• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE Live 2013 - EverQuest Next Thread: Return of the Sandbox [free2play]

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
SOE should have demonstrated the tools months ago instead of talking them up for months.

spirity

I said goddamn. Gonna make me the disco room from Seb. Hell, would it be feasible to recreate Seb entirely? I know every inch of that place. I guess the only thing to stop you there is the allotted plot or claim you're given.

I'm really excited for Landmark, that genuinely looks like its going to be good.

Anno

Seems like that would be possible given a large enough tract of land and enough z-depth straight down. If it's even remotely possible I'm positive someone will be working on it from day 1. Seb will be the EQNL version of "everyone just builds Mario 1-1".

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing KC recreated. And Chardok for that matter. Goddamn Kunark was amazing...

spirity

Seems like that would be possible given a large enough tract of land and enough z-depth straight down. If it's even remotely possible I'm positive someone will be working on it from day 1. Seb will be the EQNL version of "everyone just builds Mario 1-1".

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing KC recreated. And Chardok for that matter. Goddamn Kunark was amazing...

A lot of people cite Velious the best, but I'm with you. Kunark.

firiona.jpg

KCLevving.jpg

FrontierStatues.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still confused as hell about what their vision for EverQuest Next Landmark and EverQuest Next are. Originally, I thought that they would be using Landmark to have users generate content that they would then use in EverQuest Next proper, but now it sounds like they are two completely separate games? Landmark is going to allow people to create and play in their own worlds while EverQuest Next is going to be developed by SoE and be more static? Is all of the Minecraft stuff going to be present in EverQuest Next or just in Landmark?

Do they even know what EverQuest Next is going to be yet?

I'm still confused as hell about what their vision for EverQuest Next Landmark and EverQuest Next are. Originally, I thought that they would be using Landmark to have users generate content that they would then use in EverQuest Next proper, but now it sounds like they are two completely separate games? Landmark is going to allow people to create and play in their own worlds while EverQuest Next is going to be developed by SoE and be more static? Is all of the Minecraft stuff going to be present in EverQuest Next or just in Landmark?

Do they even know what EverQuest Next is going to be yet?

Everquest Landmark is more of a creation and adventure game. You can create anything in Landmark that you want. Everquest Next is a full fledged MMO. They share exploration and creation but EQN will have more features and a storyline. EQN will only allow creation of objects that fit within the EQ atmosphere.

Things you create in Landmark will be able to be transferred over to EQN but only if they fit within EQN's atmosphere.

Anno

I think Dave tried to sum it up by saying that EQN will be the MMO built by SOE with the tools eventually available to people in EQNL. I'm not sure if this was the original vision or if they just realized after their announcement that people might secretly be anticipating EQLN more than EQN. Either way they need to sort out their messaging of these things.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I get it? I've also heard there's going to be NPCs and combat in Landmark, which confuses me even further.

I guess we really don't know anything about EQN then, do we? Seems like everything revealed thus far applies to EQNL?

Iadien

I loved me some Kunark, but I also loved the hell out of velious, crystal caverns, velk's lab, kael, ToV, Sleeper, etc. The first two EQ expansions are both amazing, that's why many people feel it was downhill from there.

I'll be trying to recreate crystal caverns or velk's lab, I haven't decided yet.

Anno

I think I get it? I've also heard there's going to be NPCs and combat in Landmark, which confuses me even further.

I guess we really don't know anything about EQN then, do we? Seems like everything revealed thus far applies to EQNL?

Yeah, everything so far aside from the announcement is aimed at Landmark. Basically as systems are developed for EQN they will be dropped into EQNL for us to play around with and make things (this includes combat, NPC scripting etc.) Supposedly all these things will be in EQNL "months" before EQN is even available. They've referred to it as "make your own MMO" at that point.

Landmark will have combat and NPC's as well. Afaik though no SoE made questing. I also don't believe it will have the dynamic questing stuff that SoE has said will be in EQN.

So yeah.. nearest I can tell Landmark will play more like an open world adventure game as opposed to a full fledged MMO.

Iadien

The main differences that we know of between Landmark and EQN, is that Landmark will probably only have humans at launch (more races are a possibility, but not a given), limited mobs (wildlife type creatures is what I have read for launch, that could change or more mobs could be added down the road, I'm guessing no raid mobs though), basic combat, no storyline, no rallying calls or questing, and only the adventurer class.

Anno

Also some new classes revealed. Some expected, at least one not. As someone who put 300 days into a Beast Lord I'm happy they'll be in here somewhere, though wielding a shield a flail sounds a little weird, but really cool.

Iadien

Yeah, didn't think it was worth posting, since they're all expected classes, and the tempest was announced at the reveal in August. If they would have shown them in action, then yeah. =p

Top Bottom