• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

You know, it's been a few years and with all this talk about Sonic 06 I almost want to go back and play it and Shadow the Hedgehog. Almost. Don't think I'm gonna do that to myself, though.

qq more

I'm doing the complete opposite, I'm playing a game that is likely going to surpass one of my 10 favorite games of all time.

Razzer

When it gets down to it I'm in the continuous process of playing the best game I have ever played so I'm good for a while. Feels good, and with more great ones in the stocking it only gets better. I really don't know why some people do it to themselves.

Yeah, I just played Bastion to completion (good game), am halfway through Dust: An Elysian Tail (also a damn good game), have Braid as my next game (from what I hear, a damn near masterpiece), and have the original Deus Ex and Baldur's Gate II down the line to play. I'm finally getting my gaming mojo coming back after horribly burning out earlier this year. Something tells me that Shadow and Sonic 06 would just burn me right back out.

Edit: And I'm also playing FF VIII on the side. Ain't got time to be playin' shitty games!

TheOGB

Banned
Shadow the Hedgehog is my favorite terrible game. But even I can only take 3 levels at most in one sitting.

All things in moderation, folks. Stay safe this holiday season SonicGAF, and maybe play something that doesn't make you want to curl up and cry.

Sciz

You're the best, Falk.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #86
Christmas Week!

Song: Super Mario Sleigh Ride
Game: Super Mario World
Composer: Koji Kondo / Various
Arrangement: Dale North and Mustin

There are Christmas medleys, there are Mario medleys, and then there's this. The way the two sources aren't just mixed up but layered together is magnificent; you'd think Koji Kondo did all his composition in December while watching snow fall, or that the Christmas classics were all secretly chiptunes. The fact that everything but the sleigh bells is a live performance only adds to the effect.

Razzer

You're the best, Falk.

Christmas Week!

Hmm, pretty decent. It's typical mario stuff, enjoyable without being exemplary. And I've heard that super mario world melody in so many things I'm frankly sick of it lol.

Rikkun

Hi.

Merry Christmas.

edit: I just received a phone call informing me that it's not actually Christmas. Well, whatever.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-765-1381989335-10.gif

How I feel after listening

BHZ Mayor

I've had a certain sound effect stuck in my head and I couldn't remember what game it was from. I eventually remembered it, but I thought it would be interesting to see if someone else can figure out what game I'm thinking of just off this description.

The sound effect is something like BWOOP BWOOP BWOOP BWOOP BWOOP.
The only things I could remember is that it's caused by hopping across something and each BWOOP is a higher pitch than the last.

What game am I thinking of? Bonus if you can tell me what situation in the game I'm describing.

I thought about making a thread about this, but I'm not sure if sound effects translate to text well enough to sustain a thread.

Rikkun

I've had a certain sound effect stuck in my head and I couldn't remember what game it was from. I eventually remembered it, but I thought it would be interesting to see if someone else can figure out what game I'm thinking of just off this description.

The only things I could remember is that it's caused by hopping across something and each BWOOP is a higher pitch than the last.

What game am I thinking of? Bonus if you can tell me what situation in the game I'm describing.

I thought about making a thread about this, but I'm not sure if sound effects translate to text well enough to sustain a thread.

First thing that came to mind is some weird noise made by robots in TimeSplitters 2.

Good luck!

PKrockin

My guess, spoilered for no reason:
Deku Link hopping across water in Majora's Mask?

TheOGB

Banned
You're the best, Falk.

Christmas Week!

There are Christmas medleys, there are Mario medleys, and then there's this. The way the two sources aren't just mixed up but layered together is magnificent; you'd think Koji Kondo did all his composition in December while watching snow fall, or that the Christmas classics were all secretly chiptunes. The fact that everything but the sleigh bells is a live performance only adds to the effect.
I fucking love The OneUps, and that medley always manages to put a smile on my face.

Is it Crash Bandicoot hopping on crates over a gap?

OMG Aero

You should make a thread where people record themselves making the sound of a sound effect and people have to guess what it is.

Sciz

Welcome, welcome.

And yeah, we've heard it. I'm still impressed by how good it is. It's the sort of thing I was secretly hoping the Sonic 1 and 2 demo tapes would sound like (they didn't).

TheOGB

Banned
We'll give it a few months before we start encouraging you to play 06. Seriously though if you haven't already played Sonic 06 just don't.

Oh hey, Sonic discussion! What's your favorite Sonic game? Mainline and/or otherwise?

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #87
Christmas Week!

Song: White Hare
Game: Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - Holiday Hare '98
Composer: Alexander Brandon

There's no man alive who writes music like mid-90's/early-00's Alexander Brandon, which sadly includes modern day Alexander Brandon, but his body of work from that era is seriously some of my favorite music, and all the more impressive for being done in tracker formats. There's a lot to be said for his synth work in particular, which you can hear in damn near everything he wrote, and this piece's easy groove is no exception.

Noi

I'd only ever played SA2 Battle on the GC, so I had no idea that Big made cameos like that in the original version. Scared the shit outta me too when he pops up in the PSN version, even with the Battle DLC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm serious! We went to the Tim Horton's and they're running out of chicken, beef, turkey, soup, timbits, doughnuts, etc.

They have lots of coffee and hot chocolate?

BlackJace

It's gonna rain on Christmas where I am. Should be interesting, as it hasn't happened in forever.

We'll give it a few months before we start encouraging you to play 06. Seriously though if you haven't already played Sonic 06 just don't.

Oh hey, Sonic discussion! What's your favorite Sonic game? Mainline and/or otherwise?

Sonic 2.

Introduction of Super Sonic and Tails, stage variety, Mystic Cave Zone, etc. it may not be the "best", but it's definitely my favorite.

Razzer

Sonic 3 & Knuckles, for reasons gone over many times here. My second favourite game of all time. And this is despite Sonic 2 being the one that got me into the franchise.

TheOGB

Banned
My favorite's also Sonic 2. It's more bearable to replay to me than 3&K (or rather, it's less overwhelming), and has my favorite zone in Chemical Plant. Plus dat music. It might not be Michael Jackson or The Jetzons, but it's damn good.

Favorite non-mainline is a tie between Sonic Battle and All-Stars Racing Transformed. They're both hella sweet, tons of fun.

Razzer

My favorite's also Sonic 2. It's more bearable to replay to me than 3&K (or rather, it's less overwhelming), and has my favorite zone in Chemical Plant. Plus dat music. It might not be Michael Jackson or The Jetzons, but it's damn good.

Favorite non-mainline is a tie between Sonic Battle and All-Stars Racing Transformed. They're both hella sweet, tons of fun.

I'd like to see a top tier fighting developer take a crack at the customizable character angle. Making it balanced would be hard but the whole card system with emerl had the potential for great depth, the problem with battle was making 2d sprites fight in a semi-3d arena. I still enjoyed it, but the lost potential there saddens me. Transformed on the other hand is Kart racing bliss.

Top Bottom