• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soccer: not even once

it's a shame what happened but it comes down to poor safety standards and organisation. football (soccer) is the biggest sport in the world and plenty of big matches go ahead without fault.

i'd hate to be in such a situation and feel bad for those who were. hopefully they can learn from this and improve safety. there have been other tragic stadium disasters which they really should've looked at when building a stadium and how to best operate them. notably hillsborough and ibrox.

Last edited:
This shit reminds me of that massive club fire with Great White were a hundred folks died at the fire exits. Just can't imagine how quickly it can go from "hell yeah this is AWESOME!" to getting trampled, burned, or otherwise asphyxiated.
I was at a concert one time many years ago where some girl passed out due to the crowd press. I grabbed a big guy I had been having fun with in the mosh pitt a few minutes ago, motioned to her, and he picked her up while I plowed our way through the crowd to drop her off with security. Bad shit could happen at early 2000 rock/metal/punk shows if you didn't keep your wits about you.

Also remember keeping the mosh pitt off a guy in a wheelchair at a festival so he could enjoy a nice view, and letting some random guys kid sit on my shoulders so he could see a Manson show. You gotta help people out.

TheGrat1

Warning… Old man opinion:

Professional team sports are way for governments/ the rich to control and milk money from everyone else .. it’s been used for thousands of years and you idiots just eat it up as fast as you can.
You could say this about any form of entertainment, even books and...*gasp*...video games (except for the "thousands of years" part).

Maybe stick to yelling at clouds, like old men should. :messenger_tongue:

TheGrat1

Only America calls it soccer. Rest of the world calls it football. That's why its the football world Cup, and not the soccer world cup
It is amazing to me how often this exact sentiment is repeated despite the fact that it is not all true.
52b84a70eab8ea13673fafb8

Where do you people think this game was made?:
51YYZH2F93L._AC_SY1000_.jpg
🤦‍♂️
I didnt know Indonesia is so anti-booze, but my comment was holistic relating to any soccer rioting crowds around the world. By far the craziest fans.

IMO, one thing that adds to the fire is soccer is such a slow paced boring sport, there's nothing to watch on the field most of the time as players are just slowly trotting and passing back and forth, including even kicking the ball back to their own goalkeeper. So when things are slow paced, the crowd might as well amp up, chant and kill time time. Most games probably end 1-1 or 2-1, so there's not much scoring to even cheer for.

In other pro sports, you got to watch the action more closely (especially hockey and basketball) because players zip up and down the court/ice so fast a basket or goal scored can happen in a flash. In football or baseball, a player can grab a hail mary pass or crack a homerun at any time. You arent going to get 1000s of fans more interested in chanting and lighting bonfires than actually sitting there and watching the game.

In soccer, no goals are being scored unless it's a corner kick, penalty shot, or a player has the ball and does a cross into a mob of players and their teammate heads it in or kicks it in from close. Most of the time, the players are just tapping the ball back and forth waiting for an opening.

Another reason is it's probably the only sport (that I know of) where fans of each team sit in their own section. Every other pro sport is mixed fans. So what happens is when you got full sections of the same fan, everyone gets loud and brave to mouth off and yell at each other even if sections spill over. You cant really do that in other sports because even though most fans are the home crowd, you still got enough visiting fans spread out. It's a lot tougher to pester and chant at the other fans when the opposing fan can be sitting right next to you. So people are more respectful and cut down on antagonizing opposing fans because you never know if there's opposing fans around you who might help out the other guy. And it happens. That's why when you see some NFL fights in the stands, the video shows one guy always getting blindsided from behind. The fans of each team are spread out and you never know who is really on your side or not if it gets into yelling matches.
I was going to respond to your earlier post but you figured it out. Yes, Indonesia is majority Muslim and alcohol consumption is banned by custom but not law. They have one of the lowest consumption rates in the world (0.6 liters per capita per year).
You are spot on on the bored spectators. If you waved huge banners or set off smoke while the game is going on in an American football or basketball game here (assuming security did not get to you first) people behind you would knock some sense into you for obstructing their view. They would not put up with that because they actually expect to see something significant happen in the next 10 seconds. We are also (usually) too focused on reacting the the previous play to bother chanting. This is a sporting event we came to be entertained by, not choir practice.

Soccer is so monotonous and slow you have to find something to entertain yourself with because in the back of your mind you figure the odds are nothing of importance will happen in the next 10 minutes.
It's kind of bizarre for them to claim football is boring while espousing how great baseball is.
As an American, baseball is boring as hell too. The game is extremely monotonous even with every pitch being significant. It is not at all uncommon to see the tv announcers talking about anything but the game even while it is being played, especially something going on in the crowd. Case in point:

Even after the game restarts the announcers and production crew know the crowd is more interesting! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I would honestly rather watch soccer, primarily because it will end sooner. Still, even MLB is adding a pitch clock next year to try and speed the game up so they are not completely hopeless.
Football is in almost constant motion.
"Constant motion" becomes boring when it is the same motions combined with little scoring threat. Ice hockey is constant motion as well but it is more exciting than soccer ever could be because it far faster paced with more legitimate scoring opportunities. Last I checked the average EPL game has 26 shots on goal. The average NHL game has 60. An average NHL game is also 30 minutes shorter. The frequency of action is far higher. Hockey is low scoring but the ability to keep the goal under threat, combined with high speed and full contact elements plus penalties completely changing the complexion of a game for at least 2 straight minutes makes it fun to watch.

Tams

It is amazing to me how often this exact sentiment is repeated despite the fact that it is not all true.
52b84a70eab8ea13673fafb8

🤦‍♂️

I was going to respond to your earlier post but you figured it out. Yes, Indonesia is majority Muslim and alcohol consumption is banned by custom but not law. They have one of the lowest consumption rates in the world (0.6 liters per capita per year).
You are spot on on the bored spectators. If you waved huge banners or set off smoke while the game is going on in an American football or basketball game here (assuming security did not get to you first) people behind you would knock some sense into you for obstructing their view. They would not put up with that because they actually expect to see something significant happen in the next 10 seconds. We are also (usually) too focused on reacting the the previous play to bother chanting. This is a sporting event we came to be entertained by, not choir practice.

Soccer is so monotonous and slow you have to find something to entertain yourself with because in the back of your mind you figure the odds are nothing of importance will happen in the next 10 minutes.

As an American, baseball is boring as hell too. The game is extremely monotonous even with every pitch being significant. It is not at all uncommon to see the tv announcers talking about anything but the game even while it is being played, especially something going on in the crowd. Case in point:

Even after the game restarts the announcers and production crew know the crowd is more interesting! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I would honestly rather watch soccer, primarily because it will end sooner. Still, even MLB is adding a pitch clock next year to try and speed the game up so they are not completely hopeless.

"Constant motion" becomes boring when it is the same motions combined with little scoring threat. Ice hockey is constant motion as well but it is more exciting than soccer ever could be because it far faster paced with more legitimate scoring opportunities. Last I checked the average EPL game has 26 shots on goal. The average NHL game has 60. An average NHL game is also 30 minutes shorter. The frequency of action is far higher. Hockey is low scoring but the ability to keep the goal under threat, combined with high speed and full contact elements plus penalties completely changing the complexion of a game for at least 2 straight minutes makes it fun to watch.

Why the fuck would you watch a sport to watch the crowd.

You Americans are just strange. And you in particular seem to be affronted by all this.

Kenpachii

Football is great fun, like world championships because u come together and u basically socialize and talk with eachother while the match happens while still having something going on, on the background.

The problem is that people are sitting straight watching something for hour plus they have no interest in and then think the sport is shit. Mindflash football isn't shit, its basically a massive religion everywhere in the world people are obsessed with it for reasons. It's modern warfare. Country vs Country, city vs city.

Now as i don't care to watch sports for general i rather do them, i will only watch them in a social gathering with friends and family, i will never watch it on myself and frankly i will be there to socialize first.

The girls video, i believe it was taken because people found it disrespectful to not pay attention towards the sport while people are playing. Frankly in my view, baseball or whatever its called, is boring as shit. Who expects a bunch of teenagers and females at that, that are obsessed by social media + tiktok to spend a whole hour if not longer watching some boring as sport. Even i would fall asleep after the first 5 minutes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Baseball is boring. To me, baseball is similar to soccer. A game where you're eyes arent glued to the action. It's more of a passive sport. Hockey, basketball and American style football, people watch the game much differently than baseball and soccer. They actually watch the game basically at all times. On the other hand, there is no way a soccer or baseball spectator is sitting there staring at the TV or field every second.

Two sports I rarely watch, but have on TV - rugby and Aussie rules football. Constant action.

Lasha

52b84a70eab8ea13673fafb8

🤦‍♂️

Further, Brits (the only ones who seem to care about how others call the sport) are the ones responsible for Soccer even being a term in the first place. Why the British thought "soccer" was a logical abbreviation of association is beyond me.

I've not been to Indonesian matches but I regularly go to the Malaysian league. I'm always astounded by how insane the matches get without a drop of alcohol. I never want to see what happens if they ever ditch Islam and oil up.

Bragr

Banned
Baseball is boring. To me, baseball is similar to soccer. A game where you're eyes arent glued to the action. It's more of a passive sport. Hockey, basketball and American style football, people watch the game much differently than baseball and soccer. They actually watch the game basically at all times. On the other hand, there is no way a soccer or baseball spectator is sitting there staring at the TV or field every second.

Two sports I rarely watch, but have on TV - rugby and Aussie rules football. Constant action.
What? the NFL is 10% play time and 90% commercial breaks and huddles. Incredibly slow.

Lunarorbit

The most laughably clueless and bad take I’ve ever read :messenger_tears_of_joy:
How so? Soccer scoring only happens in the instances they mentioned. Fans do group up in entire sections or sides of a stadium. Besides baseball, soccer is pretty boring, especially for Americans.

Durien

IMO, one thing that adds to the fire is soccer is such a slow paced boring sport,
This is why I can not get into sports like soccer and baseball but love hockey. Soccer and baseball are really fun to play but really boring to watch (IMHO)

When they pretend to get tripped or hit or fall down and thrash about "in agony" to see no one cares so they get back up and start playing again...it's both comical and sad...

Porcile

I feel more in danger at a county cricket match than I do a football match. Cricket balls don't fuck about.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
How so? Soccer scoring only happens in the instances they mentioned. Fans do group up in entire sections or sides of a stadium. Besides baseball, soccer is pretty boring, especially for Americans.
And how many riots etc have happened at soccer games in America?

Top Bottom