen thing isn't even remotely a problem if you're careful, the frame rate is specifically an optimization issue with zelda, there's an option for precise numerical percentage on battery life, and there's literally a web applet that launches so you can access public wifi landing pages. Literally stop talking shit.

KAL2006

Banned

-Left Joy-Con desync.

Agreed can we have a Switch. Thread with all the issues

Pathetic! I've keep my phone in my pocket with my keys every day for the past 2 years and there's not a scratch on it! Nintendo went cheap big time with this hardware.

Top Bottom