• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations - Unleashed Project mod released (Unleashed stages in Generations)

Zeth

I think I broke my game install. Will probably have to redownload from Steam. Kept getting errors on launch, tried fiddling with everything, no luck. I think it might have to do with never having launched the game prior to installing the mod.

KNT-Zero

Got it, installed it, finished it.

HOLY SHIT this is the best mod ever in the history of everything made by humankind. The hub world, the levels, the shiny graphics!! Plus you get goodies if you e-mail the team pics of Wentos in the game.

Whoever these people are, they are my gods.

Berordn

I do have a minor complaint about the post-game unlockable, but I know it's not anything they can solve just because he's not supposed to exist in these levels to begin with.

It's a pretty fantastic project though. Even with the concessions they had to make, it's impressive that they got what they did.

I voted for Unleashed for having the best of 2008, and this just reaffirms that notion. The Hedgehog engine is the most underrated engine of this gen. It's like CryEngine for Pixar styled games.

iavi

That's very odd, does using the No Motion Blur mod included in the readme fix the problem? That could help to finding what the issue is.

I actually tried that last night, as it seemed like motion blur was the culprit, since the blurriness does fade in and out at times (At the beginning of a level, when sonic is gearing up, there's no blur, nor is there any on the title screen). Didn't work :(

I also updated to AMD's latest catalyst beta--13.3 beta 3. Didn't help either.

Some screens

Hedgehog engine for the most massively underrated engine this gen. Those screens are PHENOMENAL!

It's amazing how much current gen consoles were holding both Generations and Unleashed back.

Sonic Generations is 50% off on Steam today ($14.99). It's been cheaper on other sites, but $15 is still a great price.

header.jpg

SEGA unofficially supports this mod! :p

Finally got to play it -- Freaking amazing. It looks fantastic on my PC (which isn't the most powerful PC in the world, but handled Generations at max detail with a pretty-constant 60 FPS), and it makes me wish I hadn't played Unleashed on the 360 when I could've waited for this!

But....Savannah Citadel and I do not get along. XD

Dario ff

Banned
I actually tried that last night, as it seemed like motion blur was the culprit, since the blurriness does fade in and out at times (At the beginning of a level, when sonic is gearing up, there's no blur, nor is there any on the title screen). Didn't work :(

Thanks for the report. Back when this issue was first reported, it was only tracked down to Intel mobile cards, so we didn't really mind it since that line of GPUs is barely suitable for any game. So I was surprised to hear it would happen on an AMD card.

We have 7970 here to test only for the 7000 series, which doesn't seem to have the bug. I would think most of the 7000 series cards would share the issue then, not an specific model. The only thing you could try I think is just resetting the GPU settings to default, just to make sure no other odd settings were enabled.

In any case, we might do some post-release support for the regular renderer. We thought even supplying a 4th mod would be a big mess for explaining to people how to use it (What do I even have to enable here?), but I guess that now the first rush on the release is over, it's a bit more safe to do this. (Not to mention syncing both versions of the stages during development would've been hell)

Guess Who

Banned
I voted for Unleashed for having the best of 2008, and this just reaffirms that notion. The Hedgehog engine is the most underrated engine of this gen. It's like CryEngine for Pixar styled games.

Hedgehog engine for the most massively underrated engine this gen. Those screens are PHENOMENAL!

It's amazing how much current gen consoles were holding both Generations and Unleashed back.

Fun fact: the guy responsible for the Hedgehog Engine (and the director of Unleashed) is now at Square Enix leading development on the Luminous Engine used in Agni's Philosophy.

Dario ff

Banned
Would it be possible to make that no motion blur mod compatible with the regular game? It's really nice.

It requires some work on the levels. You see, level files have their own flags in simple XML format, and they all inherit them from a parent file. Sadly, the Generations team left over flags for motion blur enabled in every single level file. For the Unleashed Project, we took out the flags from the individual levels themselves and stuck it to the single parent file, to make it easily enabled-disabled with just ONE file.

There's no easy way to adapt it for a regular user, but it's trivial for me to do with a bit of batching if I get on it.

scitek

It requires some work on the levels. You see, level files have their own flags in simple XML format, and they all inherit them from a parent file. Sadly, the Generations team left over flags for motion blur enabled in every single level file. For the Unleashed Project, we took out the flags from the individual levels themselves and stuck it to the single parent file, to make it easily enabled-disabled with just ONE file.

There's no easy way to adapt it for a regular user, but it's trivial for me to do with a bit of batching if I get on it.

I see, interesting. Is there any way to do it by just unpacking/repacking the .cpk files myself and replacing certain files like I did with the HUD?

Dario ff

Banned
I see, interesting. Is there any way to do it by just unpacking/repacking the .cpk files myself and replacing certain files like I did with the HUD?

Well, the level files are just those you see with the numbers like 100, or 200 and a hashtag. For example, #ghz200, #cpz200.

You can easily open these files with the archive editor, open up SceneEffect.prm.xml, and search for the following line:
<MotionBlur>
<Category>
<Basic>
<Param>
<ms_IsEnable>true</ms_IsEnable>
</Param>
</Basic>
</Category>
</MotionBlur>
EDIT: This board doesn't like my XML indentation. :(

Simply change that variable to a false, and you're good to go. The level files are in both bb.cpk (ghz, cpz, ssz, sph, cte), and bb2.cpk(ssh, csc, euc, pla). For the sake of convenience of not having to repack that stuff for 10 minutes, you might want to look up how to set up a custom mod so you can just use it in SonicGMI. I have a template for one here. Setting up the mod is as simple as placing the level files in the folders they'd normally go.

Played a few levels and this mod is blowing my mind. If you told me it's official dlc I would totally believe it. Encountered a couple of bugs but who cares, this is amazing.

What a fantastic mod. Generations is awesome and left me wanting more and this delivered. I'm now even more hype for the next Sonic.

iavi

Thanks for the report. Back when this issue was first reported, it was only tracked down to Intel mobile cards, so we didn't really mind it since that line of GPUs is barely suitable for any game. So I was surprised to hear it would happen on an AMD card.

We have 7970 here to test only for the 7000 series, which doesn't seem to have the bug. I would think most of the 7000 series cards would share the issue then, not an specific model. The only thing you could try I think is just resetting the GPU settings to default, just to make sure no other odd settings were enabled.

In any case, we might do some post-release support for the regular renderer. We thought even supplying a 4th mod would be a big mess for explaining to people how to use it (What do I even have to enable here?), but I guess that now the first rush on the release is over, it's a bit more safe to do this. (Not to mention syncing both versions of the stages during development would've been hell)

Weird. Hopefully you guys are able to find the issue.

scitek

Well, the level files are just those you see with the numbers like 100, or 200 and a hashtag. For example, #ghz200, #cpz200.

You can easily open these files with the archive editor, open up SceneEffect.prm.xml, and search for the following line:

EDIT: This board doesn't like my XML indentation. :(

Simply change that variable to a false, and you're good to go. The level files are in both bb.cpk (ghz, cpz, ssz, sph, cte), and bb2.cpk(ssh, csc, euc, pla). For the sake of convenience of not having to repack that stuff for 10 minutes, you might want to look up how to set up a custom mod so you can just use it in SonicGMI. I have a template for one here. Setting up the mod is as simple as placing the level files in the folders they'd normally go.

Thanks, I'll get on that later tonight.

bhlaab

I hope Steam doesn't get mad that this accidentally triggered some achievements :\

Very well done, although a little busted in some corners where slight mechanics and physics changes between Unleashed and Generations conflict. Hopefully will get ironed out in later versions. Especially the stuff with QTE-paths that are seemingly unreachable.

Although a lot of my frustrations with it have more to do with the last half of Unleashed's daytime levels being of a slightly lower quality-- blind obstacles, precision platforming with controls clearly unsuited, etc. That final level is a total bitch and it probably isn't much better in the original.

Dario ff

Banned
Weird. Hopefully you guys are able to find the issue.

Someone on Youtube told me the 13.3 beta drivers are causing the issue, and sent me comparison screenshots. I guess that update must've affected other games? You could try rolling back the drivers to the latest non-beta version.

It's neat to play a version of these levels that run at 60fps with decent controls and no QTE's, yet this mod still just reaffirms my opinion that even the daytime stages of Unleashed needed far more polish with their level design. It always feels like you keep going from one extreme of just holding the boost button down while you have absolutely nothing else to do to the opposite extreme where you have finicky and punishing platforming sections in a gameplay style that doesn't accommodate slower platforming that well. Generations' Sky Sanctuary seemed to hit a balance between those two styles far better, but obviously that has nothing to do with the modders behind this and instead SEGA at the time still having to take babysteps towards a good 3D Sonic.

On the plus side I love the little regional costumes you guys gave the badniks and getting all the S-ranks is an actual challenge for once.

EDIT: There's also that other mod which had a level from Shadow the hedgehog (... for some reason?), Ice Cap and Sonic 4's Oil Desert in it I quite enjoyed the demo for, though I'm assuming the level assets and graphics are still quite a ways off. Were any of the modders who worked on Project Unleashed working on that?

Village

I need to buy generations for the PC first the shadow mod, then this...
man,

But Its on steam for 30 bucks.. bloody hell why did i have to get paid Friday, when the sale was on Wednesday

TheOGB

Banned
EDIT: There's also that other mod which had a level from Shadow the hedgehog (... for some reason?), Ice Cap and Sonic 4's Oil Desert in it I quite enjoyed the demo for, though I'm assuming the level assets and graphics are still quite a ways off. Were any of the modders who worked on Project Unleashed working on that?
Oh, the one by Melpontro?

Yeah, did he do any work on this project?

Dario ff

Banned
Oh, the one by Melpontro?

Yeah, did he do any work on this project?

We had the same moral support! But yeah Melpontro helped me playtest a lot and recorded all of our footage used in the 60 FPS Preview videos for each stage. He also gave me a sand texture I didn't end up using (the sand in Jungle Joyride was the same as the one in Sonic '06... just lower resolution for some reason in Unleashed).

Also, for the ones who missed the Steam Sale, http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SONICGEN/sonic-generations, for $7.50.

I've heard the Low-End mod might be causing more stability issues than I expected, so I might try to push a patch later on today to that specific mod and see if it helps.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

I'm using a Radeon 7850, and getting the same issue, alas. Aside from that the mod works great, so fantastic work and congrats to the team who did this.

scitek

I was able to mod out the motion blur myself, thanks for the help Dario ff. Is there a way to mod in new music to the SG levels?

Dario ff

Banned
I'm using a Radeon 7850, and getting the same issue, alas. Aside from that the mod works great, so fantastic work and congrats to the team who did this.
Like said above, it seems to be an issue introduced in the latest beta drivers. I've yet had someone notify me if rolling the driver back works tho. Our 7970 here doesn't seem to have the issue. Unless you're using the regular drivers, in which case, I guess we're out of solutions!

I was able to mod out the motion blur myself, thanks for the help Dario ff. Is there a way to mod in new music to the SG levels?
Sure, we have a guide over at retro for that.

DeVeAn

So been playing a lot of this. Everything was running smoothly but now that I look for the red rings I am getting crashes. I have to hard boot the system to get out. I think dying and restart a lot are the cause. Since I am actually looking for the RR's. Also I get that screeching loop sound when it crashes.

Could be me so I'll try other games and such see if I did something.

Edit: So it seems my wife set my PC to runs Performance in the BIOS due to a prompt CPU fan error. Switched it to defaults and will test again. Damn cooler master even though I installed it correctly it likes to give me the error if the fan boots at max RPM's from initial boot up.

iavi

Like said above, it seems to be an issue introduced in the latest beta drivers. I've yet had someone notify me if rolling the driver back works tho. Our 7970 here doesn't seem to have the issue. Unless you're using the regular drivers, in which case, I guess we're out of solutions!

I had the issue on 12.11 as well. It was actually because of the blur here that I updated to 13.3, which did nothing. Rolling back to the last stable release may do something, but I'm not going to go that far back.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
can you have this installed and play the original sonic generations levels aswell or does it overwrite everything ?

SOLDIER

So is there a way to play the modded Sonic Generations without having it override the original? I was kind of hoping I could simply select between the two while on Steam's Big Picture Mode.

iavi

For those of us who were experiencing the issue with blurring on AMD's 7900 series of cards, Dario's pushed an update to the FXPipeline shaders that corrects this.

Dario ff said:
For updating, you just have to select the FxPipeline Shaders mod from SonicGMI, and click on Download Update. If it tells you it's already up to date, yet the version number isn't 0.1.3, delete your Internet Explorer cache and try again (Windows shares it with direct URL downloads from FTP servers apparently). You can do that from the Control Panel > Internet Options, or go to the folder and clear it manually if you know where it is.

Sorry to bump this topic after a couple months of inactivity, but I released a mod for the Unleashed Project that tries to scale the S-Rank scoring system to be more in line with the way it was in the original Sonic Unleashed game.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/s-ranks-unleashed

If you had trouble getting good ranks before, this should make it a little easier (though you'll still have to put in some effort!)

Installation instructions and such are at the moddb link.

Tailzo

I'm a little late to this thread, but this looks fantastic :) I really enjoyed unleashed, but I enjoyed Generations even more, so this is amazing!

iavi

Sorry to bump this topic after a couple months of inactivity, but I released a mod for the Unleashed Project that tries to scale the S-Rank scoring system to be more in line with the way it was in the original Sonic Unleashed game.

If you had trouble getting good ranks before, this should make it a little easier (though you'll still have to put in some effort!)

The more people that know about this awesome mod, the better.

Really, really cool of you. Thank you. :)

Top Bottom