• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SlingTv Debuts New Single/Multi-Stream Services; Launches NBC, Comcast Sports, & more

Status
Not open for further replies.

yodandy

Press Release
Orange / Blue packages & differences
New Channels, Packages, & Add-Ons Chart
Reddit Discussion

Kind of confusing to wade through the new packages and add-ons, but I'm tempted to grab whatever package nets me more sport channels, especially Comcast Sports Net, and I almost want to upgrade to whatever will get the wife Bravo + E.

Didn't see this posted and it's pretty big news for Sling.

SLING TV DEBUTS NEW SINGLE-STREAM AND MULTI-STREAM SERVICES; LAUNCHES NBC, USA, BRAVO, SYFY, NBC SPORTS NETWORK, BBC AMERICA AND MORE
“Sling Blue” multi-stream service to feature NBC, USA, Bravo, Syfy, BBC America, BBC World News and more; priced at $25 per month
“Sling Orange” single-stream service now includes BBC America and BBC World News; remains $20 per month
Purchase Sling Orange + Sling Blue, save $5 for a total of $40 per month
On-demand content for NBC channels expected to be available soon
Sling TV now offers more than 100 channels
June 30, 2016
"Consumers now have more than 100 channels to choose from as they customize their ideal television experience"
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sling TV unveiled new single-stream and multi-stream services, “Sling Orange” and “Sling Blue.” Sling Orange now includes BBC America and is still priced at $20 per month. Sling Blue now features NBC, USA, Bravo, NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), Syfy, BBC America and costs $25 per month for new customers. In addition, Sling has introduced a multi-service discount that brings Sling Orange and Sling Blue together for $40 per month. Additional NBCUniversal networks are available in Sling Blue’s Extra packs, including E!, CNBC, MSNBC, Oxygen, Golf and NBCUniverso.

“Consumers now have more than 100 channels to choose from as they customize their ideal television experience,” said Roger Lynch, CEO, Sling TV. “With our new multi-service option and NBC Universal programming, Sling is one of the few pay-TV options where value continues to improve.”

Sling TV Pricing Updates
Introduced as a “beta” service in April, Sling TV’s multi-stream service, Sling Blue, is now priced at $25 per month. Customers who signed up during the beta phase will receive the additional channels found in Sling Blue and their price will remain $20 per month with their current subscription.

The single-stream service, Sling Orange, remains priced at $20 per month.

Sling TV Programming Updates
Sling Orange and Sling Blue

Sling Orange and Sling Blue core services now include BBC America. For more information on BBC America, visit blog.sling.com.
Sling Blue

Sling Blue (multi-stream) is available to new customers for $25 per month and includes local NBC (for select markets), USA, Bravo, NBCSN and Syfy.
Sling Blue customers will have access to live, local NBC broadcast stations in the following 10 markets: Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Hartford, Conn., Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego and Washington D.C. Access to on-demand programming will be available in a later update.
Regional Sports Networks for select markets (Comcast SportsNet: California, Bay Area, Chicago and Mid-Atlantic) coming soon.
Sling TV expects to add local content from NBC affiliates in the future on a market-by-market basis.
Sling Blue Extra Packs
Sling TV launched new networks across its Sling Blue Extras, each priced at $5 per month:

“Sports Extra” (New Extra Pack) – Golf Channel joins beIN Sports, Outside TV and Univision Deportes
“Lifestyle Plus Extra” – E!, Oxygen and Vibrant TV join VH1, Cooking Channel, DIY, FYI, WE tv and LMN
“World News Extra” – BBC World News, CNBC and MSNBC join HLN, euronews, France 24, News18, NDTV 24/7 and RT Network
“Best of Spanish TV” – NBCUniverso joins 24 other Spanish and bilingual channels
All other Extras for Sling Blue remain unchanged
Sling Orange Extra Packs
Sling TV launched new networks across its Sling Orange Extras, each priced at $5 per month:

“Lifestyle Plus Extra” – Vibrant TV joins VH1, BET, Cooking Channel, DIY, FYI, WE tv and LMN
“World News Extra” – BBC World News joins HLN, euronews, France 24, News18, NDTV 24x7, Fusion and RT Network
For a full list of Sling Orange and Sling Blue channel lineups, including Extras, visit http://news.sling.com/document-library/sling-tv-beta-multi-stream-service-channels.

Additional Sling TV updates
In addition to the Sling Orange and Sling Blue updates, Sling TV also made changes to its Spanish-language programming and packaging, “Best of Spanish TV.” For more information about these changes, visit blog.sling.com.

About Sling TV
Sling TV L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), provides over-the-top television services, including domestic and international live and on-demand programming. It is available on televisions, tablets, computers, smartphones and other streaming devices. Sling TV offers two streaming services, which collectively include more than 100 channels and programming content from Disney/ESPN (single-stream service only), Fox (multi-stream service only), NBC (multi-stream service only), HBO®, AMC, A&E, Turner, Scripps, Viacom, EPIX and Univision. Additionally, Sling Latino offers a suite of standalone and add-on Spanish-language programming packages tailored to English-dominant, bilingual and Spanish-dominant U.S. households. Sling International currently provides more than 250 channels in 20 languages across multiple devices to U.S. households. Sling TV is a next-generation service that meets the entertainment needs of today’s contemporary viewers. Visit www.Sling.com.

Follow @Sling on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Sling #TakeBackTV

Nice to see them keep trying to improve their offerings. But until they offer DVR service Vue is the way to go for me - especially for live sports that I'm not always around for.

Rocketz

Guess I'll be getting the combo pack today. Fiancé loves the service and her only negative is it didn't have Bravo.

Considering biting but the quality of the broadcast might hinder that. It seems like at least half the time on any channel, the quality drops quite a bit, there are strange color "bands" that pop up and there are frequent sound issues. For anyone who has Vue, does this happen at all/a lot? I've got 300 mb/s down btw, so my internet isn't the problem.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Considering biting but the quality of the broadcast might hinder that. It seems like at least half the time on any channel, the quality drops quite a bit, there are strange color "bands" that pop up and there are frequent sound issues. For anyone who has Vue, does this happen at all/a lot? I've got 300 mb/s down btw, so my internet isn't the problem.

It happens on a rare occasion but even during the last Superbowl Vue was in HD at 60 fps with no major issues or drops.

Edit: I find Vue to be a massively better deal and service at this point, especially after the last update that added a ton of quality of life improvements. Its also out on android and Roku now.

johnny956

I'm not seeing it under blue which is sad.....because ESPN, plus comcast sports net would basically have covered all my basketball needs

Yea I switched to the beta multi-stream for Fox Sports Midwest and FS1/FS2 but you lose ESPN. I wish sling just gave you pricing options on them. Bummer

It happens on a rare occasion but even during the last Superbowl Vue was in HD at 60 fps with no major issues or drops.

Edit: I find Vue to be a massively better deal and service at this point, especially after the last update that added a ton of quality of life improvements. Its also out on android and Roku now.

Thanks. I might give Vue another try and see if things work out better.

Sling TV Pricing Updates
Introduced as a “beta” service in April, Sling TV’s multi-stream service, Sling Blue, is now priced at $25 per month. Customers who signed up during the beta phase will receive the additional channels found in Sling Blue and their price will remain $20 per month with their current subscription.

This is the case for me. And now we get BBC America? Fantastic!

I'll just use the WatchESPN app for sports. Still kinda sad that I can't get local sports yet through them.

I live in Los Angeles, does SlingTv use eastern time for shows?

Yes. I live in Denver and all of their 8:00 pm programming comes on 2 hours earlier for me.

With the latest update, is the main difference between VUE and Sling is that Vue offers the DVR feature and 'the TV anywhere apps for many channels correct?

HStallion

Thanks. I might give Vue another try and see if things work out better.

Yeah they added in a lot of little things like a small window of what you're currently watching in the top right corner while browsing the guide as well as a single button press brings up a menu with options like,"Return to last viewed channel", "Your Shows (DVR)" etc. I already liked the service but its getting steadily better every couple of months.

yodandy

Get both blue and orange for $40? Meh, I'll go with PlayStation Vue.

I just checked out Vue as I noticed they just released a Roku app, for me (Chicago), the basic package is $40, what do you pay and where are you located?

I'm still on the basic Sling package and with TMobile I pay $15 with this discount . I have zero loyalty and am willing to switch, just wondering what everyone is paying.

This is the case for me. And now we get BBC America? Fantastic!

I'll just use the WatchESPN app for sports. Still kinda sad that I can't get local sports yet through them.

Yes. I live in Denver and all of their 8:00 pm programming comes on 2 hours earlier for me.

Thanks, bummer for me. Guess I'll have to pass.

I'd probably be interested if I had just Internet. At present, with Comcast it's cheaper to get the $50 Internet + basic TV bundle which includes HBO than just standalone Internet through them ($60)

MrMephistoX

Bummer Fox News still isn't available...not that I agree with the politics far from it but one of my favorite business travel pastimes is turning it on in my hotel room and brushing up on the latest right wing idiocy.

Haven't had cable in years so maybe it's a good thing?

HStallion

I just checked out Vue as I noticed they just released a Roku app, for me (Chicago), the basic package is $40, what do you pay and where are you located?

I'm still on the basic Sling package and with TMobile I pay $15 with this discount . I have zero loyalty and am willing to switch, just wondering what everyone is paying.

Depends what market you're in. Vue is still in beta technically so they're constantly adding things to it and tweaking others as well as adding new channels and extra channel packages. I live in NJ so I'm in one of the "starter" markets and I pay $40 for like... 50 channels but also includes live local TV. A lot of other places in the country its $30 for the same channels but you don't always get live local TV. It seems random and probably depends on local contracts which Sony is still working out in many places.

Right now Vue just surpassed 100K subscribers while Sling has about 700K.

Afrikan

I wonder what is holding them back from offering the same channels as Vue? or matching the prices.

I believe SlingTV started way before Vue, so I would think they would be able work something out with these companies.

edit- seems, SlingTV has added alot of content since I first tried the service.

Tom Nook

Basic $40, Bay Area (San Fran, San Jose, CA area)
see avatar ;),

Hm have to look more in depth at the new packages. I have been using SlingTV for awhile now and at first I was a bit put off with technical issues. But the last few months or so, it has been very stable.

I don't care about multi-streaming at this point, but I will miss USA once Mr. Robot comes back.

johnny956

Yea I got the T-Mobile deal with sling and it worked with the Multi-stream beta so paying $14/a month for that package. Not a bad deal at all

yodandy

Yea I got the T-Mobile deal with sling and it worked with the Multi-stream beta so paying $14/a month for that package. Not a bad deal at all

How'd you get into the beta? Would love to get a deal in the future, didn't hear about this until now.

Askani

Sweet. I changed my plan during the Beta phase so it looks like I'm grandfathered in for $20 and hey, more channels!

Redwing199

Neo Member
Seeing their $25 multi-steam package that adds more channels but removes ESPN killed any thought of going back for me. Plus their streams were always hit or miss with sudden buffering for long periods of time. I've had no issues with Vue so far and for $30, I get everything I need plus DVR.

I do like seeing them add more channels and features though. Will be on the lookout for more in the future.

Askani

Seeing their $25 multi-steam package that adds more channels but removes ESPN killed any thought of going back for me.

Had the opposite effect for me. I was more than happy to drop ESPN to gain FX, FS1, FS2, and get baseball games I actually care about. I don't really care about the NFL or college football anymore, so that made it an easy sell.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I have Sling now, but really thinking of switching over to Vue. The 5 streams at once is hard to beat along with that channel lineup. Discovery, H2, Big Ten Network, etc. I won't make any moves until college football season starts as it seems Sling is steadily making improvements, but Vue is the better service, IMO. During football season, I sometimes have 2 or 3 games on different devices at a time. Can't do that with Sling. Now I only need to get a roku stick so I can sign up/activate a new Vue account.

We really need a cord cutting OT.

MrMephistoX

That's what I was wondering myself. I'm on the multistream beta.

I got grandfathered in too; I get ESPN for free since I work at Disney so Blue is a great value for me especially now. My usage is really high now that there's a native Apple TV app. That remote is really great for navigating the UI.

ViciousDS

Banned

Playstation Vue is showing me $44.99 for the elite channel package which is fucking insanely cheaper than any alterate for dish, DirectTV or Comcast.....holy crap why haven't I switched!

Levyne

Banned
So if I want to get Fox and NBC channels, I lose ESPN unless I get the 40 dollar package? Might as well get a tv tuner /antenna for my computer to pick them up ota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom