• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...Nimona looks cute.

Toots

Gold Member
I'm gonna piss in your soup guys, sorry but i cannot refrain myself...
In the 33 seconds i managed to watch, i only saw unfunny jokes ("im not a villain" with a broken glass bottle in hand) and crap a 13 year old internet troll would find too edgy and cringe ("who do you wanna kill first"). I forced myself to watch more, and the shapeshifting part was somewhat well done and i guess the movie cand be visually entertaining but still the question remains :
Why does Hollywood insist on making unfunny people write what is supposed to be funny movies ?
0f8.png

But it is ok, I kown i'm not the target audience, because i'm not a british gay frog with glass as much oversized as my ego.

PS : "Based on the totally metal graphic novel" :messenger_pensive:
"Totally metal" is an oxymoron (emphasize on moron), and there absolutely nothing metal about that movie. Totally is something a square teenager would say, metal is not something a square teenager would listen to. SO who let the soccer mom who though she was cool by putting that in the trailer do it ?
PS 2 : I don't know anything about Mark Kermode, apart from the pics a quick google search unearthed, so he might be a british gay frog with glasses as oversized as his ego, or he may be a pretty decent dude, i don't really know.

Banned
the reflections in the trailer when they run past the windows inside the office building (0:32), the alpha of the window glass is different in the rt reflection on the floor than outside the reflection... in the reflection the windows are completely transparent and you can see what's behind them, while outside the reflection the windows are almost opaque.

also the light that's shining at the wall is missing from the reflection completely, while the big brown door seems to use a lower quality LOD with a simplified texture and missing handles inside the reflection...

yes, I just analysed the graphics of a netflix Trailer 🤣 but those reflections stood out to me in a weird way when watching it

Last edited:

GymWolf

the reflections in the trailer when they run past the windows inside the office building (0:32), the alpha of the window glass is different in the rt reflection on the floor than outside the reflection... in the reflection the windows are completely transparent and you can see what's behind them, while outside the reflection the windows are almost opaque.

also the light that's shining at the wall is missing from the reflection completely, while the big brown door seems to use a lower quality LOD with a simplified texture and missing handles inside the reflection...

yes, I just analysed the graphics of a netflix Trailer 🤣 but those reflections stood out to me in a weird way when watching it
You need a fucking gametag.

Something like "i 💋 screen space reflections"

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I guess it's not bad. The animation and action look ok. The dialogue is meh, but I only watched the trailer.

Also not the target audience since I spent a portion of what I watched of the trailer focusing on the awful haircuts of pretty much everyone.

GeekyDad

I'm gonna piss in your soup guys, sorry but i cannot refrain myself...
In the 33 seconds i managed to watch, i only saw unfunny jokes ("im not a villain" with a broken glass bottle in hand) and crap a 13 year old internet troll would find too edgy and cringe ("who do you wanna kill first"). I forced myself to watch more...
Yeah, I didn't care for the trailer either. I'd recommend checking out Kermode's review. The full scene they show was more interesting and contextual.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I hadn't heard of this movie, and was interested in watching without even seeing a trailer, but then I found out... it stars Chloe Grace Moretz :lollipop_neutral:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Mentally ill dipshit trying desperately to get attention.
Baffles me a writer needs to identify as anything other than the genre they author. Then again, I'm trying to rationalize clownworld media. They hit most key bullet points for modern filmaking.

Tams

Other than the teenage girl thing, it looks decent. The animation mostly looks good even.

Though I can absolutely see how it could be full on clownworld inside. I hope not though.

GeekyDad

Other than the teenage girl thing, it looks decent. The animation mostly looks good even.

Though I can absolutely see how it could be full on clownworld inside. I hope not though.
Yeah, I think folks might be reading too much into the LBQXYZ thing. That perspective just seems to be a part of the younger generation's awareness. But as a silly, cute animated film, it looks promising. According to Kermode, it was originally a Disney project. The animation looks great to me, and though the male character seems pretty damned Disney-generica, the little girl seems funny and endearing.

Maybe it's the old man in me. I'mma check it out.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

This was from oscars.org but I believe pretty much every cinema appendage of Hollywood has a copy of this in some shape or form.

When I mention them hitting the bullet points...I mean these:

Movies, TV shows and what have you are no longer made for entertainment for the most part (not going to say everyone caved into this). Seems more like a societal change and if you dare disagree with these standards; you're cancelled.

But an easy one here is to watch this and check the standards sheet. No one needs to pay for tickets to see this and many here (myself included although I don't use it) are subscribed to NetFlix. So, it'll be easy to tell whether this is storytelling (which is the main goal of animated film) or...clown world media.

Well, my kids (5 and 9) and I just watched this movie and boy do they have a lot of questions. I had to explain what gay is and how people are gay and that it’s ok and they don’t have to be, but if they are that’s fine too.

Anyway, that was some forced bullshit I didn’t need to deal with right now.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Well, my kids (5 and 9) and I just watched this movie and boy do they have a lot of questions. I had to explain what gay is and how people are gay and that it’s ok and they don’t have to be, but if they are that’s fine too.

I only watched 15 seconds of the trailer, but as soon as I saw the girl protagonist I stopped watching it. Now you mention gay characters. Ok, another one made for "modern audiences", I'll just pass. And please note that I have absolutely nothing against female protagonists or gay characters, but all of this as become too tiresome for me.
Fortunatelly wallets speak louder and hopefully good stories will come back in favor of this agenda with forces characters.

GeekyDad

I only watched 15 seconds of the trailer, but as soon as I saw the girl protagonist I stopped watching it. Now you mention gay characters. Ok, another one made for "modern audiences", I'll just pass. And please note that I have absolutely nothing against female protagonists or gay characters, but all of this as become too tiresome for me.
Fortunatelly wallets speak louder and hopefully good stories will come back in favor of this agenda with forces characters.
Fair enough, but honestly, I don't think this film focuses on the agenda I believe you're referring to. I think it's just an element they purposely added to attract the younger generation. The story seems focused on pretty much the same thing Disney (the original producers) typically focus on: feelings.

Again, I think folks may be getting too hung up on that. Maybe. Haven't seen it yet, so I can't say for sure. But I am going to watch it when I can. The girl character seems silly and fun.

Damn, what a great movie. Easily the best animated movie of the year next to Spidey (so far).
Really good performances from both leads as well and I even enjoyed the soundtrack.

Yeah probably gonna watch it tomorrow again as I think my gf might like it as well.

Lasha

Mountain out of a molehill. Nimona isn't about being gay or gay relationships. The main character's love interest, who is also an antagonist for most of the movie, is gay. The movie itself is the best animated film I've seen in ages. Gorgeous animation, solid vocal performances, and legitimately funny writing. Solid film for children. A must watch if you are into animation. Some of the scenes flow so fucking smoothly.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Mountain out of a molehill. Nimona isn't about being gay or gay relationships. The main character's love interest, who is also an antagonist for most of the movie, is gay. The movie itself is the best animated film I've seen in ages. Gorgeous animation, solid vocal performances, and legitimately funny writing. Solid film for children. A must watch if you are into animation. Some of the scenes flow so fucking smoothly.
Then you have incredibly low fucking standards.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I just came here to read someone write that. Let's face it, they're not writing films for the art of animation or great storytelling. Just making sure they hit every bullet point so no one complains. Creativity, free thought is forbidden.

Last edited:

Lasha

I just came here to read someone write that. Let's face it, they're not writing films for the art of animation or great storytelling. Just making sure they hit every bullet point so no one complains. Creativity, free thought is forbidden.

Children's movies have been formulaic forever. Angsty gaffers aren't the target audience. Learning to appreciate something within its context is difficult I know.

Toons

Was just watching the Kermode & Mayo review. The footage they showed kinda latched me right in. Turns out, Kermode really like it as well.

Gonna check it out?

Their review:

Id heard of it and rhe character design was cool but I was gonna ignore it.

Read some of the comments here and they were about what I'd spent from gaf. So I watched the trailer.

Now I'm probably gonna give this a watch. I really like the animation.

Some folks will complain about anything. And also... idgaf the lifestyle of who wrote it if the stories good. Om a comic lover so I respect almost any one who's into that. And making a graphic novel is no small feat.

Last edited:
My kids biggest takeaway out of the whole movie when it was said and done was the two men kissing. I wasn’t making a mountain out of a mole hill, it was just unexpected. As far as the movie goes. The animation was ok. It was pretty funny in some parts.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My kids biggest takeaway out of the whole movie when it was said and done was the two men kissing. I wasn’t making a mountain out of a mole hill, it was just unexpected. As far as the movie goes. The animation was ok. It was pretty funny in some parts.
Watched it with my daughter, I thought it was pretty fun. She didn't even seem to notice the kiss, her biggest takeaway was that she would like to be able to change into different animals.

Lasha

Watched it with my daughter, I thought it was pretty fun. She didn't even seem to notice the kiss, her biggest takeaway was that she would like to be able to change into different animals.

My eldest cringed at the kiss like he does whenever any characters kiss in media. My youngest was shocked because he thought the two were just really good bros. Neither really cared since they were both obsessed with the action and music. Nimona made my kids wake up at 6 on the weekend so they could sneak watching it without permission.

The only dick move was Netflix finally closing our family sharing when they went to watch it a fourth time.

Top Bottom