• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I really can't tell the difference between 4K and 1080p and I feel crazy.

Unfortunately I don't have it. Been using Diablo 3 and the PS4 menus.
If you can't tell in Horizon, something is up. 5 or 6 feet is optimal for UHD at that TV size, and you' going from ~2 million pixels to ~8million. The jump from 720p to 1080p is ~1 million to ~2 million and on a UHD TV the difference will be easier to see per-pixel, but the sheer jump in resolution is double that of the jump from HD to FHD.

Do you per chance wear glasses? The chart also (unfortunately) assumes you have essentially 20/20. The worse your vision is, the less the clarity will be noticeable, especially at only 55".

RomeoDog

Banned
Unfortunately I don't have it. Been using Diablo 3 and the PS4 menus.

Pretty sure Diablo 3 is full 4K man. The rest are mostly 1440p 1800 or 2160p checkerboarded using the Pro Patch thread for reference.

I'd have tested TLOU sooner but I'd need to redownload and its a large amount of gigs. I might DL it over night and see if I notice anything there.

My bad. But to really do the visual test you want you need a game that doesn't downscale.

I need glasses BTW. And have considered that as a reason as to why I don't enjoy 4k as much as others.

Lucky for you! No ever need to upgrade ever again!

On the other hand though, they'll never get to experience the amazing wow factor that comes with a new upgrade. :/

Especially the cool experience of going through your whole library again to see the difference it makes.

I did this just from going from a 1080p screen to a 3440x1440 screen. The difference to me was incredible and that's not even taking into account the aspect ratio.

Foxxsoxx

If you can't tell in Horizon, something is up. 5 or 6 feet is optimal for UHD at that TV size, and you' going from ~2 million pixels to ~8million. The jump from 720p to 1080p is ~1 million to ~2 million and on a UHD TV the difference will be easier to see per-pixel, but the sheer jump in resolution is double that of the jump from HD to FHD.

Do you per chance wear glasses? The chart also (unfortunately) assumes you have essentially 20/20. The worse your vision is, the less the clarity will be noticeable, especially at only 55".

Nah I don't wear glasses and as far as I've ever been able to tell my vision is 20/20 from checkups and everything over the years. Never had any problems there.

I'm wondering if it is the TV itself or if I somehow have messed something up.

You're sitting too far away from a 55 inch.

8 feet away is too far?

Anything closer is just disorienting man. Just tried RE7 at about 5 feet away and felt awful after a few minutes. I can be much closer on my 32 inch but being that close to a 55 inch and you have to shift your eyes around way too much.

clintar

That is not close at all, especially for UHD. Please see the link I posted, but also please look at this:

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

this is bullshit, right?

You’re not crazy. I’ve got a 65 inch oled, and sitting about 8ft back, i can barely tell at times. Looking at those charts of resolution vs distance, i’m right on the threshold of where the difference between 4K and 1080p are blurred. Apparently i need to either sit closer or get an even bigger TV.

Nope to both.

Do you have a UHD blu ray player? I notice it more with movies than games. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the 4k thing but I'm 12' away from a 75" tv so maybe that's why according to that chart.

HDR is noticeable though

This is also the first setup I've had a real surround sound system, I've never played anything outside of headphones/TV speakers. Its like going from 480i to 1080p in one jump, amazing!

If only there was more 7.1 support

this is bullshit, right?

Not exactly. The best way to think of it, is like sand on a beach. Pixels are like grains of sand. Typically when you're just walking around, you don't notice the individual grains or get a clear contrast or distinction between the grains. As you get closer however you do. It's what is known as pixel density in this situation.

As to the picture, it varies depending on the person, but it's not completely bullshit.

If you have Elder Scrolls Online, switch between 4K & 1080p inside the game (Can be done in game settings) and it's a world of difference. It's crazy sharp. The HDR in it is fantastic.

Foxxsoxx

If you have Elder Scrolls Online, switch between 4K & 1080p inside the game (Can be done in game settings) and it's a world of difference. It's crazy sharp. The HDR in it is fantastic.

I do have it, might give it a go. Would have to redownload it though and that's scary. So many gigs.... I'll give it a try though man thanks.

No. You're comparing Streaming something over Netflix to actual native 4K content

Yeah which is why I dismissed that myself. Really wish Pro had 4k support for discs.

The 4K displays actually showing 4K footage (although they're the high end ones) look leagues better than what I see on my screen. For instance 4K Netflix at home looks nothing like the 4K I saw on the displays at the store when it comes to clarity.

It's pretty common for display models to be rigged.

By rigged you mean entirely over corrected for maximum brightness, color and contrast then yes.

But the main reason it look different is the display models on the floor are playing 4k content off of a UHD Blu-Ray player or more likely Jump Drive that has special 4k and or HDR content.

I can tell you having run some or those LG and Samsung Demo's on my properly calibrated TV at home, they are huge step up from streaming. I just wish I had an UHD/HDR Blu Ray player. Damn you Sony.

I do have it, might give it a go. Would have to redownload it though and that's scary. So many gigs...

Yeah, look at the walls and such in 1080p first. Once you see them in 4K, you'll definitely know. Far less blurry. I have bad eyes myself and was able to enjoy the extra clarity, but I did sit closer.

RomeoDog

Banned
I do have it, might give it a go. Would have to redownload it though and that's scary. So many gigs.... I'll give it a try though man thanks.

Yeah which is why I dismissed that myself. Really wish Pro had 4k support for discs.

Does your TV support USB drives? Have you looked at UHD demos at home?

4K is such a waste of time. So much power required for something that adds a negligible improvement.

3D was a way better use of power. Still salty it was abandoned during the PS3 era.

Agreed. Enjoyed it in Uncharted 3 and Gran Turismo 6.

styl3s

I had a KS8000, have a X800d in my room and some OLED LG and outside a few UHD movies and the youtube stuff i can't tell the difference. And when it comes to the OLED most of my standard blu-rays look just as good as the 4k counter parts aside from the HDR stuff which i can't tell the difference. Maybe i am blind.

I love the OLED, it produces great blacks and colors which is what i want when i watch films but i am 100% content on watching standard ass blu-rays until 4k blu-rays start pushing out native 4k stuff and not 2k transfers and they drop down in price because i am not spending $25-30 on a film when standard blu-rays often release at $18-20.

theWB27

I'm the opposite. Wish I was one of them. Would be so liberating.

I went from a 200 dollar 1080p 32inch tv to a 55 inch Sony hdr smart 4k etc tv and then back to the 200 dollar one.

I'd absolutely prefer to have to deal with worse than to not see better. Not much liberating about not noticing better tech... Especially if you're into it.

Business

I'm pretty much like you OP. I sit some 3 meters away from a 55" 4k tv and I have a hard time telling if my PS4's output is 1080 or 4k.

Foxxsoxx

So I did a test and watched a 4K video on the TVs built in Youtube app and could definitely tell that it was outputting 4K.

I'm so freaking confused...

theWB27

So I did a test and watched a 4K video on the TVs built in Youtube app and could definitely tell that it was outputting 4K.

Netflix was like this on my sister's tv. Watching it on the console instead of the Netflix tv app was incredibly inferior.

If i remember correctly the Netflix app on Xbox s didn't even have the 4k content category. Could only get it through the tv.

Well, that's compressed video, so watching 4K even on a 1080p screen might be an improvement due to higher bitrate. Or it's that the lighting/content of the video made the difference more noticable.

Z..

I went from a 200 dollar 1080p 32inch tv to a 55 inch Sony hdr smart 4k etc tv and then back to the 200 dollar one.

I'd absolutely prefer to have to deal with worse than to not see better. Not much liberating about not noticing better tech... Especially if you're into it.

Thing is, I couldn't care less about resolutions and graphics. In my case, noticing when something is "better" is meaningless.

SliChillax

Not trying to be funny but have you got your eyes examined? My friend said the same thing only to find out he needed glasses.

Foxxsoxx

So going into Youtube app vs the app on the TV itself I've noticed that when going to the stats which tracks the resolution playing videos on the PS4 app only brings them to 1080p at max resolution and says the resolution can go as high as 2160p, tested with multiple videos but Sony themselves say it outputs 4k and even shows a screenshot on their website.

Meanwhile I check the stats on the TV app and it goes to 1440p and up to 2160p viewing the very same videos.

Something is making me think the connection via the pro and TV something is going wrong or the PS4 app uses less bandwidth.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really know what to say to these threads, haha. I bought a new 4KTV and Pro the other week, loaded up Horizon, and then prayed to the UHD Gods because I became a believer on the spot.

So going into Youtube app vs the app on the TV itself I've noticed that when going to the stats which tracks the resolution playing videos on the PS4 app only brings them to 1080p but Sony themselves say it outputs 4k and even shows a screenshot on their website.

Meanwhile I check the stats on the TV app and it goes to 1440p and up to 2660p.

Something is making me think the connection via the pro and TV something is going wrong?

Nah that's just the app. It barely reaches 4K for whatever reason. Netflix does a better job of reaching 4K on PS4 in my experience.

theWB27

Thing is, I couldn't care less about resolutions and graphics. In my case, noticing when something is "better" is meaningless.

I do care. I like eye candy and one of my most anticipated things about new hardware is seeing how something like nba2k will look. In some games better visuals help to create a more engrossing time.

I don't know why better is in quotes though.

Do you have an HDMI 2.0 cable?

There's no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 cable.

There's 10.2Gb/s or normal speed cable
18Gb/s or "High Speed" cable

Each has a Ethernet variant and non Ethernet variant. Essentially making 4 different kinds of HDMI cables.

The spec of HDMI 2.0 refers to the hardware module in the device controlling the HDMI port.

That's probably what you meant. I just want to make that absolutely clear. As there are quite a few essentially scams and overpriced cables that label themselves as "HDMI 2.0" cable etc, when they are no different than any other $5 high speed cable.

ryushe

This sounds like me and screentearing.

Unless it looks like someone took scissors to half of the image on the screen, I cannot for the life of me tell when it's happening.

I can see the difference, but it's not worth the investment imo.

The difference is there though, sit a bit closer to your tv and you'll start to notice.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can see the difference, but it's not worth the investment imo.
That's kind of the issue here. People regularly talk about "investing" in 4K but that's not what you're investing in.

TV technology has improved dramatically in the last few years with consumer OLED TVs and huge improvements made with LCDs.

All of that technology is limited to 4K panels. Nobody is selling decent 1080p display any longer - they are cheap, bargain bin products with lower quality panels and chipsets.

When buying a new TV, it's not about investing in 4K, it's about investing in good panel technology. It just so happens that those panels are 4K. I think the improvements in panel quality and the introduction of HDR make a larger difference but 4K is a very nice addition.

Beyond the rendering resolution, I also feel that the benefit of 4K is the elimination of visible pixel grid at normal viewing distances. On a 1080p display, you can very easily see the pixel grid, I've found. On a 4K display, unless it's absolutely massive and you sit rather close, the grid effect is basically eliminated.

Basically, I don't think it's fair to say "it's not worth investing in 4K" because that's not what you're really investing in when buying a new TV today. That's just part of the package.

napata

That's very weird. If the comparison was between native 1080p and native 4k I'd understand because the difference can be rather small if you aren't using massive tvs. However the difference between 1080p on a 4k tv and native 4k should be massive.

That's why you don't upgrade to 4k if you do a lot of console gaming on your tv. Even with a PS4 pro there are too many games still at 1080p or with only a minor res bump. You'll essentially be downgrading your graphics by going from 1080p to 4k.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
4k is nice but it just seems like tr new 3D but actually catching on this time. A anew fad to sell new tech.
As I said, it's not.

Do you think 4K will go away then and everyone will just go back to 1080p panels? That's not going to happen and it shouldn't.

What TV do you have?

Some TVs require you to turn on enhanced 4k to get any benefits. My Sony 930 Bravia required me to do that.

Peterc

You know, 4k is the most gimmick word out there.
I've already 2y a 4k curved big TV.

What i've learned so far about those small details you get when playing a 4k game is that it's just another marketing term.

When you play a game for lets say 10min, you don't even notice the differents anymore because of the distance and that you get used to it.

The only way you can notice the small differents is by switching from 4k to 1080p and 4k again. It just something that is nice to have but nothing more than that.

If you really want the best of the best and you are more of a core gamer instead of mainstream gamer, choose a high end PC.

Top Bottom