• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Rush Adventure - A New Venture

RK128

sonic-adventure-rush_NDS_US_ESRB.jpg

Ah, back to the Rush series :).

Its nice talking about the rush series again for the Sonic Retrospective :D.

Sonic Rush Adventure released in 2007 and it added a lot to the series. Sudo-hub world, boating mechanics, sub-levels to unlock, and a larger story compared to the original. Does the added content help enhance the strong formula? Or does it add too much fluff? Lets boost through and find out :D!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Not sure if any development history is present for this title, outside of the original Sonic Rush being really successful for SEGA and Sonic Team, leading to them giving Dimps two years to make this and allowing Sonic Rivals to have some breathing room on the PSP (though.....it came out at a bad time :(). One bit of trival that is really cool, is that Nintendo published Sonic Rush Adventure in Japan! I guess they really loved the game, so they wanted their name on it too :D.

Sonic_Rivals.jpg

Rush Adventure is noteworthy as we visit Blaze's world for the first time in the Sonic series and we meet a few new characters; a robotic captain named Captain Whiskers (who looks VERY similar to a Egg-shaped man.......) and a lovely new friend called Marine the Raccoon. She......is annoying, to put it lightly :l.

629807af228ce759e247732fb02cbf76.jpg

The story here is that Sonic and Tails are sucked into a tornado and crash land on a island. They meet Marine and Tails puts together a boat allowing Sonic and company to explore the other islands to see what is going on. They bump into Blaze, explaining they are in her dimension, and they hunt for the Chaos Emeralds/Soul Emeralds while stopping Captain Whiskers at every turn.

latest

Once all the Emeralds are collected, we are treated to the SHOCKING announcement that......the Eggman were behind it all :l. That was totally not expected or anything ;).

Super Sonic and Burning Blaze take them out and the day is saved with Sonic and Tails going back home.

Fun little story that while annoying at points (.....Marine :l), is still very enjoyable. It was nice having Blaze interacting with Sonic and Tails often, as she really bounces off them very well. Completely open to her joining Sonic & Tails on more adventures in future games! Doesn't really happen, sadly, but still, love her character and would like to see more of her.

1079607-bigthumbnail.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - -

Gameplay is 1-to-1 like the original Sonic Rush; Sonic and Blaze can boost, have their R tricks/moves (Sonic's homing attack works better here compared to the original Rush though), and the physics are more or less the same.

The difference, is the level design. We got a lot more platforming, fewer bottomless pits, and even more fun boosting sections. Dimps learned from the original Rush regarding the level design and it shows in spades.

sonicrush_inline_1190066307.jpg

Every level also has unique gimmicks that I really love. Blizzard Peaks for example has Sonic/Blaze riding a snowboard, Coral Caves has you going into 3D at points to control a mine cart, Sky Babylon is very platforming focused; every stage plays with the 3D features of the DS more and it really makes things even more fun then they were in the original Sonic Rush :).

bIb6QbO.gif

The 3D boss fights are back too, with them playing with the 3D elements a lot more. The boss for Blizzard Peaks for example has you on a block of ice fighting a robotic whale. After some attacks, he opens its mouth, sucking you in. Then you play a little 2D level to find a weak point then fly out of the whale.

EAZxfnX.gif

They are really dynamic, leading to them being a blast to fight :D!

Gameplay also has traveling elements with the boats, with you controlling them like how you controlled Sonic in the special stages. You slide the bottom screen left and right to move, double tab to boost or attack and swipe on the screen when jumping over ramps to score more tricks.

sonicrushadv3.jpg

The jet ski ones are a ton of fun, the hovercraft is simple but offers fun shooting, the sub and battleship are more or less shooting areas where you tap the screen to attack objects. They can be really fun and it leads to the backtracking to be enjoyable.

- - - - - - - - - - -

B-Backtracking? Why YES! In order to explore the world, you need to collect parts in the stages, and you get them through higher ranks. Tails can build more boats to ride in, but you need X amount of items. Every zone offers different items, and you have to get X amount to make specific boats and built plot-important items.

If you enjoy replaying the main stages over and over a few times, this really isn't much of an issue.

Just something that needs to be pointed out, as it IS a major design change from the original Rush.

Before going into presentation, lets talk about special stages; they are gone.......but not really. See, instead of warping into the specials stage, a robot named Johnny got the Chaos Emeralds when Sonic & Tails got sucked into Blaze's dimension.

latest

So, when you find him using the Wind Waker-esc map system (different ships have unique travel distances and you can only reach different areas based on the ship; hovercraft can hover over rocky areas for example), you use the Jet Ski to race him to the finish line.

latest

These are very, very hard :(. Never got all of them due to the difficulty honestly. But, they are easier to access then Advance 2 and Advance 3.....to they are a winner in my book :). Blaze gets the Soul Emeralds through completing boss missions (game has a mission system) in the hub world.

latest

- - - - - - - - - -

Presentation in this game is very impressive, with greater usage of 3D compared to the original Rush and 3D Stage gimmicks being used far more often in core level design.

The story also has more focus, so the stills are very expressive and story is decently written.

The music also needs to be highlighted, as while the soundtrack isn't by the Jet Set Radio guy anymore, it still sounds great.

Plant Kingdom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfbeTec9lcM&index=3&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Machine Labyrinth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyohrveucxI&index=4&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Coral Cave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8AcStf42bg&index=5&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Haunted Ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKKXB1j3OxE&index=6&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Blizzard Peaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Vs71-H0v4&index=7&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Sky Babylon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsDVRJMYEYE&index=8&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Pirates Island: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYDwQ5dZSlk&index=9&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Water Bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwJNGzzMU_Y&index=14&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Sailing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mgj3U2bU8g&index=13&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Sea Map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8RVx5DJXc&index=18&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL
Deep Core (Final Boss): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CsRLwnOSY4&index=46&list=PLvNp0Boas720tj1lWYIOohCHSPR13BICL

And, like most major Sonic games, we got a vocal theme song! A New Venture.......such a great theme song XD! So cheesy but so Sonic :').

The entire soundtrack is more traditional Sonic, so I really love this soundtrack. The original Rush is more catchy (I mean, who cannot love Chao rapping XD!), but still, this soundtrack rocks.

- - - - - - - - - - -

This game is a great sequel to Sonic Rush and it does a lot right. Great focus on story, some fun level designs, great music and presentation and even better boss fights; what's not to love :D!

The Rush series concludes with this game, with it sorta continuing with Sonic Colors DS and Generations 3DS gameplay wise, but this is it for the Rush series. Great ride that went out on top :).

- - - - - - - - - - -

The next game for this retrospective......man, I've been WAITING to rip this a new one for a while now.

Lets all enjoy its amazing soundtrack and chronicle this upcoming brotherhood ;).

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Nice write-up :)

Love the two Rush games. Blaze is the best "Sonic friend" introduced since Tails. Shame Sega seems to have forgotten about her.

I didn't really like this game. The boat parts slowed the game down too much for me.

I got this game for five dollars when the DS was on its death bed with the 3DS launch.

RK128

Nice write-up :)

Love the two Rush games. Blaze is the best "Sonic friend" introduced since Tails. Shame Sega seems to have forgotten about her.

Thank you :D!

Blaze really is one of the better characters in the Sonic series :).

I didn't really like this game. The boat parts slowed the game down too much for me.

I got this game for five dollars when the DS was on its death bed with the 3DS launch.

I can understand the bolded buddy :(. That is why I put that section in the OP; not a problem, but something that can annoy people.

I got the game twice, once in 2008 and again in 2011 (as I lost my original copy somehow :l).

Mr-Joker

Banned
These are very, very hard :(. Never got all of them due to the difficulty honestly. But, they are easier to access then Advance 2 and Advance 3.....to they are a winner in my book :). Blaze gets the Soul Emeralds through completing boss missions (game has a mission system) in the hub world.

Have you fully upgraded the jet ski, it becomes easier if you do.

I freaking love this theme as I blaze the level as Blaze, which is funny as she's is scared of heights but she's perfect for level as she is immune to the fire.

RK128

Have you fully upgraded the jet ski, it becomes easier if you do.

I freaking love this theme as I blaze the level as Blaze, which is funny as she's is scared of heights but she's perfect for level as she is immune to the fire.

Y-You can UPGRADE it O_O!

No WONDER those special stages were harder X(. Will try this later; thank you :D!

Its cool that Blaze got a sudo-fire shield here :).

Zyrox

I'm not a huge fan of 2D Sonic games (no, not even the classics, couldn't get into them), but I really enjoyed the Rush series, with RA being my favorite of the two. I liked its more open ended structure and the mission system. Also Blaze is legit the best "shitty friend". I'd be totally down for her appearing in future games.

RK128

I'm not a huge fan of 2D Sonic games (no, not even the classics, couldn't get into them), but I really enjoyed the Rush series, with RA being my favorite of the two. I liked its more open ended structure and the mission system. Also Blaze is legit the best "shitty friend". I'd be totally down for her appearing in future games.

Happy you enjoyed the Rush games :D!

Blaze if one of my favorite Sonic characters, so I would like her to appear in more games in the future too :).

Astral Dog

No WONDER those special stages were harder X(. Will try this later; thank you :D!

XD

nooo. you should play the final/ex boss, its cool except for
Marine
, that boss reminded me of how the Eggman secret boss became some kind of mech or weird machine instead of the more typical Eggrobot seen on earlier games, now the common "last" boss.

ZeroX03

Banned
I really dug Rush Adventure, even with the seafaring stuff. Prefer it over the first one, main stages were just plain better.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I actually just bought this based on your Rush write-up. It's really fun, but I feel as if the jetski levels detract from the game - they're more tedious than anything when you simply want to get to the more compelling gameplay of the main stages. Marine is also an abomination and the complete opposite of Blaze, who is a welcome addition to the cast - Marine is the WORST Sonic Friend added since ever, and that's saying something when Sonic has some pretty bad "friends" (Rouge).

I'd still love a third Rush game with a playable Knuckles.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Bought this and finished it on release day. Great game and a wonderful sequel. Story wasn't as good as Rush 1 and some of the side stuff was kinda unnecessary but it didn't hurt the game too much.

WPS

I didn't play this as much as Rush, but it was still pretty decent. I'm not the most fond of how a lot of things that were free in Rush, such as level progression or the sound test, are now gated behind padding in the form of vehicle stuff and missions though.

The sound track is amazing, even if Rush has it beaten there too. Haunted Ship and Blizzard Peaks are my favourite, and every level has its own unique invincibility theme.

The game was rated as 12+ due to foul language in the UK. It's probably thanks to Marine the stereotype's use of "bugger", but I never worked out what the lyrics in the boss music were meant to be, and it still sounds like:

Sonic Rush Adventure said:
No fuckin'

No fuckin'

Beefsteak-a
Beefsteak-a rockin'

to me.

Marow

For some reason I've constantly looked at this game but never played it. Maybe it's time to change that.

MrBadger

I think the exploration and boats in Rush Adventure are pretty underrated aspects, and would be praised a lot more if Sonic wasn't a franchise infamous for shitty tacked on gimmicks. The submarine sucks, but the jet ski and hovercraft are great fun, and it's cool how many hidden bonus levels there are as well. I played this game around the same time as Phantom Hourglass, when stylus controlled boats were the in thing, and this game's boats blow that one's out of the water.

Bosses in this game are all super unique as well. You have the one where the camera goes behind Sonic and you run towards it, and when you fight the game's resident Eggman stand-in, he's not in a mech or anything. You just straight up fight him. That actually surprised me, despite it being pretty minor.

Speaking of minor stuff, it is kind of funny how the character design clashes with the dialog. They act like the pirates aren't robots (clearly made by Eggman), and it's treated as a plot twist that Sonic's new Rival Johnny is working for Whisker. For fuck's sake, he's a robot with the pirate logo on his chest!

Then again, this is the same franchise where people mistook Shadow for Sonic. Yeah, I played Rush Adventure a lot so I notice completely irrelevant things. Really good game, though. The level design, music and 2D visuals are slightly worse than the first Rush, but the bosses and 3D stuff are all top notch.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Ha ha, yeah that was my reaction when I discovered that the jet ski could be upgraded.

All the boats were pretty fun...ish, oh but the submarine was dumb :(

Yeah the Submarine is the worse one, I have no idea how it works.

The game was rated as 12+ due to foul language in the UK. It's probably thanks to Marine the stereotype's use of "bugger",

That's why I can't hate on Marine as I find it funny that little cute sidekick caused the game rating to be bumped up to a 12+.

I have no idea what possessed Sega to make a character who's main trait is to be annoying and useless.

The ending confuses me.
Marine shoots... a water projectile thing at the big bad somehow? Since when could she do that and why is it never brought up again afterwards? It is seriously one of most egregious uses of deus-ex machina that I've seen in this series, and that's really saying something.

MrBadger

I have no idea what possessed Sega to make a character who's main trait is to be annoying and useless.

The ending confuses me.
Marine shoots... a water projectile thing at the big bad somehow? Since when could she do that and why is it never brought up again afterwards? It is seriously one of most egregious uses of deus-ex machina that I've seen in this series, and that's really saying something.

I suppose it was easier than animating her throwing a rock or something to distract Egg Wizard. I didn't read too much into it.

Marine is a pretty worthless, annoying character, but she had a few nice scenes, like after they defeat Whisker and she gets the sceptre back, but accepts that she won't get credit for it. It was nice that there were a few signs of her showing maturity and I wouldn't have minded her character arc continuing. But that's also around the time Dimps started making Sonic Team Lite games. Character development is rarely a thing in Sonic unless the character is a dead robot.

Top Bottom