• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Oooo gotta think about my favorite soundtrack. Not including Generations, in no particular order:

Sonic 3 &K
Sonic 2
Sonic 1
Sonic CD
Sonic Colors
Adventure 1
Adventure 2
Sonic Rush
Sonic R
Sonic Unleashed

Elija2

Sonic Runners Adventure is just... out apperently

sonicrunnersadventure4.jpg

Why does it look worse than the original Sonic Runners?

Hmmmm, US or JP/EU?

It's a tough choice, but I'm a slightly bigger fan of the Spencer Nilsen soundtrack. Some of the Japanese tracks are better (Stardust Speedway for example), but on whole I think I enjoy the US tracks slightly more. Plus you get tastes of the Japanese tracks in the US game as well with the past tracks.

I finally listened to Sonic Boom Rise of the Lyric....is the compositional style a plus or a minus? I tend to actually kind of enjoy it even though i can see the criticisms of it being repetitive.

It's a tough choice, but I'm a slightly bigger fan of the Spencer Nilsen soundtrack. Some of the Japanese tracks are better (Stardust Speedway for example), but on whole I think I enjoy the US tracks slightly more. Plus you get tastes of the Japanese tracks in the US game as well with the past tracks.

Cool, it's weird how it tends to be a point of contention, but I guess it kind of boils down to the sound you like the most. The JP soundtrack is just so smooth for me. I love the Collision Chaos tracks, probably my favorite.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric's soundtrack is just a hollywood "cinematic" score. I used to really love those, until I realized they all sound the same and Rise of Lyric's is as generic as they come.

What the What? Is that the Egg Dragoon again? Unleashed, Generations and Forces it's shown up in now. Odd. I can't watch the videos until later but fingers crossed Forces is looking ok still. The custom character in these videos better not be that hipster fox thing again!

Characters prattling on during gameplay, errrrgghhh, I hope that can take a backseat when replaying stages, I don't need to hear about no homing shots.

Characters prattling on during gameplay, errrrgghhh, I hope that can take a backseat when replaying stages, I don't need to hear about no homing shots.
What d'ya mean? You don't like the classic mid-stage writing we've gotten in past games like "WHOA, MY HEAD IS SPINNING!", "LOOK AT ALL THOSE EGGMAN'S ROBOTS!", "THE WHOLE CITY'S ON FIRE!" or "THAT TORNADO IS CARRYING A CAR!"?

Village

Apparently the stage we see in 3d sonic is going to find shadow. Ok

Has any of Steve the non descript animal ( that's what I'm calling him shut up ) shown up?

from what ive seen Sonic forces is looking good, modern sonic looks like he's been more balanced, like the speed is in between colors and generations i cant wait to see more stages.

What d'ya mean? You don't like the classic mid-stage writing we've gotten in past games like "WHOA, MY HEAD IS SPINNING!", "LOOK AT ALL THOSE EGGMAN'S ROBOTS!", "THE WHOLE CITY'S ON FIRE!" or "THAT TORNADO IS CARRYING A CAR!"?

Hey Sonic! Did you know you can perform a homing attack by pressing A near an enemy while you're jumping?

Well we might as well get hyped for finding out which silly quotes will take off into meme territory.

Sciz

RK128

"You fucking people don't know what you want, we don't know what you want, fuck it, do everything."

also like 95% sure the new bad guy is just a dark version of your own OC

THIS. This, is why Forces has me baffled by peoples sour reactions. It really has everything.

-Sonic's friends in supporting and major roles in a mainline release for the first time in ages
-Modern Formula returning in full force
-Colors like gameplay via Custom Character feature
-Classic Sonic returning
-New locations and more serious plot
-Remixing older locations in new ways (Green Hill covered in sand for example)
-Lyrical themes in Custom Character stage (invoking memories of SA2 stages)
-Shadow, Metal Sonic, and Chaos Zero 'bad guys'
-Voice acting seemingly more well-rounded and polished

I have my doubts about the game (as it might be having some internal development issues; we never know how game development works sometimes :l) but I am excited notherless. Day-One for me just like Mania.

As long as it plays well enough I'm fine with this kitchen sink approach to see what sticks, partly because Mania is a thing that exists so I'm covered.

It's like the Sonic 4 and Colours combo all over again, except it turned out that 4 was poop and Colours was in fact the good game, what a twist!

Village

THIS. This, is why Forces has me baffled by peoples sour reactions. It really has everything.

I don't... want everything

I wanna 3d sonic game, where you boost and maybe play as other chaarcters like shadow and knuckles. And then you punch a bad guy in the face.

I don't want this, this looks like an organised mess spawed from lack of coherent ideas and a non desire to actually take criticism analyze what it means and interpret that in such a manner that produces good coherent video games.

This game, is the first thing in quite a LONG time, i'm talking since those horrid comic arcs, that makes me feel bad about sonic.

Sonic mania makes me feel good though, you run fast and punch a bad guy in the face. And that's it.

I especially don't want that. I literally slaved though a bad video game, multiple times for 10 endings so he wouldn't be a bad guy. I don't want that, It really feels like sega doesn't know or care to interpret criticism anymore and is just throwing shit at the wall.

RK128

I don't... want everything

I wanna 3d sonic game, where you boost and maybe play as other chaarcters like shadow and knuckles. And then you punch a bad guy in the face.

I don't want this, this looks like an organised mess spawed from lack of coherent ideas and a non desire to actually take criticism analyze what it means and interpret that in such a manner that produces good coherent video games.

This game, is the first thing in quite a LONG time, i'm talking since those horrid comic arcs, that makes me feel bad about sonic.

Sonic mania makes me feel good though, you run fast and punch a bad guy in the face. And that's it.

I especially don't want that. I literally slaved though a bad video game, multiple times for 10 endings so he wouldn't be a bad guy. I don't want that, It really feels like sega doesn't know or care to interpret criticism anymore and is just throwing shit at the wall.

After playing through the entire series last year, I just want to play a fun, original Sonic game again. Been almost six-seven years since a played a mainline-console sonic title (Lost World 3DS doesn't count). So even if it's clustered and unfocused, I will give it a shot.

Hell, we are getting Mania like you just said. That is bound to be fantastic, so if Forces is just 'good', I will be pleased.

Not 100% convenced Shadow is the 'bad guy', as they are pulling dimensional BS (as mentioned with Classic Sonic). For all we know, we have a 'good' shadow helping the crew.

But yeah, just happy we are getting a console sonic game again that holds promise. It might suck. It might be good. But I will give it a chance, like I always do for the series.

Edit: Also consider this Village. SEGA has no f***en idea what to do with the series at this point, so they are just trying to make everyone happy. We just have to see if it works. Stinks they don't know what to do with their flagship mascot but hey, I'm open to whatever Forces brings.

Village

After playing through the entire series last year, I just want to play a fun, original Sonic game again. Been almost six-seven years since a played a mainline-console sonic title (Lost World 3DS doesn't count). So even if it's clustered and unfocused, I will give it a shot.
I'm going to give it a go , because I want to be wrong. But For me, my desire for a thing isn't going to make me like pretend it doesn't look like an unfocused mess.

Hell, we are getting Mania like you just said. That is bound to be fantastic, so if Forces is just 'good', I will be pleased.
I hope its good, I have a feeling were are in for a "2/3rds of this game is bad" though.

Not 100% convenced Shadow is the 'bad guy', as they are pulling dimensional BS (as mentioned with Classic Sonic). For all we know, we have a 'good' shadow helping the crew.
While that's true, that's not the sole issue I have with shadow being a bad guy. Its that it represents the whole problem i've had from the game from jump. From the first moment classic sonic showed up, a lack of confidence. If they had confidence, you wouldn't need characters look past their evil character developments as bad guys , wouldn't need eggman there as the most obvious eventual betrayal.

They don't have confidence in thier bad guy
They don't have confidence in their levels
They don't have confidence in the idea of other play styles and playable characters
They don't have confidence in 3d sonic holding a game by himself with no exterior bullshit
They don't have confidence in sonic.

And this game shows that in spaids. This isn't some big giant anniversary thing like generations, where that was novel. That novelty is gone. It just seems like now, they have no ideas, no confidence in the ideas they have... or both.

but I hope to god , i'm wrong. I hope i'm wrong, I hope this game is the tightest shit ever. But Sega is just repeating behaviors, because they were doing this damn thing around 2006. Not having confidence in a simple idea,

" how about we make a kind of actioney shadow game."

" oh ok what if people don't like it, Oh lets put guns and cursing in it people want that. Instead of focusing on a simple idea, perfecting that then presenting it. We must add extraneous extra bullshit that isn't really needed. That's what people wnat"

and lets not even begin on 06 itself, but my point is. This isn't new behavior , and while I hope to be wrong. Sega's yet to prove me otherwise. It really starting to seem like Colors and generations were a bizarre fluke.

But yeah, just happy we are getting a console sonic game again that holds promise. It might suck. It might be good. But I will give it a chance, like I always do for the series.

That's cool man, I hope it good.
That's all I can do at this point, hope to be wrong

Edit: Also consider this Village. SEGA has no f***en idea what to do with the series at this point, so they are just trying to make everyone happy. We just have to see if it works. Stinks they don't know what to do with their flagship mascot but hey, I'm open to whatever Forces brings.

That doesn't make me feel good.

It makes me feel like they have learned nothing.

I imagine this Infinite character is probably pulling a Dr. Wily/Heroes Metal Sonic and roped Eggman and the other villains into world domination forcefully, if not using other versions of them. That's assuming that they just aren't treating Shadow/Metal/Chaos like they did in Generations in which case the team-up makes perfect sense.

Considering it seems like Sonic is looking for Shadow to get his help in Park Avenue, though, it's probably something closer to the former.

-Sonic's friends in supporting and major roles in a mainline release for the first time in ages
-Modern Formula returning in full force
-Colors like gameplay via Custom Character feature
-Classic Sonic returning
-New locations and more serious plot
-Remixing older locations in new ways (Green Hill covered in sand for example)
-Lyrical themes in Custom Character stage (invoking memories of SA2 stages)
-Voice acting seemingly more well-rounded and polished

I have my doubts about the game (as it might be having some internal development issues; we never know how game development works sometimes :l) but I am excited notherless. Day-One for me just like Mania.

Ah but you're forgetting Chao Gardens, the greatest feature of the series™. Without it Forces is DOA.

Village

Chao gardens were the only reason to keep playing the Sonic Adventure games.

1) Chao garden in adventure 1 is kinda trash, and I don't like playing adventure 1

2) I like playing adventure 2, and that chao garden is good.

The only use sonic adventure 1 has, is finding the golden and silver eggs putting them shits on a gba, putting them shits in sa2, breeding them with shiny eggs. And making translucent chao.

I'm not the biggst fan of sonic adventure 1

I replayed SADX (or...played the DX version for the first time at least) last year after not having played it since getting it on DC. To 100% completion.

And I have no idea how young me did Chao garden stuff. Well actually I do, since I recall leaving sores on my thumb from mashing the cheer button during races. But this time around I just used the animal glitch to push through it, bypassing all of the SA2 stuff they decided to shove in there as well. Though I still ended up with about 3 main chao and saw a whole bunch of neat stuff I don't remember from back in the day.

A-Life is a really amazing system and SA2 is certainly the best utilization of it but sometimes I wonder if people would really take to it like they did before, or if all of that clamoring would end up in a monkey's paw situation for either them or Sonic Team.

I think Forces looks fine. The avatar gameplay is the one that has me less excited, but the boss battle shown looked pretty fun.

I just wish Sega would show more than the 2 levels.

So on Giant Bomb's pre-E3 podcast they talk through what games are likely to be there. When they bring up Sonic Mania Jeff Gerstmann talk about how novel the game is and how deeply it plundered the back catalogue for easter eggs. He talks specifically about a boss fight that
turns into a game of Dr Robotnik's Mean Beam Machine.
which I can't remember hearing anywhere else.

Top Bottom