• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM64: Collect Red Coins, Escape from the Green Demon

Nintaiyo

Does this work on the Wii version of SM64? I tried it earlier, and it seemed like the mushroom disappeared after a while...

loosus

Banned
epmode said:
Because all of the planet-hopping + gravity tricks would have worked in 2D, right?
Considering many of the "gravity tricks" were actually already in fixed-position 3D (i.e., so-called "2.5D") in Galaxy itself? Yeah, I'd say they'd work in 2D!

DrLazy said:
I like Mario 64 better for the exact reasons you say it is inferior. Mario 64 had true freedom. True 3D. Not a set path, but true exploration. The best part was even though you selected a certain star, you could go and explore and "accidently" get a star from a different mission. It was great.
Sunshine destroys Mario 64 in terms of exploration though, with much bigger levels that require some creative FLUDD usage in order to see everything. 64 lags way behind Sunshine and Galaxy no matter which way you look at it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Hootie said:
Do those two guys plan on making more videos?
I think they did, but most of them are stuck on nico nico, and sp0rsk doesn't want to share :(

DrLazy

nincompoop said:
Sunshine destroys Mario 64 in terms of exploration though, with much bigger levels that require some creative FLUDD usage in order to see everything. 64 lags way behind Sunshine and Galaxy no matter which way you look at it.

Did you read what I wrote? I love Mario Sunshine, but Mario 64 is better in many, many respects.

First, as I said, in Mario 64 the mission structure is such that you can go into a world and get any of 7 stars --- 100 coins, 8 red coins or five star missions available no matter what was "selected" in joining the world. There were some exceptions, but that is mostly how it worked. Sunshine and Galaxy both removed this and suffer because of it. They force the player down a linear game path in a 3D world. Mario 64 had a little of the GTA open world design while still being focused. Awesome.

As for Sunshine, the level design in Mario 64 shits all over Sunshine -- which had better controls.

DrLazy said:
First, as I said, in Mario 64 the mission structure is such that you can go into a world and get any of 7 stars --- 100 coins, 8 red coins or five star missions available no matter what was "selected" in joining the world. There were some exceptions, but that is mostly how it worked.
This assumes Galaxy was even going for quite the same thing. It didn't "remove" things from Mario 64 so much as it created a hybrid between the linearity of the 2D games and the vastness of the 3D games. While you didn't always get to explore that vastness, you got a quick pacing that Mario 64 couldn't match on its best day.

A sandbox isn't inherently better. In fact, I'd say the worst levels of Galaxy are the ones that try to ape Mario 64's style. The bee world immediately comes to mind.

These guys are fucking great at Mario 64. I'd probably shit myself if I attempted to do that mountain slide/jump from their Cool Cool Mountain runs.

Rezbit

Hehe, that's such a cool idea. I love it when people find strange new ways to challenge themselves in games. Wish I could understand them, though!

Edit: :lol Holy shit at 5:55 in their Cool Cool Mountain video!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Finally watched some of these over the weekend. Oh man, the part when he did the mountain slide jump and accidentally flew into the cannon... :lol

shaowebb

Just saw this today in another thread 2 years after it was posted and my sides hurt from laughing.

LETS DO THIS!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
what the fuck is with people bumping all of these old threads lately only to say something like "THIS IS HILARIOUS!!!!!!"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Darklord said:
That looks pretty fun. I'll never do it myself but was cool watching them.

It adds nothing new to a dead thread.
So should we make a new thread about this and have the discussion a second time?

Acerac

Banned
makingmusic476 said:
I wouldn't have seen this thread otherwise!

Man, watching this makes me want to play SM64. I wish SMG had a soundtrack that was more like SM64's.
Same here.
Two years is enough time where it is fresh to many, eh?

shaowebb

Well the reason I bumped it was I was going to dedicate a thread to the same thing after seeing these videos for the first time today. Since a thread already existed for it though I decided that It'd be better to bump it rather than create a duplicate thread for something like this.

And what does it add to the thread? A chance for those of us who didn't see it 2 years ago in it's 3 pages of life to see it now and enjoy it's wonders.

Back on topic.
Never check to see if you got the Green Demon mushroom pinned...it always ends badly

Also a montage of failed attempts to outrun the Green Demon mushroom including one hilarious one where he makes it all the way to collecting the star...and still fails.

Spent a week doing this with my roommates a while back. I remember trying to fly to a different part of the bob-omb level when the damn thing engulfed the entire screen.

Neiteio

This is amazing. <3 SM64. :)

I second the notion (on the first page, back in '09) that we need a 64-2. Now that we have the 3DS, this would work quite handily!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Neiteio said:
This is amazing. <3 SM64. :)

I second the notion (on the first page, back in '09) that we need a 64-2. Now that we have the 3DS, this would work quite handily!
uh I think they're doing that

shaowebb

s5fln9.gif

aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheOGB

Banned
shaowebb said:
s5fln9.gif

aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol :lol :lol

Just started watching this, friggin' hilarious.

rar

super mario should be celshaded and look like mario world or yoshi's island in 3D

super-mario-world.jpg

touchfuzzy-468x.jpg

i love 64 but the art style and color palettes of the 2D games was alot better

Grinchy

Banned
hahaha I've seen this thread before but glad it was bumped. It's still funny to watch.

I should really try this challenge out myself, but without Japanese guys laughing, I'm not sure it would be quite as entertaining.

Utako

Banned
bard said:
That's it, I'm firing up the N64...

Mario 64 was so simple, that's what made it fun. No gimmicks like in Sunshine or Galaxy. You were just Mario, the world was 3D, and it was time to play.
Contradiction!

Oh man I loved watching these back in the days! Thanks for bumping, all such great entertainment. Couldn't stop laughing at all the survival horror action. XD

Looks like more great fun from a legendary game.

Top Bottom