• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMT V: Switch Exclusive

I am creating a large egg/cocoon that will transport the chosen posters above the firmament while neogaf below is sealed. Hoy this post if you wish to be counted among the flock.

ReyVGM

Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei were once released primarily on Nintendo platforms, now everyone is acting as if Sony owned the exclusivity or something?

Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei were once released primarily on Nintendo platforms, now everyone is acting as if Sony owned the exclusivity or something?

"Everyone"

No? I actually don't even see one person claiming Sony owned exclusivity. Might wanna take an eye exam!

TP

From what i've seen it's mostly people who don't understand the Megami Tensei umbrella/Atlus marketing

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SMTV can hopefully be localized by 2019 or something but you know how things are...

UNLESS... Nintendo jumps on this and helps Atlus with localization.

I hope this doesn't take forever to come out like Persona 5 did. I'm buying Switch as soon as SMT V release date for west is confirmed.

EDarkness

SMTV can hopefully be localized by 2019 or something but you know how things are...

UNLESS... Nintendo jumps on this and helps Atlus with localization.

I hope they do something and do a worldwide release. I guess I can play the JP version, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

TP

We just gotta throw our Macca at them!

1YUk4oM.jpg

Worlwide release isn't happening, even P5 couldn't manage that

HenryEen

Banned
I hope this doesn't take forever to come out like Persona 5 did. I'm buying Switch as soon as SMT V release date for west is confirmed.

Same here.

On topic, I hope the game starts in normal everyday tokyo and we witness the apocalypse like in SMT1 and Nocturne.

AGITΩ

will probably be my first actual SMT game. Playing P5 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions got me curious about the main series.

So funny enough, I just got into the series like 2 days ago by emulating Persona 4. Im having lots of fun, but as someone whose clueless of the series as a whole, whats the difference between this and the Persona games??

Danjin44

So funny enough, I just got into the series like 2 days ago by emulating Persona 4. Im having lots of fun, but as someone whose clueless of the series as a whole, whats the difference between this and the Persona games??

Well for one you dont summon demons here like you do in Persona. Instead you recruit demons as part of your party. In SMT the biggest focus mostly on dungeon crawling and there is no calendar system like in P3-5.

Mediking

Lol I don't even know how to begin...

Persona...Persona... is my favorite series. You're a teen trying to save people and you have powers.

SMT... is vastly more dark and complex. Persona can be dark and complex too but SMT takes it to another level.

Well for one you dont summon demons here like you do in Persona. Instead you recruit demons as part of your party. In SMT the biggest focus mostly on dungeon crawling and there is no calendar system like in P3-5.

Lol I don't even know how to begin...

Persona...Persona... is my favorite series. You're a teen trying to save people and you have powers.

SMT... is vastly more dark and complex. Persona can be dark and complex too but SMT takes it to another level.

So would it be fair to say its a "different strokes for different folks" deal or is one ideally better than the other? Persona 4 is my first game in the series (im at the Kanji boss at the moment) and I love some of its darker tones.

TP

No social links, no high school setting, different but similar battle style

SMT games are set in a post apocalyptic Tokyo with plenty of dungeon crawling, labyrinths, puzzles, and higher difficulty (usually). And most of the time you're gonna end up killing your friends instead of forming bonds with them. Most of the time.

Nesther

If I hadn't gotten a Switch by now, this'd be the game that would push me to buy one, just like SMTIV back then. I hope Kaneko goes back to doing all the character/demon art instead of being the scenario writer though.

Mediking

So would it be fair to say its a "different strokes for different folks" deal or is one ideally better than the other? Persona 4 is my first game in the series (im at the Kanji boss at the moment) and I love some of its darker tones.

Persona is also more about self discovery and coming to peace with yourself.

SMT is also about self discovery in how you either want the world to burn to be saved. Lol

SMT games are set in a post apocalyptic Tokyo with plenty of dungeon crawling, labyrinths, puzzles, and higher difficulty (usually). And most of the time you're gonna end up killing your friends instead of forming bonds with them. Most of the time.

Lmao... so true... cherish your friends in SMT before somebody has to die.

Danjin44

Look if enjoyed Press turn combat in Persona then I say give try. The combat can be much tougher than Persona but they are satisfying.

If you can emulate Nocturne on your PC or own PS3. I would say start with that game because in my opinion, Nocturne has the best Press Turn combat than any SMT/Persona.

Is it like Persona where I can just come in with 5? Or do I need to play the first one to know what the heck is going on?

TP

Is it like Persona where I can just come in with 5? Or do I need to play the first one to know what the heck is going on?

Not entirely

2 is a direct sequel to 1
3 is stand alone
Strange Journey is stand alone
4 is stand alone BUT Apocalypse is a direct sequel to 4

SMT 3 is a highly recommended way to start the series

Top Bottom