• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Sanjuro

I AM JOHN! said:
It's still a fantastic kart racer, though, and a WAY better game than Sonic R ever was... It's just soulless.
If you swapped dates then I would agree with you. If anything remotely close to this came out and substituted Sonic R then it would be a different story. The game and genre is just so old right now. I mean even ALF has a kart racing game somewhere in the world.

WillyFive

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
If you swapped dates then I would agree with you. If anything remotely close to this came out and substituted Sonic R then it would be a different story. The game and genre is just so old right now. I mean even ALF has a kart racing game somewhere in the world.

I'd rather play a kart racer than the kind of racing games that are popular today, because at least kart racers are fun and exciting.

dark10x said:
It is a bit soulless, but I always felt the same way about 3D Mario Kart games (especially the Gamecube and Wii versions).
I love Double Dash!! :(

I'll give you MKWii, though. It's like they didn't even try.

Sanjuro

Willy105 said:
I'd rather play a kart racer than the kind of racing games that are popular today, because at least kart racers are fun and exciting.
I don't find them very fun and exciting any longer. There hasn't been one really different or unique since Mario Kart 64.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
ColonelColon said:
This is where the argument becomes sort of... murky to me, if you will. Are we debating whether it's feasible that Sega will implement these changes, or whether we personally feel that they should implement these changes? It isn't ludicrous to say that the black-eyed, slightly rotund Sonic is much better looking than the current iteration of Sonic, regardless of how unlikely it is that Sega will bring it back.
Indeed. I'm not a zealot either when it comes to classic Sonic's design. In fact, I think modern Sonic looks pretty damn cool sometimes, like in Unleashed. But if asked which I'd prefer, I'd no doubt choose classic design over modern. It's an aesthetic choice that's by no means a deal breaker either way, but it can be nice little superficial touch for Sega to consider. Pure fan-service wouldn't hurt.

Nintendo apparently sees the value of having different Marios for different occasions, all co-existing in the same marketplace. Each design fits the given project perfectly:

n3u89h.jpg

Sega will likely never take the Nintendo route though, probably out of fear they'd mess up the good formula they got going (financially). But I think in this case, diversifying their icon's image (for specific projects and audiences) might actually strengthen the brand as a whole.

Odrion

Banned
I can agree with a lot of the criticisms about the Sonic franchise but his design isn't really one of them, and I think this criticism comes from a mixture of nostalgia and associating the new design with bad games rather than any valid point.

Ten-Song

I AM JOHN! said:
It's still a fantastic kart racer, though, and a WAY better game than Sonic R ever was... It's just soulless.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

I AM JOHN! said:
I love Double Dash!! :(

I'll give you MKWii, though. It's like they didn't even try.

I never liked the stupid tag team mechanic, and a lot of the tracks felt really bad.

But then again, I never really played Double Dash at length. Think MK DS and the original SNES game were the only ones I ever played for an extended period of time.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Catalix said:
Indeed. I'm not a zealot either when it comes to classic Sonic's design. In fact, I think modern Sonic looks pretty damn cool sometimes, like in Unleashed. But if asked which I'd prefer, I'd no doubt choose classic design over modern. It's an aesthetic choice that's by no means a deal breaker either way, but it can be nice little superficial touch for Sega to consider. Pure fan-service wouldn't hurt.

Nintendo apparently sees the value of having different Marios for different occasions, all co-existing in the same marketplace. Each design fits the given project perfectly:

n3u89h.jpg

Sega will likely never take the Nintendo route though, probably out of fear they'd mess up the good formula they got going (financially). But I think in this case, diversifying their icon's image (for specific projects and audiences) might actually strengthen the brand as a whole.
I just noticed that Mario has blue eyes.

jman2050

HeresSomeWeapons said:
Wow. Who FUCKING cares? Is it going to make the game less fun? Does that automatically mean that the game will suffer from poor level design? No, it sure as hell doesn't. There were plenty of situations like this in the original trilogy, but no one gives a damn. Once something from the old games appears in a new game, it suddenly becomes poison for it to ever be used again.

Every once in a while I come back to this thread because I actually expect intelligent discussion to be taking place, but no. I'm a fucking idiot for thinking that. Whenever actual news comes up, it gets discussed for all of 5 posts, and then this thread just descends back to the same whining, negativity, and bullshit about the same minute details that has dominated it for 131 pages now. How many times is someone going to bring up the color of Sonic's eyes before everyone just gets the fuck over it? It's not going to happen. And it's not even SEGA's fault anymore - nothing they can do, even if they did something 100% undeniably right, will ever be welcomed by you people. I have now learned to never underestimate the passion and determination of Sonic "fans" to absolutely always find something trivial to complain about, and it's fucking disgusting.

Pot, kettle, etc etc

Anth0ny

After being directed to Sonic Megamix, I'm convinced that I've played the true Sonic 4 and that there is no way in hell Sega can top this game.

Everyone that's bitching should give it a shot. If you have a Sega CD, you can actually burn it onto a CD and play it on your TV :D

RagnarokX

HeresSomeWeapons said:
How does being able to hit a spring from any angle and have it work make the game less fun? That's how that mechanic should work. Did you wish to be able to just stand on the spring and not go anywhere? Because I don't recall being able to do that, ever.
The way Dimps has used such springs in the past makes their games more of a ride than a game, and their use in Sonic 4 appears to be no different. It's not the springs perse, but how Dimps makes level design and gameplay so dependent on them.

Iknos

HeresSomeWeapons said:
How does being able to hit a spring from any angle and have it work make the game less fun?

I like this post. Discussion. Better than name-calling.

What it does is make the game play like it's on "auto-pilot".

Platforming is about jumping around in a level. About making choices on where you want to go. About making an effort to beat the level.

Auto-spring is an auto-pilot that takes you through the level for you.

Just press right and you will beat the level.

Pressing right to beat a level is not exciting.

That's how that mechanic should work.

If you want an easy to play game that even infants can get into yes...it is. If platformers are too hard for people...if they can't figure out this whole "jumping" thing...yes this mechanic should work this way.

For those who are remotely familiar with platformers it shouldn't work this way.

RagnarokX said:
The way Dimps has used such springs in the past makes their games more of a ride than a game, and their use in Sonic 4 appears to be no different. It's not the springs perse, but how Dimps makes level design and gameplay so dependent on them.

Yes.

This is more succinct. Thanks.

RagnarokX said:
If there was a stretch of the level which was nothing but bouncing from spring to spring then I would say you have a point. But we haven't seen anything that indicates as such. What we DO have, is leaked footage of a guy running through the first level and deliberately jumping over the springs and boosters he came across, which shows that they are definitely not necessary for gameplay if you'd rather not use them.

But I specifically remember a stretch of Emerald Hill Zone where you would hit a spring, and it would bounce you to the right at full speed as spikes rise and fall behind you, and then at the end of this stretch there is a hidden spring in the ground that bounces you up to the next section. I don't understand why it's OK for this to exist in 1992, but it's not OK for it to exist now. It's EXACTLY the same thing as you're describing.

And while we're on the topic of the boosts, and people freaking out over them being in the game, why does no one have the same hate for the boosts in Metropolis Zone? Or Hydrocity Zone? Or the Death Egg Zone? Personally, I think the Death Egg Zone takes the cake for awful use of boosts that play the game for you, but on the whole, that's still a great level.

Iknos said:
If you want an easy to play game that even infants can get into yes...it is.
...Because hitting a spring should totally be an arduous task that only gaming's elite should be able to succeed at. That's what it sounds like you're saying right here. I still fail to understand how hitting a spring at 45 degrees and having it bounce you somewhere ruins the game. A spring is a spring. If you hit it, you're going to end up somewhere else.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sonic R was pretty bad, but I loved it because it let me actually put Sonic's running to use :D though his other friends weren't too shabby of runners, either.

EVERYBODY'S SUPA-SONIC RACING GOTTA KEEP YOUR FEET HIGH OFF THE GROUNDDD
EVERYBODY'S SUPA-SONIC RACING THERE'S NO TIME TO LOOK AROUND

lol the music in the stages was awesome.

I had it for PC, so needless to say it was near impossible to unlock everyone as a child with crappy keyboard arrows.

Anyway

Mr Jared

"Super Sonic Racing" is an unlockable song in Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing. You can now enjoy the best part of Sonic R in a game that is actually good! :D

Iknos

HeresSomeWeapons said:
But I specifically remember a stretch of Emerald Hill Zone where you would hit a spring, and it would bounce you to the right at full speed as spikes rise and fall behind you, and then at the end of this stretch there is a hidden spring in the ground that bounces you up to the next section. I don't understand why it's OK for this to exist in 1992, but it's not OK for it to exist now. It's EXACTLY the same thing as you're describing.

You answered your own question there.

"a stretch of Emerald Hill Zone"...a small portion of the game. Not all levels were designed like it. If the entire game was like that it would have been boring as hell.

It's ok for this sort of stuff to pop up once in a while. Hydrocity/Flying Battery/Death Egg all had them...but most of the level was based on platforming and other gimmicks. In Death Egg some of those boosters were traps too. There was so much to Death Egg like the changing gravity and the killer elevators and electric floors that it was only a part of a variety of stuff happening.

Don't expect to convince you of anything but I hope this at least shows you that we aren't busting a nut for no good reason. The eye color thing is blown out of proportion but that's more of an example of how Sonic has changed in a direction away from his past. The most important change is in regards to gameplay.

...Because hitting a spring should totally be an arduous task that only gaming's elite should be able to succeed at. That's what it sounds like you're saying right here.

I was jokingly referring to your implication that dumbing down the game is a good thing.

I still fail to understand how hitting a spring at 45 degrees and having it bounce you somewhere ruins the game.

Because it does all the work for you.

Can you imagine Mario being rushed through a level with springs that he has no choice but to hit?

That's not gameplay...that's a roller coaster ride.

Anth0ny said:
After being directed to Sonic Megamix, I'm convinced that I've played the true Sonic 4 and that there is no way in hell Sega can top this game.

Everyone that's bitching should give it a shot. If you have a Sega CD, you can actually burn it onto a CD and play it on your TV :D

Now that is fucking rad. I will be doing this!

Caj814

Mr Jared said:
"Super Sonic Racing" is an unlockable song in Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing. You can now enjoy the best part of Sonic R in a game that is actually good! :D

Everybodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Iknos said:
Because it does all the work for you.

Can you imagine Mario being rushed through a level with springs that he has no choice but to hit?

That's not gameplay...that's a roller coaster ride.

So...how would you propose springs function then? Or are you advocating removing springs completely? I don't even know any more what particular spring we're arguing about that everyone is so up in arms over it being in a Sonic game. We have hardly any footage, but as I mentioned earlier, the footage that we do have shows the player skipping most of the springs and boosts. Isn't that what we want?

So, again, what evidence do we have that the game is a spring-fest like you fear? From where I'm standing, the evidence points in exactly the opposite direction.

Willy105 said:

What? Kart racers are whats popular today. MKDS and MKwii are basically the 2 best selling racing games of all time. Hell they are 2 of the best selling games period.

Nobody else, really? I understand it, but wow.

10.jpg

sonic4bubblesstill.png

Bubbles is balloon fish type robot who returns back from the ruins of the Angel Island. Due to Eggman's budget cuts, not all version of Bubbles are spiked. However, watch out for the red ones!

sonic4bubblesavatara.gif

Avatar for someone who wants it, GAF legal.

The next timers are a week away, same concept art and badnik slots. Let's hope GDC opens up the site a little more, because this is getting pretty stupid, I'm sorry.

Ranger X

The footage is not bad at all. It actually gives A TINY LITTLE BIT of faith on this game.

There was something feeling sort of slow though. I don't know how to explain or I can't exactly find what element of the game is giving me this feeling but it's like Sonic weights to much or something, he feels "heavy".

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Wrath2X said:
I've lost all interest I had in this game.
Ditto. It's gonna take something major to stir me up again.

Catalix

Wrath2X said:
Not likely though.
^ That's the biggest reason why I don't care anymore.

I don't even hate it, really. Just totally apathetic at this point. It's just... there :/

WillyFive

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I don't find them very fun and exciting any longer. There hasn't been one really different or unique since Mario Kart 64.

Neither have Driving Sims since Gran Turismo. I am not sure what you are looking for in a genre, but there have been plenty of unique games in the series.

The LEGO racing games added the ability to design your own car and RPG mechanics for it. Double Dash allowed co-op for the same car. Mario Kart Wii introduced tricks. Modnation Racers introduced making your own tracks, etc.

AdventureRacing said:
What? Kart racers are whats popular today. MKDS and MKwii are basically the 2 best selling racing games of all time. Hell they are 2 of the best selling games period.

Which is causing a resurgence of them lately, like Sonic and Sega All Stars, Modnation Racers, and Blur. But for the past decade, it has been the Driving Sims that have been popular and everybody has been trying to make and hype for.

Sanjuro

Willy105 said:
Neither have Driving Sims since Gran Turismo. I am not sure what you are looking for in a genre, but there have been plenty of unique games in the series.
I've played plenty of fun racing simulations since Gran Turismo.

this Genesis Sonic fan over here is completely lost of what is going on with the message boards... I enter I a read insanity... I want to remain sane but still curiosity compels me to enter and see WTF is going on.

now... this Sonic 4 protest by buying Sonic 1 has got me going what? like Steve Austin ... WHAT?

RagnarokX

Cool, bubbles is one of the best badniks in Sonic 3, imo.

So that brings the badnik list to motobug, newtron, buzzer, masher, bubbles, bat bot, asteron, and shellcracker.

RagnarokX said:

So that brings the badnik list to motobug, newtron, buzzer, masher, bubbles, bat bot, asteron, and shellcracker.

They chose the wrong Marble Garden badnik. I wanted the bouncy-spikes-crab thing. One of the best badniks ever.

The more that I look at the Sonic 4 site, the more I spot missed opportunities, and little nagging annoyances. I don't know if the person who works on the site reads this thread; I know that RubyEclipse pops in from time to time and I hope may point them to this, but it would be great if they could consider a few tweaks to how they've developed it. Now, things like this go through layers on layers of approval, and this can't be the only thing on the webmaster's plate to work on, I realize, but I've tried to keep to some hopefully realistic ideas that may improve the feel of the site.

(Note that this is not a critique of the game itself, the webmaster has to work with what he or she is given.)

• Change the backing black to a lighter blue, like the Japanese Sonic 4 site. No need to echo the giant FLV they use as a backdrop, but the heavy black feels sort of crushing for a game this bright and colorful.
  • Don't auto-start the teaser, or start it but stop it after one play, instead of looping it infinitely. It would be nice, and probably easier on your servers, if you put a still image there instead with a "Click to Play" that linked to the teaser, but having it play non-stop every time the page is opened gets annoying, especially if people are supposed to be checking back time and time again.
  • Fill in or remove most of those pointless "?" blocks. Hopefully a GDC-timed update will address this anyway, but if it doesn't, it muddles the site so much as it currently is. On the side bar, excise those rows that you aren't showing yet anyway, maybe with a final note of "More coming soon!" at the bottom. That big block under the Sega Pass logo, where the Podcast image is going to go? Until then (unless that's coming as of GDC), what if it just randomly linked to one of the recent updated items? It could show the animated badnik with its name below, or a thumbnail of the most recent wallpapers or icons. The big boxes you can't get rid of, like on the Featured Characters page? It would be nice if you embedded a rough guess at when they're going to open up, like "Coming April". I know changes in plans can delay reveals like that, but for now they're just dead spots on the site.
  • If you're going to update with items as small as a single enemy and a piece of concept art, update once a week, at a regular time. None of these random countdown times, sometimes three days, sometimes seven, sometimes ten, usually not representative of the actual quantity of content you're going to post.
  • If you're going to update with the concept art and the actual enemy or item at the same time, maybe could you play "Who's that Pokémon?" to get people guessing. Along with the clear concept art of this week's enemy or element, show the next one planned for update as blurred or pixelized, so people can sort of make out what it is, but not exactly. They'll start digging through old enemy and object lists to try to guess what it is. It'll work out even better when the updates eventually reveal something new nobody was guessing at.
  • It's not clear what kind of pool of assets you have to work with, but even with what you've already used, and hopefully if you have the same still images used in the teaser trailer, there is a lot of potential for simple-to-make extra content people will appreciate. Knocking together a couple of 100x100 and 50x50 icons would take so little time, and spread all across instant messengers and LiveJournals and message boards. I've made a few for this site doing nothing but shrinking down and flipping the animated badniks, and people have been happy to take and use them. Wallpapers take longer, but even just a few simple ones would really add to the site, more than just the logo only one currently up. Concept art in the top right corner, little humorous collection of the rendered badnik images in the bottom left would be a great, easy framework, for instance. Like three Bubbles floating around, but the middle one with spikes out (if you have that). Or Sonic jogging away from two Motobugs, and so on. Updating these things along with the current week's reveal would really help people jump on the hype train more. (Not so much GAFfers, but others out there.)

I know this post won't make a lot of sense to some GAFfers, but I would like this game to have the best chance it can get, whether it squanders that chance or not remains to be seen. It's very possible GDC will mark a major shift in the site and most of this will become moot anyway, but I wanted to share these thoughts just on the chance that it stayed business as usual after the conference.

RagnarokX said:

Judging by the line-up on the site, we only have one more

Aaron Strife said:
Judging by the line-up on the site, we only have one more

The number of boxes on the site isn't equal to the number of badniks in the game. The site doesn't list some of the ones we know about, and they just add a new box each time they put a new countdown up.

riceandbeans said:
Sure there are.

Stupid would be one.

And I'd like to see some new badniks already.
I been thinking and I believe that sega just can't design classic any more, too many egg pawns on the brain, so they are just going back and remaking older stuff, mixing them together etc.

Top Bottom