• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone I liked and respected became a neonazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

He can be pretty blind to the racist and bigoted things he says. That "Theodore" sounds like a black name. How the protestors in Ferguson were just thugs and anarchists. How LGBTQ kids and people should just stay silent. How it was better in the 70s, 80s, because people didn't try to make their stuff known like that and just kept quiet about it
Dad might be insecure about his sexuality?

Come on my dude, they didn't become a neonazi + racist, motherfucker was already both of those things.

All that's changed if they feel they can finally be open and upfront about those things and not feel as much blowback/pressure. Be happy you know what they are really like instead of continuing to invest time with this filth.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Your friend AND your father both just became neo nazis out of nowhere?

Sorry OP I don't buy this. These people in and around your community have always been prone to these beliefs, you just didn't see it.

With Trump getting elected they've just stopped bothering to use dogwhistles and hide it.

It's true that they probably were racist long before, but it really can get extreme out of nowhere.

It's impossible to grow up without learning race based stereotypes, which causes a lot of the racism that people of color have to deal with every day, but it does usually take going out of your way to learn about how to think about it on a white supremacy/nazi/KKK/alt-right level. You're basically taking someone that hasn't put that much thought into race, and is mostly being problematic through stubborn ignorance, and changing that racism into a core philosophy.

I don't think you even need to go to neonazi website to get that. Just Trump or Fox News can trigger people into thinking about race on that deeper political and philosophical level and becoming much worse for it.

Apocryphon

Is there more too this? She changed her name to the German word for supervisor/overseer, and that means she's a neo nazi?

This feels like a convenient excuse. The people who fall so hard into this garbage had to have been receptive to the idea in the first place for it to become their whole world-view.
It's more a realisation that we're creatures of our environments. Even the staunchest of neo-nazi/KKK/ISIS/Westboro members can be deprogrammed, and we have many cases of that happening.

nkarafo

Is there more too this? She changed her name to the German word for supervisor/overseer, and that means she's a neo nazi?
Yeah i'm also curious. Some people do these things because they think it's cool to be controversial and villainous. I remember myself years ago telling to my friends i want to dress up like an SS officer in a costume party someday because i love the design of the uniforms and how intimidating they look and how controversial i will be. I know it's stupid and cynical but there's nothing more to it.

This feels like a convenient excuse. The people who fall so hard into this garbage had to have been receptive to the idea in the first place for it to become their whole world-view.

Yeah, it was something that was hidden within. They themselves may not have even known it, but once media came along to confirm that bias they secretly held, it comes rushing through

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
How does one slowly change her Steam user name? Doing really long pauses between keystrokes?

OP you need to explain, I'm curious now!

I actually wonder how "dangerous" the anti-semitic memes and Hitler-memes/jokes could be for teens.
I was playing OW 2 nights ago with a team full of kids before their puberty and they spouted shit like "Hitler did nothing wrong", "Jews love coins! Goyim XDDDD" and stuff like that.

Here in Germany I see some people I knew from my past who slowly became Neo-Nazis. It also started with Jew jokes and stuff like that, slowly changed their clothes (Springerstiefel, Bomberjacke), shaved their head, blame immigrants on why they cant find a job without even having a middle school degree to full on Neo-Nazis spouting about race superiority etc.

Print out some pictures showing the Holocaust. Drop by their house and tell them this is what they support now. Have a fucking look at it. And then remove them from your life.

I truly wonder if education has failed us when it comes to these things, or people truly don't care. I'm afraid it's the latter.

Print out some pictures showing the Holocaust. Drop by their house and tell them this is what they support now. Have a fucking look at it. And then remove them from your life.

I truly wonder if education has failed us when it comes to these things, or people truly don't care. I'm afraid it's the latter.

Those people in Germany will argue that those pictures might be fake. Then they argue "How can that be if black people were in the SS?"

Yeah. They are dumb as fuck...

Those people in Germany will argue that those pictures might be fake. Then they argue "How can that be if black people were in the SS?"

Yeah. They are dumb as fuck...
I guess. I really don't know how would react if someone I knew would come with bullshit like that. Like, my great-grandfather died for nothing according to these people, fighting nazi's in the resistance? Millions upon millions where wiped out. We have the evidence, we have the pictures, video, people are alive talking about it (sadly, not for long, and I'm afraid it will get even worse as time moves on).

As for the memes and jokes, I truly believe this contributes to this among kids. That is why I was so angry with the whole PewDiePie thing. It is not just a joke. It is directly influencing your audience of millions that this is OK. It is not.

They aren't even jokes. Let's all yell Hitler did nothing wrong! Aren't we funny? No, you are not, you're just assholes.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I actually wonder how "dangerous" the anti-semitic memes and Hitler-memes/jokes could be for teens.
I was playing OW 2 nights ago with a team full of kids before their puberty and they spouted shit like "Hitler did nothing wrong", "Jews love coins! Goyim XDDDD" and stuff like that.

Here in Germany I see some people I knew from my past who slowly became Neo-Nazis. It also started with Jew jokes and stuff like that, slowly changed their clothes (Springerstiefel, Bomberjacke), shaved their head, blame immigrants on why they cant find a job without even having a middle school degree to full on Neo-Nazis spouting about race superiority etc.

Where the hell do you live? I don't even know how many years it's been until I saw my last bomber jacket nazi in Germany.

The Kree

Banned
I wonder if these kinds of people see the writing on the wall and just say fuck it, might as well lean into because it's easier than not.

Op I do not believe that your friend and dad just suddenly became racist… Something tells me there were tell tale signs that either not obvious to you or you brushed them off since they are close to you.
My advice is to not give up on them and just keep trying to educate/help them. If you just leave them alone to their echo chambers then they may just get worse.

To be honest the perception that people have to be predisposed to be receptive to these kinds of extreme ideologies to accept them and internalize them also feels like a convenient excuse to not deal with the notion that any person can be made to have extreme ideals with sufficient effort.

To be honest the perception that people have to be predisposed to be receptive to these kinds of extreme ideologies to accept them and internalize them also feels like a convenient excuse to not deal with the notion that any person can be made to have extreme ideals with sufficient effort.
Agreed, anyone can be influenced by these things.

"Advertising doesn't affect me."
"Propaganda doesn't affect me."
"Media doesn't affect me."

It's all bullshit. Anyone can be brainwashed. You can even do a little experiment: try to watch these far right channels for a few months and don't look at forums like this and other regular news. See how it impact your worldview.

It's all bullshit. Anyone can be brainwashed. You can even do a little experiment: try to watch these far right channels for a few months and don't look at forums like this and other regular news. See how it impact your worldview.

Yeah. People are quick to forget that though media has hardly any strength over your own actions, it one hundred percent can affect what you think the outside world is like, and any degree of isolation from the rest of the world combined with toxic media consumption is already super bad for people.

TSM

I've always maintained that a large part of the tolerance we take for granted in the western world is actually generated by apathy. People get so invested in themselves and their own problems that most of the rest of the world gets tuned out to a large extent. This last election cycle seems to have roused a lot of people from their apathy, and unfortunately a lot of these people fall on parts of the spectrum we'd hoped to have left behind 50 years ago.

True.
My term paper in law was how even the German media can easily influence people and paint certain enemy images of other countries (and the legal repercussions of that)...

You can try to talk to older German people whose only source of news is TV. A lot of them have a strange view of the world mainly because of that.

Lightbreaker

Neo Member
Sometimes people can not differentiate their social logic from sound/theoretical logic. An example would be the common black stereotype, a decent number of people think black people are natural born thieves, even though they don't know or haven't spoken to them.

Carl2291

When peoples lives are being negatively affected and they aren't being heard by those in power, they will push towards more extreme ideologies. When they have unfiltered access to propaganda through mainstream and social media, it will warp peoples minds to believe and fight for a specific stance.

This is happening more and more, and it's primarily a failure of governments over the last 20 years.

Lightbreaker

Neo Member
Also, I know a lot of people don't like to hear this and this maybe be too harsh, but some of us have garbage tendencies that have been deep inside us.

I'm not say that your friend and father are garbage, but we shouldn't lie to ourselves when we see nice people turn bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom