• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Shopto (UK retailer) cancelled my PS4 preorder for complaining on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moze

Banned
Nice work OP. You get a free PS4! Side note, ShopTo you did the right thing. I've ordered countless items from you guys, and this was a dumb move. Common sense prevails indeed.

They only done the right thing because of the bad publicity.

If the OP had phoned Shopto up and explained the situation, they would have most likely told him to fuck off.

Congrats to OP for getting a free PS4 though

Alchemist

For those who were struggling to understand the situation:

Further investigation into this matter shows us that the customer was not actually pointing abuse at us, but just talking to his friend, so in this case we have to deeply apologise for being in the wrong.

Glad everything worked out OP.

Still,

Anyone with half a fucking brain could see that it wasn't being tweeted at ShopTo.

Whoever runs their Twitter is just a cheeky, bitter fuck for whatever reason and whilst it;s good to see them apologise I doubt they'd have done anything if it hadn't got all this attention, more likely they'd just have ignored it.

It was all a setup to get free consoles.

OP and the shopto guy are buddies.

The pink elephants never lie.

Sendou

Congratulations on the free PS4 but really that "apology" doesn't change anything. I don't want to shop anywhere that would cancel my pre-order for something like that. It's not the employee that is being abused here. It's the company and their policies.

well done shopto.

i'll be keeping my pre-orders then.

I've never had a problem and been happy with ps3 and wiiu orders from them alongside many games but that worried me.

this gives me confidence in them.

Midou

Regardless, good on ShopTo for making it right and admitting to the mistake.

I can always appreciate that.

I don't agree, the mistake they admitted was that they don't know how twitter works, not that it was a mistake to shut down his account. It implies 'if he tweeted the fuck you to us, we were justified in cancelling his pre-order'.

Nibel

Uhm, either I can't read or he is not getting a free PS4 but he doesn't need to put down money for pre-ordering

iMax

Are you sure this is true? The way I'm seeing it, it all hinges on whether OP paid any money. If he did, is that not consideration? Not sure how courts have dealt with online retail/preorder situations but if OP has provided consideration, does it not (in effect) create a legally binding contract to keep the first contract (i.e. the PS4 preorder) legally binding? Again, just because ShopTo says when a contract exists, doesn't mean that the contract doesn't legally exist earlier

What you've said here basically sums up the reason why retailers don't take payment until dispatch, to avoid complications such as this. ShopTo don't charge for pre-orders until dispatch for the same reasons.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Is it though? Amazon don't pay taxes because they are spending all their money on infrastructure and distribution and expansion within the UK. Just because ShopTo will always remain a two-bit Delboy type of outfit, they shouldn't comment on other company's finances (don't get me wrong, I've used them in the past and I like their quick service but they have always come across as extremely unprofessional).
Fair enough. I've actually used both sites and never had a problem.

liquidtmd

Banned
You get the preorder status back - for free! Don't say we don't give you nuttin'!

yeah they probably mean PS4 itself for free but wording ain't great

Rutgurk

Neo Member
Well fuck, okay. Thanks Shopto.

Not sure how the hell you can confuse an interaction with someone else as a private conversation - seeing as they're in different columns, and one obviously had the other user's name in it. Seems like someone was either half asleep or just not paying attention.

But still... Guess i can't complain. Not sure i'll use them in future though

I wish i could tweet but apparently i've exceeded the limit for today. Silly twitter.
I agree with the first bit, but... The bolded part: That's your reaction to how they resolved this now? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom