• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slowly but surely, I am being converted to Apple...

tokkun

Default apps, no, but you can delete them now

As for the file system, while you can't browse files like you would with some Android apps you can still manage. Music, iTunes app. Photos app for pictures & video, all stuff stored in iCloud can be access via Files.

The same can be said for Android as well with Google Music, Photos & Drive.

I store a lot of terabytes of data in a NAS, so being able to copy files back and forth over my local network is important for me. I can do that pretty easily with file explorer apps on Android.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Congrats on being forced into thinking objectively through experience instead of remaining naively critical?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I store a lot of terabytes of data in a NAS, so being able to copy files back and forth over my local network is important for me. I can do that pretty easily with file explorer apps on Android.

in my experience this is such an ambiguous statement with little effort of actually identifying "what" the desired needs, benefits, effects, etc. are. This is more "this is how I do it and don't want to change" than it is "these are the things I need"

I mean I have "terabytes of data" also.. most of us probably do. but how much of it is used primarily through cloud services, how much of it is effectively stagnant data (or essentially archived data), how much of it is fluid and constant use, etc.

if I were to look at my terabytes of data I can already say with certainty that it consists of:

hundreds (thousands?) of episodes of anime that are probably available on a dozen different streaming services

songs that are all on Spotify/Apple Music

movie rips that, likely at any given time, are largely represented on one or more streaming services.

a photo library of 19 years that has all been imported to iCloud Photos for the last two years

a home video library that similarly has all been imported into iCloud Photos for the last two years

once you remove all of those things.. and all of the downloads I've never cleaned up.. we are probably talking less than 500GB of files that I care about. and of the stuff I mentioned above, photos and home movies are the only thing taking up space on my iCloud storage. Which according to my phone right now is 350GB used for photos.

worst case scenario, I dump the files I care about onto my desktop or my documents folder and they get synced to iCloud Files available instantly to all of my devices and Macs.

tokkun

in my experience this is such an ambiguous statement with little effort of actually identifying "what" the desired needs, benefits, effects, etc. are. This is more "this is how I do it and don't want to change" than it is "these are the things I need"

I mean I have "terabytes of data" also.. most of us probably do. but how much of it is used primarily through cloud services, how much of it is effectively stagnant data (or essentially archived data), how much of it is fluid and constant use, etc.

if I were to look at my terabytes of data I can already say with certainty that it consists of:

hundreds (thousands?) of episodes of anime that are probably available on a dozen different streaming services

songs that are all on Spotify/Apple Music

movie rips that, likely at any given time, are largely represented on one or more streaming services.

a photo library of 19 years that has all been imported to iCloud Photos for the last two years

a home video library that similarly has all been imported into iCloud Photos for the last two years

once you remove all of those things.. and all of the downloads I've never cleaned up.. we are probably talking less than 500GB of files that I care about. and of the stuff I mentioned above, photos and home movies are the only thing taking up space on my iCloud storage. Which according to my phone right now is 350GB used for photos.

worst case scenario, I dump the files I care about onto my desktop or my documents folder and they get synced to iCloud Files available instantly to all of my devices and Macs.

Are proposing that I spend many hours combing through my data so I can migrate it to a system that will offer me much slower transfers and cost me $10 / month?

If so, I'm not sure you get the power user mindset.

Giolon

I feel you, but this is straight out of 2012.

Can't remember the last time I opened iTunes for any reason. It's legacy software unless you're into Apple Music on a computer.

Or if you want to load music files onto your iPhone's native music player that wasn't purchased from Apple and you don't pay for Apple Music.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Or if you want to load music files onto your iPhone's native music player that wasn't purchased from Apple and you don't pay for Apple Music.

Or Spotify, Google Play, Tidal, Amazon Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Groove, Soundcloud etc...

Damn there are a lot of music services out there.

pswii60

Sure, but you can buy and use a iPhone happily without ever coming in contact with iTunes.
You can now? Then how can I copy PDFs to my iPad without using iTunes (or any dedicated software for that matter). I just want to drag and drop like a file system.

Froxenblade

Neo Member
I mean, yeah. Nothing wrong with that. Use what you like. If I didn't love PC gaming, I'd be all Apple for sure. It makes more sense for work, and for my day to day use to use iPhone/iPad/Mac, and that's what I end up spending most of my time using. It's crisper, cleaner, and I can get stuff done quicker in iOS/OS X so that's what I gravitate towards. The inter-connectivity between Apple products can't be overstated enough for those who want/need it. My PC is used exclusively for gaming, and I also have my media server running on a PC.

ironmang

Never really understood the hype for apple products. Picked up an iphone 3 years ago and besides better battery life I haven't noticed any positives over the android phones I had prior. Airpods are 5x+ as expensive as my earbuds with the added risk of being lost. Still don't know what advantage an apple watch provides over a phone for someone with pockets.

Slightly off topic : Does Amazon not sell iPhones? I see listings from 3rd party vendors, but nothing "shipped and sold by Amazon".

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Never really understood the hype for apple products. Picked up an iphone 3 years ago and besides better battery life I haven't noticed any positives over the android phones I had prior. Airpods are 5x+ as expensive as my earbuds with the added risk of being lost. Still don't know what advantage an apple watch provides over a phone for someone with pockets.

The watch needs an iPhone to function, no?

mcfrank

You can now? Then how can I copy PDFs to my iPad without using iTunes (or any dedicated software for that matter). I just want to drag and drop like a file system.

There are 20 different ways to do this without using iTunes, or connecting your iPad to a computer for that matter.

Their products are too expensive, with key functionality (for me) missing. Proprietary ports etc also really bug me. But, if you're happy go for it!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

iOS integrates Dropbox and OneDrive well enough that I almost never have issues accessing content. If I have something locally on my computer I can transfer by dragging to either of my local Dropbox/onedrive folders and then getting it on GoodReader or other apps on iPad

@borghe - how do you sync your home movies to iCloud? Probably the only missing thing for me - think I have my photos all there now

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Figured they could leave their phone in the car or whatever. If you have to have it on you what's the point to having the watch then? lol

Watch works fine without the phone as long as you’re in range of wifi that the phone has connected to before. I’ve left my phone at home by accident and used just my watch at work

I do think that there isn’t really any walled garden any more. It’s so relatively easy to flip between services and android/iOS, or even mix and match. You sync contacts via google to to either platform, you should be syncing files and photos probably to at least two places for security.

Staying within one ecosystem provides some nice benefits but nothing you can’t live without. I like how I can receive and reply to text messages on my iPad because at home my phone is usually not on me. Especially useful for things like 2FA codes sent by SMS. And of course Apple Watch requires an iPhone - but I liked android wear when I had an android phone

The last two are no longer relevant. iOS 11 has a file system now. And iTunes hasn't been needed for years.

Regarding the first, same with flagship Android phones--Galaxy/Note, Pixel, etc.

Wait, iOS 11 finally introduced a fucking file explorer?!

Does it allow installation of third-party apps?

Does it allow you to import/download your own music?

Gee, if the headphone jack comes back and if they add an SD card slot, I might get an iPhone 9S or an iPhone 10 in the future.

Dougald

Gee, if the headphone jack comes back and if they add an SD card slot, I might get an iPhone 9S or an iPhone 10 in the future.

It’s super basic, and it doesn’t show the file system at all. It’s more like a collation of your file sharing apps like Dropbox, iCloud Drive, etc in one place. Much better than before but it’s not exactly finder or windows explorer.

It’s super basic, and it doesn’t show the file system at all. It’s more like a collation of your file sharing apps like Dropbox, iCloud Drive, etc in one place. Much better than before but it’s not exactly finder or windows explorer.

If it doesn't let me access/download stuff what even is the point. Sigh.

Dougald

You can access files and store things in there though?

Only really in the same way you could before with iCloud Drive, only now you can also see your other file sharing apps in there. I assume Funyarinpa wants to actually access the file system at some level rather than the abstract iCloud Drive/Dropbox/whatever files, which is probably never going to happen in iOS without a jailbreak

Only really in the same way you could before with iCloud Drive, only now you can also see your other file sharing apps in there. I assume Funyarinpa wants to actually access the file system at some level rather than the abstract iCloud Drive/Dropbox/whatever files, which is probably never going to happen in iOS without a jailbreak
Yes, pretty much this. I'd also like to be able to use my phone's memory as a USB (possible on Android), and play the music I download to my phone on the phone's native music player.

entremet

You could use the Google Music App, which has digital locker functions. Same with Amazon's Music App if you don't care for iClould Matching via Apple Music.

Top Bottom