• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Small neighborhood Chinese food places... how low quality do you think their meat is?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Not sure if anyone here who lives in a small town will know what kinda Chinese food places I'm talking about, but in big cities, even moderately sized cities there's usuallya run of the mill one on every corner. China Wok, China Garden, China Panda, Hunan Wok, etc. They all have the same damn names and there's a billion of them, and all their food tastes almost exactly the same except for a few variations.

Anyway, several years ago, I just stopped eating from these places entirely. The steak in their pepper steak dishes was always like rubber and their chicken in the orange chicken and general tso chicken dishes were always blubbery and gross, and I always wondered where these small little corner places get their meat from and how low quality is it, if it's even real meat at all, because it didn't taste like it and that's why I stopped. And they cook the food so fast, there's no way they hand batter fresh chicken and actually cook it right? It's gotta be pre-frozen or some shit. Hey, if I'm wrong, let me know, but it seems shady and never tasted right.

I still eat Chinese food, but only at highly regarded restaurants with a good reputation, but I just don't trust those neighborhood corner joints anymore, and haven't for years.

Anyone here who lives in a big city knows what I'm talking about. Anyone here know how low quality the meat is, and has anyone here worked at one of these joints?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I think it’s just that they don’t trim anything off the meat, they just cut it up and whatever you get you get. That’s how they keep it cheap.

good enough to savor the fuck out of

spare ribs with some fried rice and a crunchy egg roll

smear it all in yi pin hot sauce and duck sauce and suck the life out of that bitch

o.jpg

Last edited:

Mistake

I never cared. And you can ask them to cook things more authentic if you ask them you know, depending on the place. Most things they make are catered to American tastes. I think the drinks are usually better than most bars at some of them. I only need one or two to mess me up

I don't visit the really cheap looking places anymore, and tend to stay with a few where I know that the food is really well made.

Dontero

Banned
Good enough to not be shutdown by safety control.
None of your probably realize just how crazy laws are toward food even in US.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Chinese food in the US is not real Chinese food, just like Taco Bell is not real Mexican food. It's all mystery meat.

TacosNSalsa

Boneless spare ribs combo plate Always liked mine a little burnt :messenger_savoring::messenger_savoring: Also this is one of the authentic dishes I think its really called Char sui or something like that

good enough to savor the fuck out of

spare ribs with some fried rice and a crunchy egg roll

smear it all in yi pin hot sauce and duck sauce and suck the life out of that bitch

o.jpg

It’s just the cheapest they can get at wholesale. Then much of the stuff is precooked and then reheated at time of order.

Also laced with MSG. The secret ingredient that keeps you coming back for more.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Chinese restaurants -- and most asian food stores -- all purchase from the same handful of local suppliers, whether that's a bulk provider or a specialized Chinese merchant or even Gordon Food Services. That meat is likely pre-cut (and pre-breaded, where applicable), frozen, then sold. This ensures the food quality is "good". The restaurants that cook from scratch are the ones to watch for (but those are also the ones that often have more authentic dishes)

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So I was in the mood for some lo mein for some reason, I haven't ordered takeout in a while because of COVID. I went to yelp to find a good place near me and the closest Chinese restaurant near me was on there and I don't know if this is a new feature on Yelp or if I just never noticed it before, but each restaurant has a Health Grade. The Health Grade for a restaurant near me had a 44/100 score and it had 22 violations. Things like no soap in employee bathroom, using soiled rags to wipe utensils and also wiping down counters with the same rags. :sick: :sick:

So I was like ew that's fucking gross, went to the next closest one and it also had many violations. I stopped there. Ugh man, fucking gross, never again(I know I technically didn't even order, but now I'm not even gonna think about it even for some lo mein). Only high quality Chinese food restaurants downtown will I ever get food from anymore. Corner joints off limits.

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

I love Chinese food, but generally I cook my own.

Some of the ingredients can be a hassle to get hold of, and removing the collars is always a chore.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Youll never see pigeons flying around those buildings but that don’t stop me baby. Those shitty low meat quality restaurants get real tasty.

I do find it hilarious you never see the employees eat any of what they cook during their break. It’s always this gigantic bowl of fresh greens.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I don’t really think about it. I know that a lot of chemistry magic goes into delivering that artificial flavor I enjoy. I have made my peace with it.

Super Mario

Banned
There was one chinese restaurant in my city that got closed down because they were serving coyote meat marinated in urine.

Yes, but how good is it?

I never really cared when people pose this question. Is it going to kill you? Have you verified the meats used in other businesses?

V4skunk

Banned
In Britain the small family run places usually have the highest quality!
If its shit they go out of business.

MrMephistoX

So I was in the mood for some lo mein for some reason, I haven't ordered takeout in a while because of COVID. I went to yelp to find a good place near me and the closest Chinese restaurant near me was on there and I don't know if this is a new feature on Yelp or if I just never noticed it before, but each restaurant has a Health Grade. The Health Grade for a restaurant near me had a 44/100 score and it had 22 violations. Things like no soap in employee bathroom, using soiled rags to wipe utensils and also wiping down counters with the same rags. :sick: :sick:

So I was like ew that's fucking gross, went to the next closest one and it also had many violations. I stopped there. Ugh man, fucking gross, never again(I know I technically didn't even order, but now I'm not even gonna think about it even for some lo mein). Only high quality Chinese food restaurants downtown will I ever get food from anymore. Corner joints off limits.

I lived in China OP and the only coast in the U.S with authentic Chinese food is the west coast.

From LA/San Gabriel Valley to San Jose/Fremont and Seattle the food is good. Everywhere else is shit.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Lol. Cmon people, Chinese restaurants aren't serving you cats and dogs here in the first world.

And even if they were fuck it, that last batch of General Tso's I ordered was on point.

nush

Things like no soap in employee bathroom, using soiled rags to wipe utensils and also wiping down counters with the same rags.

That's how you know it's an authentic Chinese restaurant. Anyone that's even lived with older Chinese mainlander has seen the "One rag to rule clean them all". That rag that's cleaned your dishes will be used to wipe the floor etc. Washing dishes with hot water? That's usually a nope too.

-YFC-

I think they get their meat at wholesale prices, that's why it's so cheap.
Either that or they serve dog/cat/bat meat. I don't know.

Top Bottom