• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Boom: Review thread

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
you know I'm almost tempted to buy a copy because I got many hours of entertainment from this game already

What does one have to say after 20 years?

Memories of jumping, running and playing.

But sadly your new games confirm our fears

Sega, your owner, knows you aren't well and insists on staying

I remember a hedgehog stylish and quick

And traveling the world on adventures we had

But the new games are terrible and make me sick.

You made us young kids happy

We ran along Green Hills and Chemical Plants

But your new games are quite crappy

Sadly it seems Sega only listens to the sycophants

They love a company that puts you through the ringer.

We long for the days where we played long past

But Sega's treatment of you is quite the stinger.

We look on with our jaws dropped and aghast

Maybe its time to call it quits

The glitches in Sonic Boom make me wince

Big Red made a game that gives us the shits.

Its time to let go. Goodnight Sweet Prince

AdanVC

My god, those scores... I think this game is officially the Big Rigs Over the Road Racing of 2014 isn't it? Saniiiic :c

What does one have to say after 20 years?

Memories of jumping, running and playing.

But sadly your new games confirm our fears

Sega, your owner, knows you aren't well and insists on staying

I remember a hedgehog stylish and quick

And traveling the world on adventures we had

But the new games are terrible and make me sick.

You made us young kids happy

We ran along Green Hills and Chemical Plants

But your new games are quite crappy

Sadly it seems Sega only listens to the sycophants

They love a company that puts you through the ringer.

We long for the days where we played long past

But Sega's treatment of you is quite the stinger.

We look on with our jaws dropped and aghast

Maybe its time to call it quits

The glitches in Sonic Boom make me wince

Big Red made a game that gives us the shits.

Its time to let go. Goodnight Sweet Prince

BRAVO!!

From what I've played of this game it's a repetitive glitchy mess but it's by no means as bad as Sonic 2006. Considering I bought it because of how much of a disaster it seemed to be Im a little disappointed.

From what I've played of this game it's a repetitive glitchy mess but it's by no means as bad as Sonic 2006. Considering I bought it because of how much of a disaster it seemed to be Im a little disappointed.

At least with 2006 it tried to do something different with level design, this game just looks like it has a much slower pace. It's not even an average game, just something they half assed and put on store shelves. At least 06 tried.

Shaanyboi

Banned
saw a post the other day of someone VEHEMENTLY defending this unfairly belittled masterpiece of a game...

I had a good laugh

FLECKO

Worst than ´06 ? This game deserve a medal

8VTPPwO.jpg

From the team that brought you Sonic 06.
What was that, eight years ago? It's not even the same team anymore.

Not that I can recall. If anything they got bigger after reabsorbing Sonic Team USA.

The Sonic Team that brought us Sonic 06 is no more. They were completely flushed out for new, younger talent and Unleashed was the result of that. There's a reason Unleashed was legions better than 06, and why Colors and Generations turned out as well as they did.

Finally, some new reviews (Added to OP).

Destructoid - 5/10
The game could have used a few more months in the hopper and taken many more risks.

The Jimquisition - 2/10
One thing I’m sure of is that Sega ought to be embarrassed for pouring so much hype, so much marketing money, into this project, only to have a sad, miserable little dog’s dinner of a product to show for it. I guess it doesn’t matter, though. It’s an idiotic baby’s game for children, and it exists to sell toys. It also thinks you’re all dumb, and it wears its contempt for you on its sleeve. A sleeve covered in bandages.

Metacritic is now sitting at a 38.

crinale

Sonic Boom reminds me that I am going to die one day, and that I’ll probably die alone. I doubt I’ll want to die, but the fact I’m dying won’t matter, and the fact I lived at all will be even less important. We’re all going to die, and everything we spent our dank lives building, everything we’ve worked for, will be as ash in the wind. The people we’ve come to love, whose existences we’ve enhanced and impacted in some profound way, are meaningless, because one day they’ll all be dead too. Eventually, the Sun will expand to the point of annihilating everything on this planet, swallowing our entire history, wiping all evidence of humanity from existence. It’s all for nothing. It’s all so very pointless. Sonic Boom exists because we’re all going to die one day, and we don’t matter.

I loved this part.

maxcriden

Is this Eurogamer review new?

It's that confused scattershot quality that makes Sonic Boom most depressing. There have been bad Sonic games before, of course, but at least most of those felt like honest experiments, singular ideas that failed to work. Now, it feels like anything and everything is being thrown at the series in pursuit of "refreshing the brand" or some other horrendous marketing goal, but with no clear notion of what the end result is supposed to be, or who it's supposed to be for. The recognisable elements of Sonic - the tinkle of the rings, the whizz of a spin up a ramp - are all but drowned out.

From the constant bland corny quips to the 1990s 3D camera to the muddled yet monotone gameplay, it's a game that is horrendously out of touch, not only with its heritage but its modern audience. It's not just annoying to play, but it thinks it's being cool and funny while doing it. It's embarrassing, like a dad trying to breakdance at a wedding, or a newsreader doing a rap for Comic Relief, or someone saying "to the max" without a hint of irony. It's a middle-aged executive's idea of what is hip and cool with the kids.

This lack of direction is an especially ironic failing for a character who was once defined by his single-minded forward momentum. The time is clearly long overdue for Sonic to take a well-earned rest, get his breath back and only return once Sega has worked out where he's supposed to be going. It pains me to say it, but Sonic Boom needs to be the last noise we hear from the blue hedgehog for a very long time.

2/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

maxcriden

Another review, from Nintendo Life:

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is a worrying misstep for Sega. While we applaud the idea of refreshing the characters for newer audiences, Rise of Lyric feels like a mishmash of ideas that never got to fully develop. Big Red Button spoke enthusiastically about the development process throughout the promotion of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, which makes us think that the disappointing final product is a victim of being rushed out the door to accommodate the cartoon's release. As a result, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is recommended only for those starved for a new adventure platformer and patient enough to sit through the poor technical performance.

4/10

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/sonic_boom_rise_of_lyric

The Boat

I finally got the review copies some days ago, didn't have the chance to play it that much, but it's really, really poor. I mean, I disliked Lost World, but it was a problem of bad execution, this is just... bad. And not even in an entertaining way, it's just super fucking boring and annoying.

Where are the 1/10s

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/25/sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-review-fall-of-a-hedgehog-4961816/

"Possibly the worst Sonic the Hedgehog game ever made, which considering some of his previous lows is one of the harshest insults in gaming."

"A terrible camera, awful controls, unspeakably dull combat, insipid level design, ugly character art, broken graphics, serious bugs, and the terrible feeling that Sega hates both you and Sonic."

"The platforming sections are so impossibly incompetent it’s as if the last 20 years of game design never happened, with a camera of such breathtaking ineptitude it makes Bubsy 3D look like Super Mario 64. How something so broken and unfit for purpose can still exist in this day and age we don’t know but it’s matched by controls that are equally clumsy and unreliable. When walking in a straight line is one of the most difficult skills in the game you know it’s not just broken but completely beyond repair."

"The glue that’s meant to be holding all this together is the combat, although describing mindlessly jabbing the ‘Y’ button until your thumb falls off as combat is being far too kind. "

etc, etc

My man, David Jenkins

How much the rest of the game’s problems are due to budget and time restrictions we couldn’t say, but after all the bragging about being staffed by Naughty Dog (Uncharted and Jak And Daxter) veterans we can only assume it was the ex-tea boy and the caretaker…

We’re at a loss to think what else the game could get wrong, short of setting your Wii U on fire the moment the disc is inserted. Although you might as well avoid the risk and just set it ablaze yourself, which to be honest is a nobler death than the game deserves.

The platforming sections are so impossibly incompetent it’s as if the last 20 years of game design never happened, with a camera of such breathtaking ineptitude it makes Bubsy 3D look like Super Mario 64

Woooow

Just woow

now that's an insult

SykoTech

Just popped into this thread, and wow. Knew this game would most likely suck, but my goodness. This is really something else.

And they had a $20 million budget? WTF?

Clefargle

Ugh, what a piece of water trash. Sega and BRB obviously don't care anymore. Just sell the IP to someone that actually cares about making quality titles.

IrishNinja

coincidentally, i jacked a copy of Sonic Unleashed from my brother today (he doesn't really play it), weird to think how much better that one looks now in comparison.

coincidentally, i jacked a copy of Sonic Unleashed from my brother today (he doesn't really play it), weird to think how much better that one looks now in comparison.

Well sonic unleashed has combos attacks and chain combos.

And excellent day stages.
Unleashed was never bad , just flawed ( heavily flawed ), sonic boom however...

Dahbomb

Sonic Boom reminds me that I am going to die one day, and that I’ll probably die alone. I doubt I’ll want to die, but the fact I’m dying won’t matter, and the fact I lived at all will be even less important. We’re all going to die, and everything we spent our dank lives building, everything we’ve worked for, will be as ash in the wind. The people we’ve come to love, whose existences we’ve enhanced and impacted in some profound way, are meaningless, because one day they’ll all be dead too. Eventually, the Sun will expand to the point of annihilating everything on this planet, swallowing our entire history, wiping all evidence of humanity from existence. It’s all for nothing. It’s all so very pointless. Sonic Boom exists because we’re all going to die one day, and we don’t matter.

I said wow.

maxcriden

Nintendo Life posted their review of the 3DS game:

There's plenty to enjoy in Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, but it's nothing revolutionary. It's one of the better Sonic outings of recent times, but unfortunately that's not saying an awful lot. If you're a Sonic fan or you enjoy platformers, you can do an awful lot worse, and this may be one to grab should the opportunity or a bargain price arise.

6/10

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/sonic_boom_shattered_crystal

Shiggy

How come we still don't have any information on the development process of this title, giving more insights into what went wrong.

Top Bottom