• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces : Story Trailer

Parfait

Adventure 1,2 and beyond all had an actual budget and professional developers working on them, so congrats they look better than some fangames.

I guess all these people are trying to translate 2D momentum based Sonic into 3D as a goof. Pack it in fellas Adventure 1, 2 and Sonic 06 already exist and they accomplish what you're trying to do.

Don't lump Sonic 06 with decent games. The single good thing about 06 was it's music.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Don't lump Sonic 06 with decent games. The single good thing about 06 was it's music.
These days the sa games shouldn't really be considered decent games. Just because something was ok at the time doesn't mean it's still ok quality these days in comparison to other things

Blue-kun

I just would like to note that I am currently very sad that someone in this thread mentioned Green Hill Paradise Act 2 as something Sonic Team should look at and strive to turn Sonic into. Like, Christ, with Utopia I can at least see the appeal, but GHP has to be one of the trashiest things I ever played. It's like people wish their games were janky, clunky, floaty and so on.

It's a game about using broken Sonic moves with the worst physics ever to reach places and find hidden Chaos Emeralds inside of a sandbox like environment. Doesn't get much more Sonic than that, huh.

As for the previous debate about the games tone, I dunno, man. I think Forces really isn't doing anything too edgy. I mean, OK, Eggman conquered the world and things are looking bleak, but it's all presented as a Saturday morning cartoon nonetheless. It's no Sonic 2006, and to be fair I agree that Adventure 2 drank way more of that koolaid than this game did. Let's never forget that beyond the human girl being murdered, it also featured an entire storyline packed with military and politics crap which was just embarassing. And if you need any more proof of how terrible the seeds planted were look no further than Shadow the Hedgehog. It exists because of all the setting crap that SA2 originally introduced and contains absolutely unforgettable moments such as a mission to KILL THE HUMANS' PRESIDENT, lolol.

God, I'm so glad we're past that phase.

Jagsrock

Banned
928010f54a924143f38d6b61d36e41b2--the-president-awkward-moments.jpg

Never forget

Fukuzatsu

I just would like to note that I am currently very sad that someone in this thread mentioned Green Hill Paradise Act 2 as something Sonic Team should look at and strive to turn Sonic into. Like, Christ, with Utopia I can at least see the appeal, but GHP has to be one of the trashiest things I ever played. It's like people wish their games were janky, clunky, floaty and so on.

It's a game about using broken Sonic moves with the worst physics ever to reach places and find hidden Chaos Emeralds inside of a sandbox like environment. Doesn't get much more Sonic than that, huh.

As for the previous debate about the games tone, I dunno, man. I think Forces really isn't doing anything too edgy. I mean, OK, Eggman conquered the world and things are looking bleak, but it's all presented as a Saturday morning cartoon nonetheless. It's no Sonic 2006, and to be fair I agree that Adventure 2 drank way more of that koolaid than this game did. Let's never forget that beyond the human girl being murdered, it also featured an entire storyline packed with military and politics crap which was just embarassing. And if you need any more proof of how terrible the seeds planted were look no further than Shadow the Hedgehog. It exists because of all the setting crap that SA2 originally introduced and contains absolutely unforgettable moments such as a mission to KILL THE HUMANS' PRESIDENT, lolol.

God, I'm so glad we're past that phase.

It's impossible to get any worse in this regard than Shadow the Hedgehog, I think. The route options and story threads in that game felt like someone at Sega looked at an SMT game and decided they wanted Sonic to have some LNC paths. 'SIDE WITH DEMON, SHOOT THE MILITARY' or 'FIGHT ON THE SIDE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS'.

Sami+

I never understood the huge response GHP got either tbh. Sonic's movement and animation looks really stiff and awkward, and the boost mechanic seems very one-note and janky. Level design wise I'd love something maybe just a bit more focused and smaller than Utopia, like those devs said they aim to create with the next demo. GHP is just comically huge, and some of the mechanics like using the orange hoop things for a top down platforming section was just... weird, and didn't work that well.

Utopia was the first game that really made me feel like I was playing the Sonic CD opening, and the animations and flow were the biggest contributing factor to that I think. GHP just looked like another Blitz Sonic fan game but with a better environment.

Top Bottom