• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA - sales, reception, etc. after ten days

WGMBY

I really really want to buy this game, but I always chicken out with these no weapons, stealth based horror games. I still have the original Amnesia and Alien Isolation sitting on my HDD, waiting to be played.

I'm glad they're getting good sales though, Frictional deserves it. They've been working on this one for a while now.

Good to hear, planning on picking this up. This game seems like it'll continue to do well, there are a lot of other "big" games out right now and I think a lot of people will check Soma out when they've had their fill of MGSV, Destiny, etc.

Jito

Banned
Fantastic game and a well deserved success for Frictional. Definetly in my top games of this year.

Granjinha

I'm pretty sure it will eventually get to 300k. It didn't even get let's play from big youtubers like Markiplier and PewDiePie (which really helped Amnesia)

The game's amazing. Hope it does really well for them.

"It's different from Amnesia!"

Game is literally Amnesia.

Still fun though!

It isn't.

fastmower

I love how communicative they are.

The game is fantastic. I haven't experienced a video game story told like this since Portal 2. Buy it if you think a thinking mans scifi-horror game seems up your alley.

The $30 price point has held me back from buying this at launch, especially due to the number of $60 games I want that are coming out soon.

If it hits a discount/sale anytime soon, I won't be able to not bite.

Chabbles

Just finished this up last night, a gem of a game. Cant wait to see what these guys have in store for us next time.

Saty

All of those released on Sony platforms later (and didn't get nearly as much marketing from Sony). Might be a contractual obligation for games releasing day and date, as Sony was a pretty big part of their marketing arm.

Dunno. Broken Age (the complete package) released at the same time for PC/PS4/Vita.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I love how open they are with communicating with their customers. I'm happy to have supported them with a ps4 copy purchase. I haven't played it yet though, was waiting til closer to halloween. Though if it isn't as scary as I assumed maybe I'll dive into it now, instead.

really nice detailed post, even if it aint our business i like their way. they really should consider a physical release of all their games including this one for consoles though i guess they missed the opportunity this halloween but doable next year imo.

system11

i've played since the patch and it seems worse now then ever. i was getting chased and it was a slideshow. and some areas outside see single digit framerates. i'm still enjoying the game a lot, and it's still intense but it's a bit of an immersion killer when everything turns into a slideshow.

The thing I couldn't understand is some outside areas which had loads of detail seemed perfectly ok, while some others did what you describe. Almost like some areas have infinite draw distance.

Some horror veterans he spoke to toted this as the "scariest game they have ever played."

I would love to speak to some of these people. I was just hoping at one point it would happen and it never did. A cool game though and enjoyed the story behind it all.

I'm glad it's a success for them so far. I will buy the game at some point, but I have a lot to play right now and at £24 it's a little more than I am willing to pay for a digital game (£20 is my limit).

Really great when indie devs share this kind of information though. It's so interesting but we rarely see this level of breakdown.

Shizuka

The money that we've got from this will pretty much pay our company expenses for another 2 years.

However, this doesn't mean that we've come close to recouping all our costs. We need to sell almost 3 times that amount to do that.

These two quotes together don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

chekhonte

both amnesia games made enough money to fund Soma, they don't need to recoup all the cost to keep the studio going for the next 2 years since they didn't go into debt to make.

Shredderi

Some horror veterans he spoke to toted this as the "scariest game they have ever played."

I would love to speak to some of these people. I was just hoping at one point it would happen and it never did. A cool game though and enjoyed the story behind it all.

Well for me it was one of the scariest games I've ever played. It was super effective on me. The whole psychological aspect of it really got to me in a way most of these kinds of horror games don't.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This is on my list of games to play after the winter sales. Really hope it does well since games like these deserves it.

chekhonte

Why is this a thing?

Steam doesn't allow anybody to share sales for reasons I don't understand either but that's the reason they (or anybody else) can't share sales figures.

People figure it out though. Often times companies will give a total as well as xbox and playstation sales and the remainder will be the PC sales.

Arafo

Can someone source the breakdown for Broken Age, I haven't seen it.
Searched but found nothing.

indie-game-results-774x600.jpg

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/28/c...prising-facts-about-the-state-of-indie-games/

Man

I had no idea what SOMA was until about a month from release.
I then learned it was a horror game and coming from the Amnesia guys.
I then saw all the great reviews.

I bought it at launch (having only played for an hour I still don't know what the title means).

Until very recently (some banner ads out now) one had to do some research to discover what this was all about.

chekhonte

I had no idea what SOMA was until about a month from release.
I then learned it was a horror game and coming from the Amnesia guys.
I then saw all the great reviews.

I bought it at launch.

Until very recently (some ads out now) one had to do some research to discover what this was all about.

Yeah, it's a small team with out the money to properly market it. All their games have been popular by word of mouth.

CHC

This is great to read, I'm really pleased for them.

SOMA was not 100% perfect but it was a GREAT game and it more than delivered on its promise. To hear that it was, by their metrics, a success is really pleasing.

Grief.exe

Steam doesn't allow anybody to share sales for reasons I don't understand either but that's the reason they (or anybody else) can't share sales figures.

People figure it out though. Often times companies will give a total as well as xbox and playstation sales and the remainder will be the PC sales.

What? Valve doesn't care about sales figures once they leave their office, publishers and developers are free to do as they please.

Happy for them, I enjoyed the game. Just a shame that 5 years of work went by in a couple of hours.

You might have rushed through it a bit then. These kind of games are meant to be explored slowly; looking at all the little details in each room which tells its own story.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"It's different from Amnesia!"

Game is literally Amnesia.

Still fun though!

And Amnesia is literally Penumbra

It just means they had more money in the bank before development of SOMA began, 5 years ago, than they do today. But the amount of copies sold will keep them going solid for another 2 years.

fastmower

You might have rushed through it a bit then. These kind of games are meant to be explored slowly; looking at all the little details in each room which tells its own story.

Yeah, I've gotten plenty of hours in this game. I explore all the rooms and details, and when something interesting happens, I take a moment or two to ponder the thoughts the game gives me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Glad it's off to a good start. I will be picking it up soon. Need something spooky for the Halloween season.

Haunted

Great article, I really like how candid and open the Frictional guys are about what's happening. Good stuff.

FC Bayern

Bought it on PS4 a few days ago.

Sat down to give it 4-5 hours of my time, ended up wasting around 2 hours loading/reloading the game because of hard crashes with error messages, being physically stuck and unable to move and complete sound loss at times.

From what I did get to play though, I really really enjoyed. It has a really good vibe and atmosphere that reminds me of playing Half Life 1 for the first time. It's one of the first games in quite a while that I've actually wanted to be extremely thorough and check/read/pick up everything only just to learn about the world and setting.

It already had one patch when I bought it, I think there was another one today/yesterday. Just going to wait another week or so and pick it up again once everything is working correctly.

Neff

I think these guys are talented, and I think they have it in them to make a good game, but SOMA wasn't it. A short, linear, simplistic, albeit mostly enjoyable 'experience' first, game very much second, and not one I feel compelled to revisit. It feels like a £10-£15 game in terms of mechanics and design, not a £22 game, and I regret buying it. Really pretty, though.

Granjinha

I think these guys are talented, and I think they have it in them to make a good game, but SOMA wasn't it. A short, linear, simplistic, albeit mostly enjoyable 'experience' first, game very much second, and not one I feel compelled to revisit. It feels like a £10-£15 game in terms of mechanics and design, not a £22 game, and I regret buying it. Really pretty, though.

Yeah, really disagree. It's very much a game, not a "experience". Lots of puzzles and enemies. It's just on the easy side. Wouldn't call it short, either, especially in comparison to both Amnesia's.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, I've gotten plenty of hours in this game. I explore all the rooms and details, and when something interesting happens, I take a moment or two to ponder the thoughts the game gives me.

Yep, so many nice visual details like (Not a story spoiler, but a detail spoiler)
The different people hooked up to the WAU, my favourite so far being the guy who literally has a computer fan in his chest, it's just so..weird and you start to wonder "Why?"
A very cerebral game, for sure.

Jito

Banned
Surprised by all the short comments coming out, took me at least 6 hours to complete it I think. Where you guys just sprinting through the game and not taking in any of the environment design, audio logs, documents and such? It's definitely a slow paced exploration game.

bede-x

Well for me it was one of the scariest games I've ever played. It was super effective on me. The whole psychological aspect of it really got to me in a way most of these kinds of horror games don't.

Same here. I wouldn't hesitate to call it the best horror game I've played. Not because of the mechanical aspects of the monster encounters, but because of the way it builds the overall tension, the themes and the story. Really creepy stuff IMO and much more interesting than the typical limited resource monster fighting jump scare horror, we're often presented with and which I typically forget about as soon as I turn off the system.

Really love Soma and hope it does well for them.

Just at a guess, I'm going to go with 52k on Steam (SteamSpy data), 12k on other PC storefronts, 28k on PS4. Given that their last big game never showed up on consoles, it makes sense that they'd see more sales on PC.

I hadn't really paid attention to its release, but after watching the GB quicklook, and hearing that it's from Frictional games, I'll definitely be picking up a copy when I have time to play it.

Top Bottom