• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE looked at buying Copernicus (38 Studios, Kingdoms of Amalur), Tweets on RI govt

Matriox

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-11-soe-looked-multiple-times-at-buying-project-copernicus

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...for_38_Studios_downfall_says_SOEs_Smedley.php

Sony Online Entertainment looked into purchasing Project Copernicus (MMO based on the world of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning) several times before declining due to costs.

EverQuest maker Sony Online Entertainment looked more than once at buying Project Copernicus, the MMO follow-up to Kingdoms of Amalur that sunk along with the 38 Studios ship. SOE president John Smedley said on Twitter (via VG247) that Copernicus had been "gorgeous", its "quality undeniable" and he "really wanted to play that game".

"It was just too expensive is all."

"At various times we looked at it," he revealed. "Always impressed. But the economics were too tough to make work for us. This is a business where risks are large. We had enough balls in the air. More risk was too much for us.

John Smedley of SOE also posts his opinions on the matter regarding RI government making the poor decision in funding the project in the first place with government money.

In the end, says Smedley, Rhode Island should never have funded the game -- but Chafee's comments did far more harm than good, and actually ended up making the situation worse for both 38 Studios and Rhode Island.

"That 38 Studios deal just never should have been," he tweeted. "Public funds shouldn't be backing risky things like online games. If the fact that no other VCs were investing wasn't enough of a clue, then you damn well shouldn't be surprised by failure. Anyone with a brain could have told them no one would buy it. They contacted us and I told them so."

-----------

"Curt put every dime he had into it," he added. "That's the part that people are missing. He put his own money where his mouth was, but that's ultimately what undid it. Unqualified people at that Rhode Island economic council should have seen the fact that no one else would get in as a sign and they failed. That's not Curt's fault."

"Curt's only crime was believing in his own ability to will things to be better. He busted ass trying to get funding... Curt is an honest guy with good intentions."

As someone who loved Kingdoms of Amalur, it really sucks to see what seems like the end of the franchise go this way, and I might not have gotten to play KoA at all had RI not funded it. Its just disappointing how the whole situation went down.

Foaloal

I wish they would have bought it, I would have really liked to see what else this team could have made with the would-be Amalur franchise.

At the very least it would be nice to see a little clip of what they had done and what they were planning.

NateDrake

And now I'm stuck with the tab of this disaster. Thanks RI government! Chafee wasn't our governor when this deal was put in place. He hated the deal long before it happened, but he ran his mouth far too much once 38 started to sink.

Matriox

And now I'm stuck with the tab of this disaster. Thanks RI government! Chafee wasn't our governor when this deal was put in place. He hated the deal long before it happened, but he ran his mouth far too much once 38 started to sink.

Thats the worst part, you and RI are now the ones to suffer from this and Chafee definately didn't have "help the situation" on the mind..

As someone who loved Kingdoms of Amalur, it really sucks to see what seems like the end of the franchiee go this way, and I might not have gotten to play KoA at all had RI not funded it.
Actually, KoA: Reckoning probably absorbed very little of that RI money. To my understanding it was a nearly complete game that 38 Studios bought and added their own lore/names to, so there'd be an Amalur game out in public earning money and attention while they continued to develop Project Copernicus in-house.

Matriox

Actually, KoA: Reckoning probably absorbed very little of that RI money. To my understanding it was a nearly complete game that 38 Studios bought and added their own lore/names to, so there'd be an Amalur game out in public earning money and attention while they continued to develop Project Copernicus in-house.

That would make sense, considering Shilling had a lot of his own money invested into the company. I am just unaware on what was put where before of taking RI money.

Yaoibot

I thought these properties were auctioned off already? Who actually ended up buying them? Or are they just in IP/ legal limbo forever? I quite enjoyed Amalur. It was a world between Darksiders and WoW. Had promise. R.A.S. really phoned it in on the writing though, which was fifty shades of terrible.

Jabba

Banned

Maybe we can have Buddy step in and fix it. ;)

GoaThief

That's a shame, quite enjoyed Reckoning.

Is there any chance of another attempted sale of the IP and assets at a later date, this time with a reduced price?

I thought these properties were auctioned off already? Who actually ended up buying them? Or are they just in IP/ legal limbo forever? I quite enjoyed Amalur. It was a world between Darksiders and WoW. Had promise. R.A.S. really phoned it in on the writing though, which was fifty shades of terrible.

No one bought them. I presume the people handling it on Rhode Island's behalf placed too high a reserve on the minimum accepted bid. Shame really, as clearly Schilling and the team had a lot of passion.

Yaoibot

No one bought them. I presume the people handling it on Rhode Island's behalf placed too high a reserve on the minimum accepted bid. Shame really, as clearly Schilling and the team had a lot of passion.

Well that's silly. What a waste. I wonder if there is an expiry date on an unclaimed IP like this. Maybe my grandchildren will play the Amalur reboot on 4D holocubes in 2055.

Matriox

Well that's silly. What a waste. I wonder if there is an expiry date on an unclaimed IP like this. Maybe my grandchildren will play the Amalur reboot on 4D holocubes in 2055.

A big waste, hopefully something becomes of that world in one way or another. Preferably not in the trash can.

Top Bottom