• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces review thread

_Aaron_

Metacritic PS4 - 58/100
Metacritic Switch - 58/100
Metacritic Xbox One - 62/100

Polygon - 5/10
Sonic Forces creators' good intentions and interesting ideas don't amount to much in a game so clumsy and limited in design. It certainly doesn't help that Forces follows right on the heels of Sonic Mania, a game that not only demonstrated a more focused design sensibility but also did a far better job of realizing its creators' ambitions. Forces may have had a larger budget than Mania, but it feels like the poorer creation all around. Unless your dearest dream has always been to play a Sonic game as your own original fan art character, Sonic Forces doesn't have much to offer.

Famitsu - 35/40 (9, 9, 9, 8)

TSSZ News - 2/5
Sonic Forces has a strong story and stronger fanservice at the expense of inconsistent and, at times, outright broken gameplay that yields only minimal dividends. Replayability exists, but only the most patient will pursue.

Destructoid - 5.5/10
While I see potential in Sonic Forces, the execution just isn't there, especially with the Switch edition. In the future I really hope Sega reinvents the wheel, taking a more Mario Odyssey adventure approach. The whole level-based 3D "thing" hasn't worked out so frequently that it's worth a shot.

Metro - 4/10
Whoever this shoddily made platformer is meant to please it won't be those that like Sonic Mania, or any of the better 3D Sonic games.

Nintendo Life - 6/10
To answer our initial question, Sonic Forces hasn't managed to convince us that it is a must-play title in the series, but has at least alleviated some of our initial fears. A relatively short five-hour or so campaign, a lack of difficulty that ramps up unexpectedly on the final boss, and the non-coherent blend of 3D sequences, 2D sections and cutscenes make Sonic Forces a mixed experience, with positive moments undone by weaker areas.

GamesRadar - 2.5/5
This is a short game of short levels, yet desperately short of real ideas. It sacrifices everything for speed, while failing to offer any challenge beyond some sudden, stupidly unfair sections right at the end. And while there's some fun to be had in building and customising your avatar, thanks to an almost silly stream of new costumes and options at the end of every level, it's not nearly enough to keep you coming back for more. You'll have finished Sonic Forces in a day – and forgotten everything except the waste of money not long after.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5/5
What ends up holding Sonic Forces back is that it — ironically — moves too fast to leave any sort of lasting impact, speeding through both its plot and levels in short bursts instead of leaving more time for anything to soak in. Outside of its length issues, however, the gameplay is solid, the character customization is incredibly fun and the aesthetics are impressive as always. It kind of goes without saying that it doesn't hold a candle to Sonic Mania, which is still a must-buy and the one to pick if you somehow have to choose between the two, but it's still serviceable enough that fans may want to check it out. Here's hoping things slow down a bit for the next game, though.

Eurogamer
Though not without its moments, Forces is a depressing return to form for Sonic the Hedgehog after the joys of Mania.

Kotaku
Sonic Forces is messy. The story is a jumble of references and nearly incoherent plot points while the level design is scattered and frequently undermined by conceptual flaws. Messy games just aren't always the worst. This game plays out with so much infectious energy and excitement that it's hard not to smile while playing it. It's not very polished but Sonic Forces manages to find excitement in spite of rough edges. It's a playable Saturday morning cartoon: silly, janky but for a brief period of time, a fun distraction.

Game Informer - 6.5/10
Despite my multiple gripes with Sonic Forces, I still enjoyed the adventure. 3D Sonic games still aren't to where they should be after such a long time of iteration and experimentation, but through improved gameplay and level design, Sonic Forces continues the series' evolution in the right direction.

Easy Allies - 2.5/5
Sonic Forces doesn't ever reach the lowest lows the series has gone through in the past. Yet it also has almost nothing in it that leaves a lasting impression. It's the kind of game you can breeze through in an afternoon and then forget about immediately after. The customization in Forces is appreciated, but it's nowhere near enough in a game that lacks great ideas.

Push Square - 4/10
Sonic Forces is a disappointing step back for the franchise. Uninteresting level design and subpar gameplay on all three playable characters make for a game that can be frustrating to get through. The nonsense story is poorly written and makes more tonal shifts than Mariah Carey with an ice cube down her back. The game is perfectly fine for the younger audience it's targeting, and we're sure they'll enjoy it for what it is, but in the wake of Sonic Mania's tremendous success, the problems 3D Sonic has always faced are becoming much harder to ignore.

EGM - 7/10
Sonic Forces mashes together everything from Sonic's history, from 2D/3D mechanics to over-the-top action spectacle pieces. The new customizable hero feature breathes fresh life into the franchise, but the 3D gameplay it uses overpowers the game's attempt to combine what has made the different eras of Sonic work.

Windows Central - 8/10
Six years is a long time to wait for a proper sequel to Sonic Generations (we won't count the ill-advised Nintendo-exclusive games that came and went). Now Forces is here, and instead of nostalgia, it banks on the joy of customizing your own Sonic character and seeing him or her fight alongside Sonic himself. The famous weaknesses of the 3D Sonics are still present, but the sheer wealth and variety of stages and missions largely makes up for them in my eyes. Sonic Mania is undoubtedly a tighter, more exceptional experience; Sega should really allow that team to design the levels for the next 3D release! But if you missed the 3D Sonic experience and can tolerate some bland level design and roughness, Forces is certainly a worthwhile follow-up to Generations – especially for the reduced asking price.

GameSpot - 5/10
For years the Sonic series has come up short in its 3D games. It wasn't until Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations that the series was able to grasp a semblance of quality that could change the perception of the series as a whole for the better. Sonic Forces ultimately fails to advance the mechanics of previously successful 3D Sonic games, or present them in their best light. A mediocre platformer at best, Sonic Forces manages to do nothing more than reinforce long held stereotypes against Sega's beloved blue blur.

IGN - 6.9/10
On top of the joy of creating and playing as your own character, there's a lot of goofy charm that makes Sonic Forces hard to be too disappointed with. The graphics are colorful and engaging, and the music is a pumping backdrop for extreme team-ups, super-speed cinematics, and lots of ruminations on the power of friendship. There are some really fun levels in the mix, too, and surprisingly strong boss fights make for some unexpected highlights. But Sonic Forces doesn't build on its handful of good ideas as much as it should, and it screeches to a halt just as it seems to hit its stride.

Xbudz

That's a big difference in score between Polygon and Famitsu.
I don't really trust either of those outlets for reviews though.

Z..

Well this makes me sad. I really hope that we get more good games following Sonic Mania.
Sonic just doesn't translate to 3D. Generations is as good as we're gonna get. Should be quite telling that after so many different attempts the best we've ever gotten has been a game which is barely decent enough.

Just stop trying, it won't happen.

Vkandrew

Sonic just doesn't translate to 3D. Generations is as good as we're gonna get. Should be quite telling that after so many different attempts the best we've ever gotten has been a game which is barely decent enough.

Just stop trying, it won't happen.

It does seem to be that way. No matter how many times I get my hopes up I’m always let down.

dlauv

When the fuck has famitsu ever been accurate? 10 years ago?

Polygon is always in the same ballpark as mainstream western reviewers. Hang it up, Sonic fans.

This game looked like trash from Day 0. They should work on following Adventure's footsteps in bringing classic Sonic sensibilities to 3D -- especially since they have better tech now -- rather than focusing on this dead end boost gameplay.

Ostrava04

It's kind of sad that Sonic Team, A team dedicated to make Sonic games, are struggling to make good games. While a team of Sonic fans made, Sonic Mania, one of the best Sonic games ever :/

Keihart

After watching like an hour stream, story and music are on point but godamn those stages are short and look way too straight forward for my taste and Sonic moving like a truck when gaining speed and the absence of drift sound horrible...maybe i'll buy it at some point regardless, the music and story arc seems super hype.

Roufianos

I remember being called out in the early days for saying this looked almost as bad as Sonic 06. I honestly think the Metacritic will be around 50.

ZeoVGM

Banned
How is this franchise not dead yet? So many blunders.

Well, this franchise also includes one of the best games of the year.

The issue with the Sonic franchise is not that it's bad -- it's that it is completely inconsistent. The 3D games looked like they found a style that worked for them last gen. Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations were legitimately great games.

I'll even try to be fair and ignore the Sonic Boom games, as those are cartoon tie-in titles that were outsourced. But then Sonic Team somehow dropped the ball with Lost World on Wii U. That likely didn't hurt their good will too much, as it was on the Wii U and most people likely don't even know it exists.

But with Forces, it's the "true" high profile follow-up to Generations. And the problem is that all they did was take the gameplay from Generations (and Colors) but with worse level design, blander environments and, somehow, still awful controls for classic Sonic.

That's seriously all they had to show for? Six damn years after Generations, they put out a worse version of that game? And somehow still couldn't be bothered to make classic Sonic actually play like classic Sonic?

I don't remotely understand what they tried to do with this. I really don't get it.

On the plus side, this could make Sonic Mania even more likely than it already was.

Z..

Should of just made Sonic Adventure 3...

Should have, not of.

And no, oh god no.

The 3D games looked like they found a style that worked for them last gen. Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations were legitimately okay games.

Fixed that for you.

Billy Hatcher is still the best 3D platformer Sega has ever produced and even then it's just a competent 7.

At this point, I'd be completely okay if Sega just put all of their future Sonic development funding into Christian Whitehead's hands.

Getting a "Sonic Adventure Mania" (or just Sonic Mania 2) before the end of this generation would be brilliant.

ThaPhantom

They should take the style Sonic Adventure had and refine it. Sonic Adventure suffers more from poor technical issues than something like the level design. Tighten up the controls and camera work from Adventure, have fun and varied level design, and stick to the large scale fighting evil narrative without shoehorning in dumb stuff like a werehog or princess and I think you could have a decent 3D Sonic.

celsowmbr

Banned
Sega Japan needs to give the Sonic Franchise to Christian Whitehead and his friends. After all, he is "friend to pixels and polys alike".

So yes, I think he and the others retro guys can create a good sonic 3d.

The internet is ready to hate this game.
The "Mania = good, Forces = trash" narrative has been in place for about a year.
The internet media conveniently forget the high scores they gave to Generations and Colors when they talk about sonic just not working in 3d.
Trashing this game will bring in the clicks.
It's all about the clicks and the circlejerk of hate. You've gotta give the people what they want and any reviewer should be wary of giving this game a good score regardless of whether or not they enjoy it, if they care about their internet journalist credibility.
I expect some "I had fun but nitpick nitpick nitpick 5/10" reviews and also 1/10 from the likes of Jim Sterling.

The "Mania = good, Forces = Trash" narrative has been in place for about a year.
The internet media conveniently forget the high scores they gave to Generations and Colors when they talk about sonic just not working in 3d.
It's all about the clicks and the circlejerk of hate.
Expect 1/10 from Jim Sterling.

You're not wrong.

Unfortunately.

The "Mania = good, Forces = Trash" narrative has been in place for about a year.
If the game is trash, it will review accordingly. I got to play it at E3 and it was a miserable experience. I think "trashing the game" is justified.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Did jim hurt your feelings ?
You do know that the guy is just someone with an opinion right?

Saying mania is good and forces is bad is not that silly.

Have you tried the switch demo ?
Do you thing that demo showed you a good game ?

If the game is trash, it will review accordingly. I got to play it at E3 and it was a miserable experience. I think "trashing the game" is justified.

Some vocal people genuinely hate 3d sonic and have since Adventure. Fair enough, I have been arguing the merits of 3d sonic with friends who don't like them since adventure on the Dreamcast. Others are just on the bandwagon. "3d sonic suxx, mania roxx" is a nice safe way to establish yourself as a gamer of refined tastes on forums etc.

Some of us enjoy these games.
Reviewers enjoyed Generations, which is why it has a metacritic score in the high 70s. Colours has 78.
06 was a broken mess. Some others were mediocre but I still enjoyed them more than most modern games because the cartoon style, fast pace and catchy tunes appeal to me more than shooting foreigns in the face or driving a realistic car in 90 percent of big budget modern games.
I think it is a flaw with reviews really.
A game like this is either fun or it isn't. If it's fun one can live with flaws without nitpicking. A game can be janky but still fun or extremely well crafted but still boring. In my opinion the majority of modern 3rd person shooters and open world games fall into the latter category, but I appreciate that is just a matter of personal taste.

The internet always has these circlejerky threads about some game they have designated as terrible before release.

Maybe this game will be as bad as 06. If it is I won't defend it. The thing that annoys me is that most of these people decided it is trash a year before they played it and will continue pushing that narrative and willing it to be true every chance they get.

Soltype

giphy.gif

What are you doing Sega?

Its just sonic isnt it? Game is aimed at its pre-teen audience, sure westerners may pretend it to be cool at a older age (MLP, PowerPuff girls and recently Nintendo fans with youkai watch) but its still gonna sell to that audience due to parents.

Mania was a celebration, this game however like the Boom series is just sad for us who love what sonic can be. I really dont like this whole "internet vs sonic thing", trailers showed early on what this game is and what it was gonna end up as.

zeioIIDX

Did jim hurt your feelings ?
You do know that the guy is just someone with an opinion right?

I think Partious was merely saying Jim can be predictable with his review scores. Especially in this case, I mean come on...

I'm not surprised by the Polygon score, the game has not looked good to me in any showing of it. Like others have said, I wish they would just go with the Sonic Adventure formula.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The "Mania = good, Forces = trash" narrative has been in place for about a year.
It's all about the clicks and the circlejerk of hate. You've gotta give the people what they want and any reviewer should be wary of giving this game a good score regardless of whether or not they enjoy it, if they care about their internet journalist credibility.
I expect some "I had fun but nitpick nitpick nitpick 5/10" reviews and also 1/10 from the likes of Jim Sterling.

Please stop with the paranoia.

Colors and Generations were very well received. They received positive reviews and are looked at, overall, very fondly even here on GAF.

But Adventure 1 and 2 have aged badly. Lost World is a bad game. Sonic 06 is one of the worst games I've ever played. Unleashed is an average game where half of it is good and the other half is not.

Forces has almost never looked good in any of its showings. The "Mania = good, Forces = trash" narrative you speak of existed because Mania looked great from its unveiling while Forces has never had a good showing.

And now it looks like the game turned out to be bad. There is no conspiracy. Sonic 3D games are usually not very good, it's as simple as that.

Unknown?

I’ve read most places didn’t get review copies. So far we have two publications that aren’t credible.

Descendant

Neo Member
Should have, not of.

And no, oh god no.

Fixed that for you.

Billy Hatcher is still the best 3D platformer Sega has ever produced and even then it's just a competent 7.

Every day is a school day.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are good times...bad camera aside. I'm sure a Sonic Adventure 3 would be an improvement over what they've done with 3D Sonic games for over 10 years.

I just want a cheesy, but entertaining plot. With a cool Rock song at the end, is that to much to ask!?

synce

By now isn't it common knowledge that Famitsu scores are paid off? Always surprises me to see them brought up

dlauv

I'm positive that this is Iizuka's self-sabotage so that he can greenlight more projects like Mania.

He looked more gleeful signing those collector's edition boxes of Mania than he ever did talking about this game.

cuate

Banned
I just wish they made a full game out of generations 2d levels. Discard nuSonic and go back to the original chubby design.

Top Bottom