• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone Made a Beautiful, Yet Terrifying Analog Synth soundtrack of NES Metroid

ChaosXVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6fceLfjB4s&list=PL50UiFZSGFneSN1H5nJYHaaLc9qCpp-T-

So I felt like this deserved to get some recognition on GAF, as I've never heard a more perfect rendition of the original Metroid's soundtrack, to the point where I feel like these versions of the songs could be played over the game and not feel out of place, unlike most remixes which are more meant to just be listened to. I also like just how chilling these songs feel compared to the originals, and give an extra level of horror to the game, which was already easily the weirdest of the Metroid games. I'd say the best two are Kraid's Lair and the Item Room theme,

Funnily enough, these songs actually remind me a lot of Axiom Verge, which in turn was heavily inspired by the original NES Metroid more than anything else.

linko9

Wow, this is great! I wish someone would make a Super Metroid MSU1 romhack with these songs!

ChaosXVI

Has this been shown to Hirokazu Tanaka? It seems like something he'd like a fair bit.

I definitely would have linked him to it, but unfortunately I do not use Twitter. To me it sounds like someone took John Carpenter and made him make this. Item Room and the credits theme especially sound like that to me.

This rules, thanks for sharing

Haven't played OG Metroid but I appreciate its vibes, the synths just bring them to the next level of spacey weirdness

JusDoIt

Easily my favorite Metroid covers ever. These takes sound like what Hip Tanaka always wanted Metroid to sound like. They're so much better than most Metroid covers, which are usually either metal or symphonic in style. Those never really capture the feel of Metroid.

Wonko_C

jett

D-Member
I listened to this the other day, it's pretty neat indeed. The music of the original Metroid holds up wonderfully.

Not bad, but the whole thing is compressed to oblivion. There's a time and a place for crunchy sound but holy shit a little bit of dynamic range can go a long way. A decent straight to synth style remake but it needs a lot more polish.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
korg_ms20_mini_alt_lg.jpg

such a great remake of an old synth.. i love it to bits <3

I'm in the market for my first synth and I've been considering either the MS20 mini or the Korg Minilogue. These videos are pushing me towards the former.

JB2448

I definitely would have linked him to it, but unfortunately I do not use Twitter. To me it sounds like someone took John Carpenter and made him make this. Item Room and the credits theme especially sound like that to me.

He's definitely seen it now:
00URsVU.png

Not even ashamed of the bump. This could go for some more exposure anyway.

modsbox

Thanks for sharing. Some of them I didn't really care for (and was surprised I didn't), but wow Norfair and Item Room are both ridiculously awesome.

I miss 2D Metroid games so much. Might be time to play through that AM2R remake, it's supposed to be excellent correct?

Top Bottom