• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
It's still one of the greatest mysteries to me that Nintendo does the whole thing with a mobile phone.

Why not integrate a proper chat/voice chat and matchmaking program on the Switch itself?

I find that extra step via mobile phone highly unnecessary..

The company that brought you friends code. They are the most backwards tech company for online standards

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Good thing I don't like playing online (let alone paying for playing online) anyway, otherwise I would be super pissed at Nintendo. First, for forcing me to buy a damn phone for my console, second, for making me use such a ridiculous device such as this headset for no good reason at all.

FZZ

Banned
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOTW still game of the generation tho

Jmon

hoserx

I laughed. I don't plan on using voice chat really in Splatoon, but geez. I can't see how they don't eventually patch in bluetooth headset support.........right...........??? haha.

foxbeldin

giphy.gif

jdstorm

Banned
Maybe I'm dumb because I never use voice chat, but why is this horrible?

You are plugged into 3 seperate devices via 3 seperate cables when it should just require 1 cable to go between your Switch and headphones. Its completely impractical on the couch or on the go.

deleted

Wait, wait, wait.

This is only for listening to the game and the voice chat at the same time.
Makes 'sense', since the game audio comes over through the Switch and the voice chat comes through your cellphone.

I'm sure there will be a wireless solution pretty fast. 3rd Party or Bluetooth..

I don't play online much on consoles - how do PS4/X1 handle this? headset and mike in the controller and the game audio through that too, or do you play with audio through your TV?

Edit: I don't really get, why they just don't slit the cable and splice the whole solution somehow with a lot smaller, more subtle 'thingy' in the middle of all that. This looks somewhat bulky.

Chao

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo

Dystify

Okay I personally thought it's not a bad idea as it offloads voice chat and other stuff to smartphones so it doesn't take resources from Switch. Reading this topic I realize there aren't many who think the same though. I do see why you may dislike it.

Isn't this just a Hori add-on solution supporting their headset? Kimishima (or whoever) said they wanted to "avoid bulky headsets," so I doubt this is the official solution rather than a Hori-specific headset solution. Then again we don't know what they are planning, so we'll see I guess.

Hmm there might be a reason why this headset in particular even appears in-game.

KrawlMan

Maybe I'm dumb because I never use voice chat, but why is this horrible?

Because you have to use your cell phone, the Switch and a specific headset/addon in order to both coordinate with teammates and hear any audible cues from the game.

I've been playing Player Unknown Battlegrouds a lot lately, and when we hear in game gunfire, everybody hears it and shuts up, using the audio to pinpoint enemy locations and call it out.

Nintendo is taking what should be a simple setup of headset + device and making it immensely cumbersome.

Zakalwe

Banned
Okay I personally thought it's not a bad idea as it offloads voice chat and other stuff to smartphones so it doesn't take resources from Switch. Reading this topic I realize there aren't many who think the same though. I do see why you may dislike it.

It's supposed to be portable.

Hilarious.

Four separate devices and three cables required when they could easily achieve the same thing with just the Switch, head set and one or ideally no cables.

Why don't they want chat going through the console?
Why didn't they put support Bluetooth for headsets when they use it for controllers?

I'm sure there are answers to this but I#d like to know what they are.

J@hranimo

Banned

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Please

Tell that to the families that own a PS4 or XB1 and play online games

It's still one of the greatest mysteries to me that Nintendo does the whole thing with a mobile phone.

Why not integrate a proper chat/voice chat and matchmaking program on the Switch itself?

Well, that would obviously cost CPU time!
Your phone is the "supplementary computing device" that was long rumored. :p

Yeah, the thread title should specify this is a Hori accessory, not a completely-Nintendo made one, like instead the thread title implies.

But it's Splatoon-branded, using the dev's made up language and in-game brands, so Nintendo has to be involved.

Shiggy

By the way, this solution will be absolutely great in 10 years when the app is no longer supported and doesn't work anymore.

Khrno

You've to attach the head phones to both the Switch and your smartphone in order to receive both voice and in-game sound. That's one device too many.

Oh that's ok, why would I even listen to the game sound on headphones?

jts

...hate me...
If this releases on July 21st does it mean the Nintendo chat app releases by then as well? Or is it just for people to use with their voice chat apps of choice?

"Wait until we get all the details" they said, "everyone has a phone anyway so it's more convenient" they said. I had a suspicion something like this was going to be the case, how else were you going to get voice chat into the phone and sound out of the console?

Let this be a lesson for everyone that gives Nintendo the benefit of the doubt regarding online features: don't.

duckroll

Yeah, the thread title should specify this is a Hori accessory, not a completely-Nintendo made one, like instead the thread title implies.

Still, I'm expecting several "Don't cross the wires" jokes, don't disappoint me everyone!

I mean, Nintendo is not going to release a headset, so obviously there has to be a third party solution? Unless you think Nintendo gives a shit about providing a first party headset solution.

Oh that's ok, why would I even listen to the game sound on headphones?

What? Are you someone who has never used a headset for voicechat gaming in your life?

LOL.

boiled goose

good with gravy

I the age of ubiquitous smartphones and internet this concern is pretty outdated.

They are still allowing chat through their app.

They implementat robust parental controls. Chat friends only, etc.

This is simply stupid. There's no valid defense.

Airan

This is all Apple's fault. Now I have to plan to fully charge my iPhone 7 before I go online with my Nintendo Switch, else how am I going to flame my teammates constantly?! Fuck you Tim Cook!

On a more serious note, this is a sad solution.

tkscz

DAMN YOU NINTENDO!
*Heads phones are a 3rd party peripheral by HORI and not Nintendo*
WHAT WERE YOU THINKING NINTENDO!?

What an absolute cluster fuck. I hope nobody is going to defend Nintendo on this.

Yes, I'm going to defend Nintendo on something they didn't make.

Allow me to tell you about the beautiful world of parental controls.

Anx

Neo Member
Wasn't the Switch supposed to take something from each Nintendo's past consoles?

It's clear what it takes from the NES: the messy shitty accessories.

jts

...hate me...
By the way, this solution will be absolutely great in 10 years when the app is no longer supported and doesn't work anymore.
It's just an audio mixer. It will work with any app.

In 10 years the servers would be dead anyway.

Guardians

Banned

Agreed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom