• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD Coming to XBLA, playable at PAX

Sciz

TEJ said:
After years of people hyping up the non-american sonic cd soundtrack and finally hearing this, I let out a "what the hell, man". The lyrics seem like a big random jumbled mess. Sonic Booms lyrics at least have some consistancy.
The JP BGM is beloved more for the difference in the level themes than the OP/ED tracks.

I want to love Sonic CD, but the whole "Find the robot generator" thing is almost worse than Sonic Advance 2's "Find the 7 SP rings" thing.

AbsoluteZero said:
I want to love Sonic CD, but the whole "Find the robot generator" thing is almost worse than Sonic Advance 2's "Find the 7 SP rings" thing.

You....do?

You only have to find one thing instead of 7. And it's usually pretty easy.

I played this on Gems Collection, but I just rushed through it and had no idea what was going on with any of the mechanics in it (some random shit about time travel, and other stuff). I will definitely get this when it gets released on XBLA, and will definitely pay more attention to it.

XLant

Neo Member
AbsoluteZero said:
Not even close. The Sonic Advance series is the undisputed champ of bullshit when it comes to collecting. At least in CD you have the option of ignoring them and beating the special stages for the good ending instead.

Stupacabra said:
Sonic CD is a game that simply does not give up its rewards on the surface, and requires commitment and dedication to see its best. Almost no Sonic game captures the highs it hits - if you're prepared to go for the Good Future on every act. As I've said before, there really is no other way to play.
That's one of the things I really appreciate about CD; like all Sonic games there are several ways to approach it based on preference, but I don't think any other game in the series is as inviting in this regard. Time attack mode (the best in the franchise, and one I was hoping to see return in a similar format for future titles) will turn you into a speed-run king, clearing even the larger acts in under a minute with practice, with the exception of the last one. Platforming at top speed is more satisfying because you have to be mindful of obstacles and changes in terrain, but the controls are precise and you almost always have complete control. Platforming at slow speed is equally fun due to the vibrant visuals, insane jump physics and unique set pieces. It's a shame later games didn't make as much use of the pinball-esque physics found in this and Sonic 1. And any game that rewards you with a special screen saying "You Are Best Player" is alright in my book.

Not to mention all the bonuses and unlockables like the pencil test and D.A. Garden and ...this. Makes those fanfics floating around seem tame by comparison.

SonicMegaDrive said:
It depends on how you play the games, I think.
Completely. CD is "play-at-your-own-pace"; great for those that miss classic arcade-style score attacks (time attack mode, again), or like platformers that encourage- without demanding- exploration. There are some sights to see, but you're never forced into sightseeing.

DrFunk said:
No US soundtrack is unfortunate. I've always preferred it to the saccharine-sweet JP/EU version. But at least I get a chance to play one of my favorite Sega CD games.
Was there much competition? lol
Eternal Champions CD, wherefore art thou?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anth0ny said:
No Sonic Boom, no buy.

Well not really, but I'm pissed.
Yeah... I prefer Sonic Boom slightly more than Toot Toot, Sonic Warrior. I don't mind Toot Toot, but I grew up with Sonic Boom, so I'll miss it if it isn't going to be in there. JP/EU soundtrack overall is a good alternative to the US soundtrack. I would have preferred a toggle option, but I like the JP/EU soundtrack more.

ShadiWulf said:
Late 2011
Wonder if this is coinciding with Generations' release. That's a lot of Sonic at the end of the year...

cjelly said:
I'll buy it, but I always thought Sonic CD was really shitty, especially the level design. It was just all over the place.

This....also, I hated the time travel bit. Get a good, classic Sonic speed moment going, and bam, stop, sit through stupid time travel animation and then move to a crappier version of the level you were playing. It was so disjointed and jarring.

Spectral Glider said:
This....also, I hated the time travel bit. Get a good, classic Sonic speed moment going, and bam, stop, sit through stupid time travel animation and then move to a crappier version of the level you were playing. It was so disjointed and jarring.

It's a game mechanic, and an entirely ignorable one. You can get the good ending without utilising time travel even once.

Ew, I recommend unfiltered screenshots. There are so few 8/16-bit games that filters improve. In fact, there may be zero.

Edit:

For example, when you go by a “past” post, you have only a few opportunities and a short time to find enough running space to go into the past thanks to the poor level design that makes it hard to find any good place for a short speed run.

This is not poor level design - it's the entire point. It's meant to be difficult to get the good ending, as it should be. You have to scope out the level, and plan your route. It's my favourite part of the game!

RobbieNick

Stupacabra said:
Ew, I recommend unfiltered screenshots. There are so few 8/16-bit games that filters improve. In fact, there may be zero.

It's very hard to find decent screenshots nowadays.

This is not poor level design - it's the entire point. It's meant to be difficult to get the good ending, as it should be. You have to scope out the level, and plan your route. It's my favourite part of the game!

The difficulty should lie in finding the machine in the past, not as much in getting there. Also, IMO, the level design is just poor in general. There were times I'd go back into the future and the slight change in level design jammed me into a wall. There was also a level where the springs jammed me into a corner that I could not escape from. There are some levels that seem so cut and past. Like they were programmed with that Sonic game maker from SegaPass. Look at this screenshot..

http://www.segabits.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/scd-sonic-cd-2-600x418.jpg

Instead of a nice, uphill slope for running, this bit of ground shoots out. It looks very unnatural and ruins the flow.

Teknoman

TEJ said:
After years of people hyping up the non-american sonic cd soundtrack and finally hearing this, I let out a "what the hell, man". The lyrics seem like a big random jumbled mess. Sonic Booms lyrics at least have some consistancy.

They were talking about the main soundtrack, not Sonic Warrior opening.

TheOGB

Banned
RobbieNick said:
My question is why did they need to make two different soundtracks in the first place?
I thought it was because of an error with bringing over the JP soundtrack or something. Looking at the Sonic Retro page, I guess it was just a decision made by Sega of America.

So that doesn't do shit to answer the question :p

RobbieNick said:
My question is why did they need to make two different soundtracks in the first place?
Sega japan and sega america back then did alot of stuf independently of each other, and to each others anger. Which eventually lead to their fall.

projekt84

RagnarokX said:
I've always been the opposite. I appreciate Sonic CD over Sonic 1, but its level design is just too chaotic. I much prefer Sonic 2 and 3. To me 3 was the pinnacle of the franchise.

Exactly how I feel

Teknoman

blizzardjesus said:
Sega japan and sega america back then did alot of stuf independently of each other, and to each others anger. Which eventually lead to their fall.

Glad SoA stepped in with Sonic's design though.

qq more

AbsoluteZero said:
Coming from the fact I've experienced both... I can tell you that you are completely wrong.

Sciz

RobbieNick said:
Possibly because of the sampling all over the place in the JP music, but most likely because they didn't want to try and market a game that loudly and proudly exclaimed "TOOT TOOT SONIC WARRIOR" from the word go.

Wait its not going to have the american soundtrack? If its a licensing issue then how the hell was Nintendo able to use Sonic Boom for Smash Bros??

Eusis

Anticitizen One said:
Wait its not going to have the american soundtrack? If its a licensing issue then how the hell was Nintendo able to use Sonic Boom for Smash Bros??
Nintendo gives a shit about their $50 game?

Rich!

RobbieNick said:
It's very hard to find decent screenshots nowadays.

Download the Kega Fusion emulator, and put your Sonic CD disc into your computer. Voila, you can play it on the PC and get perfect screenshots.

Anticitizen One said:
They paid for one song not a whole soundtrack. I guess. Nobody really knows what's going on.

Top Bottom