• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... where is the Splatoon 2 e-sports presence that the marketing promised?

I dunno how serious Nintendo are about their competitive scenes really. At their Nintendo World Championships, 75% of what's there is basically their recent releases they are trying to sell. They did have Smash though... as an 8 player items on affair which is not what the community plays at all.

Since Splatoon is one of their better sellers recently (I think it's their best selling in Japan at present). They should probably push it more.

patchday

Pokken Tournament was at CEO 2017 and I know there is a Pokken tour, etc

Splatoon 2 I never hear anything about it.

I think ARMS along with Pokken get more attention

phanphare

Banned
The weird ass YouTube shit will stifle the potential for Splatoon 2 to become a mainstay in the world of streaming, thus by default limiting the potential for wider reach as an esports title, which is what this thread is asking about.

Streaming is the life blood of esports. If Nintendo don't get their act together on that front then Splatoon 2 will never be a huge esports title. Maybe Nintendo don't want that though, and that's fine, but I'm just saying that this is just one of the reasons why it can't happen if Nintendo doesn't change their ways.

yeah you didn't really answer my question you just posted a bunch of stuff that amounts to essentially nothing in regards to splatoon

how does their weird ass youtube shit affect splatoon's competitive scene? it hasn't as of yet. tournaments are streamed live on twitch and the archive footage is there as well and then certain people/channels will upload that footage to youtube channels. haven't seen any issues yet so I'm really just curious what you're even talking about.

edit: and just to go more in detail in case you read this there are basically two scenarios being discussed in this thread. one is the community itself just building at the grassroots level and supporting itself and the other is nintendo actually funding frequent to semi-frequent events. for the first scenario why would their weird youtube shit be an issue? the community generally gathers online wherever it gathers, discord, twitter, etc. tournaments are planned, either locally or online, and then promoted within the community, then they happen and are live streamed on twitch, with some individual players streaming their feed and sometimes spectator mode is utilized, then they're finished and the stream is archived on twitch and sometimes uploaded to youtube. but their youtube shit doesn't really do that much in regards to splatoon and tournament footage being uploaded. they don't take down the tournament footage. if anything they'd claim it and slap an ad on it.

and the second scenario should be self explanatory but why would nintendo hamper something that they are actively trying to grow, though I think the second scenario doesn't seem all that likely. feels like the official support will be mostly for japan and on the whole they'll treat the splatoon community like the smash community and just let it do its thing and maybe sponsor a big event or have them for an invitational for E3 or something.

but in either scenario nintendo's youtube shit isn't even really in the discussion of things limiting splatoon's potential as an esport

SPLATOON 2 - OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP OF FRANCE - ANNOUNCEMENT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsYzZwm5l-w

Try to qualify for the official French Splatoon 2 tournament at the PGW (PARIS GAMES WEEK) and leave with super lots, and a place for the official European Splatoon 2 tournament!

This qualifying tournament takes place on 20, 22, 25 October and 3 November.

Friday 20/10: 20h45: Check-in / 21h: Beginning of the Qualifier 1.
Sunday 22/10: 15h45: Check-in / 16h: Start of the Qualifier 2.
Wednesday 25/10: 13h45: Check-in / 2pm: Beginning of the Qualifier 3.
Friday 03/11: 14h30: Start of the Qualifier 4 at the PGW.
Saturday 04/11: 14h30: Beginning of the Quarter Final.
Sunday 05/11: 16h: Beginning of the Finals.

https://www.toornament.com/tournaments/825212613223596032/information

Commented and presented by ken Bogard, the most famous French commentator of esports tournaments and live on the biggest European video games website, jeuxvideo.com.

Splatoon 2 - The Splatoon 2 UK Championship Final! (Nintendo Switch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw58BZMFnB4

Top Bottom