• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new FFXIII tidbits

Aeon712

StevieP said:
FFXIII isn't coming out at the beginning of the cycle. At the rate it's going, I'd be surprised if it hit before 2009.
People actually expected this before 08? We'll be lucky if we get the rumored demo this holiday season. I hope Sony pre loads it on systems and in store kiosks.

Ceb

And I forgot to mention an unrelated piece of news (?): Some of "the biggest names in the gaming industry" have offered to create levels for Little Big Planet, but Media Molecule wouldn't specify which ones.

Tobor

AltogetherAndrews said:
Would you prefer a trend that suggests that rushed and flawed is the way to go?

I have issues with MS as well, but they ****ed up less at this point. Had Sony toned the thing down, nixed some of the bloat, and released at $400 in a timely manner, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

test_account

XP-39C²
StevieP said:
Or, they could use H.264 and fit everything on a DVD9. If pirates can make a BluRay/HD-DVD disc fit onto a 4gig DVD-R, I'm sure Square can fit their 10 hours of cinematics onto a couple DVDs.

These movies are usualy 720p tho, not 1080p. Bitrate is also lower. Not saying it is bad quality, far from it, but its not the same quality as the source from a HD-DVD or a BR disc. You dont have to be a pirate to make h264 movies either, everyone can do it, just a guide is needed :) I know what you mean tho, but just wanted to point that out ;)

Eteric Rice

TheJollyCorner said:
what was a target render?

Oh, surely you don't mean the FFXIII trailer? :lol

Parts of it were real, but many parts were not.

I thought we had already been through this? :/

Ceb

Eteric Rice said:

So showing CG automatically means "target render" now?

StevieP

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
You're right. Something that hasn't happened before could never happen in the future. Let me write that down...

Glad we understand eachother. Historical precedence for 7 generations doesn't go away.

Busty

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

We have.

Over and over, and over... and over.

Please, I beg of you, no more FF XIII trailer comparison shots.

v1cious

Banned
"It's never solely about graphics, but at the same time you can't deny the meaning of the looks for the experience as a whole. The technique allows us to create characters so realistic that the player perceives them as being alive. It adds something emotional to the entire game experience. Which in its turn makes the combat system feel different since you care about the characters and you feel for them in a way that you've never done before. When you play FFXIII, it feels like you're controlling something that's not a 3D model, but a real creature."

ZOMG Wii port confirmed.

TheJollyCorner said:
This is why an exclusive like FFXIII is truly a system saver for Sony. Sure, the usual suspects will come in here with the typical "LOL S-E must hate money! No Wii FFXIII FTmassiveL!", but the truth is this game (almost single handedly, although combined with a good price-cut to amplify my point :D) could bring Sony back within competitive reach with Nintendo and MS.

People will buy a PS3 for this game... and I'm sure Sony knows that.
You didn't read Odysseus' hypothesis in the media create thread, did'nt you?

Busty

Banned
Vagabundo said:
That makes the 600 quid okay?

They increased the price of the PS3 in the UK by £175?

That's it people. Sony am doomed.

It's all over.....would the last person logging off HOME turn off all the lights when they are done.

Cheers.

Eteric Rice

"It's never solely about graphics, but at the same time you can't deny the meaning of the looks for the experience as a whole. The technique allows us to create characters so realistic that the player perceives them as being alive. It adds something emotional to the entire game experience. Which in its turn makes the combat system feel different since you care about the characters and you feel for them in a way that you've never done before. When you play FFXIII, it feels like you're controlling something that's not a 3D model, but a real creature."

I agree, yet I disagree with him. You can't make a player care about the character that much just by making them look realistic. You do that by giving the character actual character, which usually comes in with good writers. Sort of like the cast of Final Fantasy VI, I remember most of em' by name and love em' to death. :)

Or you could go the Fire Emblem route to make people care. :lol

I've actually screamed "NOOOO" in Fire Emblem before, when one of my character died. :D

TheJollyCorner said:
This is why an exclusive like FFXIII is truly a system saver for Sony. Sure, the usual suspects will come in here with the typical "LOL S-E must hate money! No Wii FFXIII FTmassiveL!", but the truth is this game (almost single handedly, although combined with a good price-cut to amplify my point :D) could bring Sony back within competitive reach with Nintendo and MS.

People will buy a PS3 for this game... and I'm sure Sony knows that.

That's an unlikely position. How many PS3s do you honestly think it can push? How many copies of FFXII have been sold?

Vagabundo

badcrumble said:
Costs go down. Shoddy products are forever*

*or rather they dont last a very long time

Sow what, MS can fix the shoddy product with hardware revisions.

Not saying that the costs going down or the hardware revisions make the early adopters feel any better.

pswii60

Ceb said:
And I forgot to mention an unrelated piece of news (?): Some of "the biggest names in the gaming industry" have offered to create levels for Little Big Planet, but Media Molecule wouldn't specify which ones.

I thought Miyamoto was busy with SMG.

Eteric Rice

Vagabundo said:
Sow what, MS can fix the shoddy product with hardware revisions.

Not saying that the costs going down or the hardware revisions make the early adopters feel any better.

The PS3's hardware isn't shoddy at all, really. From what I've seen, it doesn't break down nearly as often as the PS2 or PS1 did. For that, I give them a lot of credit.

But the 360 on the other hand... Well, I'm really dissapointed in MS. I want one, but there's no way I'm buying one right now.

Mononofu

Eteric Rice said:
I agree, yet I disagree with him. You can't make a player care about the character that much just by making them look realistic. You do that by giving the character actual character, which usually comes in with good writers. Sort of like the cast of Final Fantasy VI, I remember most of em' by name and love em' to death. :)

Or you could go the Fire Emblem route to make people care. :lol

I've actually screamed "NOOOO" in Fire Emblem before, when one of my character died. :D

I would love to see more RPGs with perma deaths, too bad it won't happen.

StevieP

Banned
Mononofu said:
*Cough*Halo*Cough

Yeah, like I said. Both Halos sure helped the XBox come within range of the PS2.
If the PS3's slide into oblivion continues, people will do what they did with the Gamecube in Japan (and even the XBox to some extent). Buy it for a game, play it, finish it, and sell it back to the store used for a small loss. Great game as it may be, it's not going to propel the PS3 - don't set yourselves up for disappointment like the "Nintards" did a decade ago.

Vagabundo

Eteric Rice said:
The PS3's hardware isn't shoddy at all, really. From what I've seen, it doesn't break down nearly as often as the PS2 or PS1 did. For that, I give them a lot of credit.

But the 360 on the other hand... Well, I'm really dissapointed in MS. I want one, but there's no way I'm buying one right now.

Okay.. ermm possibly the few drinks I have had are slurrying things. But:

I was replying to someone bring up the 360 when someone else was saying that 600 was too much.

My opinion: 360 = shoddy hardware (no way I'd buy one)
PS3 = too expensive for a console (no way Id buy one)

Both are bad trends.

Eteric Rice

Vagabundo said:
Okay.. ermm possibly the few drinks I have had are slurrying things. But:

I was replying to someone bring up the 360 when someone else was saying that 600 was too much.

My opinion: 360 = shoddy hardware (no way I'd buy one)
PS3 = too expensive for a console (no way Id buy one)

Both are bad trends.

Agreed. :/

Vagabundo

Busty said:
Apologises. I didn't realise that was the case, never heard that before. Just crossed wires.

I am British. And I enjoy spending quids.

Every day's a school day. Etc, etc.

No worries. I think we only use quids for Euro here (Éire) anyway. Maybe the Aussies do too.. not sure.

OT:

Brewster's suggests it comes from 'quid pro quo', an equivalent amount for something, and also suggests that it originally referred to a sovereign.

One upon a time Gaelic-speaking Irishmen in the British Army would refer to "my money" as "mo chuid": "cuid"(pronounced, very roughly, "quid") being an omnibus Gaelic word for "thing", "piece", "possessesion", "collection", "money" (as in this case) - or even "a bout of sexual intercourse"! English soldiers adopted the reference to what they heard as "quid", to mean the pound. (extract from "Semantic Enigmas")

Busty

Banned
StevieP said:
Yeah, like I said. Both Halos sure helped the XBox come within range of the PS2.

If by within range you mean a tiny spot that the Playstation 2 at first assumes is a spec of dust in it's rear view mirror and then realises that it's actually it's nearest competitor as it runs it's hand up the leg of Xbox's wife and floors the accelarator roaring over the horizon all the while laughing.

Then yes.

Well in range.

mabuza

Banned
Busty said:
If by within range you mean a tiny spot that the Playstation 2 at first assumes is a spec of dust in it's rear view mirror and then realises that it's actually it's nearest competitor as it runs it's hand up the leg of Xbox's wife and floors the accelarator roaring over the horizon all the while laughing.

Then yes.

Well in range.
i'm pretty sure stevie was being sarcastic. right stevie?

StevieP

Banned
Busty said:

Then yes.

Well in range.

Your sarcasm detector must be broken :)

StevieP said:
If the PS3's slide into oblivion continues, people will do what they did with the Gamecube in Japan (and even the XBox to some extent). Buy it for a game, play it, finish it, and sell it back to the store used for a small loss. Great game as it may be, it's not going to propel the PS3 - don't set yourselves up for disappointment like the "Nintards" did a decade ago.

You are right. Sony would be smart to release GT5, White Knight Story and the like to keep the Japanese audience interested in the system. Releasing Resistand and God of War 3 there, while great games, won't do shit for them.

Busty

Banned
StevieP said:
Your sarcasm detector must be broken :)

Ahhh....it appears my sarcasm detector is undergoing some minor technical difficulties.

052406_computer_smash.jpg

Apologises :)

Vagabundo

Busty said:
Ahhh....it appears my sarcasm detector is undergoing some minor technical difficulties.

052406_computer_smash.jpg

Apologises :)
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

My wife doesn't like ur avatar, she says it is disgusting, "it is like he is doing something" :D

Busty

Banned
Vagabundo said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

My wife doesn't like ur avatar, she says it is disgusting, "it is like he is doing something" :D

He is doing something.

Taking part in a sponsored Jive marathon to raise money for adorable, big eyed, starving orphans...

I can't ****ing wait for Final Fantasy XIII. God the last time I played an AWESOME Final Fantasy was during Fifa World Cup 2002, when Korea was playing against Italy (I got the game that day). Final Fantasy X team is awesome!! They make addictive FF's

**** Matsuno

Doom_Bringer said:
I can't ****ing wait for Final Fantasy XIII. God the last time I played an AWESOME Final Fantasy was during Fifa World Cup 2002, when Korea was playing against Italy (I got the game that day). Final Fantasy X team is awesome!! They make addictive FF's

**** Matsuno

You fail at life.

"it's toooooo HAAARRRDD WAAAAAAAH"

My Arms Your Hearse said:
You fail at life.

"it's toooooo HAAARRRDD WAAAAAAAH"

I used cheats and still didn't have fun. Dungeon crawlers suck!! I did get to the last boss in January though, but couldn't beat him! Haven't touched the game since :p

Now I'm convinced this game should stay on the PS3. Hopefully we'll see every last bit of power exploited; they should delay as long as they want. I always love seeing an advanced and detailed take on what the future will be like from a game developer. With the usual depth of these types of games, I think Square may be creating one of the defining experiences of this generation.

Amir0x

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
I used cheats and still didn't have fun. I did get to the last boss in January though, but couldn't beat him!

Further solidifying your fail, you can't even beat it when you used cheats!

Doom_Bringer said:
Dungeon crawlers suck!!

Even further fail. Ask your sister for help.

Eteric Rice

Rancid Mildew said:
Now I'm convinced this game should stay on the PS3. Hopefully we'll see every last bit of power exploited; they should delay as long as they want. I always love seeing an advanced and detailed take on what the future will be like from a game developer. With the usual depth of these types of games, I think Square may be creating one of the defining experiences of this generation.

As long as XIV is on the Wii.

:p

Amir0x said:
Further solidifying your fail, you can't even beat it when you used cheats!

:lol

Ok maybe I should elaborate on what kind of cheats I used...ahem, HP 9999, MP 9999 only for 4 characters, rest on Level 32 with 4000 - 5000 HP, 99 X potions, all licenses for two characters (this freezed the game so I didn't use the effects).

My character's weren't invisible, and I didn't have the best equipment. I was basically fighting that last boss with three characters at 9999 HP and the rest of the stats were Level 30. That's why he killed me

Doom_Bringer said:
:lol

Ok maybe I should elaborate on what kind of cheats I used...ahem, HP 9999, MP 9999 only for 4 characters, rest on Level 32 with 4000 - 5000 HP, 99 X potions, all licenses for two characters (this freezed the game so I didn't use the effects).

My character's weren't invisible, and I didn't have the best equipment. I was basically fighting that last boss with three characters at 9999 HP and the rest of the stats were Level 30. That's why he killed me

Sooo...essentially you cheated your way through the game, SCREWED IT UP, and this is somehow the game's fault, and thus it sucks.

did I get that right? :lol

Top Bottom