• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So when did you first hear about E3

I bought ONM in July 2005 as an 8 year old interested in Nintendo's new console (the Wii).

Had never heard of it but have watched it every year since.

Gamegeneral

I think GamePro in the early aughts is where I learned about it. 2003 or so. Failing that, it was definitely G4 around the same timeframe.

It was one of G4 TV’s E3 specials, 2005 I think. I would always watch that channel, so when E3 came around, I naturally tuned in to see what exactly it was that they had been promoting the week leading up to the event. Man, I really miss G4 - they had some really creative folks over there, especially those that worked on AOTS. At least Reviews on the Run is still kicking solo.

Metalmarc

Mid 90's , ummm 1995-6 ish

Various videogame magazines used to have articles in the summertime issues, photos from the floor & news & rumours of all the cool stuff was coming out, a few of them later on gave vhs tapes with trailers on, im sure one had crash 2 or 3 on the cover

SexyFish

Banned
I remember being in elementary school in the early 2000s and hearing about it on TechTV.

Adam Sessler has a place in my childhood and I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that.

PikkonX

In the 90s as a kid via EGM and all the other popular magazines of the time. Always been my dream to go. Hopefully in the next few years even though I heard it's chaos now.

Around 1996 or 1997, when the Club Nintendo magazine covered the event in special releases here in my country (of course, everything was Nintendo-related). I only new it was a big event that was held in the United States where new games were announced for Nintendo (I was a kid back then...).

It was only around 2009 that I started watching the event live on streamings.

blakep267

Maybe 2002. I was at the beach and the TV channels at the hotel just happened to have G4. So I watched it. Then G4 spread to where I lived and I went on from there

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
early 90s both gamepro and egm what ever one had coverage first i had a subscription to both of them since 89-98 when i started getting everything from the net

Riska

Neo Member
MGS2's announcement is the first clear E3 memory I can recall but I probably first heard about it some time in the late 90s from one of the many gaming magazines I'd read at the time.

Yeah this is similar to my recollection, I'm pretty sure I was 'aware' of E3 generally in the late 90's but it wasn't until the MGS2 announcements that I got the significance of it. I think I first started watching it the year the Playstation 3 was announced -- have done ever since.

Felensis

Banned
1995 when the first E3 took place. My favorite videogame magazines at the time were all reporting about the event and all subsequent ones.

_SAKY_

In the 90s as a kid via EGM and all the other popular magazines of the time. Always been my dream to go. Hopefully in the next few years even though I heard it's chaos now.

It was pretty bad this year, hopefully vendors can adjust their plans to accommodate the public. To some extent they were not prepared.

GamerJM

Banned
2001 in Nintendo Power. I'm 23, so I was like 7 back then.

My mind was blown in 06 when I went online and found out how much coverage the thing got online though. Growing up none of my friends used the internet for gaming so it was always magical waiting for those magazines to come in the mail towards the beginning of July (you had no idea what day it would come in too) when you'd see a bunch of gaming announcements you'd never be able to predict. In 05 I even bought a European magazine (somehow) because they had the most extensive coverage of the event.

from buying this magazine back in 1997

EGM2-Cloud-Strife-cover.png

Logash

This G4 E3 2005 commercial got me in and I have watched it live ever since. This is the first time I have really thought about it but that means I have been watching it live for 11 years...

Green Yoshi

I read some official Club Nintendo magazines in 1997 and 1998 but I think I first read about E3 in a multiplatform magazine in 1999.

Neoxon

Around the mid 2000's via Electronic Gaming Monthly. I was definitely following E3 by the time the DS was revealed.

Springy

Probably when it was first a thing, but I distinctly remember watching an E3 1997 VHS tape from Play UK magazine and being very enthused about the sketchy off-screen Resident Evil 2 footage on it.

Sometime around 2007 or 2008, though the method is a bit weird in that it was the explanation to a gag or two in the old 'Decline of Video Gaming' flash series. One of the older kids at the asperger's resource centre I attended played flash videos before school started.

EhoaVash

I think it was 2008 went on youtube and saw the miyamoto wii music fail video and it made me more and more curious which led to me watching the Twilight princess e3 reveal video and i was like oh shit this is pretty cool

then i remember going on ign and reading about e3 coming soon, first e3 i watched live i wanna say E3 2009. Came home from middle school, turned on computer and saw the reveal of Metroid Other M. from that year E3 kinda became like christmas lol.

* my family has never celerbrated christmas *

gweemz

Maybe like 2001 or 2002. Earliest e3 I can remember watching was 2004. Man what a great e3 Nintendo had that year.

jryeje29

I’d say 2005 or 2006 is when I first heard of and watched E3, I had been watching G4 for those cheat code shows and a few others and then when I found out there was this big convention for games my mind was blown. Man just writing this post brings back memories of being so excited to see those shows and get my game informer magazine and mark which games I wanted in the calendar to show my parents even though they never got me anything until Christmas and it was usually only one maybe 2 games. I miss being a kid.

First heard about it around 1999-2000 when I was on the IGN forums. Seeing Rogue Leader around that time before fall 2001 got me on board with the GameCube. Great launch imo. Back then it was right before we got a cable connection so I never actually watched the conference, but got the low quality game clips from IGN.

I also remember that famous Spaceworld Zelda clip with Link fighting Ganon.

jsnepo

1999 through Metal Gear Solid VR Missions. There are trailers of Metal Gear Solid on the disc. One of the trailers was from the E3 1997 in Atlanta.

Nbz

2004 when the DS was revealed and I read about it in NOM (Nintendo Official Magazine UK)

They had a full spread on the system and pictures of Reggie on the stage. After that I started watching video stuff from the show and I think the first conference I watched was Nintendo's 2006

Top Bottom