• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Layton had the drawing power therefore his plot tropes won out, Wright just couldn't hang brother.

Layton's WCW-tier storylines ruined Ace Attorney's! It also made me hate Layton and his stupid hat!

1u2hl.gif

Sami+

"Nintendo didn't need to C&D that Metroid 2 remake, sure it's legally ok but it's kind of a dick move to fans"
"No it devalues the brand, they have to they have no choice it's the right move"
"But SEGA embraced the Sonic fangame community instead of shutting it down"
"YEAH BUT SONIC IS POOPY GARBAGE AND THE FANS ARE WEIRD AND NOBODY CARES ABOUT SONIC"

Getting really frustrated with this site, not gonna lie.

Sami+

On most sites I don't really care, I didn't bother watching the IGN thing because it really doesn't matter either way. Just kind of annoying to see so much on GAF is all.

I like to think we were almost having a more positive Sonic shift around here a few years back, and then BAM! (or Boom)
Sonic Boom happened, a turd of that calibre isn't forgotten easily.

Sami+

I like to think we were almost having a more positive Sonic shift around here a few years back, and then BAM! (or Boom)

I agree, that's why I'm pretty positive the tone of the conversation will change if Mania and 2017 are both great. It's been sad to see the shift from "actually the recent games have been good" to what we're getting now after the Lost World to Boom double whammy. It's not a big deal but only gets annoying to me when the conversation becomes completely reductive and uninformed.

I do like to think that Sonic Mania and whatever the 2017 project is about will elevate the discussion again somewhat.
In the meantime with GAF we can relive our youth through the forever war of Mario and Sonic.

A WILD SCHALA APPEARS :D

Like finding a Chansey in the Safari Zone, complete with immediate fleeing.

Sami+

On a different note I'm playing Unleashed again for the first time since launch for an LP (I'll post the link here later when I start uploading) and man it really sucks that this game never got a PC port. I'd love a better late than never one like they did with Valkyrie Chronicles but I don't see it happening. :(

The game runs like flaming ass garbage on PS3 and it's really dampening my enjoyment of the game, because I'm actually really into it so far.

RK128

On a different note I'm playing Unleashed again for the first time since launch for an LP (I'll post the link here later when I start uploading) and man it really sucks that this game never got a PC port. I'd love a better late than never one like they did with Valkyrie Chronicles but I don't see it happening. :(

The game runs like flaming ass garbage on PS3 and it's really dampening my enjoyment of the game, because I'm actually really into it so far.

I don't think it runs like garbage on PS3......with the only cases being Eggmanland & Jungle Joyride where I get annoyed with the performance on the game. It becomes unplayable at points in those stages and impacted my enjoyment of the game.

It runs fine mostly otherwise to me though, but the 360 version is the most stable release (with a capped 30FPS, making the frame drops much less server).

RK128

I was surprised with how positive the Retrospective threads where; I did get some 'Sonic sucks' or 'the series should die' comments every now and then, but it was largely positive discussion.

But recently, the only positive Sonic thread was Cool Guy Sami's Sonic Lost World OST thread and maybe the Sonic 1 Has issues thread. Otherwise? Just toxic discussion after toxic discussion on Gaf regarding Sonic.

Honestly debating if I will just put future Sonic Retrospectives in this thread or on my own Wordpress in the future.......

Tizoc

It's not worth it

The demo wasn't worth it

It's not even the entertaining kind of bad after they patched the Knuckles glitch, it's just dull and mediocre.

Regardless it's from the team behind some of my fav. PS2 platformers.
I gotta play it bas a matter of principle.

TrueBlue

I was surprised with how positive the Retrospective threads where; I did get some 'Sonic sucks' or 'the series should die' comments every now and then, but it was largely positive discussion.

But recently, the only positive Sonic thread was Cool Guy Sami's Sonic Lost World OST thread and maybe the Sonic 1 Has issues thread. Otherwise? Just toxic discussion after toxic discussion on Gaf regarding Sonic.

Honestly debating if I will just put future Sonic Retrospectives in this thread or on my own Wordpress in the future.......

Nah, don't be silly. You've been committed enough to the retrospective to not let some shitposters stomp on your fun.

RK128

Nah, don't be silly. You've been committed enough to the retrospective to not let some shitposters stomp on your fun.

If anything, they will be posted here in the community thread worse comes to worst :). You guys show a lot of respect and love for the series, so not going to let some pricks ruin my fun!

But I'm going to be honest, I'm a bit sick of the toxic bile aimed at the series in the gaming section of Gaf.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Boom Wii U is trash, particularly after it got patched. Don't bother.

On most sites I don't really care, I didn't bother watching the IGN thing because it really doesn't matter either way. Just kind of annoying to see so much on GAF is all.
I'll give you the same advice I gave myself after years of being fairly into the forum, and then transitioning into being pretty hands-off and only checking it out every now and then:

Don't care so much. It's not worth it.

It's a forum that's changed quite dramatically over the decade-plus, and quite often the discussion you had read prior to registering is not going to be the same after you have registered and started actively posting. People are going to have oddball opinions, or outlandish posting styles, and that's not something that's worth occupying your time with or getting frustrated with. People will be hyperbolic because it's either what they genuinely believe, they have a forum persona to live up to, or they simply want attention/to be tagged. It's something to either outright ignore if that's the poster's style or MO, or take into consideration and weigh your options as to whether or not you want to care so much. Nine times out of ten, after seeing the same comments posted over and over (and usually by the same people), it starts to go in one ear and out the other.

The same series are going to have the same amount of hyperbole thrown at it, particularly if they are long running, or if they have a lot of dud games. Point is, it's not worth it to get worked up about it because it's a thread on a discussion forum that's going to blow in the wind when someone eventually kills the thread/people move on. You have better things to spend your time with.

Like finding a Chansey in the Safari Zone, complete with immediate fleeing.
Haha. People know where to find me.

And certain people know what happened to my family and I for the last year, so I didn't have time to post at all. Even putting the SotY 2015 thread up at all last year was kind of a miracle.

I'm still rather disgusted that racist woman pretty much got away with it, too.

But, well, you appear to be in a far better place now, so I guess that cloud has a nice silver lining.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At least she's being evicted due to her own actions. :^)

Either way, even if my family's lives were ruined for a year, I got super-deep into depression, and I had to take an extra semester of school because of everything... I still probably wouldn't take this year back? I learned a lot about myself, and having to outright 100% take care of my family's finances, bills, and well-being made me grow up a little, I guess.

I already forgot if I mentioned it in the thread, but I updated the OP with a link to the SonicGAF discord.
At least she's being evicted due to her own actions. :^)

Either way, even if my family's lives were ruined for a year, I got super-deep into depression, and I had to take an extra semester of school because of everything... I still probably wouldn't take this year back? I learned a lot about myself, and having to outright 100% take care of my family's finances, bills, and well-being made me grow up a little, I guess.
I heard bits and pieces, but not the whole thing. Glad to hear things have gotten better, even if only slightly. My family is only now moving on from the horseshit my aunt put us through, except karma hasn't gotten her yet.

Kid Heart

If anything, they will be posted here in the community thread worse comes to worst :). You guys show a lot of respect and love for the series, so not going to let some pricks ruin my fun!

But I'm going to be honest, I'm a bit sick of the toxic bile aimed at the series in the gaming section of Gaf.

Same. I think were still just dealing with the aftermath of Boom reception's though since we haven't had a mainline Sonic game since its' release. Assuming 2017 and Mania are good, or at least decent, I fully expect this phase of reactions to the series to pass among the general masses. In the meantime though I'll probably come here to chat about the series more often.

Sonic Boom Wii U is one of the main reasons I want to get a Wii U actually.

It's really not very good. I say this as someone who was still interested in the game and wanted to give it whirl even after hearing all the negative reception. Sonic Boom just really starts to drag after a while, especially with the annoyingly slow to navigate second hub world. If you just want to play a generic 3D platformer there are plenty of games you could do way better with.

Sami+

I don't think it runs like garbage on PS3......with the only cases being Eggmanland & Jungle Joyride where I get annoyed with the performance on the game. It becomes unplayable at points in those stages and impacted my enjoyment of the game.

It runs fine mostly otherwise to me though, but the 360 version is the most stable release (with a capped 30FPS, making the frame drops much less server).

Eh... I have to disagree. It's bothering me a lot lmao, I think it's averaging somewhere between 20-25 frames and tanks every time the Werehog's fur is on screen. It's really frustrating.

Boom Wii U is trash, particularly after it got patched. Don't bother.

I'll give you the same advice I gave myself after years of being fairly into the forum, and then transitioning into being pretty hands-off and only checking it out every now and then:

Don't care so much. It's not worth it.

It's a forum that's changed quite dramatically over the decade-plus, and quite often the discussion you had read prior to registering is not going to be the same after you have registered and started actively posting. People are going to have oddball opinions, or outlandish posting styles, and that's not something that's worth occupying your time with or getting frustrated with. People will be hyperbolic because it's either what they genuinely believe, they have a forum persona to live up to, or they simply want attention/to be tagged. It's something to either outright ignore if that's the poster's style or MO, or take into consideration and weigh your options as to whether or not you want to care so much. Nine times out of ten, after seeing the same comments posted over and over (and usually by the same people), it starts to go in one ear and out the other.

The same series are going to have the same amount of hyperbole thrown at it, particularly if they are long running, or if they have a lot of dud games. Point is, it's not worth it to get worked up about it because it's a thread on a discussion forum that's going to blow in the wind when someone eventually kills the thread/people move on. You have better things to spend your time with.

Haha. People know where to find me.

And certain people know what happened to my family and I for the last year, so I didn't have time to post at all. Even putting the SotY 2015 thread up at all last year was kind of a miracle.

Yeah, you're right ✌️️

Sciz

It's a shame that the Boom brand is shackled to a procession of bad-to-mediocre games, as the show proper is a pretty reliable fountain of only somewhat recycled wit, and I'm not sure if that's in spite of or because of its hackneyed premise.

All I know is, any show that's self-aware enough to lampoon how incongruous Shadow's character is with its own tone is one I want to keep watching.

Tizoc

Woah didnt know about the stuff schala's been thru, tho, and no offense intended, it sounds like the kind f personal thing that i wouldnt want to pry in out of respect :x
Glad to see things are getting better for yo tho

TreIII

Well, I don't know what situation y'all are referencing here, but I'm glad whatever it was worked out.

Same here.

I've certainly come to appreciate the "Gaming Community" side of GAF more and more in the last few years. It's pretty much the main way that I've been able to main my sanity and even bother to still come to this site.

But even there, when you're in your own niches, it gets to be that you never know what kinds of things people may be going through...

Sciz

Same here.

I've certainly come to appreciate the "Gaming Community" side of GAF more and more in the last few years. It's pretty much the main way that I've been able to main my sanity and even bother to still come to this site.

But even there, when you're in your own niches, it gets to be that you never know what kinds of things people may be going through...

Somewhere in the old SonicGAF threads you'll find a moment in time where a bunch of mods dropped in to talk about the growing problem of GAF's best posters choosing to isolate themselves in community threads rather than participating in the main boards.

Guess nothing's really changed on that front.

But have you heard Galaxy, Beef?

RK128

Somewhere in the old SonicGAF threads you'll find a moment in time where a bunch of mods dropped in to talk about the growing problem of GAF's best posters choosing to isolate themselves in community threads rather than participating in the main boards.

Guess nothing's really changed on that front.

That is interesting, as I find myself personally posting less on the Gaming Side and more on either here, the Discoid chat or the PSN Thread.

I think people that like to talk about games, do so in open places that are free of the bile the main threads have sometimes, so I completely understand people pushing their content on the Community Side of Gaf.

That is interesting, as I find myself personally posting less on the Gaming Side and more on either here, the Discoid chat or the PSN Thread.

I think people that like to talk about games, do so in open places that are free of the bile the main threads have sometimes, so I completely understand people pushing their content on the Community Side of Gaf.

IT'S DISCORD, NOT DISCOID

YOU WANT BILE, I'LL GIVE YOU BILE YOU LOUSY FHBFUYBVDRFBVLSDHRYBVGSED

sarcasm, just in case

Glad things are working out better, Schala! Keep on truckin' like Vector

116px-0,51,0,56-Vector_Chaotix_Walk.gif

Sonic Boom Wii U is one of the main reasons I want to get a Wii U actually.

Don't be about the shitty game life, man. I've got a useless copy of Sonic 06' that cost me entirely too much money because of it :(

Top Bottom