• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Origins announced

Fake

sonic_origins.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic CD all in one package with new features next year.

edit:

it seems they did confirm S3&K was going tobe widescreen but they used emulator footage as it isn't finished yet, it's likely Christian Whitehead is working on Sonic 3 & Knuckles widescreen, hence it will realease next year.

edit2:

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
If Taxman is behind Sonic Origins I can perfectly believe in Sonic Mania 2.
The current ports of the original games engine was his work, right? I hope that isn't it, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
I will likely buy it (again) just to show that we still care about 2d sonic.

mcjmetroid

I love classic sonic as much as everyone else but they released the ultimate package in Sonic mega collection years ago. Just rerelease that.

If they can do a good job with the ports I mean really put the effort in then I'll take it back.

Fix Sonic 2's multiplayer slowdown being a big one for me.

[Sigma]

Nice collection of Sonic games here. Been a long time since i've been through Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic CD

Saber

Gold Member
I'm already happy with the collection. The only thing I need to know is if they are still using MJ music on Sonic 3.

If they change them for Sonic 3 prototype music I would be 100% hype.

So essentially a collection of the worst Sonic games.

Yeah because retarded games like Sonic Forces and Boom are big deal right? Lmao, people these days.

it seems they did confirm S3&K was going tobe widescreen but they used emulator footage as it isn't finished yet, it's likely Christian Whitehead is working on Sonic 3 & Knuckles widescreen, hence it will realease next year.

Saber

Gold Member

Is it already confirmed that Whitehead is doing Origins?
If true I have nothing to worry, the guy is extremelly talented and competent.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If you're going to re-release a quick port of one of the old games, Colors is probably a good candidate as I don't think a lot of people played it and it's not bad.

But it's also not great. It's like Generations, an average game released after a bunch of failures so it looked good. I'm not excited really.

Sonic Zap appears to be the next true Sonic game. I am automatically skeptical of anything coming from Izuka at this point.

Is it already confirmed that Whitehead is doing Origins?
If true I have nothing to worry, the guy is extremelly talented and competent.
it's not confirmed if Taxman specificly is doing it, we don't know yet but it's very likely. it's just a theory after all. a GAME THEORY

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

YCoCg

it's not confirmed if Taxman specificly is doing it, we don't know yet but it's very likely. it's just a theory after all. a GAME THEORY
Do they even need to bring Taxman back? Sonic 1, 2 & CD have been reverse engineered and SEGA already have the Taxman version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (they just couldn't release it). So really all it would require is a small team to port the code to as many platforms as possible.

Do they even need to bring Taxman back? Sonic 1, 2 & CD have been reverse engineered and SEGA already have the Taxman version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (they just couldn't release it). So really all it would require is a small team to port the code to as many platforms as possible.
could also be that, it's just a possibility.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
So essentially a collection of the worst Sonic games.
Yeah because retarded games like Sonic Forces and Boom are big deal right? Lmao, people these days.
Let's just get this out of the way:

Best 2d and Old Gen Sonics:
Mania
3 and Knuckles
CD

Best of 3d and New Gen Sonics:
Generations
Colors
Adventure 2
Unleashed
Sonic Heroes

Best Handheld Sonic Games:
Sonic Advance 1
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Fire and Ice
Sonic Lost World 3DS

Oh hey look at that. I guess handheld wins in the end and the old/new console owners are getting mad over nothing. Who would have thought? 🤷‍♂️

nkarafo

I'm interested for the first 2 games in widescreen. For S3&K i already have A.I.R. I doubt the official release will be nearly as complete or feature rich.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
But but! What will I tell our fervent Sony fanatics who haven't been able to play the full, locked-on Sonic 3 & Knuckles since Sonic Mega Collection Plus?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm interested for the first 2 games in widescreen. For S3&K i already have A.I.R. I doubt the official release will be nearly as complete or feature rich.
Still legal..
And looking at the care in sonic 2 lost stage revive..

we might actually get something worthwhile
In 3 👌

Last edited:

nkarafo

Jam was pretty cool but come one, man.

Origins will have taxman ports with widescreens (even Sonic 3, it's confirmed by Sega) on your modern TV...
Taxman ports will have another cool thing.

More sound channels so you don't get instruments muted when random sfx fight with them to get priority. This was an issue with almost 100% of 8/16bit games. Taxman mobile ports didn't have this issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom