• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 4 Ep 2 Screenshots - Features Sonic On Tails Action

qq more

I still think homing attack is stupid as hell in classic-style gameplay. It makes enemies and bosses way too easy to kill. The only way I'd accept this if they've designed a bunch of enemies that are designed to counter it in some way.

Lijik

I still think homing attack is stupid as hell in classic-style gameplay. It makes enemies and bosses way too easy to kill. The only way I'd accept this if they've designed a bunch of enemies that are designed to counter it in some way.

Homing Attack absolutely murders the challenge of boss fights. They definitely need those to counter them if homing is going to stay as a mechanic.

I'm a little disappointed that it's only four again. I hope it's going to be cheaper than Episode 1
hahahahaha

No way. You know Episode 1 had them laughing to the bank, right? You're paying $10 again (was it $10? whatever, you'll be paying [INSERT PRICE HERE] again). But I think you know that :p

Lijik

Fifteen bucks for 45 minutes of gameplay.
Crazy sonic fans will argue that this is a steal because if you compare it to prices in the 1990s, ... then... somehow it makes it an okay price... in 2012... through magic.

Lijik

Was there anyone that defended Sonic 4's original price point?

I remember there was definitely a few at Sonic Retro. I can't remember if anyone did on Gaf? There probably was one person, but I cant remember and i dont want to dig around any of the Sonic 4 threads

gosox333

That snow zone is looking better and better. It does look like it's the same zone as the amusement park zone (no surprise there, but I was hoping they were different), but this looks like it'll have at least one act dedicated to the snow/Christmas stuff. That's good enough.

I hope the music is better this time. 4's wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great like the originals. That might be nostalgia talking, though.

J@hranimo

Banned
So far the presentation is amazing. It looks like they finally nailed Sonic's running animation without it looking weird like in Episode 1.

Trailer next thursday? I'm so ready.

Um, yeah Tails' tails are not connected to his body.

6887166551_ef2c547a4b_b.jpg

qq more

Homing Attack absolutely murders the challenge of boss fights. They definitely need those to counter them if homing is going to stay as a mechanic.

ESPECIALLY the boss fights. Dear god, what were they thinking when they rehashed Sonic 1/2 boss fights and NOT modify them with anti-homing attack things?

Or better yet, make it so you can't use the homing attack on bosses like Megamix.

EDIT: I remember Huelen10 defending the price point...at least on AIM. He was civil about it though.

a nice touch if they kept it retro with his tails trailing, but seeing tails not in an actual ball kind of ruins the effect in a still screen.

Exactly. If they are actually going to be disembodied instead of just looking like they are trailing, then they might as well just drop that idea.

KevinCow

Banned
..how do you screw up sonic??

mind you i havent played a sonic game since like...2004
Watch the pokecapn and crew LP of Sonic 2006. I'd link it if I weren't on my phone, but it shouldn't be hard to Google.

Then you will understand how it's possible to screw up Sonic.

0 HP

I didn't mind Sonic 4 all that much, I've played much worse. I grew up playing Sonic and Seiken Densetsu obsessively so I'm used to game franchises that I love shitting in my face.

I hope they try to tie this in to Ep.1 (time travel) and there's no stupid team abilities a la Sonic Advance 3. Looks awesome though, this is the Sonic I want.

this boss from ep.2 is cool:

6791317907_4495a19a99_b.jpg

6791317541_65c3303ec9_b.jpg

qq more

RIZMU.png

anf2G.png

ilrXu.png

These are levels from the PSP Sonic Rivals games that nobody remembers or cares about. Look familiar?

Carnival Night
Icecap
Launch Base

...You're very lucky then.

You've missed out on HEDGEHOG WITH GUNS AND VEHICLES AND SWEARING!!! and uh... watch the Sonic 06 Let's Play. Worst.Sonic.Game.Ever.

SykoTech

There should definitely be an option to turn off the Homing Attack this time. That's how it was in Generations (you had to unlock it for Classic Sonic first and then choose to equip it). No reason they should continue to shove it in everyone's face here.

An option to use Classic Skins for Sonic and Tails would be smart too.

No surprise there's only 4 levels again. They aren't going to give people more without charging more, and they probably don't want to go over $50. This is why I hate buying games in pieces like this. Rather just get the full package from the start like with Rayman Origins.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No one remembers Sonic Rivals anyway.
That's cuz no one played Sonic Rivals.

No way. You know Episode 1 had them laughing to the bank, right? You're paying $10 again (was it $10? whatever, you'll be paying [INSERT PRICE HERE] again). But I think you know that :p
$20 because it uses new GRAPHICS and PHYSICS engines. :/

;_;

Here, I wrote a plot summary of Sonic 2006. It's cool.

Sonic has also explored time travel since Sonic CD. Sonic 2006 wasn't a good example. Sonic Generations, however, kinda sorta was.

I thought you were already a fan of Episode 1?

Also that bear badnik is making me hope this game has mini-bosses similar to S3&K. It'd make the 4 zone count less jarring.

Bah. Never saw the point in perfect pinball physics even the genesis games. I'm the weirdest sonic fan on GAF. My issues with episode 1 had nothing to do with the homing attack nor the the physics. They were simply with the music and how plastic everything looked. I still think it was a really good game and I still play it to this day.

I'm gald they didn't cave into the whining and returned to the classic model and I hope they kept the air dash and homing attack. What I would like to see is better shields, a better sense of going at real speed within the levels , that god awful smile sorted out and better music, although mad gear zone actually worked really well. The visuals are fixed so there is no point mentioning it.

Defo looking forward to ep 2 and it will be a day 1 purchase. As I've said before, I wish you classic only fans would stop thinking your opinion is the only one that matters. Some of us couldn't give a shit if sonic 4 is a perfect emulation of the genesis titles and just want to enjoy and anticipate our new game without reading your constant tantrums. Dont like it, fine . Just stop the whining. Fucks sake.

Iknos

Defo looking forward to ep 2 and it will be a day 1 purchase. As I've said before, I wish you classic only fans would stop thinking your opinion is the only one that matters. Some of us couldn't give a shit if sonic 4 is a perfect emulation of the genesis titles and just want to enjoy and anticipate our new game without reading your constant tantrums. Dont like it, fine . Just stop the whining. Fucks sake.

Yeah I think we should accept it when Sonic Team makes another shit Sonic game.

jman2050

No

At least for a game like Sonic 4 which is a sequel to physics-based platformers those sorts of complaints about controls and physics have more weight behind them than just basic nitpicking.

When I visited Sonic Retro a few days ago to read up about any Generations mods and looked into the Episode 2 thread out of curiosity it'd already descended into complaining about how the trees in the background of Aquatic Ruins look too similar to the trees in the background of that snow level. Now THAT is whining.

At least for a game like Sonic 4 which is a sequel to physics-based platformers those sorts of complaints about controls and physics have more weight behind them than just basic nitpicking.

When I visited Sonic Retro a few days ago to read up about any Generations mods and looked into the Episode 2 thread out of curiosity it'd already descended into complaining about how the trees in the background of Aquatic Ruins look too similar to the trees in the background of that snow level. Now THAT is whining.

2 sides of the same coin to me. I simply cannot see why its so important to have real world physics in a game that stars a anthropomorphic blue hedgehog that can some how run at the speed of sound, collects thousands of gold rings that disappear into seemingly negative space and has a main rival that seems to have a endless supply of metal and techincal knowhow to make traps and obstacles

"bububu thats what it was like in the classics...."

So the fuck what? Grow a pair and move the hell on if you don't like it. Sonic was ALWAYS for kids 8-10, was then, is now. Most kids that age wouldn't give a rats ass. Take your man-children complexes elsewhere. Don't like it, vote with your wallet.

NeoGaf is actually pretty tame, but the opinions i read on here still seem to come from the same mentality. Personally, if something I once liked was in my view consistently shit for 10+ years, i wouldn't even pay attention to it anymore. I would have long moved on with my life.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

What.

That's the last thing they should be complaining about at this point when we barely have info regarding how it plays.

Top Bottom