• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somewhat murderous scumbag PMC Blackwater gets an FPS (360-Zombie Studios)

Blackwater are obviously murderers for hire, but is this much different than playing GTA or any number of other games where you play as criminals?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Freezie KO said:
Blackwater are obviously murderers for hire, but is this much different than playing GTA or any number of other games where you play as criminals?

I'll stick with imaginary pieces of shit, thanks.

Is this the company of which a female employee was gangraped in a shipping container by fellow employees and they tried to cover it up so she tried to sue but Republicans tried to block the bill that would have given her standing to sue?

xbhaskarx

How many FPS games get made about mobsters? How many about Buddhist monks?

graywolf323 said:
UN Peacekeepers aren't much better

just read up on some of the things they've done in Africa

That's totally different because it's not evil Americans raping and killing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Freezie KO said:

I'd rather not glorify real scumbags.

Persona7

Banned
wow

I wonder why the developers chose and actually ran with this project.

I actually liked blacklight:tango down, it was a cool little game.

Tenck

Why do people hate them? They sound like the best people..........ah eff that. Just read about how they killed innocent people.

xelios said:
Your intentions here are the only thing that's murky and no one is going to take you seriously when 99% of your claims are obviously false. Do some research; you're making a complete fool of yourself throughout the thread by downplaying all these known and documented atrocities.

There are a lot of hardcore bros who probably jack off to the idea of war and still wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. Anyone who would is probably an amoeba themselves, utterly ignorant like yourself or has more love for the genre than they do self-respect.

My only stance is that calling everyone in Blackwater a murdering scumbag is false I bolded that so that you can't so easily ignore it again. Every single person in that organization that has committed these crimes should be held accountable for them. I don't believe that the majority of their employees have done these kinds of things, or that they are "murderers for hire" as someone else has said.

That's what my stance is. If you want to disagree, and say that all of them as a whole are a bunch of murdering scumbags, then have the courage to say so. Don't be a coward and dance around it, inferring a bunch of things that I DON'T feel instead of addressing what I have CLEARLY said is my problem with that one exaggeration being thrown around. I have also CLEARLY said that I don't defend anything wrong that anyone in the company has done, but of course it's more convenient for you to ignore that. A lot of the same things have been done by members of the military, and I don't think it's valid to paint every soldier as a murdering scumbag either. Don't have the audacity to misrepresent me and then call ME utterly ignorant.

As I've said before, I was referring to the "single incident" that most people think of when they conclude that Blackwater is a bunch of murderers. It was murky because the investigation indicated that they don't know everything that happened (found that people were shot by weapons not carried by the Blackwater employees, etc), but what is not murky is that Blackwater employees did unjustifiably kill unarmed civilians. I have already explained that I am not saying this is the only incident of Blackwater employees doing something horrible.

Your willful ignorance about what I'm saying, and disregard for things that have already been addressed in this thread is disappointing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
bishoptl said:
Blackwater apologists? Oh GAF, after all this time you never cease to amaze
I'm honestly surprised too.

There needs to be some kind of Law like Godwins Law that states "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of someone defending something that does not need defended approaches 1".

You can call it Trojita's Law.

Chiggs said:
Oh, spare me the dramatics.

Like there has never, ever, been a situation where a military contractor, even Blackwater, has acted courageously?
Let me spell it. FUCK Blackwater. FUCK them.

Go read up something about these fucks before you say anything. They basically operated above the law and below the radar. Meaning, do whatever the fuck you want and torture whoever you want. Read up on Erik Prince, the fundamentalist Christian Crusading Warrior-CEO of Blackwater (now known as Xe). Are you asking me if Contractors are capable of valor? Why the fuck not. Even Al Qaida soldiers are. Doesn't mean shit.

Trojita said:
I'm honestly surprised too.

There needs to be some kind of Law like Godwins Law that states "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of someone defending something that does not need defended approaches 1".

You can call it Trojita's Law.

How about a law that says that when someone criticizes a distortion of the truth or an unfair generalization of a bunch of people based on the actions of some, that person will automatically be accused of being an apologist/fan/defender of the organization in question.

Orayn

LaserBuddha said:
How about a law that says that when someone criticizes a distortion of the truth or an unfair generalization of a bunch of people based on the actions of some, that person will automatically be accused of being an apologist/fan/defender of the organization in question.
That's exactly the kind of law a fan/defender/apologist would propose! :O

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LaserBuddha said:
My only stance is that calling everyone in Blackwater a murdering scumbag is false

Murdering? Not all of them. Scumbags? All of them.

If you stay in that organization knowingly after all of the shit they have done, then you're scum.

I don't know why people seem to be referring to a single incident involving Black Water.

Erik Prince himself spoke of another during his Congressional hearing (if that's what it is called).

Edit:

Why would Laserbuddha be privy to the evidence? Tell me, of the other crimes committed and tried, how much of the evidence did you get to see?

Secondly, Erik Prince talked of an incident involving one of his employees murdering an Iraqi guard.

Instead of reporting him to the authorities of any sort, he was given a plane ticket home.

demolitio

These are the guys that helped pave the way for a new breed of gaming villains, the rogue PMC's! They tarnished the work of a lot of legitimate contractors thanks to many of their issues.

Are they all crooks like it's being implied? No. Are there a lot of scum that deserve a life sentence or a firing squad? Yes. I'm not going to say every single employee that has ever worked for them should be shot, otherwise every single organization out there would be in trouble. It's something we see a lot of when young people are given a position of absolute authority over others and think they're above the law unfortunately. They definitely shouldn't still be overseas or employed by any country.

Give me Six Days in Fallujah over this shit though. :(

Chiggs

RustyNails said:

Go read up something about these fucks before you say anything. They basically operated above the law and below the radar. Meaning, do whatever the fuck you want and torture whoever you want. Read up on Erik Prince, the fundamentalist Christian Crusading Warrior-CEO of Blackwater (now known as Xe). Are you asking me if Contractors are capable of valor? Why the fuck not. Even Al Qaida soldiers are. Doesn't mean shit.

I like how you assume I have no knowledge of this group. Let me guess, you are the expert because you read a book by Jeremy Scahill and played MGS4?

Whatever, the drama and hypocrisy in this thread is fucking absurd. Apologist my ass; not everyone who works for a military contractor is a roiding nutjob with a hardon for Jesus and Arab blood.

Is that so hard to understand?

Chiggs said:
Every single person who has, or will, work for a military contractor, drinks the blood of innocent civilians while raping and pillaging their way across whatever country lets them in their borders.

They are all murderers. Every last one of them!

Completely reasonable.

True, not every military contractor is evil.

Blackwater is though.

Orayn

operon said:
Fuck some people will stick up for anything
No one is sticking up for any of the bad things Blackwater employees have done, but some are taking issue with calling people "murdering scumbags" en masse.

Enosh

well, it sure as hell is an inversion of the standart "evil PMC" found in most games that feature them

althrough I have no idea why not make up a name and not say anything about blackwater, then again, they are probably counting on the controversy to help sell the game

althrough blackwater, aren't they preaty much glorified security guards with a fucked up resume full of bribes and murder?

now Executive Outcomes, they actualy did something (I don't know their full history, so they might be just as fucked up)

operon

Orayn said:
No one is sticking up for any of the bad things Blackwater employees have done, but some are taking issue with calling people "murdering scumbags" en masse.

If the caps fits, with the stuff this organisation has done its fair to call them "murdering scumbags"

Chiggs

Orayn said:

Pffft!

Weeee, it's fun to paint in broad strokes! Especially when you have zero real world experience with the subject at hand!

All Blackwater employees operated as a hive mind under Christofascist Erik Prince! There was no disagreement in the ranks. There was no human element at all; just the burning desire to kill as many innocent Arabs as possible to appease Jesus Christ! Heck, that's the reason they were brought in!

We should just rename this place GAF's Defence Journal since there are so many PMC experts here.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Chiggs said:
Pffft!

Weeee, it's fun to paint in broad strokes! Especially when you have zero real world experience with the subject at hand!

All Blackwater employees operated as a hive mind under Christofascist Erik Prince! There was no disagreement in the ranks. There was no human element at all; just the burning desire to kill as many innocent Arabs as possible to appease Jesus Christ! Heck, that's the reason they were brought in!

We should just rename this place GAF's Defence Journal since there are so many PMC experts here.
Do you have stock in Xe or something?

Chiggs

LaserBuddha said:
*slips silently out through the back door*

But wait!

From the link I posted above:

Former employees said that the company had a separate lucrative contract to help protect a string of nuclear reactors planned in the U.A.E. and to provide cybersecurity for the nuclear sites.

The U.A.E is a close American ally, and officials in Washington indicated that there was some support in the Obama administration for the foreign mercenary battalion. But the State Department is looking into the project to ensure it does not violate American laws regulating the export of defense technology and expertise.

hteng

Banned
so they are funding for this game or something? what developers in their right minds would try to glorify them.

RustyNails said:

try not to forget the four guys that got hung from a bridge.

I see some people know little about the company other than what they read on daily kos.

I know some people who have worked for Blackwater/Xe in the past. They are not murderers, rapists, scumbags, thieves, etc. They all spent time in the military, but working for a private firm allowed them to get paid well for risking their lives and gave them more control over their future - they could decline assignments and leave the company when they wished, which is a freedom you don't have in the military.

They're all honorable people, and their job is insanely difficult. War isn't clean and orderly, especially in current war zones, where the enemy could be dressed as a civilian or even in the uniform of an ally or local police, and real war doesn't have a reload button.

As far as the company as a whole goes, surely they've been racking up the convictions for their heinous crimes, right? (Please list these so that we all are on the same page)

While there's a bunch of interesting scenarios involving PMCs that would make for good FPS scenarios (the involvement of PMCs in fighting in Sierra Leone, for example), making a game about Blackwater, with a press release like that to announce it, is pretty damn tasteless.

graywolf323 said:
UN Peacekeepers aren't much better

just read up on some of the things they've done in Africa

To be fair, UN Peacekeepers could be from dozens of nations, so you're always going to get some bad eggs when there are so many different contingents working together.

Margalis

Banned
s far as the company as a whole goes, surely they've been racking up the convictions for their heinous crimes, right? (Please list these so that we all are on the same page)

$40 million plus in fines, kicked out of Iraq, multiple lawsuit settlements with more lawsuits pending, found to have obstructed investigations and Congressional hearings.

Obviously not every single person who works for Blackwater is a murderer. But the organization is rotten.

demolitio

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
To be fair, UN Peacekeepers could be from dozens of nations, so you're always going to get some bad eggs when there are so many different contingents working together.
You get some bad eggs in almost every major organization out there and people in war are no exception and are more susceptible to that corruption. Some young people abuse the power they have and think they're above the law. Some of the higher-ups even did some very bad things, but that doesn't make every single person that's ever worked for Blackwater scum.

Once again. I'm not defending those who broke the law AT ALL. But to hate on every single person for the actions of the minority is pretty extreme. I've known plenty of amazing people that were contractors and Blackwater has tainted their names. Not everyone deserves to be punished for the actions of others if it was out of their control. Not everyone was there during these crimes and not every employee covered it up or broke any law. I wish these scumbags get the harshest sentences possible just like the people that made the U.S. military look bad in the early days of the war.

That being said, it's still an incredibly stupid idea to have them in a game. It's different than the usual modern gaming cliche of a PMC going rogue and the hero must stop them and uncover the conspiracy...lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Open Source said:
As far as the company as a whole goes, surely they've been racking up the convictions for their heinous crimes, right? (Please list these so that we all are on the same page)
yeah and show me the convictions of the supposed "wall street crooks" while you're at it too, poligaffers.

guarantee you the people hating on this company are the same people whining about banks without having any evidence for their claims. ah the koskrew aka poligaf

domlolz

Banned
AstroLad said:
yeah and show me the convictions of the supposed "wall street crooks" while you're at it too, poligaffers.

guarantee you the people hating on this company are the same people whining about banks without having any evidence for their claims. ah the koskrew aka poligaf

hahaha, yeah the financial institutions aren't corrupt immoral monstrosities, good one

maybe you are just ignorant to the thousands of articles about such institutions but here are a few to start you off

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-isnt-wall-street-in-jail-20110216

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-people-vs-goldman-sachs-20110511?link=mostpopular4

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/wall-streets-bailout-hustle-20100217

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...cashing-in-on-the-bailout-20110411?print=true

there is a reason these people aren't in jail

I will be happy to join any movement against this game. It shouldn't see the light of day and Blackwater shouldn't see a penny of any money arising from it if it does. Fucking mercenary scum. I refer to Private military organisations in general... they're hired armies, and I don't want them to have anything to do with this entertainment industry. I don't want them to have anything to do with this world actually.

Top Bottom