• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs you know that are excellent but you just hate the singer?

mcjmetroid

Are there songs that are you have a feeling you would like a whole lot more if they were sung by someone else? Or performed or produced by someone else?

I find that with a lot of pop songs of the past 2 decades there is an amazing song caught in a mess of modern crappy production or a singer that sounds like they're trying to audition for the voice and overdoing melisma notes and breathy singing. I find these songs in particular would be better off being sung by someone else entirely.
For me my song that I can think of right now is.

The singing is awful to me but the chorus and music is really good and I know I'm right because I've found much better covers of it online.
I will also say almost every single Christina Aguilera song as well.

I didn't hate the original but I by far prefer Kasabian's cover of Lana Del Rey's Videogames

To me It shows the untapped potential of some songs. At least for me.

The Offspring have some catchy songs but man I can't deal with the offkey wailing.
Check In The Offspring GIF by Audacy

Peggies

Gold Member
The Offspring have some catchy songs but man I can't deal with the offkey wailing.
Check In The Offspring GIF by Audacy
I wouldn't mind the offkey wailing if he could keep the time.
Are there songs that are you have a feeling you would like a whole lot more if they were sung by someone else?
Yes, every single song by U2. Fucking Bono.
Shakira sounds like a bleating goat even moreso when she sings in English and none of her songs are excellent. I said what I said
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

Wow a lot of LaBrie hate up in here. Ya know who else hated LaBrie? Mike Portnoy. And how did that work out for him?

(Portnoy pictured here backstage at an Avenged Sevenfold gig shortly before being kicked out of the band)
30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

Michael Jackson.
Wait... we're hating on the pedophilia right? Not the actual vocal?

GeekyDad

A.I. can fix all of the problems people are listing here.
Fix?

I'll go with "change," as sometimes (for me, anyway) there are things about it that can be quite pleasant.

And for me, I'd say Robert Plant. I just never could do it. Idolized Page my whole young life, but Plant's singing, man -- whew. And he has a great, strong voice -- but yeah, his out-of-tune-ness don't work for me personally.

Soodanim

Gold Member

The singing is awful to me but the chorus and music is really good and I know I'm right because I've found much better covers of it online.
I will also say almost every single Christina Aguilera song as well.

I have never ever paid any attention to that song, mostly because it's sung in such a strange way that I have to put effort into understanding what the fuck she's saying. The song is normally a collection of noises to me.

Even though it's not my sort of song, I went to look some some covers and you're right: they're better than the song as released. The first link below still retains some of the twang of the original, but it's still much clearer.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Start something by lost prophets. Was used in an Halo 2 montage by Walshy i think...

Well... Hate is an understatement.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Start something by lost prophets. Was used in an Halo 2 montage by Walshy i think...

Well... Hate is an understatement.
This and anything by Gary Glitter.

I remember the hardy bros having a lost prophets song montage. But yeah. Shit the lead singer well I dont really want to yeah…. Let just say he is a massive peado cunt and I hope he burns in hell

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Best-Bob-Dylan-Songs-of-All-Time.jpg

Probably the best songwriter of all time. I don't like his singing in 90% on his songs.
It's no mystery that he has a lot of covers that are more popular than his versions.
  • Make You Feel My Love
  • knocking on heaven's door
  • All Along the Watchtower
  • One More Night
  • Girl from the North Country
  • You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  • I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
  • Forever Young
and so on and so forth

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Fix?

I'll go with "change," as sometimes (for me, anyway) there are things about it that can be quite pleasant.

And for me, I'd say Robert Plant. I just never could do it. Idolized Page my whole young life, but Plant's singing, man -- whew. And he has a great, strong voice -- but yeah, his out-of-tune-ness don't work for me personally.
John Paul Jones is the best musician in Led Zeppelin IMHO.

FeralEcho

Paradise from Coldplay.Most yawn inducing rythm I've ever heard,makes me wanna sleep.Garbage song that idk how It got so popular.
Also any Maroon 5 song really.

Best-Bob-Dylan-Songs-of-All-Time.jpg

Probably the best songwriter of all time. I don't like his singing in 90% on his songs.
It's no mystery that he has a lot of covers that are more popular than his versions.
  • Make You Feel My Love
  • knocking on heaven's door
  • All Along the Watchtower
  • One More Night
  • Girl from the North Country
  • You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  • I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
  • Forever Young
and so on and so forth
Yep was going to say pretty much the same thing

Banned
a surprising amount of people naming Rush and Dream Theater...

I like Geddy Lee.
and at least on the 2 Ayreon albums he is on, LaBrie is also great 🤷‍♂️, not the biggest Dream Theater fan tho.

Last edited:

Tams

Paradise from Coldplay.Most yawn inducing rythm I've ever heard,makes me wanna sleep.Garbage song that idk how It got so popular.
Also any Maroon 5 song really.

I love Coldplay, but wherever their album after Viva La Vida was (I've deliberately forgotten it) was an absolute letdown. Even more so for me as I let myself get excited for it.

I believe that was the one they got Brian Eno to produce.

Top Bottom