• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So What Happened to the Golden Age of Black Sitcoms?

wvnative

In the video it's mentioned that some of these 90s black sitcoms are offered on streaming services. Do any of you know which ones are? I only have Netflix and they got rid of A Different World last year.

Also, this is related AllDef Digital released a video about their favorite 90s black sitcoms a little while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIZ5jRHA04&t=91s

Most of these 90s sitcoms in general seem to be missing from streaming services cept for friends, frasier and seinfield. Dunno, but i'm really wishing Martin was on one of em, wanna check it out.

Snoopycat

Banned
When I was growing up the only black people I ever saw on TV were Huggy Bear, Lenny Henry and Frank Bruno. That was it until Desmonds came along.

tmdorsey

Both The Cosby Show and A Different World are on Amazon if you are a prime member.

My favorite black sitcoms and I've watched them all:

Martin (seasons 2-4 are classic television)
Everybody Hates Chris
The Bernie Mack Show
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Living Single
The Cosby Show (recently re-watched this)
A Different World (The early seasons)
Sanford and Son
The Jeffersons

Honorable mention goes to:
The Steve Harvey Show
The Jamie Foxx Show
What's Happening
Girlfriends

EDIT: For got My Wife and Kids in my favorites list

Elfstar

I really, really loved My Wife and Kids, too bad it became just a dumb catch-phrase spouting mess around about...Season 3?

bjork

ctrl+f 227

no matches

come on fellas, the 227-Amen hour was like the 1-2 punch of the weekend for awhile there.

I dated a woman who legit tried to fight me for fawning over Tracee Ellis Ross too much.

Sounds like she needed more rainbows in her life...

It really is unfortunate that there aren't many black sitcoms on TV anymore (or dramas, for that matter). At least the black sitcoms and dramas out now are pretty successful (they would have to be, they'd be cancelled in a red-hot second if they weren't. R.I.P. The Carmichael Show). I just hope there are more 'black' shows released, as well as other 'demographical' (not sure how to term it) shows like Asian-American and Latino.

You know which show I'm liking currently? Marlon on NBC. It's quite funny, almost like a mix between The Wayans Bros. and My Wife and Kids (in a good way, before anyone gets snippy).

Top Bottom