• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sodium Penthathol, does it really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If I understand this correctly, Sodium Penthathol is also known as "truth serum". Now I'm wondering, is there any truth (yes, pun) to this? Do people really tell the truth after recieving a shot of Sodium Penthathol, or does it only happen in the movies? And if it really works, why isn't the police using it during interrogations?

yoshifumi

Banned
i don't think it necessarily makes you tell the truth, it just lowers your inhibitions which makes you more likely to tell the truth.

Ferrio

Banned
Ripped from some site

"A far milder form of psychological abuse involves exposing prisoners (intravenously or orally) to sodium pentathol—commonly known as "truth serum." Sodium pentathol is an ultra-short-acting barbiturate that depresses the central nervous system, slows heart rate, and lowers blood pressure. In the relaxed state produced by the drug, subjects are more susceptible to suggestion and are therefore easier to interrogate. The drug does not actually guarantee that prisoners will tell the truth, however. Often, it makes subjects "gabby" without revealing any important information. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom