• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros 4 roster to be completely revealed next month on corocoro

Platy

Meaning that someone is cut. I hope it's Wolf and and ROB.

Considering how you can customize the movesets, there should be no reason for more clones.

Gives Fox option to have wolf moveset and kill it with a fire.

ROB is not a clone and it will stay ! ><

Considering how you can customize the movesets, there should be no reason for more clones.

I shouldn't have to tell you this, but Wolf's moveset is completely different from Fox's, the only similarities being superficial similarities in their Special moves. Wolf is more different from Fox than Falco is, and if one of them had to be cut it should be Falco.

Every time someone complains about Wolf or Lucas or Ike being clones I die a little inside.

Let me guess- more generic anime-inspired characters that will drain the excitement from my body. :/ God, this series used to appeal to me back when it was squarely aimed at fans of the iconic Nintendo characters. My biggest complaint back then was that they included too many pokemon characters. Now it's that they are including too many anime-style characters. Ugh.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Let me guess- more generic anime-inspired characters that will drain the excitement from my body. :/ God, this series used to appeal to me back when it was squarely aimed at fans of the iconic Nintendo characters. My biggest complaint back then was that they included too many pokemon characters. Now it's that they are including too many anime-style characters. Ugh.

Then pick another character. Geez.

Timeaisis

Quiet you.

ROB is an amazing character!

img-2263958-1-b3af7bf2_halfbaked-boo.gif

Wolf and ROB da bess.

Damn you.

Wow, look at all this ROB love.

A Japanese game from a Japanese publisher with lots of well-received animesque-looking games having a a decent amount of anime-style characters? Stop the presses.

And I don't even like anime.

EulaCapra

I'm not holding my breath for these reveal promises since the wording could lead to entire roster or the roster shown so far. At the very least, maybe our good ol' Jigglypuff can be confirmed.

On a related question, anyone remember how Mario Kart 8's final roster got unveiled?

I couldn't agree more. Give me K. Rool and Ridley or give me death.

Timeaisis

Yes, he is a uniquely beloved char. Don't cut him Sakurai!

That's fair. But if it's truly 45 (which I believe it is), it doesn't leave any wiggle room for newcomers. In all likelihood we're at least getting 2 newbies still, leaving 2 characters to be cut, via BY2K's math, which may or may not check out.

That's fair. But if it's truly 45 (which I believe it is), it doesn't leave any wiggle room for newcomers. In all likelihood we're at least getting 2 newbies still, leaving 2 characters to be cut, via BY2K's math, which may or may not check out.

If it's two, I think it's gonna be Snake (for legal reasons, obviously) and either Lucas or Wolf. And honestly, I think Wolf is more different from Fox than Lucas is from Ness.

I swear if Shulk is not in this roster I might cry.

I haven't been so desperate to have a character in Smash this much since Sonic in Brawl.

Even if he is in I'll still probably cry if he doesn't get his own announcement trailer. So many great reveal possibilities would get thrown away.

Kurtofan

I haven't been so desperate to have a character in Smash this much since Sonic in Brawl.

Even if he is in I'll still probably cry if he doesn't get his own announcement trailer. So many great reveal possibilities would get thrown away.

It's not going to be a full roster reveal so don't worry.

I also support those R.O.B. fans, he's a great character. Hope he's still in.

And on behalf of my (banned) bro Feltrol, Wolf is actually a pretty good character too.

There are still signs that Shulk is in (Monolith's retweets, his voice actor's tweet about unannounced projects). Not to mention that the Gematsu leak isn't quite dead yet, it's just lost some credibility.

Thinking about it, they missed another good opportunity for Phoenix Wright to be in smash, his series is pretty much exclusive to Nintendo systems and he's popular enough to be put in mvc3. It isn't like the game doesn't have wacky moveset characters anyways.

Capcom pls.

I get what you're saying, but these characters do mean something to many Nintendo fans in spite of what your own opinions of them are. I'm with you in that I love the classic gaming icons a lot more than I do the more obscure anime inspired characters, but I appreciate the variety they bring to the roster anyway. And let's be honest here; as far as main characters go, most of Nintendo's franchises are well represented as of Brawl, so it should be no surprise that they are digging a little deeper into the barrel for this one.

Corocoro did this last time with Brawl. Didn't contain the full starting roster let alone the hidden roster.
Yeah, this is what I found:
Braw'ls "reveal" book said:
[big text at the top]Super Smash Bros X All Character Big Presenting to the Public Book

[yellow text below] That King DeDeDe has finally arrived! The game with subjects [also read as topics] under monopoly that always get attention, a complete single copy [of a book, magazine, etc.] that explains the Smash Brothers' characters [read as all characters].

[white text at bottom] As for what it contains, if we tell you now then next month on our homepage, we wouldn't have anything to say, so other than those who have a time machine, wait in anticipation for next month!!"

However, this time I think it makes heavy emphasis on revealing "all" characters. I guess we have to wait and see.

Beelzebub

What are true nintendo icons to you? I'm confident what you'd name are all already there. Fire Emblem has been around since the Famicom and is apart of Nintendo's history whether you like anime or not..

El Sloth

Banned
Meaning that someone is cut. I hope it's Wolf and and ROB.
You're a terrible person who hopes for terrible things!

Wolf was awesome, a slow heavy hitter with a cool projectile and reflect that played nothing like Fox or Falco. ROB was just plain old fun to play.

KoopaTheCasual

Come on, Marlow Briggsss!
Thinking about it, they missed another good opportunity for Phoenix Wright to be in smash, his series is pretty much exclusive to Nintendo systems and he's popular enough to be put in mvc3. It isn't like the game doesn't have wacky moveset characters anyways.

Capcom pls.
Damn, that is a missed opportunity.

munchie64

Guess what: Those characters are Nintendo characters! Crazy I know seeing diversity in a line-up spanding decades, systems, genres and audiences.

But ya know people complained when Rosalina was revealed and said there were too many freaking Mario characters of all things, so every reveals gonna get someone mad.

Fire Emblem is a Nintendo exclusive franchise that has been around since 1990 on the NES. It predates and has more games in its series then Star Fox, F-Zero, Mother/Earthbound, and Punch Out. Heck the only Nintendo franchises with more games are Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon. It even has more games then Metroid series.

Your complaint is silly and shows you know nothing of nintendo or its history.

DJIzana

So this will be pre-gamescom reveal then?

I'm certain Shulk will be there then... he has to be. Xenoblade was released in Europe before it was released in North America. Not only that but the number or JRPG's seems like it's more stronger there, lately, than it is in North America. Would be perfect for Ness, Shulk and anyone else to be revealed. Especially given how many attendees go to Gamescom too.

Fire Emblem is a Nintendo exclusive franchise that has been around since 1990 on the NES. It predates and has more games in its series then Star Fox, F-Zero, Mother/Earthbound, and Punch Out. Heck the only Nintendo franchises with more games are Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon. It even has more games then Metroid series.

Your complaint is silly and shows you know nothing of nintendo or its history.

You really shouldn't jump to conclusions or make assumptions. I'm very aware of how long FE has been a series. What you're not considering is whether those characters are recognizable or even attractive to a western audience. So next time, you might instead assume that someone that has heavily frequented Gaf for fourteen years would know a thing or two about Nintendo. And you know, already has most of the Super Famicom FE games in his collection. ;) Doesn't mean I have to like their inclusion in Smash. I know that must be hard to understand.

Anura

The Anime comments are hilarious to me. We got Villager, Mac, Megaman, Rosalina, Pacman and Wii Fit Trainer but all it takes is two FE characters announced and suddenly Smash is Anime.

What are true nintendo icons to you? I'm confident what you'd name are all already there. Fire Emblem has been around since the Famicom and is apart of Nintendo's history whether you like anime or not..

Where the hell are Miyamoto with his E3 2004 final smash, Regginator with his kicking ass and taking names final smash and Iwata with his "Please understand" final smash?

Miis don't do them justice. These guys have unique movesets!

zlatko

Banned
Golden Sun characters would be cool imo.

Otherwise I'm fine with something like Bayonetta as others have mentioned.

Or do something crazy like Robo from Chrono Trigger. Why not?

So does Fire Emblem: Awakening

Fire Emblem Awakening has only three models for each gender and a default name. As the models were aged based even one would still have many similarities to the others. The protagonist also had actual dialog.

Xenoblade X has an insane amount of customization and there is no sign of a default name yet. He also appears to be a silent protagonist.

Chibi Robo :)

not really a new IP anymore though, first game ws in 2005

I was actually going to include him as a character who I tthink deserves to be in but like you said I was talking about strictly new franchises.

Chibi-Robo has had four games including one relatively recently. To me the franchise is most deserving among those unrepresented with characters.

Though both Donkey Kong and Metroid deserve third reps with Dixie and Ridley.

Wario is weird because he's still strongly tied to Mario (more than DK) so I can't say his franchises deserve more reps like the bigger DK and Metroid. I would welcome another characters like Mona, Captain Syrup or Ashley (not happening this time). It helps he has so many worthy female characters to add.

You really shouldn't jump to conclusions or make assumptions. I'm very aware of how long FE has been a series. What you're not considering is whether those characters are recognizable or even attractive to a western audience. So next time, you might instead assume that someone that has heavily frequented Gaf for fourteen years would know a thing or two about Nintendo. And you know, already has most of the Super Famicom FE games in his collection. ;) Doesn't mean I have to like their inclusion in Smash. I know that must be hard to understand.
Why should Nintendo cater to the western audience?

Top Bottom